snarkygal

quality posts: 5 Private Messages snarkygal
superspryte wrote:Yes, I got probation then too. When have I denied or hid that? Whether it was myself, Jaden, you, Patch, ELS or any other person who was around it was off-topic and Gatzby decided enough was enough. Then I created the Derby Cyberpub to alleviate the tension. It sort of worked.

So you wanna tell us what my getting an hour long probation for talking about food and pictures in the derby thread has to do with anything?

It killed the forum threads.

PemberDucky

quality posts: 41 Private Messages PemberDucky

Staff

superspryte wrote:Yeah, sorry about that... ^_^

Are you, uh...single?

-----------------------------------------------
Not sure if you should post that? This slightly-nsfw-flowchart will help.

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
PemberDucky wrote:It is not personal, I hope you realize. I think the principle is sound. And I'm aaaaall about principles.

Hypothetically speaking, just for fun...

Suppose you have a President having served half to 3/4ths of their first term. The President is the Commander in Chief of the U.S. military, so has has more threatening power, and more to gain from influencing the vote, than a woot mod. Do you think said President should be prohibited from entering the following Presidential contest?

SkekTek

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek
snarkygal wrote:Only a few jealous designers disliked him.

A few? The man does awesome work, and tends to clean up when it comes to winning...

FenStar

quality posts: 16 Private Messages FenStar

BTW, seeing as you all came over from shirt, did you miss the interrogation?
AKA, gen age
sex
occupation
marital status
so on?

Still single, can't imagine why.

PemberDucky

Staff

no1 wrote:Hypothetically speaking, just for fun...

Suppose you have a President having served half to 3/4ths of their first term. The President is the Commander in Chief of the U.S. military, so has has more threatening power, and more to gain from influencing the vote, than a woot mod. Do you think said President should be prohibited from entering the following Presidential contest?

I don't see anything 'fun' about that question. That's a whole lotta cra.p I'm not gonna mess with. I'm just here for the shirts, baby.

no1

FenStar wrote:I am wondering though, I thought everyone hatted Chao, but now everyone is talking about his unfair probation. Why is that? I never knew why there was so much dislike for him either?

He's disliked because sometimes (esp. his early posts, not so much now) he comes across as arrogant. He's popular because he's helpful and hugely talented. A little from column A, a little from column B.

no1

PemberDucky wrote:I don't see anything 'fun' about that question. That's a whole lotta cra.p I'm not gonna mess with. I'm just here for the shirts, baby.

Hypothetical questions are always fun! It's just to see what principle is being defended here.

kenney9226

quality posts: 7 Private Messages kenney9226
no1 wrote:Print it on the bottom on the back of the shirt, so it looks like someone kissed butt.

great idea, although I remember that Mr Sephus' duct tape man shirt was unable to get the duct cape printed on it. Maye really low on the front, like someone kissed your, belly button.

Iambusyeating wrote:I look forward to voting for Mr Pucker.

Please, please, people, only vote for my entry if you really want one! But I am glad there's a small group of enthusiastic supporters there. I shall try not to disappoint you this week!

superspryte

quality posts: 21 Private Messages superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

My friend's coming over for our book club tonight so I'll be missing for a little, but then I'll be back to design my little fingers off. If you're good I'll answer the asl type questions too. Maybe. ^_^

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | tg.w: 0 | sp.w: 0 | a.w: 0 | k.w: 0 | s.w: 15 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

Iambusyeating

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Iambusyeating
PemberDucky wrote:I don't see anything 'fun' about that question. That's a whole lotta cra.p I'm not gonna mess with. I'm just here for the shirts, baby.

W00! SHIRTS!

Iambusyeating

kenney9226 wrote:Please, please, people, only vote for my entry if you really want one! But I am glad there's a small group of enthusiastic supporters there. I shall try not to disappoint you this week!

Umm... can probationed people upload shirts?

FenStar

kenney9226 wrote:Probation

Odd, what did he do?

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

kenney9226 wrote:Please, please, people, only vote for my entry if you really want one! But I am glad there's a small group of enthusiastic supporters there. I shall try not to disappoint you this week!

Awww, Kenney...

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | tg.w: 0 | sp.w: 0 | a.w: 0 | k.w: 0 | s.w: 15 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

no1

Ouch, what did kneny get probated for?

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

Iambusyeating wrote:Umm... can probationed people upload shirts?

Yeah they can. They can still vote too.

kenney9227

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kenney9227
FenStar wrote:Odd, what did he do?

I'm pretty sure he wrote something like "FIRST OBNOXIOUS POSTER" on today's wwwoundup page.

or something like that.

See you in 72 hours...

Gumiho

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Gumiho
kenney9227 wrote:I'm pretty sure he wrote something like "FIRST OBNOXIOUS POSTER" on today's wwwoundup page.

or something like that.

See you in 72 hours...

Ha! Oh the b&hammer.

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

no1 wrote:Ouch, what did kneny get probated for?

Looks like "first!" or something to that effect.

FenStar

kenney9227 wrote:I'm pretty sure he wrote something like "FIRST OBNOXIOUS POSTER" on today's wwwoundup page.

or something like that.

See you in 72 hours...

Why did he do that?

SkekTek

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek
superspryte wrote:Yeah they can. They can still vote too.

Wow... you were 1 post away from 2 million...

Iambusyeating

superspryte wrote:Yeah they can. They can still vote too.

Thank you Jesus! A derby without a pucker is like pizza without cheese or tomato sauce.

kenney9227

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kenney9227
FenStar wrote:Why did he do that?

because someone had to.

FenStar

FenStar wrote:BTW, seeing as you all came over from shirt, did you miss the interrogation?
AKA, gen age
sex
occupation
marital status
so on?

PemberDucky

Staff

kenney9227 wrote:because someone had to.

It's true.

Gumiho

FenStar wrote:Why did he do that?

He took one for team obnoxious. It hit him on the chin pretty hard, but he'll bounce back. His type always does.

krapposelli

quality posts: 0 Private Messages krapposelli
snarkygal wrote:It killed the forum threads.

Rather, I think it cleaned them up to be on topic. There has been off-topic (and derby topic) banter here, where it's supposed to have been all along.

no1

kenney9226 wrote:great idea, although I remember that Mr Sephus' duct tape man shirt was unable to get the duct cape printed on it. Maye really low on the front, like someone kissed your, belly button.

I thought that was just because woot only prints on one side.

krapposelli

no1 wrote:I thought that was just because woot only prints on one side.

That's what I thought also. I saw KLS's picture of her daily from yesterday and it looked pretty low. I think there's hope for a low, rear placement if he chooses. They could print it as low as they possibly could...

eyeslikesugar

quality posts: 2 Private Messages eyeslikesugar
superspryte wrote:Oy who'd have thought my entering a derby would make a difference? I'm going to because I have a couple ideas...although I'm not sure I'll be able to get them done in time for the rush, ahaha! Everyone chill out; I'd never probate someone or hold a grudge for a vote or not, seriously. If that were the case I'd already have a list of people I'd have it in for. That would be a little silly. For those who feel like it's a conflict of interest I'm sorry you feel that way. I don't think it's fair that I should be forced to hide a design that's mine so there will be no second names for me either. If anyone's wondering, woot staff have submitted to contests before and have never won.

When my submissions go up if you don't like them don't vote for them, same as everyone else. Give feedback same as everyone else. If anything my being a mod will have a negative impact on my submissions, I think. We'll see what happens. ^_^

Soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo why can't you do it under another name?

-James Cho -EdgarRMcherly Shirt.Woot.Com - Ye Oldest Sucker - 2009

Gumiho

eyeslikesugar wrote:Soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo why can't you do it under another name?

Because she shouldn't have to just because of a few people's personal prejudices. Like someone before me said (don't recall who), none of these things are a concern until they happen and woot can weigh in then.

scubasm

quality posts: 0 Private Messages scubasm
eyeslikesugar wrote:Soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo why can't you do it under another name?

Anybody posting under other names has always seemed a little dishonest to me, because you're lying about your identity. Also, if someone has more than one username (that has purchased items, of course), then they have more than one vote on each design they like, which also seems dishonest. There is also no way for the woot community to see and complain about those sorts of actions. I also remember (back in the day) woot really cracked down on duplicate accounts, in part because people were using them to bypass the three item limit per woot. In short, I think encouraging anyone to have multiple accounts and encouraging them to use them is a little dishonest, and additionally opens up a can of worms ethics-wise that the public can't monitor, whereas if spryte continues to post entries in the derbies and chop contests, the community will be able to monitor her activities very easily. Because those activities can be monitored (and members of the community can complain above her head, so to speak), it is quite possible that she will be held to a higher standard of behavior than your average poster.

On a side note, I'd like to see all the questions of who can and cannot enter in the derbies resolved before they start designing, that way, if they aren't allowed to post they haven't wasted a number of hours working on a design. Waiting until they post one, and then trying to get it rejected on grounds that are irrelevant to the design just rubs me the wrong way.

eyeslikesugar

Gumiho wrote:Because she shouldn't have to just because of a few people's personal prejudices. Like someone before me said (don't recall who), none of these things are a concern until they happen and woot can weigh in then.

Well, I'm just trying to avoid future issues.

krapposelli

scubasm wrote:Anybody posting under other names has always seemed a little dishonest to me, because you're lying about your identity. Also, if someone has more than one username (that has purchased items, of course), then they have more than one vote on each design they like, which also seems dishonest. There is also no way for the woot community to see and complain about those sorts of actions. I also remember (back in the day) woot really cracked down on duplicate accounts, in part because people were using them to bypass the three item limit per woot. In short, I think encouraging anyone to have multiple accounts and encouraging them to use them is a little dishonest, and additionally opens up a can of worms ethics-wise that the public can't monitor, whereas if spryte continues to post entries in the derbies and chop contests, the community will be able to monitor her activities very easily. Because those activities can be monitored (and members of the community can complain above her head, so to speak), it is quite possible that she will be held to a higher standard of behavior than your average poster.

On a side note, I'd like to see all the questions of who can and cannot enter in the derbies resolved before they start designing, that way, if they aren't allowed to post they haven't wasted a number of hours working on a design. Waiting until they post one, and then trying to get it rejected on grounds that are irrelevant to the design just rubs me the wrong way.

Another good point. I think people have received really, really long probations when they have been caught with duplicate identies - I think they also risk IP banning.

no1

scubasm wrote:I also remember (back in the day) woot really cracked down on duplicate accounts, in part because people were using them to bypass the three item limit per woot.

I can't imagine seeing a woot that I'd want to buy more than three of. I can just barely imagine a woot I'd want to buy one of.

krapposelli

eyeslikesugar wrote:Well, I'm just trying to avoid future issues.

Apparently the woot gods don't think it's an issue.

PemberDucky

Staff

Gumiho wrote:Because she shouldn't have to just because of a few people's personal prejudices. Like someone before me said (don't recall who), none of these things are a concern until they happen and woot can weigh in then.

I take the word 'prejudice' kind of seriously. And I don't think it was appropriately used there.

eyeslikesugar

krapposelli wrote:Apparently the woot gods don't think it's an issue.

Well, I haven't emailed them yet.. so one never knows. Besides, we all know how fickle Woot is.. they might see it as an issue eventually.

eyeslikesugar

PemberDucky wrote:I take the word 'prejudice' kind of seriously. And I don't think it was appropriately used there.

Agreed. But, I try to let it roll off my back. =) Thank you, though.

no1

Gatzby wrote:I don't have any issue with volunteer moderators participating in the contests. They are, first and foremost, members of the community and were chosen, generally speaking, because of their outstanding participation there. They have no more control over who wins that anyone else involved in the derby and are forced to endure rigorous beatings in addition to submitting. Plus they know we know where they live... bwaha!

Gatzby wrote:Volunteer moderators are very much under the same limitations as anyone else. Their "powers" extended, more or less, to deleting posts, probating users, and locking the occasional thread. Seriously, we just use them for the free labor; they don't get to have opinions (Kidding! Kidding... sort of.).

The better question probably is, "What safeguards are there in place to prevent manipulation or the appearance of manipulation in the Derby, regardless of the status of the user?" The answer? I have no idea -- that's one for the codeslaves.