Re: Steampunk is not Dead

Cool picture!

2thFairy

quality posts: 2 Private Messages 2thFairy
Re: eye c u

Is that a fox coming out the other end?

Skwidspawn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Skwidspawn

It's a great drawing, my favorite out of this derby so far. Two things I would change though: 1) As per the poster above, change the 'white' to the t-shirt color, or make it a negative with the lines being the color of the t-shirt, 2) Lose the box around the drawing, it makes the sequoia seem 'detatched' from the shirt.

2thFairy

Re: Sequoia

Great drawing.

riveral

quality posts: 0 Private Messages riveral
auggie24 wrote:I would revise the moon. I love the simplicity of this design, and even the colors, but there is supposed to be no 'fill' on the shirt. Revise the moon by lining in the moon, and this is golden.

I wasn't even thinking about that, thanks for the heads up. I really like my original design but I think you may be right about it being considered a fill.

Here is the revision:
http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=10747

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
caspianta wrote:i don't know what's bigger...his pitchfork, or the copyright infringement of this shirt. hmm, tough one.

American Gothic was live traced before and not axed. I don't think woot cares.

2thFairy

Re: Skull on Cranberry

Wow.. forlorn skull and crossbones. Cool.

Skwidspawn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Skwidspawn
ThornsBlood wrote:I think the box makes it look like a landscape almost. You have to look at the smaller version to see it. Anyways, I like it.

The funny thing is if you flip it upside down it IS a landscape, with the spiral being the sun with beams and everything. Might consider that as a resubmission.
A great design, though i agree that the 'invisible box' is detrimental to it.

2thFairy

Re: String Theory

Nice.

2thFairy

Re: Dumb Waiter

Love it!!

tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

bluchez wrote:I understand real life. Mine gets in the way of me even trying to enter most weeks, in fact, but occasionally I find some time to try out this "art" thing. I just wanted to offer my suggestions on the subject, because I like a lot of your work, but I feel it is often missing that small attention to details that detract from the overall piece to me. I know this isn't bluchez.woot, and I am speaking MY opinion, not fact as to what constitutes art, but I would much rather have seen the extra time put into this piece that was put into moonshiners and the red/black bird thing. I think it truly would have been incredible. Your attitude about taking a piece that you have been proud of for years (very appropriately), and wanting to rush out a design based on it is tough for me to follow, I guess.

Well, I think it still looks nice. If I had more time to spend on it I would, but I'm not unhappy with the results. If you don't care for it, that's perfectly ok. I think the time involved in the design still shows through. Everyone seems to be moving towards the idea that every design has to have that infinitesimal attention to perfection that Cho and Jimiyo put forth. They're awesome artists and their stuff looks amazing without question. Not everyone can spend hours and hours on end making sure every line is perfect. Frankly I don't care if every line is perfect anymore. That's them and this is me. I get paid professionally to come up with ideas and get them across. Most of the artwork I do now is sketchy and quick. Also doing these shirts isn't how I make my living, it's a hobby, and not even my main hobby. I like to spend some time doing it, but I like being with my family and friends even more. Basically what I'm saying is I'm an amateur that likes to spend 2 or 3 hours a week on shirt.woot, I'm not trying to reach Shirt Design Nirvana. I know this is a shirt design contest, and shirts are mainly about aesthetics, so I can appreciate that the aesthetic is important. If you don't like mine, you're free to vote for something you like more.

AdderXYU

Re: Aviator Chick

Lisa "Left Eye" Lopez?

2thFairy

Re: springtime

Wow wow Wow!!!! Gorgeous!

jimiyo

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jimiyo

regarding RoboRaptor..

this, my third ATHF reference, i thought it looked like

turkeytron from the year 9595

AdderXYU

dekonstruct wrote:You are the John Cage of Shirt.woot!

So no one wears his shirt, but the detritus in the air "composes" clothing for them?

kstash

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kstash
2thFairy wrote:Wow wow Wow!!!! Gorgeous!

Thanks I'm glad you like it!

kimbo3311

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kimbo3311
Re: Oh fer Cute

Are you from Minnesota or are you poking fun at the Minnesotan accent? because I know like 50 people who use "Oh fer cute" in general conversation... which makes this shirt hilarious.

heartluce

quality posts: 10 Private Messages heartluce
Re: springtime

Liking the colors design and placement. GMV.

imaware003

quality posts: 0 Private Messages imaware003

dedo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dedo

Bravo, Tgent! Your priorities are in the right place--great design!

artulo

quality posts: 13 Private Messages artulo
Re: Nuts and bolts

I love the 3d look of this - great job!

heartluce

quality posts: 10 Private Messages heartluce
Re: oh crud

Re-looking at this design, what I love most is the sense of humor. As well as the beautiful illustration. Really pulling for this!

AdderXYU

Re: Death on a Pale White UNICORN!

Aww hells yes.

I want this more than I've wanted any woot shirt in a good month.

iheartwars

quality posts: 0 Private Messages iheartwars

I usually hate these sort of wear a piece of art shirts, but this one rocks pretty hard. Hope it does well!

artulo

gargrazz wrote:My first official effort using the tablet. I think I like using it. Shading with hand-drawn tablet lines is hard, though.

Great job! Now that I use a tablet I cannot imagine going back. You're right about shading, it takes some getting used to and a steady hand, plus another hand on the undo button.

thatrobert

quality posts: 26 Private Messages thatrobert
artulo wrote:I love the 3d look of this - great job!

Thank you. Wow, you're really watching the new stuff -- you were able to comment before I did!

artulo

Nekkochan wrote:Oh man, you bet I want one! Why no tail on the vampire giraffe, though?

Very cool, and I'll echo the above sentiment. Vampire giraffe needs a tail!

bluchez

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bluchez
Re: Cool Sophistication

Love

They came from two different worlds. One from the arctic tundra, one from the woodlands of North America. It was a chance meeting, for sure, but one that would ultimately send these two carnivores on an adventure like nothing they had experienced before, called love.

Samantha was her name. She was the best lookin polar bear in the land. Long silky white hair that shines so brightly in the sun, and long beautiful fingernails that she meticulously applied red "dye" to from her most recent penguin dinner (artistic license). Now, Samantha was no ordinary polar bear, she had standards. She wasn't the type to hook up with a bad-boy polar bear, she was a classy broad. One day, while fishing for giant squid (al) off the shore of her 3 bedroom glacier (al), she got tangled up in a fishing net catching artctic koi (al) and taking them to feed the walruses at the Paris Zoo (al).

Franklin was his name. He was the runt of his weasel colony. Even his cousins the muskrats (al), made fun of his short snout and small legs. Franklin hasn't had anything go his way his entire life. When he was a young weasling (al), merely 8 weeks old, he was separated from his entire family for six days when he slipped off a branch and fell to the ground. Little did he know, his family didn't even climb down the tree to check on him, just figured something would finish him off. Today was like any other, and Franklin was having no luck. He was sent out to find some food, had ambushed a mallard duck swimming in a lake (al), latched onto it's tail, and now he finds himself hanging precariously from his leg somewhere over the atlantic ocean (al).

They both arrived in Paris at the exact same time. Samantha was being offloaded from a freighter ship (al), and Franklin had just crawled to shore after swimming the last 3 miles after the duck had dove into the water to get a drink (al).

Now, let me step back here to say, if you don't believe Paris is the city of love, you must have never been there. (al)

All it took was one look through the air holes in her crate, and Samatha knew that lying there on the beach was the man she would one day marry. (Now, let me comment that the airholes were pretty small, and there was a bit of distance involved, so she might have been overestimating his overall proportions.) (al) It was love at first sight, nothing else in the world mattered. Samantha quickly tore the steel door off of her cage (al), ran across the docks to the beach, grabbed the still gasping for air Franklin up (and was quite surprised at how small he ended up being, but love is love), stole a rowboat, and headed out in the harbor. (al)

It's important to remember the state that Franklin is in at this point. He's been dangling from a duck's leg for 2 weeks (al) over the atlantic ocean. He's had no food, nothing to drink, and his left arm is mighty sore. Add to this he was just scooped up off the beach by a ravaging polar bear, kidnapped aboard a rowboat, and is now headed back out to sea.

This took some explaining when he finally regained consciousness, but seeing Samantha's beautiful face sparkling in the moonlight, the city of Paris lit up over the reflecting harbor (al), there was nothing he could do. He too, was in love. That night, right there in the rowboat, Samantha prepared a delicious feast of sea urchin with blue cheese salad, spicey seahorse wings, a cup of soothing hot brain coral tea, and the most delicious octopus sushi that Franklin had ever tasted. (al) They laid together in the rowboat talking until morning, with not a care in the world.

It's now three years later, and they currently reside together in Northern Canada (all relationships require compromises, and even though noone wants to live in Canada, it was the best average of their two relative climates). (al) When Franklin got home from workin in the bear trap factory (al), Samantha gave him the fantastic news. They were going to have a baby. (al) They sat down together and dreamt of his future. He will most certainly have the classic rugged physique of a polar bear, with the intelect of a weasel. He will have all of Samantha's class, with Franklin's slimmer frame and less pronounced nose. They will send him to the best schools money can buy, and he will one day make them proud by being known the first animal to be seen on the cover of Forbe's magazine. Only time will tell, but they can dream, can't they?

jimiyo

AdderXYU wrote:Aww hells yes.

I want this more than I've wanted any woot shirt in a good month.

thanks AdderXYU.... its sans happy face on your recommendation... although i left the stars cause unicorns... always have stars surrounding them. but i think someone else mentioned the stars.

;j

jimiyo

bluchez wrote:Love

They came from two different worlds. One from the arctic tundra, one from the woodlands of North America. It was a chance meeting, for sure, but one that would ultimately send these two carnivores on an adventure like nothing they had experienced before, called love.

Samantha was her name. She was the best lookin polar bear in the land. Long silky white hair that shines so brightly in the sun, and long beautiful fingernails that she meticulously applied red "dye" to from her most recent penguin dinner (artistic license). Now, Samantha was no ordinary polar bear, she had standards. She wasn't the type to hook up with a bad-boy polar bear, she was a classy broad. One day, while fishing for giant squid (al) off the shore of her 3 bedroom glacier (al), she got tangled up in a fishing net catching artctic koi (al) and taking them to feed the walruses at the Paris Zoo (al).

Franklin was his name. He was the runt of his weasel colony. Even his cousins the muskrats (al), made fun of his short snout and small legs. Franklin hasn't had anything go his way his entire life. When he was a young weasling (al), merely 8 weeks old, he was separated from his entire family for six days when he slipped off a branch and fell to the ground. Little did he know, his family didn't even climb down the tree to check on him, just figured something would finish him off. Today was like any other, and Franklin was having no luck. He was sent out to find some food, had ambushed a mallard duck swimming in a lake (al), latched onto it's tail, and now he finds himself hanging precariously from his leg somewhere over the atlantic ocean (al).

They both arrived in Paris at the exact same time. Samantha was being offloaded from a freighter ship (al), and Franklin had just crawled to shore after swimming the last 3 miles after the duck had dove into the water to get a drink (al).

Now, let me step back here to say, if you don't believe Paris is the city of love, you must have never been there. (al)

All it took was one look through the air holes in her crate, and Samatha knew that lying there on the beach was the man she would one day marry. (Now, let me comment that the airholes were pretty small, and there was a bit of distance involved, so she might have been overestimating his overall proportions.) (al) It was love at first sight, nothing else in the world mattered. Samantha quickly tore the steel door off of her cage (al), ran across the docks to the beach, grabbed the still gasping for air Franklin up (and was quite surprised at how small he ended up being, but love is love), stole a rowboat, and headed out in the harbor. (al)

It's important to remember the state that Franklin is in at this point. He's been dangling from a duck's leg for 2 weeks (al) over the atlantic ocean. He's had no food, nothing to drink, and his left arm is mighty sore. Add to this he was just scooped up off the beach by a ravaging polar bear, kidnapped aboard a rowboat, and is now headed back out to sea.

This took some explaining when he finally regained consciousness, but seeing Samanthas beautiful face sparkling in the moonlight, the city of Paris lit up over the reflecting harbor (al), there was nothing he could do. He too, was in love. That night, right there in the rowboat, Samantha prepared a delicious feast of sea urchin with blue cheese salad, spicey seahorse wings, a cup of soothing hot brain coral tea, and the most delicious octopus sushi that Franklin had ever tasted. (al) They laid together in the roboat talking until morning, with not a care in the world.

It's now three years later, and they currently reside together in Northern Canada (all relationships require compromises, and even though noone wants to live in Canada, it was the best average of their two relative climates). (al) When Franklin got home from workin in the bear trap factory (al), Samantha gave him the fantastic news. They were going to have a baby. (al) They sat down together and dreamt of his future. He will most certainly have the classic rugged physique of a polar bear, with the intelect of a weasel. He will have all of Samantha's class, with Franklin's slimmer frame and less pronounced nose. They will send him to the best schools money can buy, and he will one day make them proud by being known the first animal to be seen on the cover of Forbe's magazine. Only time will tell, but they can dream, can't they?

man thats long.

can you summarize, i didnt take the time to read it... is it a story, from skim it looks like a story

got like a wiki on it or anything?

hehe... jokes jokes.

AdderXYU

Re: Optical Illusion

I'd be shocked if this was one color

jamescho84

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jamescho84
tgentry wrote:

I can definitely agree with you on this tgentry. Time, sweat, lines, do not equate to a good design. This is just simple fact. I think your design stands with it's cleanliness, it fits perfectly with the idea you chose, it has perfect balance and shouldn't be messed with extraneous detail. You learn 101 that simple designs are harder than complex ones, because it takes that much more effort to have elements look great without adding in - with that said, thank you for designing and submitting this as is.

AdderXYU

Ashleyrah wrote:I like the perspective, but I think this would count as two ink colors - white and black. If you would make the shirt itself white or make the interior of the tree blue I think it would fit the rules better.

You don't think it would count as two ink colors. You know it would count as two ink colors. There's no need to be PC about it... the sooner he knows it's gonna be rejected, the sooner he can either fix it, or complain that we hate his design.

8project6

quality posts: 0 Private Messages 8project6
Re: Bee Attack

I like it, elephants tails are way smaller though

tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

jamescho84 wrote:I can definitely agree with you on this tgentry. Time, sweat, lines, do not equate to a good design. This is just simple fact. I think your design stands with it's cleanliness, it fits perfectly with the idea you chose, it has perfect balance and shouldn't be messed with extraneous detail. You learn 101 that simple designs are harder than complex ones, because it takes that much more effort to have elements look great without adding in - with that said, thank you for designing and submitting this as is.

Thanks Cho, I really appreciate that. I hope it didn't seem like I was dumping on your use of linework when I used you and Jimiyo as examples. You guys really do excel at your craft, which is what every artist strives for. I was just trying to impart to Bluchez that this isn't really my craft, it's a hobby. I like to think I put that kind of attention to detail and thought into my other work, which I put a lot of thought, time, and effort into. Anyway, keep up the great work (but take a week off now and then so the rest of us have a chance ;) ).

wooterer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wooterer
Re: Chill City: Revision

Fill at the bottom will get it rejected...

geekfactor12

quality posts: 11 Private Messages geekfactor12
bluchez wrote:Love

They came from two different worlds... snip... Only time will tell, but they can dream, can't they?

Wow, I inspired a novel!

This pretty much made my day, thanks Bluchez!

jimiyo

Re: Don't Shoot

ha. looks like a c64 game i had once. Stellar 7? I forget...

daedalusknight

quality posts: 1 Private Messages daedalusknight
jwink wrote:Althouhg with the white printing on the black i wonder if they woudl consider the white to be "fill".

Heeheh... I think that's getting a little too technical. It's black lines on a white page, you can see the white background through the black lines. I just trimmed off the background and put it on a black shirt. I guess if you want to be nitpicky, the shirt will use white ink to print the background in, but the rules didn't say that the ink color had to be the line color, just that you could only use one ink color.

What do you say, Woot? Is this acceptable? The design will look aqful if I invert it (I know, I tried it!) and if I put it on a white shirt then then moon will be floating in a white colored night sky... which is very odd. Can my submission stand, as submitted?

daedalusknight

quality posts: 1 Private Messages daedalusknight
daedalusknight wrote: The design will look aqful

Heh... I meant "awful." That'll teach me to post before checking my spelling. :-)