Andy47240

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Andy47240
brizz wrote:but since you see something that took five minutes in the fog you are now inspired? Because anyone can do it? Because talent isn't required to win?

That is what you are saying.

Learn to read Brizz. "Designs like this give people like me hope that there is a chance I could compete someday".
At no point did i say anything about it being a crappy design or taking no time. I like the design, but it was being picked on for being too simple. I like simple and I create simple.
Do not tell me what I said.
-Andy

brizz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages brizz
Andy47240 wrote:Learn to read Brizz. "Designs like this give people like me hope that there is a chance I could compete someday".
At no point did i say anything about it being a crappy design or taking no time. I like the design, but it was being picked on for being too simple. I like simple and I create simple.
Do not tell me what I said.
-Andy

I know how to read. Good simple designs quite often take far more talent than complex ones because they require an excellent concept to work. I guarantee Let it Grow took less than 10 minutes. look at the hotness now....I see a lot of similar ones now....are they all inspirational too? They are certainly simple. If simple is your goal, by all means have at it. But don't pretend it's not an approach driven by a desire to win over one to do good work.

carpenter940

quality posts: 0 Private Messages carpenter940

I like the top shirts (and some not so top) whether they took 5 minutes or 5 hours each got my vote to wear.

nchu

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nchu

Nice values on the heart, and I like the big design and the colors. got my vote.

klswoot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages klswoot
Re: oh crud

This one is so cute! And, I love the fact that you chose an 'under-represented' color. The olive is actually so much nicer than the template color. I hope this isn't holding people back from voting for this great design. Here's hoping you get back into the fog!

fablefire

quality posts: 23 Private Messages fablefire
brizz wrote:I know how to read. Good simple designs quite often take far more talent than complex ones because they require an excellent concept to work. I guarantee Let it Grow took less than 10 minutes. look at the hotness now....I see a lot of similar ones now....are they all inspirational too? They are certainly simple. If simple is your goal, by all means have at it. But don't pretend it's not an approach driven by a desire to win over one to do good work.

Actually, you'd have to be insane to submit thing piece, and expect it to fog. If I was being a design whore this week, I would definitely not submit this, or those flowery things out of a desire to win. This is totally a surprise.

sleemo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sleemo
Re: Vampire Cactus

2nd woot entry. Vampire Cactus. Green on Lime.

SailorButterfly

quality posts: 14 Private Messages SailorButterfly
Re: Rose. (Light blue on navy.)

I'm voting for both color variations. I'd get either if one of them one.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The "Most Awesome Butterfly-Sailor Hybrid on Woot"

riveral

quality posts: 0 Private Messages riveral
Re: Robots Are Happiness

I had a lot of fun making this one. I hope you guys like it!

Andy47240

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Andy47240
Re: It's kind of like sonar...

This is just wierd enough for me!
-Andy

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
fablefire wrote:Actually, you'd have to be insane to submit thing piece, and expect it to fog. If I was being a design whore this week, I would definitely not submit this, or those flowery things out of a desire to win. This is totally a surprise.

I wish I could agree, but week after week, I pick the worst design in the top 20, and it almost always closes in on, if not makes it into, the fog. Grow was my fog contender since the start. It's simple, has no concept, has no effort, but doesn't challenge the eyes or mind. I knew it'd fog. That's what woot likes as a community, and apparently woot as a business would rather be known for not having any quality control than for being a respectable shirt printer. It's an insult to the amateurs who are above that, and an insult to the designers who have to compete in a market that doesn't appreciate them.

bryozoan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bryozoan
Re: grow

I agree with Andy in that a simple design can be wonderful and I think the attention to detail in a simple concept is very well constructed in this piece. The delicate nature of the emerging plant and the lines tapering off to show growth imagery is beautifully demonstrated.

Based on the fact of having an overall impact and not a distracting feature, I am sure that this piece took a few hours of adjustment and balancing the various lines.

Recall line art is not defined as simply "outlines" but using only lines to give impact. This gets tougher the less lines you draw, as one can potentially lose the emotion of an object, lost in the outline of the factual shape..

I continue to be a huge fan of this delicate piece.

eyeslikesugar

quality posts: 2 Private Messages eyeslikesugar
Re: Canadian National Flag

ALAS!! Wish I could have voted for this, but I was out of town all weekend. =(

-James Cho -EdgarRMcherly Shirt.Woot.Com - Ye Oldest Sucker - 2009

peppersagooddog

quality posts: 0 Private Messages peppersagooddog

would someone please explain to me why a feminine design that will look dreadfull on the feminine anatomy is garnering so many votes? i mean if you LIKE the design it's ok but you are supposed to vote for something you would WEAR. people with bewbies cant wear this, and what guy would? i dont get it.

AdderXYU

bryozoan wrote:I agree with Andy in that a simple design can be wonderful and I think the attention to detail in a simple concept is very well constructed in this piece. The delicate nature of the emerging plant and the lines tapering off to show growth imagery is beautifully demonstrated.

Based on the fact of having an overall impact and not a distracting feature, I am sure that this piece took a few hours of adjustment and balancing the various lines.

Recall line art is not defined as simply "outlines" but using only lines to give impact. This gets tougher the less lines you draw, as one can potentially lose the emotion of an object, lost in the outline of the factual shape..

I continue to be a huge fan of this delicate piece.

If you think this took over an hour, you're unrealistic. I'd say it took less than ten minutes, but I'll allow up to an hour "to perfect it".

and you disprove your own point. Line art isn't just "outlines". it's about using lines to give impact. This gives no impact, and is basically just an outline

dekonstruct

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dekonstruct
Re: Teddy n His Rough Riders

This is epic, like when the great battle between pirates and ninjas first began... only nerdier. I'm guessing cho did the art and edgar had the concept?

dekonstruct

Re: It's kind of like sonar...

I love the style of this, tops. They offer a purple shirt now?

dekonstruct

sleemo, I love your style.

whitstheatre11

quality posts: 0 Private Messages whitstheatre11
peppersagooddog wrote:would someone please explain to me why a feminine design that will look dreadfull on the feminine anatomy is garnering so many votes? i mean if you LIKE the design it's ok but you are supposed to vote for something you would WEAR. people with bewbies cant wear this, and what guy would? i dont get it.

i have "bewbies" and I would wear this in a second...in fact this is the only one I would buy.

and why does it matter how much time was spent on it

i really wanted to buy a shirt with a simple design...

i want this shirt!!

kjmendoza

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kjmendoza
Re: Death on a Pale White UNICORN!

I agree, the artwork is absolutely stunning, the cross-hatching amazing. I'm very impressed, but I'm not into death-themed wear either, although I think this will be a very popular design.

www.quilt-scrap.blogspot.com

geekfactor12

quality posts: 11 Private Messages geekfactor12
dekonstruct wrote:This is epic, like when the great battle between pirates and ninjas first began... only nerdier. I'm guessing cho did the art and edgar had the concept?

Both did both, though Cho did the final inking of the lines.

AdderXYU

KtCallista wrote:This is my tribute to Splinter whom will be greatly missed here on woot. It is intended to look like the freehand sketch it is and not like a polished vector blueprint. I hope the rest of you appreciate it as well.

Wouldn't a tribute to something "whom [sic] will be greatly missed here on woot" technically be a "woot reference"?

bryozoan

AdderXYU wrote:If you think this took over an hour, you're unrealistic. I'd say it took less than ten minutes, but I'll allow up to an hour "to perfect it".

and you disprove your own point. Line art isn't just "outlines". it's about using lines to give impact. This gives no impact, and is basically just an outline

No, I think my point is quite clear. This took a few hours.

If you cannot see the impact, that is your perspective, and you are welcome to it. I disagree with you and very much appreciate the calm impact of this design.

Iambusyeating

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Iambusyeating

I don't particularly like this, but judging a design based on how much time or skill it must have taken is ridiculous. A design should only be judged based on how good it looks.

frogboyjb

quality posts: 0 Private Messages frogboyjb
Andy47240 wrote:I like the Black way better frogboy.
-Andy

Thanks Andy

eyeslikesugar

quality posts: 2 Private Messages eyeslikesugar
Re: Professor Von Platypus

I want to be taught by Professor Von Platypus! =D

-James Cho -EdgarRMcherly Shirt.Woot.Com - Ye Oldest Sucker - 2009

AdderXYU

Iambusyeating wrote:I don't particularly like this, but judging a design based on how much time or skill it must have taken is ridiculous. A design should only be judged based on how good it looks.

Which is exactly why I'm judging this as bad. It's not bad because it's simple. It's bad and simple. I'm only harping on this taking a matter of minutes because it is sheer insanity for anyone to believe this took longer.

frogboyjb

quality posts: 0 Private Messages frogboyjb

this is cool sleemo

snarkygal

quality posts: 4 Private Messages snarkygal
bryozoan wrote:No, I think my point is quite clear. This took a few hours.

If you cannot see the impact, that is your perspective, and you are welcome to it. I disagree with you and very much appreciate the calm impact of this design.

How do you know how much time it took? Are you the artist using an alias?

dekonstruct

Re: Spring Rebirth

Of all the shirts in the fog, I hope this stays. I love the colors because I don't like to view colors as gender specific... and I'm a queen.

SailorButterfly

dekonstruct wrote:I love the style of this, tops. They offer a purple shirt now?

I'm pretty sure that's the cream shirt. Woot really needs to work on making their cream template look less pinkish/purplish...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

kjmendoza

Re: Eggs

I think wearing this would make one look pregnant - even a guy!

SailorButterfly

Re: Cattitude

Your kitty has my vote. ^-^

kjmendoza

Andy47240 wrote:This looks very impressive, but I would use a darker ink or at least something with some contrast, because it is very hard to see.
-Andy

I agree, the pale green on green is impossible to make out. A darker green shirt would be better.

thatrobert

quality posts: 26 Private Messages thatrobert
jamescho84 wrote:I respect your integrity. I too, have spent countless hours trying to do something i'm proud of, rather than sitting there wondering why people aren't impressed, or why I can't get better.

You're absolutely right. Anything worth doing, always takes time and sacrifice. Sometimes that means working all throughout the night, every night, because it's simply what you love to do.

As i've said previously - in last week and this week, I am inspired by you. Enough to where I read through your site tutorials, looked at all of your works meticulously to find what it is that makes your work look so professional. My entries this week, are in part, dedication to what you've worked so hard to obtain.

I've thanked you before for being here, showing this derby that your eye for composition, balance, and concept is amazing and cannot be replicated. I only hope that others will try to look at what you've created and strive for the perfection that I know, you put into all your pieces.

That's exactly what I'd like to see more of in the derby. Hopefully, Cho and Jimiyo's entries this week are inspiring instead of discouraging people. They are definitely inspiring me. There's talent, there's technique, and there's experience. I'm hoping I can at least get the last two by hanging out here.

bryozoan

snarkygal wrote:How do you know how much time it took? Are you the artist using an alias?

The same way you are so very sure that you know how long it took. Observation and artistic assessment.

I am so sorry you assume your opinion is so much more important then mine.

AdderXYU

Re: Space Bunneh!

GMV. Proof that simple linework doesn't mean bad or uncreative. This is charming and bizarre and worthy of love.

sparklzk27

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sparklzk27
SailorButterfly wrote:Your kitty has my vote. ^-^

thanks! here is a more detailed pic for anyone who is interested, i just realized i didn't really show lower half of the drawing that well.

geekfactor12

quality posts: 11 Private Messages geekfactor12
AdderXYU wrote:GMV. Proof that simple linework doesn't mean bad or uncreative. This is charming and bizarre and worthy of love.

I agree with that statement completely. I don't know if I mentioned this earlier, but I find their armlessness utterly charming.

snarkygal

quality posts: 4 Private Messages snarkygal
bryozoan wrote:The same way you are so very sure that you know how long it took. Observation and artistic assessment.

I am so sorry you assume your opinion is so much more important then mine.

Excuse me? I didn't say a word about how look it took. Here we go again. Attributing things to me that I never said or attitudes I never took.

That was the first post on the subject I made. I didn't even say whether I liked it or didn't.