KidGrenouille

quality posts: 0 Private Messages KidGrenouille

Resubmitted! (I messed up the comp image last time.) If the two or three of you who voted on the first submission could vote again on this one, I'd be grateful.

Icecold54

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Icecold54
Re: Skulls Skulls Skulls!

This one is amazing and has so many details. I really hope this one makes it. I'm definitely purchasing one.
If it doesnt make it to sales, is there any way i can get one or get the design to get it printed?

jamescho84

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jamescho84
Andy47240 wrote:I have flip-flopped my thoughts on this several times in the past weeks. Currently, I am in the thought that the professional illustrators would not get better necessarily, but the amateurs like me would not feel so rushed and could take a little more needed time to think it through.
As is, James and Jimiyo as an example can pop out a masterpiece with little or no time anyway, so they would not likely labor over anything for more than a day or two even if they had more time.
I’m sure my opinion will flip-flop again though.
-Andy

man, I didn't sleep, i mean.. jimiyo too. We were up all night and day working on those entries, even if its a rehash, it takes all night. Thanks for the compliments, but we don't breeze through this, spring rebirth took me 10 hours straight.

gargrazz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gargrazz
Re: Jet packed.

I love girl with the jet pack. But the paper BG is throwing off the composition for me. I think it's because the part that I like is muddied up and lost from the horizontal lines. I like the bears and the wind - but some other framing device besides the sheet of paper and I'd buy this shirt.

daedalusknight

quality posts: 1 Private Messages daedalusknight
MHBoston wrote:So you're misrepresenting the shirt? It's supposed to be a white shirt with black lines? Or do you have a white filled moon on a black shirt? Either way, what you've done breaks the rules.

I don't think you're following my reasoning... I'm not trying to misrepresent anything. I'm using white ink on a black shirt to convey an image of black lines on a white page.

Though I cannot speak for our friendly shirt reviewer, it seems that Woot agrees with me as this shirt has not yet been rejected and other shirts that have been posted after it have been rejected. For this small kindness, I'd like offer my sincerest thanks, even though this shirt has no chance of being made as it's not even breaking the top 100 shirts. Oh well. I guess I'll just have to try harder next week.

superspryte

quality posts: 21 Private Messages superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

carpenter940 wrote:I just meant we'd get more to choose from. And my quality would have gone up... I'm a slow worker but I felt the pressure to get it in. I like the idea that give us an extra day and start submissions a day earlier. That way we'd feel we didn't have to get the design in the first day.

The idea of announcing the theme Wednesday, taking submissions starting noon on Thursday and posting the ones received between then and the opening of the derby (for voting) in a random order is an excellent idea. It's also a lot of coding and work. Aside from something like that though I don't see a huge benefit to announcing the theme earlier. As it is there are over 200 entries every derby. Only three will get printed. Would more entries be beneficial somehow? I doubt it.

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | tg.w: 0 | sp.w: 0 | a.w: 0 | k.w: 0 | s.w: 15 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

jamescho84

I think the paper is perfect.. the idea is that she, or someone else drew this, and it's "flying away" with the wind. Imaginative, lovely, superb, got my vote.

Evility

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Evility
Re: Dragon Tedium

This is my first entry on woot. I'm really happy that I got 25 votes! That's more than I expected. Thanks everyone!

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus

[quote]Re: The Ants' new home?

Ants need a place to live, too, right?

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

Re: The Ants' new home?

Creepy.

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | tg.w: 0 | sp.w: 0 | a.w: 0 | k.w: 0 | s.w: 15 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

jamescho84

[quote postid="2005818" user="Josephus"]

Re: The Ants' new home?

Ants need a place to live, too, right?

I really love this entry. you've captured the idea perfectly, it has our house's vote. Magnificently executed.

gargrazz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gargrazz
brizz wrote:plz point us to the previous flying penguin winners you speak of. thx.

My bad. The shirt I could have sworn won never did. Apologies for the claim.

The theme is revisited for a number of derbies - but it has never won. For those that have been hankering for a flying penguin t-shirt, then this rejection must seem unfair. Point taken.

Switz213

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Switz213
OGauge4Me wrote:A cool shirt for a car guy!

Thanks a lot!

fun fun fun

effinrighteous

quality posts: 0 Private Messages effinrighteous
Re: Line Dancing

My first entry, I had to repost it just now cause i mixed up the design comp and the shirt comp and was at risk of being rejected for that. What sucked is I lost the 4 votes that I had gained last night.

Of course winning would rock ass, I'd actually much rather have some feed back from some pro wooters so that I can either keep up the good work, or find out what I've been doin wrong...

crazyharry

quality posts: 0 Private Messages crazyharry
superspryte wrote:Maybe a Japanese maple...?

Yeah, it's a rare japanese maple. Or at least that's what they told me in high school.

thatrobert

quality posts: 26 Private Messages thatrobert
jamescho84 wrote:man, I didn't sleep, i mean.. jimiyo too. We were up all night and day working on those entries, even if its a rehash, it takes all night. Thanks for the compliments, but we don't breeze through this, spring rebirth took me 10 hours straight.

That's reason right there to extend the time. Sometimes I can't sleep anyway and end up working on a design but I'm not going to do that on purpose just to compete...

effinrighteous

quality posts: 0 Private Messages effinrighteous
effinrighteous wrote:My first entry, I had to repost it just now cause i mixed up the design comp and the shirt comp and was at risk of being rejected for that. What sucked is I lost the 4 votes that I had gained last night.

Of course winning would rock ass, but I'd actually much rather have some feed back from some pro wooters so that I can either keep up the good work, or find out what I've been doin wrong...

Keeping in mind the image doesnt have the black boarder around it, I had it all worked out but when i switched over to woots templates it kinda got mixed up. And I was too damn tired to fix it last night, cause the image still came out clean.

MHBoston

quality posts: 4 Private Messages MHBoston
daedalusknight wrote:Though I cannot speak for our friendly shirt reviewer, it seems that Woot agrees with me as this shirt has not yet been rejected and other shirts that have been posted after it have been rejected. For this small kindness, I'd like offer my sincerest thanks, even though this shirt has no chance of being made as it's not even breaking the top 100 shirts. Oh well. I guess I'll just have to try harder next week.

Just because you haven't been rejected does not mean that you haven't broken the rules. Joel just hasn't seen that you've broken the rules. It is common for rejections to be light through the weekend and get heavier on Monday. Fogged entries have even been rejected on a Wednesday. You're not safe.

daedalusknight wrote:I don't think you're following my reasoning... I'm not trying to misrepresent anything. I'm using white ink on a black shirt to convey an image of black lines on a white page.

I see a white illustration on a black shirt. Your moon is a solid block of color, not a line. This shirt should be rejected.

If this is meant to be a black illustration on a white shirt that you have cropped and laid out on top a black shirt to make work better visually, you're being deliberately misleading. Who does that? It looks like a black shirt, your intentions not withstanding. This shirt should be rejected.

What am I not following? If you mean this shirt to be anything other than as exactly as shown then you don't understand the process. You're supposed to simulate a shirt as exactly as possible to the way you want it printed and people vote on it.

| w ~ 41 | s.w ~ 44 | so.w ~ 7 | w.w ~ 28 | k.w ~ 1 |

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

MHBoston wrote:I see a white illustration on a black shirt. Your moon is a solid block of color, not a line. This shirt should be rejected.

If this is meant to be a black illustration on a white shirt that you have cropped and laid out on top a black shirt to make work better visually, you're being deliberately misleading. Who does that? It looks like a black shirt, your intentions not withstanding. This shirt should be rejected.

What am I not following? If you mean this shirt to be anything other than as exactly as shown then you don't understand the process. You're supposed to simulate a shirt as exactly as possible to the way you want it printed and people vote on it.

I think he's saying the negative space is lines. Think of it like an optical illusion. Unfortunately, like I said before, I don't think that counts as fitting the theme. No doubt people have tattled on this and it will either get rejected or not though. Don't worry about it. ^_^

thatrobert

quality posts: 26 Private Messages thatrobert
superspryte wrote:The idea of announcing the theme Wednesday, taking submissions starting noon on Thursday and posting the ones received between then and the opening of the derby (for voting) in a random order is an excellent idea. It's also a lot of coding and work. Aside from something like that though I don't see a huge benefit to announcing the theme earlier. As it is there are over 200 entries every derby. Only three will get printed. Would more entries be beneficial somehow? I doubt it.

How about just everyone can sleep Thursday night? Having the extra time before the weekend (which is even busier than the week usually for me), would be a big help.

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
superspryte wrote:I think he's saying the negative space is lines. Think of it like an optical illusion. Unfortunately, like I said before, I don't think that counts as fitting the theme. No doubt people have tattled on this and it will either get rejected or not though. Don't worry about it. ^_^

The design has fill either way, tho... the "black" has the massive fill of the shirt, and the white is ONLY fill. No matter what color the "line art" is, that color has fill areas, which is a no-no

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

thatrobert wrote:How about just everyone can sleep Thursday night? Having the extra time before the weekend (which is even busier than the week usually for me), would be a big help.

You've got a PM. ^_^

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

AdderXYU wrote:The design has fill either way, tho... the "black" has the massive fill of the shirt, and the white is ONLY fill. No matter what color the "line art" is, that color has fill areas, which is a no-no

I'm not disagreeing, just trying to point out what the artist is saying.

KENPARS0NS

quality posts: 0 Private Messages KENPARS0NS
Re: Lake Island

Love it! Nice work!

AdderXYU

superspryte wrote:I'm not disagreeing, just trying to point out what the artist is saying.

i didn't think you were... I was just responding since yours was the last comment. You point out what he's saying, I point out what he's doing ;)

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

AdderXYU wrote:i didn't think you were... I was just responding since yours was the last comment. You point out what he's saying, I point out what he's doing ;)

I've tried to do both but he didn't respond to me.

AdderXYU

superspryte wrote:I've tried to do both but he didn't respond to me.

'course he didn't. He's got nothing to say.

Anyway, how 'bout that fog, huh?

Eroticdonkey

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Eroticdonkey
Re: Banana

Would be better if the banana was off-center.

squirrelly29

quality posts: 0 Private Messages squirrelly29

I LOVE this design!!!! VERY COOL!! Where can I get mine?

Re: Buddha Variation 5

AdderXYU

bluchez wrote:This looks very much like something I would find in Microsoft Word's clip-art gallery, and less like a shirt design.

That's giving it a lot of credit.

KENPARS0NS

quality posts: 0 Private Messages KENPARS0NS
Previsualconsent wrote:quick question. how does this represent the doppler effect? would the waves be compressed on one side and stretched on the other? To me this looks like the reduced intensity of a wave over an area.
Whats your take?

You get bonus points for a great post that made me chuckle!

I guess you are right about it also being an example of reduced intensity... And for those of you who see this as a shirt about the reduced intensity of a wave over an area: I welcome your votes for that shirt as well...

No, seriously... please vote!

As for the doppler response: perhaps you are the circle and there are two objects of motion: one to your right and one to your left?

peppersagooddog

quality posts: 0 Private Messages peppersagooddog

the paper doodle idea is brilliant!
envisions the feeling behind it so easily that way.
brilliant, just wonderful concept.

MHBoston

quality posts: 4 Private Messages MHBoston
AdderXYU wrote:The design has fill either way, tho... the "black" has the massive fill of the shirt, and the white is ONLY fill. No matter what color the "line art" is, that color has fill areas, which is a no-no

You mean to say that it *is* meant to be a white shirt and aaallllll that black is fill? ::smacks forehead::: Then it's outside the printable area. This shirt should be rejected. Now I'm done

| w ~ 41 | s.w ~ 44 | so.w ~ 7 | w.w ~ 28 | k.w ~ 1 |

brizz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages brizz
daedalusknight wrote:I don't think you're following my reasoning... I'm not trying to misrepresent anything. I'm using white ink on a black shirt to convey an image of black lines on a white page.

Though I cannot speak for our friendly shirt reviewer, it seems that Woot agrees with me as this shirt has not yet been rejected and other shirts that have been posted after it have been rejected. For this small kindness, I'd like offer my sincerest thanks, even though this shirt has no chance of being made as it's not even breaking the top 100 shirts. Oh well. I guess I'll just have to try harder next week.

That's not line art.

Figit090

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Figit090
Re: Angel

awesome! thats a neat concept!

brizz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages brizz
AdderXYU wrote:I'm not sure who decided to delete my last comment on the matter, but I find that makes this entry doubly sad.

The fact of the matter is, and I'm looking directly at the rejector here, this is a terrible design. There is nothing redeeming about it. It's not a new concept... we have a "grow" shirt already in the ranks of the unreckoned, and it's done brilliantly. We don't need this poor attempt at a tattoo to join it. Moreover, look at the sheer quality of so many of the efforts this week, the sheer effort, the inspiration, and then honestly tell me this is worthy. Honestly tell me a handful of vague strokes is more artistic and wearable than anything else here.

Woot staff, we all know you're reading... how do you really feel a design like this winning a derby theme like this will effect your chances of improving derby quality? How many new, good designers will come around after seeing THIS win THIS derby? How many old designers will stick around? How many will put in effort? If you're able to arbitrarily reject a good design for using stale subject matter without any warning, but you're not willing to do the same for a design with no strengths, the exact sort of design that drives good designers to use that stale subject matter you deleted without warning, then what do you really expect the derby to become?

so wait...you're saying you don't like it?

Andy47240

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Andy47240
AdderXYU wrote:I'm not sure who decided to delete my last comment on the matter, but I find that makes this entry doubly sad.

The fact of the matter is, and I'm looking directly at the rejector here, this is a terrible design. There is nothing redeeming about it. It's not a new concept... we have a "grow" shirt already in the ranks of the unreckoned, and it's done brilliantly. We don't need this poor attempt at a tattoo to join it. Moreover, look at the sheer quality of so many of the efforts this week, the sheer effort, the inspiration, and then honestly tell me this is worthy. Honestly tell me a handful of vague strokes is more artistic and wearable than anything else here.

Woot staff, we all know you're reading... how do you really feel a design like this winning a derby theme like this will effect your chances of improving derby quality? How many new, good designers will come around after seeing THIS win THIS derby? How many old designers will stick around? How many will put in effort? If you're able to arbitrarily reject a good design for using stale subject matter without any warning, but you're not willing to do the same for a design with no strengths, the exact sort of design that drives good designers to use that stale subject matter you deleted without warning, then what do you really expect the derby to become?

Designs like this give people like me hope that there is a chance I could compete someday. If winners were only decided by the skill of the designer or the wow factor of the illustration, then I may as well pack it up and not try here. I know you may not care if I submit or leave, but I like to think that designs of all kinds and style help keep these derbys alive.
These designs are the "AC/DC" designs for me in that they are always picked on for being simple and "anyone could have wrote that"...but, people love them.
-Andy

Raining

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Raining
Re: Horney Dogragon

I absolutely adore this. Miss MissLauraB you are so cool.

geekfactor12

quality posts: 11 Private Messages geekfactor12
Re: grow

This is probably one of the most interesting fog contenders I've seen in the derby, mainly because I don't fully understand what the voters are seeing. I mean no disrespect when I say that, it's honest curiosity.

I tend to really like simplicity, but for me the lines in this one don't feel resolved. The variation of line isn't smooth in places, and the curves aren't true. The placement also feels lacking, too- the height on the shirt is unlikely to look attractive on most wearers, and the width feels arbitrary (nip to nip? why?).

Again, no disrespect towards the artist- Clockwork Beetle is one of the best shirts I've seen in the derby. I'm just kind of bummed that out of all this guy's great work, his weakest entry is the one that's getting votes. Kinda frustrating :/

mcwalters78

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mcwalters78
joelterrific wrote:I'm a reasonable guy. I weigh the evidence. I keep a level head. But I've hit the tipping point.

These irritatingly cute, ill-proportioned, impractical birds and their fruitless quest for flight have caused me nothing but headaches. The last two or three times they've been submitted, they've brought with them controversy and ill will.

They're BANNED. No more. Put it in the virtual book of derby rules.

Rule: 62 section b: No flying penguins, be it of their own volition or through the assistance of any kind of mechanical device. Some things just aren't natural.

So there is no inference from this rejection, let it be known that this has nothing to do with the existence of other flying penguin designs or their submission in past derbies. There's no copyright on ideas, just on the execution. In fact, it depresses me that there are apparently so many new and unique ways to execute this painful concept.

(Oh, and James, I happen to think this is a particularly wonderful execution, so don't infer anything there either. Too bad it wasn't around before I learned to hate it.)

This is purely emotional, and an admittedly irrational hatred of the subject matter. I will sleep well tonight knowing the next flying penguin I see will be followed swiftly and unequivocally by a hearty REJECTED stamp. If you test me, I'll enjoy the probation as well.

Wheww...

What a great idea.

Woot is a consumerism based organization. I always thought supply and demand fueled consumerism... silly me.

Reading the comments on some of the shirts that hit the fog kills me. The elitist attitude of some of the people hating on simplistic, common and "cute" designs amazes me. I always thought comments that say that those types of shirts should be banned was just a lot of hot air. Just venting from people frustrated that their obviously "superior" ideas or art was being passed over.

I guess hot air rises straight to the top. It is always a good idea to just unequivocally dismiss the work of others based on an "admittedly irrational hatred" even though the demand (via votes/the fog) says otherwise.