Rachel4Rent

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Rachel4Rent
Re: Sashimi Hunters Woodcut

Awesome design... But not on a shirt

Plus if you're a woman the design would be pretty distorted ... I'd have people staring intently at my chest for a while figuring out what it was.

esupin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages esupin

I wonder if this will pick up enough steam, though. Super awesome design, though!

iancwulf

quality posts: 0 Private Messages iancwulf

I swear if this doesn't become a shirt for sale on woot im going to boy-cot woot.com

GravityJMB

quality posts: 5 Private Messages GravityJMB
Re: la calavera

I'm rooting for this to go fog-ward. Vote, people! This shirt is awesome.

GravityJMB

quality posts: 5 Private Messages GravityJMB
Re: Just Keep Spinning

This is one of my 'totally-would-buy' picks for this derby. Love it. Hope I have the chance to purchase!

s5sandy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages s5sandy
Re: Kolam

Great design. very ethnic....contemporary...

violinalto

quality posts: 0 Private Messages violinalto

Such a simple, yet beautiful design!

Rachel4Rent

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Rachel4Rent
Re: Spring Rebirth

Wow. Very beautiful. I have a friend thats veryyyy into birds that would love this!

thatrobert

quality posts: 26 Private Messages thatrobert
tgentry wrote:(Please excuse the length of this post, it's pretty much just a train of thought...

Then I spend an hour on Watch it Grow and it ends up being a big seller. It's such a random thing it's hard to wrap your head around. I've pretty much stopped trying. I'll throw an idea out, if it works great, if it doesn't, hey there's always next week.

TGentry, feel free to take up space on my shirt's thread with thoughtful posts anytime. I'm coming from a similar place as you -- my daughter wakes up right around 7am, my passion/salary is further outside the derby (computers for me), and derby time directly subtracts from family time. I appreciate the effort and passion that people are putting in to this and I'd like to do the same when I can.

Like you said, voting is bizarre. Instead of effort or beauty being rewarded it seems to be the opposite. For the most part, the shirts I've spent the most effort on have performed dismally. All my shirts that were printed were comparatively "quickies". That makes it easy to be cynical and look for the meme, the angle, or the dumb joke. It is great that there are people who are trying to work beyond that.

haxrox

quality posts: 10 Private Messages haxrox

Great design, mwm, and I admire your patience with the criticism. I'm all for simple, clean designs and hope you'll continue to experiment with this sort of thing.

binaisagnome

quality posts: 0 Private Messages binaisagnome
Re: Cthulhu

I want this shirt very much

ReneaKat

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ReneaKat
binaisagnome wrote:I want this shirt very much

i just told you about this!

Zombie Season, The Apathy Monster, Full of Ink, Taking Flight, Random Shirt: Suicidal Maple Leaf, What Dreams Are Made Of, Say No To Scurvy, Swim Little Nessie, Random Shirt: Tall Pipes, Nevermore, The Tycoon of ICE, Love of Money, (W)Right Angle Neutrality, Zombeer, Random Shirt: Mr Toast, Fire Dancer, Calypso Weapon, Random Shirt: Mister Bobo Masonic Dyna-Monkey, Can You Spell BRAAAINS!, Imposter, Random Shirt: They Were Delicious, Random Shirt: I wish..., Head Shot

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
Re: grow

Aside from my feelings for or against this design, I am not sure how it fits the derby theme. The theme is line art which does not mean are made of only lines. Rather, it is a type of art that uses lines to make the piece of art, in this case, a shirt, look more complicated. The lines would provide depth or shading or replace fills. This design, although elegant, is just lines shaped in something that can be pretty. I just don't understand how this design has fit the derby.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

bryozoan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bryozoan
kylemittskus wrote:Aside from my feelings for or against this design, I am not sure how it fits the derby theme. The theme is line art which does not mean are made of only lines. Rather, it is a type of art that uses lines to make the piece of art, in this case, a shirt, look more complicated. The lines would provide depth or shading or replace fills. This design, although elegant, is just lines shaped in something that can be pretty. I just don't understand how this design has fit the derby.

Wikipedia.com

"Line art is any image that consists of distinct straight and curved lines placed against a (usually plain) background, without gradations in shade (darkness) or hue (color) to represent two-dimensional or three-dimensional objects. Line art can use lines of different colors, although line art is usually monochromatic.

"Line art emphasizes form and outline, over color, shading, and texture. However, areas of solid pigment and dots can also be used in addition to lines. The lines in a piece of line art may be all of a constant width (as in some pencil drawings), of several (few) constant widths (as in technical illustrations), or of freely varying widths (as in brush work or engraving)."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Line_art

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
Re: Cletus

Cletus is my hound- a blue tick hound. He is cryin' all the time, like the song. That's because he isn't being fed every single second of every single day.

MissyBush

quality posts: 0 Private Messages MissyBush

Coool. I'll take two!

klswoot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages klswoot
Re: Cletus

Great face Josephus! You are really improving each week. I think your daughter has forced you to 'up your game'. Nicely done!

outlawmoogle

quality posts: 2 Private Messages outlawmoogle
Re: Death on a Pale White UNICORN!

Eh...part of the unicorn looks like dots, and part of it looks like fill....I don't really see how it completely fits the theme.

klswoot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages klswoot
Re: Seriously... Breadcrumbs?

I was hoping we'd see a design showing off the architect in Patchitect. Do you have a larger image to see the detail for the top portion of the design?

MissyBush

quality posts: 0 Private Messages MissyBush

Love it! Hope you win

mjc613

quality posts: 48 Private Messages mjc613
Re: Cattitude

Great work, Sparklz

geekfactor12

quality posts: 11 Private Messages geekfactor12

Voted! This is one of the most unique ideas in the derby, hands down. I second the call for some good detail pics of the other areas

mjc613

Re: Vampire Cactus

This made me smile. It's come quite a way from your original piece posted on your blog in July. I hope you have a link to your stuff in your woot signature.

GMV

Tehh4x

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Tehh4x
Re: Nuts and bolts

dood
i'd wear it, and i hope i get the chance to. that wuz teh funneh.

jimiyo

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jimiyo
sh4ne wrote:how will the fade effect print? it almost looks like gradients but i don't know.

the bg in the 600 image shows how its one color. the effect prints pretty good if they use a high mesh screen, ive used a similar style of shading before on a shirt i design previously.

jimiyo

outlawmoogle wrote:Eh...part of the unicorn looks like dots, and part of it looks like fill....I don't really see how it completely fits the theme.

me neither... they should reject this POS!

sleemo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sleemo

Thanks a lot, everyone!

superspryte

quality posts: 21 Private Messages superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

jimiyo wrote:me neither... they should reject this POS!

LOL

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | tg.w: 0 | sp.w: 0 | a.w: 0 | k.w: 0 | s.w: 15 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

Iambusyeating

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Iambusyeating

Faith and Begorrah thats exactly what my house looks like. Sort of. GMV.

palmettogirl

quality posts: 2 Private Messages palmettogirl
Re: Ushering in Spring

I really like the busy-ness of it. It is kinda like playing Where is Waldo to find the bird. The colors are fresh and perfect for spring!

mjc613

peppersagooddog wrote:would someone please explain to me why a feminine design that will look dreadfull on the feminine anatomy is garnering so many votes? i mean if you LIKE the design it's ok but you are supposed to vote for something you would WEAR. people with bewbies cant wear this, and what guy would? i dont get it.

This is the most sensible comment I've seen about this shirt. My husband would never wear this and it would look ugly on me. Usually simple shirts fit one of our wants/needs, but this doesn't.

mjc613

Heavens to Murgatroyd, I NEED This shirt!!!

jimiyo

geekfactor12 wrote:Jimi did an amazing job with this one!

Hrm.... you should change your name to CoolArseFactor12 cause its Obvious to me, that you arent a geek, as you have refreshed my hope for mankind, just when I was about to exclaim my Distaste for this world, and say "Im SO TIRED, of people having opinions different from my opinion, How Audacious!"

i kid i kid. if there was a derby for coolness. you and cho would be in the fog. ;j

and superspryte.

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

Re: The Thunderbolt

How about some late-night love for the WWII fighter plane?

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | tg.w: 0 | sp.w: 0 | a.w: 0 | k.w: 0 | s.w: 15 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

jimiyo wrote:Hrm.... you should change your name to CoolArseFactor12 cause its Obvious to me, that you arent a geek, as you have refreshed my hope for mankind, just when I was about to exclaim my Distaste for this world, and say "Im SO TIRED, of people having opinions different from my opinion, How Audacious!"

i kid i kid. if there was a derby for coolness. you and cho would be in the fog. ;j

and superspryte.

Ahaha, what's that? Sucking up doesn't get anyone anything here. ^_~ But you're nice anyway.

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
klswoot wrote:Great face Josephus! You are really improving each week. I think your daughter has forced you to 'up your game'. Nicely done!

thanks, ma'am. super job on the koi.

My talent until recently was largely unpracticed and is self taught. She has more talent, and spends a lot of time working on it.

jimiyo

Re: The Thunderbolt

Zoink! GMV!

I dont have a job. Why are you up so late? ;J I hope you are on Mountain time!

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

jimiyo wrote:Zoink! GMV!

I dont have a job. Why are you up so late? ;J I hope you are on Mountain time!

I'm on Eastern time, actually. As it turns out this week is Spring Break here at Michigan State, and while I'm not a student anymore (graduated in December) I do nanny for a family whose mother is a student. They're on vacation this week so I don't work. 1am isn't that late anyway. ^_^ And thanks for the vote!

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
bryozoan wrote:Wikipedia.com

"Line art is any image that consists of distinct straight and curved lines placed against a (usually plain) background, without gradations in shade (darkness) or hue (color) to represent two-dimensional or three-dimensional objects. Line art can use lines of different colors, although line art is usually monochromatic.

"Line art emphasizes form and outline, over color, shading, and texture. However, areas of solid pigment and dots can also be used in addition to lines. The lines in a piece of line art may be all of a constant width (as in some pencil drawings), of several (few) constant widths (as in technical illustrations), or of freely varying widths (as in brush work or engraving)."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Line_art

I would die before I used wikipedia as a referential source. Look at photos of line art. Don't read what pundits think they know about it.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

waffala

quality posts: 0 Private Messages waffala
Gumiho wrote:I'll keep that in mind if I ever work with this kind of design again. I don't generally ever draw machines or steampunk, but the derby is just my excuse to try out new things, so I thought I'd give it a go. I've actually been to that "how to draw steampunk" site, which is where I found out what components are needed in a steam machine.
Thanks for your comments.

Do you still have the link? I like this peice, anything steampunk related is pretty awesome.