ihgg

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ihgg
Re: Lazy Sunday

wait a minute.. i just realized what i said that wuz teh funneh!! i take it back! people should appreciate nature and all her beauty, but they shouldn't encroach on my fishing waters! oh my i feel smart

CreationsFromChaos

quality posts: 0 Private Messages CreationsFromChaos

Thanks artulo!

Was done in Illustrator... to be honest, yeah it took WAY longer than I had first imagined. Started it late Friday night and worked on it in bits and pieces through Saturday. All told it was probably 5-6 hours of time... though spent some of it watching movies at the same time...

artulo wrote:Wow, really well done!! And I'll echo the previous comment about the background detail - it really is good to see. What did you use to make this? It must have taken forever.

ihgg

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ihgg
Re: Idea Man

oh man... what a great shirt!! GMV

shanagallery

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shanagallery
Re: Death on a Pale White UNICORN!

I bought a pirate shirt just so I could vote on this one! Jimi, I blame you if I get sucked into this woot.culture.

mjc613

quality posts: 47 Private Messages mjc613
Re: Its Head

Love the color scheme, but can't get myself to love the design.

thatrobert

quality posts: 26 Private Messages thatrobert
superspryte wrote:The only thing that gets me about this is the shadows are always in the same place even though the bolts are rotated. It looks coll but that's driving me batty. ^_^;

I'll take that as another vote to announce derby themes earlier in the week! With 24 hours from announcement to opening the doors and early votes so precious, that's the kind of work I had to skip...

superspryte

quality posts: 21 Private Messages superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

thatrobert wrote:I'll take that as another vote to announce derby themes earlier in the week! With 24 hours from announcement to opening the doors and early votes so precious, that's the kind of work I had to skip...

I'm actually all for the 24 hour notice. I don't think having any more time would be beneficial because it wouldn't be just you or I getting that extra time; it would be everyone and that means that Cho and Jimiyo would have time to make more spectacular designs or more designs if they worked just as quickly. If anything, I think having more time between the announcement and derby opening would only widen the gap between the "professional" and "amateur" designers out there.

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | tg.w: 0 | sp.w: 0 | a.w: 0 | k.w: 0 | s.w: 15 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

dekonstruct

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dekonstruct
Re: Space Bunneh!

It would be neat to have glow in the dark on this shirt. Maybe some extra stars you couldn't see until they glowed or something.

Never say never, this shirt could still get fogged. Bunnies know how to hop!
... ok yeah, that was kinda lame... my bad.

MHBoston

quality posts: 4 Private Messages MHBoston
Re: Star and Moon

daedalusknight wrote:It's black lines on a white page, you can see the white background through the black lines. I just trimmed off the background and put it on a black shirt.

So you're misrepresenting the shirt? It's supposed to be a white shirt with black lines? Or do you have a white filled moon on a black shirt? Either way, what you've done breaks the rules.

| w ~ 41 | s.w ~ 44 | so.w ~ 7 | w.w ~ 24 | k.w ~ 1 |

mendaliv

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mendaliv
Re: Planet Earth

Yeah looks like ya took a projected image of the Earth and put it on a circle, which it wasn't intended to be projected on. I like the thought but it doesn't quite work.

You get this from Google Maps or something?

highgrassfarm

quality posts: 0 Private Messages highgrassfarm
ihgg wrote:well i really like it. i wish more people liked to fish... maybe it 'cause i grew up in the country... i cant stand to be squished in with a bunch of people for too long... im sorry but humans aren't good enough creatures to spend all my time with

Thanks! I was hoping there would be more fishing fans here. Maybe the fishing fans log on during the week.

mjc613

Re: doggy dreams

This is a perfect example of line art.

bluchez

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bluchez
mendaliv wrote:Yeah looks like ya took a projected image of the Earth and put it on a circle, which it wasn't intended to be projected on. I like the thought but it doesn't quite work.

You get this from Google Maps or something?

The best I can tell, you are correct, it is a Mercator projection just arbitrarily placed on a circle. This is why anartica was left off, because it would not fit the bottom of a circle.

Might I suggest to the artist, that when trying to do something like this, they look at other possible projections. If one were to use something like the Van Der Grinten projection, the result would have been a circle, but the shapes of the continents relative to it would have made sense.

link

mjc613

Re: a-maze-ing lite-ning

Truly aMAZing. I had fun doing the maze! Too bad this has almost the color scheme as the Lightning bug shirt from woot 2 weeks ago, but GMV regardless.

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

Re: Star and Moon

I can't speak for Joel/Woot on the issue, but I'm pretty sure this will be rejected because you're supposed to make a design with lines, not fills that leave lines as negative space. Creative interpretation of the theme though. ^_^

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | tg.w: 0 | sp.w: 0 | a.w: 0 | k.w: 0 | s.w: 15 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

bluchez

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bluchez
Re: grow

This looks very much like something I would find in Microsoft Word's clip-art gallery, and less like a shirt design.

zippy5087

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zippy5087
Re: Blowing Away

The placement is bold and reflects the well deserved confidence of the artist, but on a T-shirt, it looks like someone made a mistake.

t0ddt0dd

quality posts: 1 Private Messages t0ddt0dd

the tiled .jpg makes an amazing computer desktop - great design!

akaeon182

quality posts: 0 Private Messages akaeon182

neat

thatrobert

superspryte wrote:I'm actually all for the 24 hour notice. I don't think having any more time would be beneficial because it wouldn't be just you or I getting that extra time; it would be everyone and that means that Cho and Jimiyo would have time to make more spectacular designs or more designs if they worked just as quickly. If anything, I think having more time between the announcement and derby opening would only widen the gap between the "professional" and "amateur" designers out there.

Hmm, never thought of it that way. Maybe it would be even more quantity from those guys but don't think they're holding back too much on quality. Their DBH designs appear similar in effort. I would hope everyone's designs would improve -- amateur and pro.

yeeter

quality posts: 1 Private Messages yeeter
Re: Don't Shoot

battlezone!

VOTE!

Andy47240

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Andy47240
Re: Tomato Mermaid

I've never been so aroused by a tomato before.
-Andy

andrewlb

quality posts: 0 Private Messages andrewlb

Well, even if I don't win this competition, my monetary affairs are set because of my $8.57 in my moola account : )

I'm only human

sevenseas

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sevenseas
Re: Space Cephalopod

We all know cephalopods are too smart to hang around here while we mess it up.

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

thatrobert wrote:Hmm, never thought of it that way. Maybe it would be even more quantity from those guys but don't think they're holding back too much on quality. Their DBH designs appear similar in effort. I would hope everyone's designs would improve -- amateur and pro.

As of yet I don't think any of my designs would be improved by having more prep time. I submit when I'm done, whether that's at noon on Friday or 3pm on Monday. ^_^ The only issue I find is when I'm busy during that 24 hours.

RogeNight

quality posts: 0 Private Messages RogeNight

I love this design I hope you win id really like to get it.

Andy47240

thatrobert wrote:Interesting. I think it'd be more effective without the outline.

It started out with no outline, but it looked very week without it.
-Andy

andrewlb

quality posts: 0 Private Messages andrewlb
superspryte wrote:As of yet I don't think any of my designs would be improved by having more prep time. I submit when I'm done, whether that's at noon on Friday or 3pm on Monday. ^_^ The only issue I find is when I'm busy during that 24 hours.

More prep time would be god, I have school thursday and friday, so normally I can't submit until friday night or saturday morning 'ish. That means that I sit around all week then work my @$$ off one day of the week. It makes it hard. Also if more prep time was given, people could submit theres on friday, meaning there wouldn't be as much favoritism towards good entries that get in first (if you make it into the fog, you get seen, you get votes).

I'm only human

zuniteton

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zuniteton

oooh yummy carrot satellite's!

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

andrewlb wrote:More prep time would be god, I have school thursday and friday, so normally I can't submit until friday night or saturday morning 'ish. That means that I sit around all week then work my @$$ off one day of the week. It makes it hard. Also if more prep time was given, people could submit theres on friday, meaning there wouldn't be as much favoritism towards good entries that get in first (if you make it into the fog, you get seen, you get votes).

My fighter plane made it into the hotness but has since fallen out and stopped climbing. I don't know that being in the hotness or fog really perpetuates a lot more votes; if it did I might still be there. ^_~ But it's true that some voters only look at the fog and hotness, which is unfortunate. Somehow prep time doesn't factor into that in my mind. I spent an hour on my design, maybe two, so having an extra 24 hours wouldn't have mattered.

Andy47240

thatrobert wrote:Hmm, never thought of it that way. Maybe it would be even more quantity from those guys but don't think they're holding back too much on quality. Their DBH designs appear similar in effort. I would hope everyone's designs would improve -- amateur and pro.

I have flip-flopped my thoughts on this several times in the past weeks. Currently, I am in the thought that the professional illustrators would not get better necessarily, but the amateurs like me would not feel so rushed and could take a little more needed time to think it through.
As is, James and Jimiyo as an example can pop out a masterpiece with little or no time anyway, so they would not likely labor over anything for more than a day or two even if they had more time.
I’m sure my opinion will flip-flop again though.
-Andy

carpenter940

quality posts: 0 Private Messages carpenter940
superspryte wrote:I'm actually all for the 24 hour notice. I don't think having any more time would be beneficial because it wouldn't be just you or I getting that extra time; it would be everyone and that means that Cho and Jimiyo would have time to make more spectacular designs or more designs if they worked just as quickly. If anything, I think having more time between the announcement and derby opening would only widen the gap between the "professional" and "amateur" designers out there.

True, but aren't all shooting for having the best designs go up on a shirt we'd buy. I know it would be great if that design was our own, but for me that's just a dream. When I first heard about this contest I thought "This is gonna be great competing with outer amateurs" but now I just want the best design to win and that will most likely be the pro design, and that's OK with me. Give 'em extra time it can only get better.

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

carpenter940 wrote:True, but aren't all shooting for having the best designs go up on a shirt we'd buy. I know it would be great if that design was our own, but for me that's just a dream.

The designs that go up on Friday are quality as it is. I don't think more time will help the overall quality of the derby.

thatrobert

superspryte wrote:The designs that go up on Friday are quality as it is. I don't think more time will help the overall quality of the derby.

I think that is just the entrants responding to the reality of the derby. I've never heard of a shirt entered later than Monday morning getting printed. Let's say Woot announced the theme when voting closes on Wednesday. I think we would say a larger number of quality entries on Friday than we do now. That can only be good.

carpenter940

quality posts: 0 Private Messages carpenter940
superspryte wrote:The designs that go up on Friday are quality as it is. I don't think more time will help the overall quality of the derby.

I just meant we'd get more to choose from. And my quality would have gone up... I'm a slow worker but I felt the pressure to get it in. I like the idea that give us an extra day and start submissions a day earlier. That way we'd feel we didn't have to get the design in the first day.

2005vette

quality posts: 0 Private Messages 2005vette
brizz wrote:and here's some more...

you already submitted this once...

oh, and it's Aztec...

Yes I submitted it for the Leap year derby, and Cho submitted the Sashimi Hunters Woodcut and Come to the River was submitted by sokowa for the water derby. So whats the problem?

Spotnik

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Spotnik

Oooo - Charger colors! GMV!

thatrobert

Re: [url=http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=10856]Tiger

Hey KidG! Nice to see you back in the derby. You might want to shut off the design border on the shirt and resub. That's going to distract a lot of people.

thatrobert

Re: funimals

Intriguing. I'd really like to see this again somewhere with color...

Spotnik

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Spotnik

Ah James, I wanna be you when I grow up!!

I was thoroughly cheesed for you when Joel rejected your penguins, but this shirt - THIS shirt - is super-amazing, incredibly awesome!

GMV, and long live the ostrich!!