superspryte

quality posts: 21 Private Messages superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

Iambusyeating wrote:What's the history of non-professionals getting dailies? Any at all?

I'm not an artist and I keep getting seriously told to submit a daily.

Then again that could just be people being nice, ahaha.

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | tg.w: 0 | sp.w: 0 | a.w: 0 | k.w: 0 | s.w: 15 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

AttilaTheMom

quality posts: 5 Private Messages AttilaTheMom
Gumiho wrote:I thought you had to be a professional designer to do a daily.

they actually scour the web and myspace for budding artists/designers to submit dailies. Or so the article said. If you have something unique and/or interesting feel free to send it in as a daily. The usual 60 day rules apply I think. And we ARE talking about the same company that printed the evil pink thing what scoots, so it's not like they have any right to hold their noses. And i've seen your work. It's quite printable, and I'd love me some steampunk.

AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH........ whatever.

TAYLORT5

quality posts: 1 Private Messages TAYLORT5

Josephus just lookin up tat drink you said it reminded you of look what i found.

http://www.noapologiespress.com/presents/asiandrink/chrysanthemum.html look at the guy...after further reading I don't know if I shoulda posted this.. oh well...I'm never going to drink it ...

You're on probation!

You've been put on posting probation for this post for this reason: Ok, I deleted it 3 times. Do you not get it? (24h) Personal attack/useless post.

Please stare at the scary cartoon dog for 20 hours and then try posting again.

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

O M G! I'm going to Japan!!!!

*dances crazy happy shocked dance*

(I got the job.)

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | tg.w: 0 | sp.w: 0 | a.w: 0 | k.w: 0 | s.w: 15 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

Schrobblehead

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Schrobblehead
superspryte wrote:O M G! I'm going to Japan!!!!

(I got the job.)

congrats! you're gonna have so much fun.

I'm a Christmas Unicorn! In a uniform made of gold, with a billy-goat beard, and a sorcerer's shield, and mistletoe on my nose!

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
TAYLORT5 wrote:Josephus just lookin up tat drink you said it reminded you of look what i found.

http://www.noapologiespress.com/presents/asiandrink/chrysanthemum.html look at the guy...after further reading I don't know if I shoulda posted this.. oh well...I'm never going to drink it ...

Actually, they're wrong about Pocari Sweat. I used to work for Otsuka Pharmaceuticals, who also make Pokari Sweat, and a bunch of other soft drinks in Japan. Their main competitor in Japan, and much of Asia, is Coke. However, Coke is in a distant second place. Anyway, at their campus in Tokushima, they have a Pokari building, with a giant blue whale made of plaster on the fron of it. It is huge. very cute, too. anyway, it's blowhole is spewing out this saltwater foamy looking stuff, that is going right into a big Pokari Sweat bottle- the implication is that the whale's blowhole liquid is the source for the drink. anyway, that is why it reminded me of the drink, because of the whale. They use it in their advertising too.

Somewhere I have a package of the powdered drink- inside the company, we could just mix it up ourselves. It is not very sweet, and does remind me of gatorade, but it is also pretty addicitive to drink. Not bad at all.

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

Josephus wrote:Actually, they're wrong about Pocari Sweat. I used to work for Otsuka Pharmaceuticals, who also make Pokari Sweat, and a bunch of other soft drinks in Japan. Their main competitor in Japan, and much of Asia, is Coke. However, Coke is in a distant second place. Anyway, at their campus in Tokushima, they have a Pokari building, with a giant blue whale made of plaster on the fron of it. It is huge. very cute, too. anyway, it's blowhole is spewing out this saltwater foamy looking stuff, that is going right into a big Pokari Sweat bottle- the implication is that the whale's blowhole liquid is the source for the drink. anyway, that is why it reminded me of the drink, because of the whale. They use it in their advertising too.

Somewhere I have a package of the powdered drink- inside the company, we could just mix it up ourselves. It is not very sweet, and does remind me of gatorade, but it is also pretty addicitive to drink. Not bad at all.

Pocari Sweat is delish. I'm also a fan of Kirin's milk tea. ^_^

Gumiho

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Gumiho
AttilaTheMom wrote:they actually scour the web and myspace for budding artists/designers to submit dailies. Or so the article said. If you have something unique and/or interesting feel free to send it in as a daily. The usual 60 day rules apply I think. And we ARE talking about the same company that printed the evil pink thing what scoots, so it's not like they have any right to hold their noses. And i've seen your work. It's quite printable, and I'd love me some steampunk.

Ooh. Maybe while I'm away at my conference I'll work on some designs for possible dailys. Just to have them at the ready. Maybe more steampunk stuff. Who knows?

Gumiho

(I got the job.)

I'll be promptly showing up on your doorstep. Expect it.

geekfactor12

quality posts: 11 Private Messages geekfactor12
Iambusyeating wrote:What's the history of non-professionals getting dailies? Any at all?

I think the majority of the people Woot prints as dailies are first-time shirt designers. Some are artists and designers in other mediums (there have been a few photographers, for instance), but there have also been a fair number of people in non-art professions.

It's more a question of whether they like and want to print your shirt than anything else. As long as you can get a semi-decently formatted file to them, you've got as good a shot as anyone.

The main key to dailies is to do something you enjoy and have fun with it. Woot is hard to predict in terms of what they'll print, but generally speaking they seem to like designs that bridge the art and tech worlds. I'd stay away from holiday themes, as Woot often does their own staff-designed shirts for that (not to mention that the aftersales tend to be pretty dismal because of the seasonal nature of the design). But if you have a special interest (like the biologist who did today's shirt, Root System) then that's probably a great place to start- if only because you're likely to have a very different take on the subject than a t-shirt pro might.

TAYLORT5

superspryte wrote:Pocari Sweat is delish. I'm also a fan of Kirin's milk tea. ^_^

applemilk88 shes the one who knows japan to the
Extreme. http://www.youtube.com/user/applemilk1988

You're on probation!

You've been put on posting probation for this post for this reason: Ok, I deleted it 3 times. Do you not get it? (24h) Personal attack/useless post.

TAYLORT5

(I got the job.)

great superspryte have fun when you go, say hi to godzilla for me.how the heck do you get rid of the scrolly thing on the sig...that stuff be driving me crazy.

You're on probation!

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

TAYLORT5 wrote:great superspryte have fun when you go, say hi to godzilla for me.how the heck do you get rid of the scrolly thing on the sig...that stuff be driving me crazy.

You need to rearrange your files so they aren't taller than the sig box height. Not sure what that is but 100 pixels is a good height.

JadenKale

quality posts: 181 Private Messages JadenKale
superspryte wrote:You need to rearrange your files so they aren't taller than the sig box height. Not sure what that is but 100 pixels is a good height.

I think the max width is 450 pixels when in the forums (I figure 350 for the sections under the entries) And I believe I tested the max height at 150 pixels.

TAYLORT5

JadenKale wrote:I think the max width is 450 pixels when in the forums (I figure 350 for the sections under the entries) And I believe I tested the max height at 150 pixels.

thanks the pirate sign I was using was too high. I don't like the scrolly
thing-a-ma-bob.

You're on probation!

JadenKale

quality posts: 181 Private Messages JadenKale
TAYLORT5 wrote:thanks the pirate sign I was using was too high. I don't like the scrolly
thing-a-ma-bob.

nor do I. I don't want to say I tried to get around the settings, but at the same time, it is going around the settings by keeping it at the minimum.

Josephus

JadenKale wrote:nor do I. I don't want to say I tried to get around the settings, but at the same time, it is going around the settings by keeping it at the minimum.

that's not going around the settings- that is complying, as close to the limit as you can.
going around the settings would be figuring a way to make it ignore the size of your image so that it posted a big image without scrolling. If you figure that out, let me know how. ;^)

TAYLORT5

Josephus wrote:that's not going around the settings- that is complying, as close to the limit as you can.
going around the settings would be figuring a way to make it ignore the size of your image so that it posted a big image without scrolling. If you figure that out, let me know how. ;^)

are you getting technical-ality-ism-ary--ply-tion?

You're on probation!

AttilaTheMom

(I got the job.)

woo! congrats! too bad you wont be there when I'm there in 2 weeks.

Josephus

TAYLORT5 wrote:are you getting technical-ality-ism-ary--ply-tion?

sorry- sometimes my scientific background rears its ugly head.

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
Josephus wrote:sometimes my rear is ugly.

TMI

SkekTek

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek
no1 wrote:TMI

fo sho

AttilaTheMom

Gumiho wrote:I'll be promptly showing up on your doorstep. Expect it.

Are you in Japan?

Gumiho

AttilaTheMom wrote:Are you in Japan?

No. But I'll be cramming myself into her suitcase before she goes there.

dontwantaname

quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

(I got the job.)

Congratulations superspryte!!!!
Will you be in Japan all the time? Is it part of the job, or is it the whole job?

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

SkekTek

(I got the job.)

Big happy! Post lots of cool pictures, and hope you get to stick around woot at the same time!

Iambusyeating

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Iambusyeating

Did you know: TGentry eats an adorable puppy each time he finishes in the top 10. Only you can stop him by digging deep within your pockets, pulling out a vote, and attaching it to the dinosaur in my sig. Thank you, and God bless.

Concerned citizen,
Iambusyeating

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

AttilaTheMom wrote:woo! congrats! too bad you wont be there when I'm there in 2 weeks.

Heh, I'm glad I won't be there in 2 weeks. That would be too soon and I'd probably die of shock.

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
Iambusyeating wrote:Did you know: TGentry eats an adorable puppy each time he finishes in the top 10.

He does? I gotta woot something so I can vote for him!

SkekTek

Iambusyeating wrote:Did you know: TGentry eats an adorable puppy each time he finishes in the top 10. Only you can stop him by digging deep within your pockets, pulling out a vote, and attaching it to the dinosaur in my sig. Thank you, and God bless.

Concerned citizen,
Iambusyeating

I thought he ate kittens... sorry my bad. Besides, people also want to vote for kitties, right?

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

dontwantaname wrote:Congratulations superspryte!!!!
Will you be in Japan all the time? Is it part of the job, or is it the whole job?

Full time (heh, salaried but working 29.5 hours a week) for at least a year once I get there, so probably until March 31, 2010, assuming that's when I decide to come back. The school year runs April first to March 31st, as will my contracts, but like any job I can give notice and be on my way back here. I'll be back every few months to visit and such and will still be buying woot stuff (yay!) and shipping it to my permanent address, my stepmom's house. So I won't be going without woot. ^_____^

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

SkekTek wrote:Big happy! Post lots of cool pictures, and hope you get to stick around woot at the same time!

Oh of course I will. Internet is internet. I have no itention of leaving woot. ^_^

AttilaTheMom

To heck with the cute puppies and kitties. People need to go save the cute baby dragons! Vote for the dragon!

PemberDucky

quality posts: 41 Private Messages PemberDucky

Staff

AttilaTheMom wrote:To heck with the cute puppies and kitties. People need to go save the cute baby dragons! Vote for the dragon!

Word to that.
Additionally, congratybations Spryte! I have a friend who is about to leave me for Japan, too. (In the name of luuuv ((and the tech industry)).) It must be a pretty darn magical place!

Lastly, how many Rock Stars do you think a person can drink before the palpitations commence?

-----------------------------------------------
Not sure if you should post that? This slightly-nsfw-flowchart will help.

SkekTek

AttilaTheMom wrote:To heck with the cute puppies and kitties. People need to go save the cute baby dragons! Vote for the dragon!

Man, stuff is FLYING in and out of the fog all of a sudden!

I's got two more too:

Please give them a few if you could... for pride's sake mostly.

AttilaTheMom

SkekTek wrote:Man, stuff is FLYING in and out of the fog all of a sudden!

I's got two more too:

Please give them a few if you could... for pride's sake mostly.

Voted for the skull, had already voted for the roboraptor. Go save the dragon?