frogboyjb

quality posts: 0 Private Messages frogboyjb
SailorButterfly wrote:This would be a perfect St. Patrick's Day shirt (I need one, too). GMV and if it wins, I'll overnight to make sure I get it in time!!

awesome, thanks for the vote

wyofool

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wyofool
Re: Beached

I think I've been there and seen that! Not sure I'd go back, but would take the shirt.

Atherton5

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Atherton5
daedalusknight wrote:You know, this is the kind of shirt that makes you wish they could go fill bleed. This would be fabulous as a band of wind across the middle of the shirt, extending to both sides. Even so, given the limitations of the printing process, I think it's great... very dynamic and.. breezy.

You've got my vote... I hope it makes it so that I can grab one or two of these.

Thank you very much! This would be an entirely different shirt if I could use gradients to have the design fade away. But alas, the restrictions of the printing process. Maybe someday.

andrewlb

quality posts: 0 Private Messages andrewlb
artulo wrote:Thanks for your support derby neighbor

Thanks artulo : )

I'm only human

jonomc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jonomc
Re: Dream State

pretty simple here, all 1.5 pt lines, hand drawn vector graphics, hope you likee
:j

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
Re: Cletus

I thought I'd show the real Cletus.

jamescho84

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jamescho84
Josephus wrote:I thought I'd show the real Cletus.

beautiful dog, how old is he?

eyeslikesugar

quality posts: 2 Private Messages eyeslikesugar
Re: Sans Ceiling

-James Cho -EdgarRMcherly Shirt.Woot.Com - Ye Oldest Sucker - 2009

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
jamescho84 wrote:beautiful dog, how old is he?

He's eight. and a complete terror. My wife said, you should have called the design 'nemesis'.

bugtwist

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bugtwist
Re: shamrock

Fantastic, i've been dying for a green shirt. Plus I like the elegant centerd design. GMV and my buy if it wins!

klswoot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages klswoot
Re: Ushering in Spring

palmettogirl wrote:I really like the busy-ness of it. It is kinda like playing Where is Waldo to find the bird. The colors are fresh and perfect for spring!

Thanks Palmetto. It probably does have a little more than is necessary. If I consider adding color to it, I'll remove a few things to make it more clear what's going on. Thanks for the comments.

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
Atherton5 wrote:Nice try, thanks for the "Good job" but this is my own unique artwork. It is not ripped off of anything or anyone's existing artwork, you are welcome to check for yourself, as I am an exclusive contributor to iStockphoto.com and my ORIGINAL artwork resides on that site at:
http://www.istockphoto.com/file_closeup.php?id=4067713
I created and posted the original last August. I don't see the similarity you mention in your comment.

Hell, even I'll back him up on it being original artwork, to the best of my knowledge. My qualm with it is that woot has, in the less-than-a-year they've been around, offered two different dia de los muertos shirts. As an artist capable of doing interesting things with your art, you'd be getting a lot more recognition if those things were more unique, thematically. A popular theme can get you a lot of design recognition, but really putting out something unique will give you a lot of name recognition, and that's what will score you more consistent votes.

ExpletiveDeleted

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ExpletiveDeleted

I'm not reporting this to get in trouble I am reporting it to get answers from someone who could answer it concisely. Added to it would be "What can't we trace?"

eyeslikesugar wrote:this was covered before -- and if you'll notice, it wasn't rejected due to "trace", it was rejected to a similar shirt existing.

Thanks for the reply. I hadn't seen that other entry or rejection by him before. I think if my question was better phrased, then so many people wouldn't have jumped on my case. I was just asking a question not making a comment on the skill of the entry.

eyeslikesugar wrote:I think if you compare ceiling cat to jimiyo's cats, you'll notice that neither one are a direct trace; no filter or livetrace could get the results he's achieved.

When I said "direct trace" I meant having an existing photo in the background, creating another layer on top of that, then using the initial photo as a guide to trace lines. It would appear that the entrant did this or has exceptional spacial ability because they line up perfectly (I don't care which way he did it, I'm just asking). Once again, is it OK to get a photo off the web and hand trace or live trace, I'm guessing "yes".

Also, I'm thinking that it's also OK to do as you pointed out in this thread but what are the no-no's of that? i.e. celebrities?, well known buildings?

Again, I just want info and gave those as an example as to what I'm asking. I'm NOT criticizing, just giving examples.

You mean I really am important? How I feel when I'm drunk is correct?

HotIceCream

quality posts: 0 Private Messages HotIceCream
Re: Line Tape

loving the old school stuff.

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
Amach06 wrote:This shirt needs to get printed. This is what this site needs. Great Designers like this.

Completely agreed. This would be the best shirt woot's printed since January

Woot needs great designers, but woot won't vote for them at gunpoint.

jzelts

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jzelts
Re: sticky

what a great design.

eyeslikesugar

ExpletiveDeleted wrote:Thanks for the reply. I hadn't seen that other entry or rejection by him before. I think if my question was better phrased, then so many people wouldn't have jumped on my case. I was just asking a question not making a comment on the skill of the entry.

When I said "direct trace" I meant having an existing photo in the background, creating another layer on top of that, then using the initial photo as a guide to trace lines. It would appear that the entrant did this or has exceptional spacial ability because they line up perfectly (I don't care which way he did it, I'm just asking). Once again, is it OK to get a photo off the web and hand trace or live trace, I'm guessing "yes".

Also, I'm thinking that it's also OK to do as you pointed out in this thread but what are the no-no's of that? i.e. celebrities?, well known buildings?

Again, I just want info and gave those as an example as to what I'm asking. I'm NOT criticizing, just giving examples.

I don't know for sure, because I am not him. But honestly, I think Jimiyo did not use a layer to re-draw the cat with the image underneath. If you'll take a look at his portfolio, he's a skilled artist with talent; I think he just knows so much about proportions from classes/skill he can easily draw an accurate ceiling cat. Other shirts have been put under scrutiny like this, with no rejection. (sandcastle Tromp shirt comes to mind - not linking, I don't want to start a war) So the rules are a bit fuzzy. I am neither Jimiyo nor the sandcastle's artist, so I do not know for sure how they made them. If you are honestly concerned, perhaps you'd like to ask Joel, a staffer, or one of the mods?

Gumiho

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Gumiho
Re: Dream State

This is very nice. I like how clean the image looks. You managed to do a lot without using a ton of lines. The rope for the tire swing seems a bit long, but I still like it. Nice job.

superspryte

quality posts: 21 Private Messages superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

ExpletiveDeleted wrote:I'm not reporting this to get in trouble I am reporting it to get answers from someone who could answer it concisely. Added to it would be "What can't we trace?"

The issue comes in with copyright. Is it your property to be tracing, and if not is it more than just an influence? That's where it's a little gray. If woot deems it's just an influence and not a copy they're usually okay, but that doesn't happen too often. Like everyone says, it's best to come up with your own. ^_^ If nothing else it will save you trouble.

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | tg.w: 0 | sp.w: 0 | a.w: 0 | k.w: 0 | s.w: 15 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

eyeslikesugar wrote:I don't know for sure, because I am not him. But honestly, I think Jimiyo did not use a layer to re-draw the cat with the image underneath. If you'll take a look at his portfolio, he's a skilled artist with talent; I think he just knows so much about proportions from classes/skill he can easily draw an accurate ceiling cat. Other shirts have been put under scrutiny like this, with no rejection. (sandcastle Tromp shirt comes to mind-not linking, I don't want to start a war) So the rules are a but fuzzy. I am neither Jimiyo nor the sandcastle's artist, so I do not know for sure how they made them. If you are honestly concerned, perhaps you'd like to ask Joel, a staffer, or one of the mods?

Ahaha, you can mention me if you want. I don't mind. ^_~

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | tg.w: 0 | sp.w: 0 | a.w: 0 | k.w: 0 | s.w: 15 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

kuchiewoochie

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kuchiewoochie

totally agreed. this would be my first woot l.ol

jimiyo

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jimiyo
eyeslikesugar wrote:

hahhaha...that is awesome! right click save!!! totally lookos like a cat.

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

jimiyo wrote:hahhaha...that is awesome! right click save!!! totally lookos like a cat.

that wuz teh funneh jimi your sig makes my eyes hurt. I love it. ^_^

klswoot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages klswoot
jamescho84 wrote:beautiful dog, how old is he?

Hey James - Thanks for adding my musical abstract to your signature. I dropped all my 'vote' ones this week. They weren't contenders and didn't want to overwhelm my signature. But, it was fun to see the one you added to yours. Thank you sir!

tiaerman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tiaerman
superspryte wrote:The issue comes in with copyright. Is it your property to be tracing, and if not is it more than just an influence? That's where it's a little gray. If woot deems it's just an influence and not a copy they're usually okay, but that doesn't happen too often. Like everyone says, it's best to come up with your own. ^_^ If nothing else it will save you trouble.

I say just have fun doing what you do and hope for the best. If something is rejected everyonce in a while because Woot deems it is a violation then so be it. I personally don't design to win (although $200 would be nice...), I just do it because it is fun. I enjoy the forums, the comments, the criticisms, the jokes, the other Wooters, etc. I don't possess much natural artistic talent that I am aware of but I find that the computer software I use (Inkscape) complements the small smidgeon of talent I have. I google image search random words for inspiration. Maybe next week I will draw a "spectacular" toilet seat . My fiancee tells me there are some pretty interesting ones out there (glow in the dark, etc...).

To Jimiyo: I would miss you if you left. I have been a behind the scenes fan of your art since I started. I don't know how long you have been around but I know youve been here since before I got hooked. I really enjoy your art and look forward to your new entries each week. Please keep up the good work!

There are 10 types of people: those who know binary, and those who don't.

eyeslikesugar

tiaerman wrote:I say just have fun doing what you do and hope for the best. If something is rejected everyonce in a while because Woot deems it is a violation then so be it. I personally don't design to win (although $200 would be nice...)

If you sell over 500 shirts, you actually win $500 ;)

Anything under is $200, and i don't think ANY derby winner has sold under 200; not sure tho.

frogboyjb

quality posts: 0 Private Messages frogboyjb
bugtwist wrote:Fantastic, i've been dying for a green shirt. Plus I like the elegant centerd design. GMV and my buy if it wins!

thanks for the vote, hopefully it will do well

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

tiaerman wrote:(although $200 would be nice...)

What about $250 for a winner or $500 if it sells over 500 (the info page needs to be updated)? So far every derby winner has sold over 500 shirts so it's practically a guaranteed $500.

EDIT - Looks like els got there before me, hee hee.

sunshine724

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sunshine724

I love this drawing! Great Job!

Re: Ole Blue

FenStar

quality posts: 16 Private Messages FenStar
Re: Why Can't I Fly, Friend?

Is there any way we can have one post, that explains the logic of this rejection in a way that people who don't follow the derby can understand? I have never seen a flying penguin shirt on woot, as far as I can remember, so I am confused.

Still single, can't imagine why.

eighnjel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages eighnjel
Re: Hatter's House

I love it, as I do with most of your work. The colors of this shirt are awesome. gmv. Also I would totally buy a print of the full color version.

geekfactor12

quality posts: 11 Private Messages geekfactor12
FenStar wrote:Is there any way we can have one post, that explains the logic of this rejection in a way that people who don't follow the derby can understand? I have never seen a flying penguin shirt on woot, as far as I can remember, so I am confused.

Everyone else is equally confused, that's why this is a controversial decision.

There has never been a flying penguin printed on Woot. So why penguins got the axe instead of pirates, ninjas, zombies or robots will forever remain a mystery to all Wooters.

The bright side of this is that Joel says from now on, if any themes are disallowed he will state this information at the beginning of the derby. So at least this is somewhat unlikely to happen again.

Foildisc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Foildisc
Re: Leinart

?

kylethegreat

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kylethegreat
Re: line rhino right

PLease!! Make this one win!!

sclark3987

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sclark3987
Ashleyrah wrote: It just doesn't seem sporting...

Summary of the general consensus:

It wasn't penguin hunting season, but you shot them out of the sky anyways.

AZFOOTBALL

quality posts: 0 Private Messages AZFOOTBALL
Foildisc wrote:?

This is the leinart contest is it not?

my2collies

quality posts: 0 Private Messages my2collies

I so want this shirt! My fingers are crossed that it wins- this really ought to be my shirt.

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

Re: Tomato Mermaid

Bodybuilder tomato mermaid.

mjc613

quality posts: 47 Private Messages mjc613
superspryte wrote:The issue comes in with copyright. Is it your property to be tracing, and if not is it more than just an influence? That's where it's a little gray. If woot deems it's just an influence and not a copy they're usually okay, but that doesn't happen too often. Like everyone says, it's best to come up with your own. ^_^ If nothing else it will save you trouble.

This is exactly the point. If you took a foto of your cat, and traced your photo - that you own - that should be perfectly legal (unless Joel posts a no tracing rule for a particular derby.).

If you take a picture off a website that is not your own and has a copyright, then it could be violation of the Terms and Conditions you agree to when submitting an entry. No. 11 is this :
"11. Artist Representations. Artist represents and warrants that he/she has the right to enter into this Agreement, that the Artwork is original and has not been previously used commercially, and shall not infringe upon or violate any copyright, or any other personal or proprietary right of any kind of any third party. Artist indemnifies Woot, its officers, directors, employees, successors and assigns, against any and all losses, expenses (including attorney’s reasonable fees), or damages arising out of any breach of Artist’s warranties, representations, and obligations hereunder. This paragraph shall survive the expiration or termination of this Agreement for any reason."

If you think there could be controversy, state your source up front.

SkekTek

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek
SailorButterfly wrote:You're right, it is! GMV

Thx! Now, if I can just get it to 100 before the end of the contest, I'd be a happy kitty...