+ Add a Comment

superspryte

quality posts: 21 Private Messages superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

As on or off-topic as you wish. All are welcome.

Art begins when one person, with the object of joining another or others to himself in one and the same feeling, expresses that feeling by certain external indications. To take the simplest example: a boy, having experienced, let us say, fear on encountering a wolf, relates that encounter; and, in order to evoke in others the feeling he has experienced, describes himself, his condition before the encounter, the surroundings, the woods, his own lightheartedness, and then the wolf's appearance, its movements, the distance between himself and the wolf, etc. All this, if only the boy, when telling the story, again experiences the feelings he had lived through and infects the hearers and compels them to feel what the narrator had experienced is art. If even the boy had not seen a wolf but had frequently been afraid of one, and if, wishing to evoke in others the fear he had felt, he invented an encounter with a wolf and recounted it so as to make his hearers share the feelings he experienced when he feared the world, that also would be art. And just in the same way it is art if a man, having experienced either the fear of suffering or the attraction of enjoyment (whether in reality or in imagination) expresses these feelings on canvas or in marble so that others are infected by them. And it is also art if a man feels or imagines to himself feelings of delight, gladness, sorrow, despair, courage, or despondency and the transition from one to another of these feelings, and expresses these feelings by sounds so that the hearers are infected by them and experience them as they were experienced by the composer.

(from What is Art? by Leo Tolstoy)

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | tg.w: 0 | sp.w: 0 | a.w: 0 | k.w: 0 | s.w: 15 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

Patchitect

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Patchitect

How do you get that post up to the top like that!?

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

Patchitect wrote:How do you get that post up to the top like that!?

I'm fast and watch the board come 1pm. ^_~

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | tg.w: 0 | sp.w: 0 | a.w: 0 | k.w: 0 | s.w: 15 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

SkekTek

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek

It's easy if you are fast. I'm not fast.

Gumiho

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Gumiho

She does it with moxie and witchcraft.

SkekTek

Gumiho wrote:She does it with moxie and witchcraft.

I've got a great idea from a class I took a while back where we had to do a series of line-art drawings using ink and paper (no mistakes allowed!). Two of them were 1) a three-dimensional picture using horizontal likes, varying only the thickness, and 2) a portrait using a single line like that didn't cross or break. I think I'll do the latter, since it was a COOL picture.

kenney9226

quality posts: 7 Private Messages kenney9226

all I need is about 4 hours and 3,000 little pen strokes.

SkekTek

kenney9226 wrote:all I need is about 4 hours and 3,000 little pen strokes.

Or 1 sketch and a photoshop filter.

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

SkekTek wrote:Or 1 sketch and a photoshop filter.

I never thought of that. Ooooh, this makes the derby a lot easier now...

Now I have to come up with something. It's hard to be off-topic when there's no subject, just a style. ^_^

SkekTek

What do people think of this?

Gumiho

SkekTek wrote:I've got a great idea from a class I took a while back where we had to do a series of line-art drawings using ink and paper (no mistakes allowed!). Two of them were 1) a three-dimensional picture using horizontal likes, varying only the thickness, and 2) a portrait using a single line like that didn't cross or break. I think I'll do the latter, since it was a COOL picture.

Nice ideas. I may have to think about them. This will definately be a good day for the tablet artists. But it is rather dissapointing that this derby seems tailor made for a few of the artists.

Gumiho

SkekTek wrote:What do people think of this?

I think that I have no idea what it is.

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

I could see it being rejected for shading in the thicker areas. Adjust that and it's pretty sweet. ^_^

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

Gumiho wrote:I think that I have no idea what it is.

Pshhh, duh. It's a roadrunner. ^_~ Hee, I actually looked at the title to figure that out. ^_________^

SkekTek

superspryte wrote:I could see it being rejected for shading in the thicker areas. Adjust that and it's pretty sweet. ^_^

It's a huge scanned sketch, so when I put it in photoshop, I'd have to replace the fills with lines. It's a digitized sketch of mine, so I have pretty high resolution on it. I might simply keep it raster.

EDIT: It's the first of a series of animal-based art I did a while ago that I termed "MechanArt". I have a crane, whale, doberman, horse and shark to go with it. All animals with metal parts, done in pen and ink. I started converting some of them to vector, but it's slow. Easier to sketch them...

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1

Prof. Tek,

That looks like the most painful vibrator ever.

no1

SkekTek wrote:Or 1 sketch and a photoshop filter.

Prof. Tek,
I don't have PS. Anyone know how to make GIMP do something like that?

SkekTek

no1 wrote:Prof. Tek,

That looks like the most painful vibrator ever.

Ouch.

no1

superspryte wrote:Now I have to come up with something. It's hard to be off-topic when there's no subject, just a style. ^_^

Too...wide...open...brain...locking...up...

SkekTek

no1 wrote:Prof. Tek,
I don't have PS. Anyone know how to make GIMP do something like that?

Not sure, but I think Inkscape might be able to do that. I'd have to check though since I only use it to make vector grunge. You might want to ask one of the Dodgeball regulars...

Gumiho

superspryte wrote:Pshhh, duh. It's a roadrunner. ^_~ Hee, I actually looked at the title to figure that out. ^_________^

Ha. I ought to have tried that.

SkekTek

Gumiho wrote:Ha. I ought to have tried that.

Here's another one I managed to transfer to vector.

I was so pleased how it turned out, I put it in the back of my Ph.D. thesis as the last page.

no1

SkekTek wrote:Not sure, but I think Inkscape might be able to do that. I'd have to check though since I only use it to make vector grunge. You might want to ask one of the Dodgeball regulars...

Dodgeball? I'd have to leave the shirt.woot site for that!

no1

Prof. Tek, you have gorgeous line art.

Gumiho

SkekTek wrote:Here's another one I managed to transfer to vector.

I was so pleased how it turned out, I put it in the back of my Ph.D. thesis as the last page.

You are a man of many, not inconsiderable talents.

kenney9226

Sadly, it violates the "no text" mandate. I can clearly see several Ts, Vs and Os in there, as well as lower case Ls.

Pity.

artulo

quality posts: 13 Private Messages artulo

This is awesome.

They left this so wide open to ideas that I don't know what to do! Someone give me a topic.

no1

artulo wrote:This is awesome.

They left this so wide open to ideas that I don't know what to do! Someone give me a topic.

St. Patrick's Day

edit: I'm pretty much in the same boat.

artulo

quality posts: 13 Private Messages artulo
Gumiho wrote:Nice ideas. I may have to think about them. This will definitely be a good day for the tablet artists. But it is rather disappointing that this derby seems tailor made for a few of the artists.

I don't think it's disappointing at all. Even though I don't have five percent of the detailing ability of some of those out there, just knowing what will come makes me work that much harder to do a quality entry or two.

Gumiho

kenney9226 wrote:Sadly, it violates the "no text" mandate. I can clearly see several Ts, Vs and Os in there, as well as lower case Ls.

Pity.

Riotous.

SkekTek

kenney9226 wrote:Sadly, it violates the "no text" mandate. I can clearly see several Ts, Vs and Os in there, as well as lower case Ls.

Pity.

Actually, no. Those things that APPEAR as text? They're just lines and curves that APPEARS to be text, but actually is are just randomly placed on the page. Now if they were FILLED in, that'd be bad.

Also, all those gradient fills are evil too.

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

SkekTek wrote:Actually, no. Those things that APPEAR as text? They're just lines and curves that APPEARS to be text, but actually is are just randomly placed on the page. Now if they were FILLED in, that'd be bad.

Gradients? GMV.

kenney9226

SkekTek wrote:Actually, no. Those things that APPEAR as text? They're just lines and curves that APPEARS to be text, but actually is are just randomly placed on the page. Now if they were FILLED in, that'd be bad.

I'll tattle on it, so there!

I bet there's some Ss in that thing, too. You are sending out a subliminal message via that drawing endorsing SLOTS, you gambler, you.

That, and you hate birds, you bird killer. You want to rip off the heads of all birds.

Don't lie to us, we know your secret, you bird-hating gambler.

SkekTek

kenney9226 wrote:I'll tattle on it, so there!

I bet there's some Ss in that thing, too. You are sending out a subliminal message via that drawing endorsing SLOTS, you gambler, you.

That, and you hate birds, you bird killer. You want to rip off the heads of all birds.

Don't lie to us, we know your secret, you bird-hating gambler.

Thanks... I need the laugh. Been a tough week at work. I only rip the heads off of MECHANICAL birds, by the way. The detached head one was because I ran out of space for it on the page, so I drew it above the body

SkekTek

HOORAY!!!

Joel heard our calls for no clip art in the derby thread, and is going to ban the use of clip art for this derby. That means... hand drawn everything! Woohoo!!

eyeslikesugar

quality posts: 2 Private Messages eyeslikesugar
superspryte wrote:I never thought of that. Ooooh, this makes the derby a lot easier now...

Now I have to come up with something. It's hard to be off-topic when there's no subject, just a style. ^_^

Sprite, I still think a mod entering the derby is unfair due to conflict of interest. I will be emailing Joel about it if you do enter. A mod entering makes it unfair to the rest of the applicants; you could use your position of power to garner votes you wouldn't have otherwise gotten.

-James Cho -EdgarRMcherly Shirt.Woot.Com - Ye Oldest Sucker - 2009

Jamesdouglastx

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Jamesdouglastx

hello again,
i just got Illustrator CS3 so im kinda motivated to try another derby.

Iambusyeating

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Iambusyeating
eyeslikesugar wrote:Sprite, I still think a mod entering the derby is unfair due to conflict of interest. I will be emailing Joel about it if you do enter. A mod entering makes it unfair to the rest of the applicants; you could use your position of power to garner votes you wouldn't have otherwise gotten.

Are you being serious?

eyeslikesugar

quality posts: 2 Private Messages eyeslikesugar
Iambusyeating wrote:Are you being serious?

Yes. I think a mod should not be in a voting competition, it makes it too one-sided. If Gatzby entered, I believe more people would vote for him than they would have otherwise, due to his position. Same with dontwantaname; it's a conflict of interest, and i consider it serious. I think if Sprite wanted to be a mod, she should have been willing to sacrifice derby participation. In the end, it will be up to Joel, but I will make my feelings known.

P.S. Word on the street has it in the early derbies, a mod used to participate until people made it known they feel the same way I do. So my feelings are not uncommon.

-James Cho -EdgarRMcherly Shirt.Woot.Com - Ye Oldest Sucker - 2009

SkekTek

eyeslikesugar wrote:Yes. I think a mod should not be in a voting competition, it makes it too one-sided. If Gatzby entered, I believe more people would vote for him than they would have otherwise, due to his position. Same with idontwantaname.

The question would be what would stop someone from entering a design under a non-mod username?

Regardless, the major problem would arise if Woot staff could vote, and therefore preferentially give votes to people they know as volunteer mods. But if that was the case, one would also have to count Shan and Josephus in that list, since they are unofficial judges of the chop contest...