mjpupillo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mjpupillo
planitL wrote:Very cool. I like the color choices especially.

Thanks. I'm new to this, but am having fun submitting stuff.

brizz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages brizz
jimiyo wrote:
ive only hung around for a few weeks but im already TIRED OF THIS PLACE. i wish i could be gracious when unwarrant Animosity is presented towards me, but seriously it feels like a bunch of fake butt kissers with their minions of haters. anytime someone comes through, who's not on YOUR team, you get the minions sent after you. this way, the person who sent the minions, maintains their nice persona..

Jimi....that just may be the best breakdown of the derbies i've seen yet. SPOT ON!

But don't let the H8ers win! stick around buddy!

AnGeLiCbOrIs

quality posts: 0 Private Messages AnGeLiCbOrIs
Re: Finger Sprouts

Very cool. I think it would look a bit better with a more "electric" green, though.

Well done!

planitL

quality posts: 0 Private Messages planitL
Re: It's kind of like sonar...

I feel like I'm in a modern art museum Faith and Begorrah

mjc613

quality posts: 47 Private Messages mjc613
brizz wrote:I just came across this and realized why this seemed familiar...it's basically already for sale at threadless:

Brizz, I disagree about them being the same. (And I've been known to be very particular about things that are very similar. ) I can see that this may have been the inspiration for Beefcoat's entry, but that would be hard to say, unless he said so.

First, the dinosaurs are very different. The Threadless version has malevolence written all over his/her face, and has an Asian-inspired look. BC's is all cute. Instead of popping out of a game monitor, it's standing in the middle of a cracked polka-dotted egg. And the expression is totally different.

Then I have to say that I think the knights are different too. The armor is different and the plumage is different. I think their stances are different, but I need to double check that. And BC's is definitely not holding a game controller.

But this is just my opinion. Let me know if I missed something.

ansharp

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ansharp
Re: Line Tape

Great shirt. Can you post a detail of some of the lines?

mjc613

no1 wrote:The lighthouse may have been traced, but I don't think it's from this particular photo. If you compare the circled parts shown below:

Red circled area: the little extension of the house sticks out further in the shirt than in the photo
Blue circled area: the bottom of the tower in the photo is flat, the bottom in the shirt is concave up.
Green circled area: the greenish ring and the platform are concave down in the photo, they're concave up in the shirt.

From the differences, I'd guess that the perspective in the shirt is from a location to the right and higher up than in the photo that was posted earlier.

Thanks no1. I wish you had a chance to point this out yesterday, or that the person who submitted the entry would have presented that, instead of the avenue he chose.

Andy47240

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Andy47240
Re: Seriously... Breadcrumbs?

I really like the concept of this design.
-Andy

brizz

mjc613 wrote:Brizz, I disagree about them being the same. (And I've been known to be very particular about things that are very similar. ) I can see that this may have been the inspiration for Beefcoat's entry, but that would be hard to say, unless he said so.

First, the dinosaurs are very different. The Threadless version has malevolence written all over his/her face, and has an Asian-inspired look. BC's is all cute. Instead of popping out of a game monitor, it's standing in the middle of a cracked polka-dotted egg. And the expression is totally different.

Then I have to say that I think the knights are different too. The armor is different and the plumage is different. I think their stances are different, but I need to double check that. And BC's is definitely not holding a game controller.

But this is just my opinion. Let me know if I missed something.

I wasn't saying they are the SAME...just similar. instead of an egg, the dragon is coming out of a tv (game?) - and the knight is surprised or otherwise saying Oh ****!

just the same concept...which has proven rejectable before, but sometimes not. As I said, i was just perusing the designs by today's daily designer and this was one of his and seemed similar enough to post. Of course it's not the same, but there's no denying they are basically presenting the same concept even if executed slightly differently. I don't care one way or another if it flies or not....but the best voter is an informed voter! (that one's for sale right now fwiw)

Andy47240

Re: Knight On Navy

Taylor,
Why is it call Knight on Navy when it is on Green? Just wondering.
-Andy

Andy47240

Re: Jet packed.

I love this design solely for the expression on the girls face.
-Andy

Figit090

quality posts: 6 Private Messages Figit090
Re: Spring Rebirth

WOAH.

that's dedication nice work.

what methods did you use to get from idea to submission? I'm curious what people use as far as the initial drawing to possibly scanning and refining and such...i'm pretty new to this.

2005vette

quality posts: 0 Private Messages 2005vette
Re: St. Pat's

Who's the Wicken?

Hazelnuts

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Hazelnuts
Re: Not a Pussycat

i like!

frogboyjb

quality posts: 0 Private Messages frogboyjb
Re: zombies ate my city

very nice, complex and simple at the same time GMV

mjc613

Re: Hypnotic Box

This is another shirt where I would like a closeup of more detail, or an explanation of what we are seeing. Was this done with different line thicknesses? If so, were the thicknesses random or graduated? Why would this design be considered hypnotic?

FunkeeM, I am asking these questions because the more you tell people about a design, the more they buy into it. This is especially important in a derby where there are so many very well executed designs. Sometimes the story behind the design can be the difference between fogged and unfogged.

aevans07

quality posts: 0 Private Messages aevans07

oh no! get back in the fog! how did the leaf get in and not this??

Re: Death on a Pale White UNICORN!

TAYLORT5

quality posts: 1 Private Messages TAYLORT5
Andy47240 wrote:Taylor,
Why is it call Knight on Navy when it is on Green? Just wondering.
-Andy

good question. answer is : don't know.I think I submitted it on navy first, then changed it.and put the first color
I went with. so It already has a little mystery to it ...ratfarts.

You're on probation!

You've been put on posting probation for this post for this reason: Ok, I deleted it 3 times. Do you not get it? (24h) Personal attack/useless post.

Please stare at the scary cartoon dog for 20 hours and then try posting again.

mjc613

brizz wrote:I wasn't saying they are the SAME...just similar. instead of an egg, the dragon is coming out of a tv (game?) - and the knight is surprised or otherwise saying Oh ****!

just the same concept...which has proven rejectable before, but sometimes not. As I said, i was just perusing the designs by today's daily designer and this was one of his and seemed similar enough to post. Of course it's not the same, but there's no denying they are basically presenting the same concept even if executed slightly differently. I don't care one way or another if it flies or not....but the best voter is an informed voter! (that one's for sale right now fwiw)

I agree about informing the voters, even when it gets me hate mail. I remember past derbies where a shirt was rejected because it was "done before", even when the drawings were different. I just think that these 2 aren't close enough, based on what I can see. You think differently. Well, you and I think differently on other things as well. That's all part of art and clothing preference (and politics and religion and......)

dmkooosbc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dmkooosbc
Re: Skull on Cranberry

I think it's perfect where it is!

mjc613

Andy47240 wrote:-Andy

Andy, your new picture is really shocking. Does woot have a shirt that fits the new you?

klswoot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages klswoot
brizz wrote:I wasn't saying they are the SAME...just similar. instead of an egg, the dragon is coming out of a tv (game?) - and the knight is surprised or otherwise saying Oh ****!

These entries are similar in that they have a dragon and a knight...but I fail to see any way in which this is grounds for rejection. If you are going to use this narrow a definition of 'used concept' then you should be fair and apply it to many of the other top-ranking designs as well. Flightless jetpacked birds....been done....birds with ornate detail on a branch....been done....skulls...been done over and over....minimalist leaves....probably been done as a logo somewhere..... following your logic the first two entries that would seem truly unique in concept and execution would be Sashimi hunters and Hatter's House. (And of course...Hatter's house has been done, but I'd say TG's entry is unique in how he sees the house.)

I don't know about other people, but I think this is a terribly unfair assessment of a very unique entry by Beefcoat...who has shown only quality entries in the few derbies he's participated and showed us a dragon with knight in one of his first designs. It was very popular but submitted almost at the end of the derby. I'm glad he submitted something else in this style and that the voters have approved via their vote.

nzemek

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nzemek
Re: zombies ate my city

INCREDIBLE!!

Cormey

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Cormey
Re: Beached

I like this one and I have seen that women before. I tryed to drag her back to the water once or twice, but she put up one hell of a fight!

brizz

klswoot wrote:Wow Brizz. This is a stretch even for you. These entries are similar in that they have a dragon and a knight...but I fail to see any way in which this is grounds for rejection. Are you serious? If you are going to use this narrow a definition of 'used concept' then you should be fair and apply it to many of the other top-ranking designs as well. Flightless jetpacked birds....been done....birds with ornate detail on a branch....been done....skulls...been done over and over....minimalist leaves....probably been done as a logo somewhere..... following your logic the first two entries that would seem truly unique in concept and execution would be Sashimi hunters and Hatter's House. (And of course...Hatter's house has been done, but I'd say TG's entry is unique in how he sees the house.)

I don't know about other people, but I think this is a terribly unfair assessment of a very unique entry by Beefcoat...who has shown only quality entries in the few derbies he's participated and showed us a dragon with knight in one of his first designs. It was very popular but submitted almost at the end of the derby.

Jesus H. Christ! Did I say it should be rejected? NO! For god's sake people....I just saw it and thought it was similar and it reminded me of this one....that's all. I swear this forum is the most hypersensitive ZOMG JUST BE NICE OR CHUT UP i've ever seen anywhere.

Beefcoat

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Beefcoat

Hey everyone,
First I would like to say that I agree with those of you who do not appreciate work that is a rip off of others. I assure you that is not what took place here. I honestly don't even know how to access the "threadless" deal, so let me assure you that it is not inspired from that. Also, I do remember the dragon entered into the quitter derby, but that also was not my insperation.

I used to love drawing dragons and there is still a place in my heart for it. I remembered drawing a baby dragon coming out of egg when I was a little younger. It is one of my favorite pen drawings. I was unable to find my oldsketch book so I recreated it. I hope that this helps you to know that it was simply what came to mind on Thursday when I drew it and that I was in no way attempting to copy anyone's idea. Vote in confidence!

klswoot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages klswoot
brizz wrote:Jesus H. Christ! Did I say it should be rejected? NO! For god's sake people....I just saw it and thought it was similar and it reminded me of this one....that's all. I swear this forum is the most hypersensitive ZOMG JUST BE NICE OR CHUT UP i've ever seen anywhere.

I just don't understand how you can narrowly apply your logic to one entry...but not do the same assessment to each of the entry's nearest neighbors.

dmkooosbc

Re: Dragon Tedium

I like your choice of colors. Agree with the shirt back comment ;). I prefer designs that are smaller an placed to the side, either upper or lower on shirts. Nice job.

frogboyjb

quality posts: 0 Private Messages frogboyjb

brizz

Beefcoat wrote:Hey everyone,
First I would like to say that I agree with those of you who do not appreciate work that is a rip off of others. I assure you that is not what took place here. I honestly don't even know how to access the "threadless" deal, so let me assure you that it is not inspired from that. Also, I do remember the dragon entered into the quitter derby, but that also was not my insperation.

I used to love drawing dragons and there is still a place in my heart for it. I remembered drawing a baby dragon coming out of egg when I was a little younger. It is one of my favorite pen drawings. I was unable to find my oldsketch book so I recreated it. I hope that this helps you to know that it was simply what came to mind on Thursday when I drew it and that I was in no way attempting to copy anyone's idea. Vote in confidence!

just so we're clear beefcoat, I did not post that in hopes it would get yours rejected....i'm rooting for your dragon to over take grow! I just thought it was an interesting take on the same concept that I'd seen before but had trouble placing...and then saw it when I was perusing the designs of today's daily winner. that's all. I figured the fans of this one might also like that one.

KLS - you are way off base here. Stop reading so much into everything. There is no cabal of support for jimi and cho trying to knock out everyone else. you're response borders on paranoid. I'm not a design hunter looking to get things rejected....and find me some shirts similar to jimi's or cho's and i'll gladly acknowledge them too.

FearTheGorgon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages FearTheGorgon
Re: It's kind of like sonar...

*giggles* love it!

dmkooosbc

Re: 100% Zebra

I'm a little concerned about the placement on larger-chested women?

Fabulous design. Done with a mouse? Oh my!!

dmkooosbc

Re: [url=http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=10763]Making Monet

But why the bag of money?

mjc613

Re: Gaudi

I am fascinated by this. It is clearly not a drawing of the Sacred Family Church in Barcelona, Gaudi's most famous work, but it clearly is not a typical church. The pire reminds me of Russian domes, and the building seems more like a storefront. Was any of this found in his buildings? I wouldn't be surprised, but I would be curious to learn more.

Beefcoat

brizz wrote:just so we're clear beefcoat, I did not post that in hopes it would get yours rejected....i'm rooting for your dragon to over take grow! I just thought it was an interesting take on the same concept that I'd seen before but had trouble placing...and then saw it when I was perusing the designs of today's daily winner. that's all. I figured the fans of this one might also like that one.

KLS - you are way off base here. Stop reading so much into everything. There is no cabal of support for jimi and cho trying to knock out everyone else. you're response borders on paranoid. I'm not a design hunter looking to get things rejected....and find me some shirts similar to jimi's or cho's and i'll gladly acknowledge them too.

No worries!!! Thanks for your support of the shirt Brizz, and KLS, thanks for standing up for the design. I think that you both are awesome! Thanks again for keeping me honest!

samwaltzjunk

quality posts: 2 Private Messages samwaltzjunk
mjpupillo wrote:Thanks. I'm new to this, but am having fun submitting stuff.

good work, but too close to two superimposed swastikas for my taste.

samwaltzjunk

quality posts: 2 Private Messages samwaltzjunk
SailorButterfly wrote:Hmm...I'd honestly be surprised if this hasn't been done somewhere before, but I'm too lazy to search for it. l o l

Fun. When ya decode it back to binary or ASCII, what does it say?

melis62

quality posts: 0 Private Messages melis62
brizz wrote:just so we're clear beefcoat, I did not post that in hopes it would get yours rejected....i'm rooting for your dragon to over take grow! I just thought it was an interesting take on the same concept that I'd seen before but had trouble placing...and then saw it when I was perusing the designs of today's daily winner. that's all. I figured the fans of this one might also like that one.

If you're going to say that a design is 'basically already for sale' someplace else, you have to be ready for people to interpret that comment as a call for rejection of the design. And it's poor form to then call supporters of the design paranoid when they attempt to rebuff your comments.

In my opinion, the only things these two shirts have in common is that they both include a dragon and a knight. I have no idea what truly motivated you to post your comment, but I think calling these two shirts the same is way off base.

heartluce

quality posts: 10 Private Messages heartluce
Beefcoat wrote:No worries!!! Thanks for your support of the shirt Brizz, and KLS, thanks for standing up for the design. I think that you both are awesome! Thanks again for keeping me honest!

You've always seemed nothing but forthright beefcoat. I like your earlier dragon design as well and love this one. You already have my vote - with confidence.

Beefcoat

heartluce wrote:You've always seemed nothing but forthright beefcoat. I like your earlier dragon design as well and love this one. You already have my vote - with confidence.

Don't forget teddy Oh fer Cheesy!... I mean Oh fer cute (Click below to vote)