mjpupillo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mjpupillo
samwaltzjunk wrote:good work, but too close to two superimposed swastikas for my taste.

i see what you mean, but that certaintly wasn't my intention. i don't think most people would make that connection, but i understand where your coming from.

ugomona

quality posts: 4 Private Messages ugomona
2005vette wrote:Who's the Wicken?

It's usually called a Trinity knot, which symbolizes the Father, Son and Holy Spirit. Others view it as the three planes of existence-mind, body, spirit. It is also known as the Lover's or Eternity knot since it shows two continuous loops intertwined as if in marriage, two unbroken circles bound in eternity. It just depends on how you want to view it, I guess.

AnGeLiCbOrIs

quality posts: 0 Private Messages AnGeLiCbOrIs
sparklzk27 wrote:yea they do, i've had Pj since he was born, my other cat had kittens before we got her spayed. here's a pic of him sleeping with Beta (his mom). actually your cat looks a little like Beta

jimiyo

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jimiyo
sparklzk27 wrote:yea they do, i've had Pj since he was born, my other cat had kittens before we got her spayed. here's a pic of him sleeping with Beta (his mom). actually your cat looks a little like Beta

too cute

your baby looks like my baby,

especially that one next to the chinchilla photo... except with shorter hair.

mine still lives in the 90s. loves the wassssszzzzzzup commercials.

MHBoston

quality posts: 4 Private Messages MHBoston
jimiyo wrote:
http://www.jimiyo.com/buster1.jpg

I can see why you like ceiling cat. It's so much more...placid...than your cat.

| w ~ 41 | s.w ~ 44 | so.w ~ 7 | w.w ~ 28 | k.w ~ 1 |

lunartan

quality posts: 1 Private Messages lunartan
Re: grow

brizz wrote:Using something like Let It Grow as an inspiration is not suggestive of a desire to improve, but to figure out the easiest way to win.

The same thing could be said for recreating a flying penguin design... ironically MWM8180 was the designer of "Penguins Last Dream" that placed 5th in derby #27, which was the root of much controvesry in this derby...
Although James Cho's design received much praise & many initial votes for a 3-D rendering in this derby... it could be viewed as pandering to the voters for a quick win instead of showcasing James' artistic talent & original vision from what I've seen of his work.
Anyway, just countering an attack on a design(er) that the voters seem to like for whatever reason... maybe they like it due to that similarity... not really intending to open fresh wounds.

Overall, I'm a bit disappointed with the way the votes fly on this site. But that's the way it goes. I just don't vote for or buy them. But I rarely criticize designs in the fog that I don't like or in which I cannot see artistic merit according to my personal standards. I just praise the ones I like, that's just me though.
Personally, I'd like to see all vote totals hidden for all designs and the Hotness and Fog removed. To me, it's the only way to get unbiased votes and truly let the designs speak for themselves.

TAYLORT5

quality posts: 1 Private Messages TAYLORT5
Re: 3 Thousand 2 Hundred Fifty Five Lines, One Pucker!

I would prolly vote for this one.......after I pass you that is. Is that bad? great design.

You're on probation!

You've been put on posting probation for this post for this reason: Ok, I deleted it 3 times. Do you not get it? (24h) Personal attack/useless post.

Please stare at the scary cartoon dog for 20 hours and then try posting again.

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
lunartan wrote:The same thing could be said for recreating a flying penguin design... ironically MWM8180 was the designer of "Penguins Last Dream" that placed 5th in derby #27, which was the root of much controvesry in this derby...
Although James Cho's design received much praise & many initial votes for a 3-D rendering in this derby... it could be viewed as pandering to the voters for a quick win instead of showcasing James' artistic talent & original vision from what I've seen of his work.
Anyway, just countering an attack on a design(er) that the voters seem to like for whatever reason... maybe they like it due to that similarity... not really intending to open fresh wounds.

Overall, I'm a bit disappointed with the way the votes fly on this site. But that's the way it goes. I just don't vote for or buy them. But I rarely criticize designs in the fog that I don't like or in which I cannot see artistic merit according to my personal standards. I just praise the ones I like, that's just me though.
Personally, I'd like to see all vote totals hidden for all designs and the Hotness and Fog removed. To me, it's the only way to get unbiased votes and truly let the designs speak for themselves.

To me, the Cho situation is the reason something like Grow is so dangerous, lunar. It's not even arguable at this point that designers are consistently giving us work that is below them, because when they give us their quality, they get beaten by, well... you see the gap. If shirts like Grow continue to win, the designers will start taking the hint, and either leave, or give us their own Grows. That's why this shirt is such a slippery slope, and why many of us who truly like shirts dislike it.

redghia69

quality posts: 1 Private Messages redghia69
jdrage wrote:Schrödinger's cat?

Yep. And if it weren't for that cat messing around with the 6th dimension like that, we'd have a unified theory of everything by now, or so was the train of thought. It was a concept shirt up against some really great artwork this week, not ever destined for greatness, but in there for fun. Hope you liked it!

redghia69

quality posts: 1 Private Messages redghia69
Re: Modern Music

This is still one of my favorite designs of this derby. Sorry to see it lag behind. But I'll use the space to finally congratulate you on the 2-fer this past week. Congrats KLS -- I was never worried for the koi!

brizz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages brizz
FearTheGorgon wrote:I don't like this shirt very much, but if you want to find out about how low class people can be read this thread. I'm sorry I bothered.

Why is it that people who have a good sense of artistry and are artists themselves are all of a sudden "abusive" and "low class" when they are honestly critical of something? I just don't get it. I've not said much of anything about this one...but geekfactor, adder, and others are incredibly well versed in the art of shirt making (gf runs a blog that covers all tshirt sites) and as such their opinion is a valuable one. Her assessment that this particular design fails in it's attempt at evoking profundity with simplicity is just an honest opinion. nothing more, nothing less. Why does one negative comment generate so much hate here? why are people so sensitive to anything aside from "AWESOME! GMV!"

Frankly, it's almost like the derbies are part of the Truman Show, and anyone who doesn't smile and wave to every passerby is an evil classless interloper who must be removed lest he/she upset anyone. People have opinions, good and bad, and I see no reason why one should be banned from expression when it's done so reasonably. And every critique of this design has been fair and reasonable - whether you agree with it or not. The fact that anyone who expresses an opinion that so many of you don't agree with usually meets with various personal jabs and calls for censoring said opinions is really quite sad and a little frightening. Is the real world free of criticism? Have we gotten so soft that everyone has to like something or shut up? I certainly hope not....because it will be very sad, boring, and milquetoast world if we ever get there.

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
brizz wrote:Why is it that people who have a good sense of artistry and are artists themselves are all of a sudden "abusive" and "low class" when they are honestly critical of something? I just don't get it. I've not said much of anything about this one...but geekfactor, adder, and others are incredibly well versed in the art of shirt making (gf runs a blog that covers all tshirt sites) and as such their opinion is a valuable one. Her assessment that this particular design fails in it's attempt at evoking profundity with simplicity is just an honest opinion. nothing more, nothing less. Why does one negative comment generate so much hate here? why are people so sensitive to anything aside from "AWESOME! GMV!"

Frankly, it's almost like the derbies are part of the Truman Show, and anyone who doesn't smile and wave to every passerby is an evil classless interloper who must be removed lest he/she upset anyone. People have opinions, good and bad, and I see no reason why one should be banned from expression when it's done so reasonably. And every critique of this design has been fair and reasonable - whether you agree with it or not. The fact that anyone who expresses an opinion that so many of you don't agree with usually meets with various personal jabs and calls for censoring said opinions is really quite sad and a little frightening. Is the real world free of criticism? Have we gotten so soft that everyone has to like something or shut up? I certainly hope not....because it will be very sad, boring, and milquetoast world if we ever get there.

QFT except for the part about me being well versed in shirt design. I feel I have a good eye for others' work, but I have never implied I was well-versed in shirt design.

mehron

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mehron
Re: la calavera

Let's keep it up! :D

mehron

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mehron

I've exhausted all my scouts... but we're all in. I'm in for 2. Here's to hoping to see the fog.

gustavas007

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gustavas007
samwaltzjunk wrote:Fun. When ya decode it back to binary or ASCII, what does it say?

it was made in paint while looking at a barcode from a tuna fish can. =]

gustavas007

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gustavas007

so the barcode on a shirt isn't new, but I would say that this is more barcode inspired, not just a barcode.

brizz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages brizz
AdderXYU wrote:QFT except for the part about me being well versed in shirt design. I feel I have a good eye for others' work, but I have never implied I was well-versed in shirt design.

sorry adder. I do think you have a good eye for it though.

TAYLORT5

Re: Softly

I'm not sure what I see , is this bows ?

You're on probation!

You've been put on posting probation for this post for this reason: Ok, I deleted it 3 times. Do you not get it? (24h) Personal attack/useless post.

TAYLORT5

Re: The Turtle

I like turtle soup. does that count? good job.

You're on probation!

jimiyo

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jimiyo
brizz wrote:because it will be very sad, boring, and milquetoast world if we ever get there.

you use awesome words Brizz. ive had to look up several words reading your work

milquetoast apparently... is song by Helmet.

heheh..

does this post link back to some shirt design?
wel... i dont know what it links back too if it does... but regardless

i think, whatever shirt... is AWESOME!

burtonrider404

quality posts: 0 Private Messages burtonrider404
sigaru wrote:*giggles*. my boyfriend had this idea as a joke.

maybe.....I'M YOUR BOYFRIEND!!!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!

i'm not though....

fablefire

quality posts: 23 Private Messages fablefire
brizz wrote:Why is it that people who have a good sense of artistry and are artists themselves are all of a sudden "abusive" and "low class" when they are honestly critical of something? I just don't get it. I've not said much of anything about this one...but geekfactor, adder, and others are incredibly well versed in the art of shirt making (gf runs a blog that covers all tshirt sites) and as such their opinion is a valuable one. Her assessment that this particular design fails in it's attempt at evoking profundity with simplicity is just an honest opinion. nothing more, nothing less. Why does one negative comment generate so much hate here? why are people so sensitive to anything aside from "AWESOME! GMV!"

This makes me lawl, considering you just called me bitter for saying I wouldn't buy any of the derby shirts because they don't strike me as wearable designs.

...but yeah, I have no idea why people like to jump all over other people's cases for posting an honest opinion. ;)

I still don't see this as being any worse than a coupons, starbucks, or IT shirt.

dmkooosbc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dmkooosbc
Re: Chinese Dragon X 4

Nice design, but must consider placement for women. should be just a bit higher.

cyradis2003

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cyradis2003

I love this!

I recently bought Angry Day (missed it the first time around) and I am hoping hoping hoping it gets here before Friday which is the official "Annie wears deviant graphic tees to work day"

Iambusyeating

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Iambusyeating
Re: End of an Era

Dino likes the hotness! The tall trees have more luscious leaves here.

mjc613

quality posts: 48 Private Messages mjc613
Re: Larger cave Heckle

The drawing is good, but I have no idea what I am looking at.

JoeDeeDee

quality posts: 1 Private Messages JoeDeeDee
racheleigho wrote:Nice. Would you consider submitting one with 3 people in the hear no evil; see no evil; speak no evil poses?

Thanks. I might have earlier in the derby, but probably not at this point with so little time this week. Not a bad idea though!

jonomc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jonomc

thanks. i really would have liked to make it cleaner but it was already monday and i wanted to get something in. and i agree about the rope, again my laziness is to blame, how about this?

any criticism is much appreciated, i'm striving to learn and i know i could learn a lot from the talents i see on this site. thanks for the votes, my best showing ever. im very excited after not being able to submit for a couple of weeks now.
j

aevans07

quality posts: 0 Private Messages aevans07

I'm actually saving $10 on my card just for this. Keep voting, kids!

Re: Death on a Pale White UNICORN!

mjc613

jimiyo wrote:you use awesome words Brizz. ive had to look up several words reading your work

milquetoast apparently... is song by Helmet.

heheh..

does this post link back to some shirt design?
wel... i dont know what it links back too if it does... but regardless

i think, whatever shirt... is AWESOME!

Milquetoast may be a song, but before that is was part of an expression from the first half of the 20th century "Caspar Milquetoast". A Caspar Milquetoast was a guy with no backbone, who could easily be cowed. If you think of a piece of bread soaked in milk - he had that sort of soggy resolve.

Therefore a milquetoast world would be a rather bland place indeed.

More milquetoast info here: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/milquetoast

mjc613

samwaltzjunk wrote:good work, but too close to two superimposed swastikas for my taste.

Instead of swastikas, it reminded me of a footed triskelion, with extra legs:

dekonstruct

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dekonstruct
cyradis2003 wrote:I love this!

I recently bought Angry Day (missed it the first time around) and I am hoping hoping hoping it gets here before Friday which is the official "Annie wears deviant graphic tees to work day"

I'm going to declare that a national holiday if you don't mind ;)

mjc613

Andy47240 wrote:[quote postid="2003024" user="geekfactor12"]I think Adder is referring to Disinformation Shirts, which does indeed specialize in exactly this type of shirt.

quote]
Some of those are pretty funny.
-Andy

Found the inspiration for this entry

FearTheGorgon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages FearTheGorgon

Oh, Geekfactor runs a site about other tshirts sites? He must be a world expert on creating tshirts! His opinion is so valuable. How many shirts have you, adder, and all the others that are always dumping on shirts and being abusive to designers actually had printed that makes your opinion so valuable? Bro, I hate this design, I just like how much you think it's an offense to art and good taste. Thanks for policing the forums for us to protect us from this kind of stuff.

klswoot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages klswoot
Re: Ushering in Spring

Thanks for getting this one past the 100 mark. I appreciate it!

mjc613

Why can't we all just get along?

KS- Congrats!

klswoot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages klswoot
Re: Modern Music

Hey Red- Thanks for your comments on the modern music piece. Someone suggested that I consider entering this style in a future derby...maybe with the color added. I don't know if it is too much art for a tshirt. But, I may see what happens with the vote.

Thanks again!

carina83

quality posts: 0 Private Messages carina83
Re: [url=http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=10923]Pen

A little late in the game, but hopefully people will like it

Schrobblehead

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Schrobblehead
Re: Legendairy

I just can't get the detail to look clear on woot with this. The file looks perfectly clear on my monitor, set to 280 x 280 and 72dpi, I put it on woot and YUCK! Thankfully the comp looks clear.

Thanks for your votes.

I'm a Christmas Unicorn! In a uniform made of gold, with a billy-goat beard, and a sorcerer's shield, and mistletoe on my nose!

dekonstruct

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dekonstruct
Re: End of an Era

You can feel the immensity of the terror in the dinosaur's eyes. It is palpable.