narkus

quality posts: 0 Private Messages narkus
Re: Somebody Play with Me

i like orange a lot and this doggy is soooooooo adorable!

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
joelterrific wrote:I'm a reasonable guy. I weigh the evidence. I keep a level head. But I've hit the tipping point.

These irritatingly cute, ill-proportioned, impractical birds and their fruitless quest for flight have caused me nothing but headaches. The last two or three times they've been submitted, they've brought with them controversy and ill will.

They're BANNED. No more. Put it in the virtual book of derby rules.

Rule: 62 section b: No flying penguins, be it of their own volition or through the assistance of any kind of mechanical device. Some things just aren't natural.

So there is no inference from this rejection, let it be known that this has nothing to do with the existence of other flying penguin designs or their submission in past derbies. There's no copyright on ideas, just on the execution. In fact, it depresses me that there are apparently so many new and unique ways to execute this painful concept.

(Oh, and James, I happen to think this is a particularly wonderful execution, so don't infer anything there either. Too bad it wasn't around before I learned to hate it.)

This is purely emotional, and an admittedly irrational hatred of the subject matter. I will sleep well tonight knowing the next flying penguin I see will be followed swiftly and unequivocally by a hearty REJECTED stamp. If you test me, I'll enjoy the probation as well.

Wheww...

Ah, the aberrant joy of woot's wootiful quirkiness. It's a bummer for all you Penguinites, but they can and do what they will, whenever they want. Now we know, the Age of Penguinairiess is over.

Now, back to my skull...

imthej

quality posts: 0 Private Messages imthej
personnemaime wrote:Well drawn but other than that what's the allure of this shirt? It's a bird on a wreath and I don't mean to target Cho (your Octopus is probably my favorite design of this derby) but this is really boring.

i agree...it's very impressive, but the winners of the derby are designs that should not be on shirts

kylemittskus

quality posts: 259 Private Messages kylemittskus
bluchez wrote:I would like to say that I was really in awe of this piece the first time I saw it. The 50 different times I've seen it since then, in the main thread, the cyberpub thread, and multiple entries, has really changed my awe to meh, though.

I think there is careful threshold to overexposure of an entry, especially before the contest ever begins (where there are not a ton of other entries that you are being simultaneously exposed to). I blame this (partially) for the outright failure of my ray design, and would not be surprised if this piece ends up suffering in the same way. I think you should really have considered keeping some of this to yourself, or some private help from people. As it stands, by the time this piece made it to votable status, I was already ready to move on to the next design.

I want the ray design!!!

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

brizz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages brizz
bluchez wrote:Something about this just doesn't feel right to me. The image as a whole seems flat. This may not be important to something that is drawn as flat (like a bent paperclip), but considering this is supposed to be a very rounded and animated painting, it really detracts from the intended image to me. The illusion of depth is something that is often difficult to achieve in line drawing, but there are many tricks that might have helped here, like making lines taper as they move away from the viewer. All of the lines seem to be almost a solid thickness, including the same thickness in items like the toadstools and the roofline. Since those are so far apart, when it comes to depth, it needs some consideration in line thickness. Something as simple as different line weights and line tapering, to add some depth to the individual ojects, as well as create depth separation between different objects, would greatly increase the appeal for me.

i think this is an excellent assessment. something just seemed lacking to me too...you verbalized perfectly what i was seeing but couldn't quite put my finger on.

narkus

Re: Window Flowers Stained Glass

i really like this...but the doggy has me!! gmv again

kraciwo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kraciwo
Re: Revenge of the Giraffe

Im not quite sure why I like this design, but I think it's awesome.

jimiyo

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jimiyo
Josephus wrote:Ah, the aberrant joy of woot's wootiful quirkiness. It's a bummer for all you Penguinites, but they can and do what they will, whenever they want. Now we know, the Age of Penguinairiess is over.

Now, back to my skull...

Hhahaha... i like

"back to my skull"

cause, after my last DBH submission, and people knocking skulls "ive seen too many skulls lately" i promised myself not to do any more skulls. but i suppose the dos la morte i submitted was previously created, i just fancied it up with some shading.

i think Skulls should be on the next chopping block.

and i would be willing to have my dos la morte rejected today in homage to Cho's loss of the top most contender in the fog.

geekfactor12

quality posts: 11 Private Messages geekfactor12
imthej wrote:i agree...it's very impressive, but the winners of the derby are designs that should not be on shirts

Please tell the group what awesome shirts you would like to see instead. I'd like to chuckle mightily at something :D

narkus

Re: Skull on Cranberry

this is a great skull. i wish it were bigger and centered so someone could really see it. very different

Andy47240

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Andy47240

[quote postid="2003024" user="geekfactor12"]I think Adder is referring to Disinformation Shirts, which does indeed specialize in exactly this type of shirt.

quote]
Some of those are pretty funny.
-Andy

Eulenspiegel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Eulenspiegel
Re: It's all fun and games until...

It's all fun and games until somebody loses an eye. A new take on a universal problem.

Comments are welcome, please vote.

Andy47240

Re: Nuts and bolts

I love it!
-Andy

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
Re: Cheese Lover

Holy creepy, batman. Mice are usually adorable, but I'd stop drinking tapwater if I saw one of these.

Andy47240

Re: Skull on Cranberry

I love skulls, but I think this should be big and centered. Just my Opinion.
-Andy

Andy47240

Switz213 wrote:Bigger version:
http://aycu05.webshots.com/image/45644/2002910852687479392_rs.jpg

Looks like you spent some time on this. Good job.
-Andy

Andy47240

Re: Star and Moon

I like it, but the arms, leg and face are fills.
-Andy

Andy47240

Re: Lines in the Dirt

This looks very impressive, but I would use a darker ink or at least something with some contrast, because it is very hard to see.
-Andy

klswoot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages klswoot
narkus wrote:i like orange a lot and this doggy is soooooooo adorable!

Thanks Narkus! Sorry it wasn't a great dane, but I thought a eager little dog with a tennis ball might warm the hearts of a few voters. Plus...it's a rare orange entry! Wahoo! Thanks for your vote!

Andy47240

jimiyo wrote:Hhahaha... i like

"back to my skull"

cause, after my last DBH submission, and people knocking skulls "ive seen too many skulls lately" i promised myself not to do any more skulls. but i suppose the dos la morte i submitted was previously created, i just fancied it up with some shading.

i think Skulls should be on the next chopping block.

and i would be willing to have my dos la morte rejected today in homage to Cho's loss of the top most contender in the fog.

I love skulls!
I do think that this new penguin rule should apply to anything after the rule is implemented. James worked hard on that piece -before- any rule stated not to.
Just my opinion.
Andy

brizz

tgentry wrote:Well, I think it still looks nice. If I had more time to spend on it I would, but I'm not unhappy with the results. If you don't care for it, that's perfectly ok. I think the time involved in the design still shows through. Everyone seems to be moving towards the idea that every design has to have that infinitesimal attention to perfection that Cho and Jimiyo put forth. They're awesome artists and their stuff looks amazing without question. Not everyone can spend hours and hours on end making sure every line is perfect. Frankly I don't care if every line is perfect anymore. That's them and this is me. I get paid professionally to come up with ideas and get them across. Most of the artwork I do now is sketchy and quick. Also doing these shirts isn't how I make my living, it's a hobby, and not even my main hobby. I like to spend some time doing it, but I like being with my family and friends even more. Basically what I'm saying is I'm an amateur that likes to spend 2 or 3 hours a week on shirt.woot, I'm not trying to reach Shirt Design Nirvana. I know this is a shirt design contest, and shirts are mainly about aesthetics, so I can appreciate that the aesthetic is important. If you don't like mine, you're free to vote for something you like more.

just an observation, but you seem awfully defensive here. I don't think blu was trying to be critical as much as helping to identify what could be improved. That's invaluable advice and you seem awfully quick to dismiss it whenever anyone offers it. *shrug*

narkus

Re: It's all fun and games until...

hee-hee-hee!!!!!

Andy47240

Zenne wrote:Eh, it is crap.

Wow, you are kind of hard on yourself. I think it is great.
-Andy

narkus

Re: Henna

i like the colors you ended up with

Coollikethat

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Coollikethat
Coollikethat wrote:vvv vvv ooooooo TTTTTTTTTTT EEEEEEEE For this shirt, [i] please [i]
vvv vvv ooooooooo TTTTTTTTTTT EEE Bro. & Sis team
vvv vvv oo oo TTT EEEEEEEE
vvvvvv ooooooooo TTT EEE Coollikethat and Hover11
vv ooooooo TTT EEEEEEEE

Srry, that didn't work out.
It was supposed to say VOTE in big letters.
Message- VOTE 'Vote for this shirt, please
Bro. & sis team
Coollikethat And Hover11

"Good Luck...You're gonna need it."
-CLT

mjc613

quality posts: 48 Private Messages mjc613
Re: 100% Zebra

This turned out great Ansharp! And you didn't have to add an outline to the neck!

dontwantaname

quality posts: 15 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

Re: A Spin on Henna

I love this shirt! The color, the print, I want it!!!!!

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

narkus

klswoot wrote:Thanks Narkus! Sorry it wasn't a great dane, but I thought a eager little dog with a tennis ball might warm the hearts of a few voters. Plus...it's a rare orange entry! Wahoo! Thanks for your vote!

this is actually one (top 2)of my favorites; i love everything about it. i love just the two colors and i dig the orange. wish i could get this.

mine are actually greyhounds, not as big as danes but still pretty huge with three of them : ) I can't wait till i can get you started on a painting of them, a month at the latest. my friend has three danes. can you say shillelagh load!!! and i thought i had the poo clean up!

brizz

joelterrific wrote:I'm a reasonable guy. I weigh the evidence. I keep a level head. But I've hit the tipping point.

These irritatingly cute, ill-proportioned, impractical birds and their fruitless quest for flight have caused me nothing but headaches. The last two or three times they've been submitted, they've brought with them controversy and ill will.

They're BANNED. No more. Put it in the virtual book of derby rules.

Rule: 62 section b: No flying penguins, be it of their own volition or through the assistance of any kind of mechanical device. Some things just aren't natural.

So there is no inference from this rejection, let it be known that this has nothing to do with the existence of other flying penguin designs or their submission in past derbies. There's no copyright on ideas, just on the execution. In fact, it depresses me that there are apparently so many new and unique ways to execute this painful concept.

(Oh, and James, I happen to think this is a particularly wonderful execution, so don't infer anything there either. Too bad it wasn't around before I learned to hate it.)

This is purely emotional, and an admittedly irrational hatred of the subject matter. I will sleep well tonight knowing the next flying penguin I see will be followed swiftly and unequivocally by a hearty REJECTED stamp. If you test me, I'll enjoy the probation as well.

Wheww...

frankly, i wish you would apply the same spirit of unpredictable wrath to other aspects of the derby. I just don't understand why these kind of smackdowns only seem to ever come from great work. Why you seem more than willing to randomly create new rules to get rid of really good designs while so many past egregiously bad ones have flown is really hard to swallow.

And for the record, i'm ecstatic that we'll never have to see another flying penguin - but this was patently unfair.

mjc613

Re: springtime

I agree with 2th. It's stunning

shan24

quality posts: 3 Private Messages shan24
dontwantaname wrote:I love this shirt! The color, the print, I want it!!!!!

Thanks! tell all your friends

mjc613

Re: 500PT Stroke

Joel, you knew this was going to happen,:
"No shading, no halftones, and no fills, unless they're simulated using lines. Yes, we understand some of you will call that big filled-in space a "line." We .... Such foolishness is grounds for rejection. "
Why this would be confused with genius is beyond my ken.

mjc613

Re: Exploding Earth

Great graphic, but too depressing for me.

Eulenspiegel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Eulenspiegel
Re: Skulls Skulls Skulls!

Incredible use of negative space, very nice work.

stannley

quality posts: 2 Private Messages stannley
Re: Pleased to meet ya

My son introduces himself and shakes hands with everybody so the thought of him going to the zoo and shaking hands with an elephant made me happy so I drew it

geekfactor12

quality posts: 11 Private Messages geekfactor12
mjc613 wrote:FYI, The Sunshine State is Florida. NY is the Empire State (that's why the Empire State Building is there), and Cal is the Golden State.

Just curious. Was this a political statement?

I think you're reading into this way too much. I'm reasonably certain this user borrowed the idea of a misleading shirt from Disinformation, and then just picked a state outline and motto to use haphazardly.

brizz

Re: Get Lucky

damn.....i just lost a bet. you managed to generate a facile cliparty entry for this theme after all. that wuz teh funneh

sokowa

quality posts: 3 Private Messages sokowa
Re: Hard to Find Good Help . . .

And here it is, my cute entry!
This little imp tried so hard to help out his master but instead he'll be helping clean. That's ok, at least he didn't spill the OTHER bottle. . . .
Enjoy

mjc613

daedalusknight wrote:Heeheh... I think that's getting a little too technical. It's black lines on a white page, you can see the white background through the black lines. I just trimmed off the background and put it on a black shirt. I guess if you want to be nitpicky, the shirt will use white ink to print the background in, but the rules didn't say that the ink color had to be the line color, just that you could only use one ink color.

What do you say, Woot? Is this acceptable? The design will look aqful if I invert it (I know, I tried it!) and if I put it on a white shirt then then moon will be floating in a white colored night sky... which is very odd. Can my submission stand, as submitted?

I'm not Joel, but the guidelines for this derby are pretty specific. "If we can't see daylight between your lines, that's a fill." If you take a look at some of the shirts that have been rejected, you will see that he does get technical.

If this is a white page as you say, why would you have a black background (i.e. shirt)? I recommend you find a way to do outlines or shading to match the rules.

cindyscrazy

quality posts: 3 Private Messages cindyscrazy
Re: oh crud

I WANTTTTTT!!!!!!!

Please win

"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it"--from a T-shirt

https://www.etsy.com/shop/cindyscrazyknits?ref=si_shop