Gumiho

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Gumiho
waffala wrote:Okay, that didn't work right, trying again:

Thanks very much for the detail view. It's a very interesting piece. I like it a lot.

redghia69

quality posts: 1 Private Messages redghia69
goldenmomiji wrote:I like the kitty!! I never would have guessed what this was from the little pic so I'm glad I clicked it! GMV

That's what my family said when they saw it posted. Ah, well. Lesson learned. Thanks for the vote!

highgrassfarm

quality posts: 0 Private Messages highgrassfarm
eyeslikesugar wrote:ALAS!! Wish I could have voted for this, but I was out of town all weekend. =(

Sorry, I thought it would last longer than a day anyway

jbedwar1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jbedwar1
SailorButterfly wrote:I'm pretty sure that's the cream shirt. Woot really needs to work on making their cream template look less pinkish/purplish...

looks cream as hell on my monitor.

jamescho84

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jamescho84
Re: grow

I know there are hateful comments in this thread, but do not be disheartened by those who don't appreciate this, or any other simple design there is. With that said, I hope you can look past some of these posts and continue submitting your work - there will always be those who both approve and disapprove.

I know I responded to a post under this thread, admittedly without knowing it was yours. I think this design had thought and time put into it, and I believe those who voted believe the same.

klswoot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages klswoot
AdderXYU wrote:GMV. Proof that simple linework doesn't mean bad or uncreative. This is charming and bizarre and worthy of love.

I agree. Dekonstruct does a great job with a minimalist approach. Simple lines...but with great way to evoke a response from the viewer.

Another one that got my vote for an effective minimalist approach....RedGhia's single line cat drawing. It is tough to create an entire drawing with a single line and yet 'tell a story' with the final image. I think his drawing did that very well even if it looks relatively simplistic.

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
klswoot wrote:I agree. Dekonstruct does a great job with a minimalist approach. Simple lines...but with great way to evoke a response from the viewer.

Another one that got my vote for an effective minimalist approach....RedGhia's single line cat drawing. It is tough to create an entire drawing with a single line and yet 'tell a story' with the final image. I think his drawing did that very well even if it looks relatively simplistic.

That's really what kills me, KLS, is that people presume that because I'm against ONE design, I'm against ALL simple designs. Both those designs showcase different ways to take simple and grab it by the horns.

klswoot

redghia69 wrote:That's what my family said when they saw it posted. Ah, well. Lesson learned. Thanks for the vote!

I really like this one...but I think I've already told you that!

Figit090

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Figit090
Re: Cattitude

i like it, you've got another vote ;)

riveral

quality posts: 0 Private Messages riveral
Re: Its Head

I don't get it.

bryozoan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bryozoan
snarkygal wrote:Excuse me? I didn't say a word about how look it took.

My apologies. I misread the author of the comment, assuming it was the continuing conversation topic from another poster. Mea Culpa.

jamescho84 wrote:
I think this design had thought and time put into it, and I believe those who voted believe the same.

Beautifully said, my thoughts exactly.

tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

thatrobert wrote:Great! I really would like more color on something like this. Maybe you can re-enter somewhere else? Also, a bit more detail on the still since that is the name of the shirt.

Thanks thatrobert. I actually was going to put XXX on the still, but I figured it would be rejected because of the text ban.

jamescho84

Re: Space Bunneh!

I adore this entry germandisco. Much love, and beautiful work.

thebaldwinboy

quality posts: 2 Private Messages thebaldwinboy
klswoot wrote:Hello Baldwinboy- I remember you from the wonderful comment you left on Mihalis' winning design. Thank you for your kind comment on mine as well! It's nice to see your sister's work in the derby again. She was MIA for awhile.

Thanks again!

Sorry about that MIA thing. I'll take most of the credit, because I was distracting her when she came to visit and making her eat and shop all of the time.

Thank you again for your pretty art. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

klswoot

AdderXYU wrote:That's really what kills me, KLS, is that people presume that because I'm against ONE design, I'm against ALL simple designs. Both those designs showcase different ways to take simple and grab it by the horns.

I think the problem is that everyone sees a minimalist design differently. Some appreciate its simplicity and its ability to evoke a response with a minimum amount of lines. Others simply see the minimum amount of lines and immediately discount the art as inferior because the attention to detail was abandoned. I think it ultimately depends on how the image evokes a response from the viewer. I can absolutely understand why a design like Grow garnered votes. Look at Picasso's dove sketch...hugely simplistic....yet peaceful, optimistic, hopeful with a minimum amount of ink and stroke. For many, grow may offer this peaceful, optimistic and hopeful response.

Grow didn't get my vote this week. But not because it is simplistic, but because it didn't evoke a response from me and I wasn't thrilled with the placement on the tshirt. But, with the current popularity of body art/tattoos, etc., I absolutely can understand why the design is popular with the voting public.

Maybe we've given woot an idea for a future derby. Minimalism. Create your design with single color with clearly identifiable lines of 5 lines or less. hhhhmmmmm.....it certainly would be a cheap production for them. One screen and very little ink. (Although...we probably would get more 'this derby is boring' complaints....)

jamescho84

klswoot wrote:

Kstein, as I was about to congratulate you on your daily shirt thread, I'm a little to lazy for the three clicks it gets me there. It's sad, and I blame it on my laziness. Congratulations! it was definitely a close race until the end, and though losing by 1 vote hurts, I am glad you came out on top. Much <3
To Edit: I made it there with some sweat.

jamescho84

Re: It's kind of like sonar...

This is awesome. Freaking awesome, gmv.

brizz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages brizz
jamescho84 wrote:This is awesome. Freaking awesome, gmv.

wow...glad i clicked on that one....very cool!

heartluce

quality posts: 10 Private Messages heartluce
Re: String Theory

Creative. I love the idea and the simplicity of the design.

heartluce

quality posts: 10 Private Messages heartluce
Re: oh crud

I would love to see this design back in the fog! I love everything about it.

jamescho84

Re: Ole Blue

Boston Terriers are as cool as boston. And almost as cool as SBR. Love it.

narkus

quality posts: 0 Private Messages narkus

awwwwwwwwww!!!!!

artulo

quality posts: 13 Private Messages artulo
Re: It's kind of like sonar...

Lovin' it, Sleemo. Great style. Really like your deviantART stuff too.

mwm8180

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mwm8180
Re: grow

To Everyone,
I wanted to say thank you for fogging my design. as i originally posted, this design is a departure from my usual style, and to have it so well received is very encouraging.

I hope this shirt makes it for everyone who likes it and has supported it.

to Cho,

I wanted to thank you personally for your remark

jamescho84 wrote:I know there are hateful comments in this thread, but do not be disheartened by those who don't appreciate this, or any other simple design there is. With that said, I hope you can look past some of these posts and continue submitting your work - there will always be those who both approve and disapprove.

I know I responded to a post under this thread, admittedly without knowing it was yours. I think this design had thought and time put into it, and I believe those who voted believe the same.

its always wonderful to get support from someone w/ as many victory's under there belt as you do.

I wanted to respond to your personally, to let you know not to fear about me stopping posting designs. I use shirt.woot as a way to improve my own personal skills in a controlled environment. winning has never been a goal for me, but it sure does sweeten the pot. even if i don't, i love having a weekly challenge to push me creatively and technically.

Thanks again to everyone. may the best designs win.
-mwm8180

klswoot

jamescho84 wrote:Kstein, as I was about to congratulate you on your daily shirt thread, I'm a little to lazy for the three clicks it gets me there. It's sad, and I blame it on my laziness. Congratulations! it was definitely a close race until the end, and though losing by 1 vote hurts, I am glad you came out on top. Much <3
To Edit: I made it there with some sweat.

Thanks James. I'm hoping your wave design shows up as a "SURPRISE" tonight. It was lovely. Wow.That was one crazy derby. I think you are in great shape for impressive placements this week and deservedly so!

tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

jamescho84 wrote:I respect your integrity. I too, have spent countless hours trying to do something i'm proud of, rather than sitting there wondering why people aren't impressed, or why I can't get better.

You're absolutely right. Anything worth doing, always takes time and sacrifice. Sometimes that means working all throughout the night, every night, because it's simply what you love to do.

As i've said previously - in last week and this week, I am inspired by you. Enough to where I read through your site tutorials, looked at all of your works meticulously to find what it is that makes your work look so professional. My entries this week, are in part, dedication to what you've worked so hard to obtain.

I've thanked you before for being here, showing this derby that your eye for composition, balance, and concept is amazing and cannot be replicated. I only hope that others will try to look at what you've created and strive for the perfection that I know, you put into all your pieces.

(Please excuse the length of this post, it's pretty much just a train of thought...feel free to skip if you hate trains of thoughts...)

This is a good post, Cho. I've thought a lot this weekend about what kind of responsibility I have as far as effort goes with shirt designing on woot. All this talk has made me wonder if I put enough of time and self into these designs. Everytime I see one of your entries, I say to myself "Damn, I need to be doing that!" You have a passion for doing this and it shows through. Everyone has that "thing" that they live to do and they strive to do it better. I don't know you personally, but I can only assume from the quality and time you spend on your work that design is that thing for you (or at least one of those things).

For me that thing is creating characters. I've been doing it since I could lift a pencil, It's what I do professionally, and what I like to do in my spare time. I dedicate myself to improving on it like you do on your shirt designs. I like to think I've improved exponentially in the last two years since getting in the field. When I was in school I'd stay up literally all night for many nights in a row drawing and modeling characters and I loved every minute of it. I can't stay up all night for anything anymore, regardless of how much I love doing it. Whether I go to bed at 9 PM or 3AM, my son gets up at 7AM every morning. If I spend my entire free time on my personal work, my wife would have a thing or two to say about it. I'm just speaking for myself here, but things can get in the way of your personal passions, and you have to fit them in where you can. Staying up all night may work for some people, but not for others. In truth, I could probably devote more time to this and at least try to reach that some level of perfection, but other aspects of my life would suffer. Since I do this for strictly for fun, taking away time from my family and interests simply for the sake of fun is not something I'd be willing to do. Would I fault anyone that does put in that kind of time to these designs? He!! no, I respect the heck out of them! They could be playing video games all day or watching television. Instead they're pursuing their passion and doing it well.

I think the great thing about contests like this is the fact that we have such a spectrum of people coming here for all sorts of reasons. You do it because you have a passion for it and are very good at it. Some people may be here because they desperately want that $500 check for whatever reason. I like to come here just because it's a fun diversion. I like the challenge of trying to come up with an interesting take on a theme. If it wasn't fun I wouldn't be here. I have spent upwards of 6 or 7 hours on an entry just to watch it flop. Then I spend an hour on Watch it Grow and it ends up being a big seller. It's such a random thing it's hard to wrap your head around. I've pretty much stopped trying. I'll throw an idea out, if it works great, if it doesn't, hey there's always next week. I don't really feel bad if one design is a quickie and another is one I put a ton of time into. They're all fun to do and that's the point for me.

Anyways, sorry for the long riff and congrats again on the well done designs this week. Also sorry to the thread owner for taking up so much space.

yodafool8

quality posts: 0 Private Messages yodafool8

aww kitty!!

Zenne

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Zenne
Re: Lighthouse

For some reason I feel like I might be missing out on part of the conversation or something, but I clicked on a link from another derby entry...and the picture in the shirt comp is drawn from a different angle than the reference image. I'm not going to try to make a judgment on if it is too close to the original photograph or not regardless, but I will say that I don't think it's traced. Just heavily referenced.

andrewlb

quality posts: 0 Private Messages andrewlb

(in response to the pucker)

Although I like your shirts, I can't help but think of the fact that if you used most of your designs with an object besides the pucker, you could have a good chance of winning. I don't want to harp on the way you do things, but maybe just once you should try something w/o it.... you could win.

I'm only human

daedalusknight

quality posts: 1 Private Messages daedalusknight
brizz wrote:That's not line art.

Wow... all this debate about my sad little 121st place shirt.

I'd like to just state my case once more and be done with it. I'm thankful for all your opinions and discussion and I really do value your input, however I'm not going to put any more discussion into this as it's obviously not going to be made into a shirt come the end of the week, so it's not really worth arguing over.

I'm not trying to "cheat" here. I'm not trying to get away with something I should not. What I did was take a white sheet of paper and draw a black line design on it. Then I scanned it, cleaned it up, and put it on the black t-shirt. I obviously didn't want to leave a big white rectangle around it, so I trimmed that off. It's still line art, black lines on white background, but you may choose to see it differently. If so, you're entitled to have that opinion.

If you'd much rather see this as an inverted image (white lines on a black t-shirt) or with the same image on a white t-shirt, I'd be happy to post either one or both. Personally, I don't think it's worth the effort as it doesn't seem like it will be voted for in either case. Let's just move on and give our attention to some of the wonderful shirts that actually have a chance of winning. I'm personally rooting for "As the Wind Blows" and I'd really like to see it make it to print. I'd probably buy a couple of those. :-)

andrewlb

quality posts: 0 Private Messages andrewlb
Re: Spring Rebirth

I don't know if I would wear this shirt, or buy it, but damn its beautiful

I'm only human

ilipichicuma

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ilipichicuma

This is hilarious. Good work. It's too bad that text isn't allowed to make the joke better.

dekonstruct

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dekonstruct
Re: Space Bunneh!

Who's in the hotness? It's me, it's me!

It goes without saying I'd be into a minimal design derby, but only if there's an intricate design derby after it. I'd like to try it. It'd be cool if everyone was limited to one design. I'd like to see what people choose to do for something like that.

brizz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages brizz
daedalusknight wrote:Wow... all this debate about my sad little 121st place shirt.

I'd like to just state my case once more and be done with it. I'm thankful for all your opinions and discussion and I really do value your input, however I'm not going to put any more discussion into this as it's obviously not going to be made into a shirt come the end of the week, so it's not really worth arguing over.

I'm not trying to "cheat" here. I'm not trying to get away with something I should not. What I did was take a white sheet of paper and draw a black line design on it. Then I scanned it, cleaned it up, and put it on the black t-shirt. I obviously didn't want to leave a big white rectangle around it, so I trimmed that off. It's still line art, black lines on white background, but you may choose to see it differently. If so, you're entitled to have that opinion.

If you'd much rather see this as an inverted image (white lines on a black t-shirt) or with the same image on a white t-shirt, I'd be happy to post either one or both. Personally, I don't think it's worth the effort as it doesn't seem like it will be voted for in either case. Let's just move on and give our attention to some of the wonderful shirts that actually have a chance of winning. I'm personally rooting for "As the Wind Blows" and I'd really like to see it make it to print. I'd probably buy a couple of those. :-)

i understand perfectly what you did...it's just not within the rules of this theme, which clearly states "no fill". had you put it on a white shirt, it would fly, but then it wouldn't look like it does. I guess myself and others took umbrage with your disregard of the basic rules and trying to justify it anyway. But you are absolutely right - it is not worth haggling about since it has no chance of being printed...

viceral

quality posts: 0 Private Messages viceral
jimiyo wrote:you gave me a most fantastic idea i will not execute

the last supper painting with

pirate
zombie
hamster
penguin
skull
octopus
ninja
lolcat

erm... who else...

and who should be judas?

O please please do this. It can be a symbol amongst our shirt.woot brethren. A thrifty homage to the stylish genius that is woot. It will be like that scene in fight club with the waiter and Jack only with less black eyes and more t-shirts.

Rachel4Rent

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Rachel4Rent
Re: The Turtle

Awe. You always see those goofy cartoon turtles on shirts. This turtle is perfect the way it is and I'd love to wear it =)

rglee129

quality posts: 28 Private Messages rglee129
waffala wrote:I like this idea, especially the paper, the bears look off though, they don't give off the same vibe as the girl does because of how they're drawn, but I would be interested in seing a peice based on them by themselves. The flying away on a jetpack and that she's actually flying away idea is awesome though.

Thanks to all for both the thoughtful feedback and ctitique! There's definitely a broad intent with the paper and lines, etc., about constraint, expectations, and escape, but the original impetus was that I had earlier sketched on some notebook paper a girl who just seemed to be very expressive and I wanted to put her in a drawing- the framing just added some angst to react to. I think the animals add a nice emotional foil, but are naive (and naively drawn).

sh4ne

quality posts: 2 Private Messages sh4ne
Re: Skulls Skulls Skulls!

how will the fade effect print? it almost looks like gradients but i don't know.

=)

carina83

quality posts: 0 Private Messages carina83
dhouse87 wrote:Adorable concept, can see you doing well in derbies....

Hate the shirt color, will vote, however, because, it's adorable. and would seriously consider buying

Thanks! Yeah, I guess the color isn't all that good but I was going for an elephant like color...that went with the gray, guess I didn't do such a good job :/

geekfactor12

quality posts: 11 Private Messages geekfactor12
sh4ne wrote:how will the fade effect print? it almost looks like gradients but i don't know.

There are no gradients, that effect is achieved entirely through line width. It should look pretty much exactly the way it does on screen if it is printed.

Jimi did an amazing job with this one!