mpturkey

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mpturkey

I ditto the wow! As an observer of these derbies, I amazed at some of the designs and wonder how you artists create these - computer first, paper first then computer? Are there special applications and "drawing" hardware that you use?

palmettogirl

quality posts: 2 Private Messages palmettogirl
Re: It's kind of like sonar...

I love this. It is creative and different and deserves more attention than it is getting. How in the world is this getting beat out by stupid shirts like "Let it Grow" and others? It is a shame.

frogboyjb

quality posts: 0 Private Messages frogboyjb
Re: Skulls Skulls Skulls!

this shirt is the only shirt that is anywhere near the fog that I would actually wear.
there are some very tight designs, but this is actually very cool. It is hard to believe that this is from the same person who also did the bambi shirt with all of the animals.
that design is very well done, but I am just not all that into animals shirts
This one gets my vote. and if it wins I will certainly buy it

frogboyjb

Re: Anatomy of a line

this is very cool, too bad that it is more than one color line art

Amach06

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Amach06
Re: Death on a Pale White UNICORN!

I cant belive that this shirt is not in the fog.... I actually think all three of jimyo shirts should be top three this week. there all very unique.

Well there is always next year....

hogosha

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hogosha

there is much potential here, i look forward to more entries

haxrox

quality posts: 10 Private Messages haxrox

When you post a negative view in a non-technical way, using phrases like "just bad", "simple minded" or subtle insults, you only appeal to people who already agree with you. If you really want to persuade someone that their vote is misplaced or their design is lacking, use objective terms, give examples of what is better, find the things you like.

A positive comment, even as simple as GMV!, encourages the creator beyond what a vote will do. You designers know the feeling.

So brizz, adder, bluchez, etc., if your goal is to affect change or educate, practice persuasion techniques. If your goal is to insult or flamebait, carry on. We have freedom of speech, but I can read from your posts that even you think detrimental expressions (like this shirt) should be censored.

greenbean26

quality posts: 0 Private Messages greenbean26
Re: straight lines curve

I know I am proving my nerdiness here, but does anyone remember the movie Krull? It looks like the thing he threw! Just for that, it gets my vote.

mjc613

quality posts: 47 Private Messages mjc613
Re: Anatomy of a line

The shirt shows some of the design outside the template. If you are wanting this design to start on the back and continue onto the front, woot can't do that.

Did you do it with different line thicknesses? As already stated,using different colors is against the rules for this week's derbies. You can rebmit, and get different "colors" of gray by using different line thicknesses.

mjc613

quality posts: 47 Private Messages mjc613
dekonstruct wrote:You can feel the immensity of the terror in the dinosaur's eyes. It is palpable.

Your monitor is obviously much better than mine. Did you buy it on woot?

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
Re: froggy

shows a gradient. you should get the gradient out of your 240x240 pixel image and resubmit, 'cause they've decided to reject everything submitted like this.

nboz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nboz

i used just lines they are just over lapping to make that color if i answered your question and i drew the shirt and what it should look like and i dont know what happened but the design just covers the bottom of the shirt and goes on the side a little bit

marcriedel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages marcriedel
Re: Knight On Navy

If this shirt doesn't win I'll be livid. The winning designs in the recent derbies have all been garbage imo.

Nice design!

yugidean

quality posts: 0 Private Messages yugidean
Re: Why Can't I Fly, Friend?

Okay, it could be that I'm an effing one that smells of Elderberries, but why is the other ostritch digging with a shovel? I'm completely confused by that. Love the shirt, though. GMV

Beano before, and there'll be no gas!

yugidean

quality posts: 0 Private Messages yugidean
Re: Dragonflies

Boooooooooooo to you not being in the fog. I love dragonflies, and there is such a severe shortage of great, unisex dragonfly shirts out there. I've managed to find one. And if this does not get made, then it'll stay at one, unfortunately. GMV. I'd vote twenty times if I could. :-(

Beano before, and there'll be no gas!

Josephus

Schrobblehead wrote:I just can't get the detail to look clear on woot with this. The file looks perfectly clear on my monitor, set to 280 x 280 and 72dpi, I put it on woot and YUCK! Thankfully the comp looks clear.

Thanks for your votes.

do 2 things, and this problem will go away.
1. submit it at exactly the pixel dimensions woot asks for- 240x240 and 600x600 for the shirt detail.
2. when you save, don't allow any compression at all.

Lots of people have been frustrated by this before you, and this works to prevent the issue you've run into.

Josephus

yugidean wrote:Okay, it could be that I'm an effing one that smells of Elderberries, but why is the other ostritch digging with a shovel? I'm completely confused by that. Love the shirt, though. GMV

I think the other ostrich is adding coal to stoke the fire to make more steam.

Schrobblehead

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Schrobblehead
Josephus wrote:do 2 things, and this problem will go away.
1. submit it at exactly the pixel dimensions woot asks for- 240x240 and 600x600 for the shirt detail.

Lots of people have been frustrated by this before you, and this works to prevent the issue you've run into.

Thanks, I knew you had posted this before, but I forgot where. I used zero compression and 280 x 280, so I was off by 40.

I'm a Christmas Unicorn! In a uniform made of gold, with a billy-goat beard, and a sorcerer's shield, and mistletoe on my nose!

jbedwar1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jbedwar1
nboz wrote:i used just lines they are just over lapping to make that color if i answered your question and i drew the shirt and what it should look like and i dont know what happened but the design just covers the bottom of the shirt and goes on the side a little bit

I think you are still misunderstanding the rules.
You clearly have more than one color on your design besides the shirt color. It is a very important rule for this particular derby (normally you are allowed 6 spot colors). They also have very specific rules about "print area". We hope to see you enter future derbies provided you follow the rules specific to that derby. Thanks for trying.

SkekTek

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek
SailorButterfly wrote:You're totally right! I like the shirt even more now!

I love that movie. Haven't seen it in years, though. Might have to pull out again soon...I think I have it on tape somewhere. ^-^

Wow, that's just... surreal! I never heard that song, but it's really catchy!

JadenKale

quality posts: 181 Private Messages JadenKale
AnGeLiCbOrIs wrote:Come on! How many flying sea monster entries are we going to see every week?!

Send this the way of the penguins, i say!

(i love it. wtg!)

ROFL nice play on a theme, No1! Very cute.

Iambusyeating

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Iambusyeating
Josephus wrote:do 2 things, and this problem will go away.

How do you make photoshop use zero compression? For me it gives me this quality slider.

Marsmom

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Marsmom

That would make a pretty tattoo.

Josephus

Iambusyeating wrote:How do you make photoshop use zero compression? For me it gives me this quality slider.

I use Corel Draw, so I don't have this kind of problem. My guess for photoshop is to use the highest quality it will let you use. The other thing you could try is to save as a png- I don't think pngs use lossy compression, but I'm not certain.

personally, I'd just save as a jpg at the highest quality setting it would let me.

shan24

quality posts: 3 Private Messages shan24
Iambusyeating wrote:How do you make photoshop use zero compression? For me it gives me this quality slider.

You should leave it at 100, that is zero or no compression.

sparklzk27

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sparklzk27
jimiyo wrote:too cute

your baby looks like my baby,

especially that one next to the chinchilla photo... except with shorter hair.

mine still lives in the 90s. loves the wassssszzzzzzup commercials.

that's funny! people may think i am crazy to take so many pics of my pets but it's really because i secretly hope to capture the next ceiling cat or invisible sandwich cat! then they could live forever through forums, email and maybe even t shirt designs

Andy47240

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Andy47240
Re: Electric Lines

I really love this, but keep forgetting to comment on it. Great Job!
-Andy

lunartan

quality posts: 1 Private Messages lunartan
AdderXYU wrote:To me, the Cho situation is the reason something like Grow is so dangerous, lunar. It's not even arguable at this point that designers are consistently giving us work that is below them, because when they give us their quality, they get beaten by, well... you see the gap. If shirts like Grow continue to win, the designers will start taking the hint, and either leave, or give us their own Grows. That's why this shirt is such a slippery slope, and why many of us who truly like shirts dislike it.

Point taken, Adder. Truth be told, most shirts I really like on this site never get to the fog, place 4th, or get pushed out by ones I would not buy (steampunk army, raptor on the plane, treacherous waters, El Prospector Cansado are all unfortunate casualties imao). And looks like some awesome (imho) Jimiyo & Cho designs might suffer the same fate again this week, which I am truly bummed out about... again.
I can understand an artist adjusting their submissions in an attempt to try and figure out or hedge their bets on the voting tendencies to get a printing and some $ for their effort & time, be it for better or worse. I am glad that quite a few artists do continue to try and push the envelop and do still spend a lot of time on their designs and there's still a lot of quality/talent on the site. I salute them, as I am not artistically gifted. Yes, it's a scary thought if some of my favs left ~ I shudder the thought... I don't know too many sites where I can score some art on an AA T for only $10 to my door.
I'm not a real fan of any of the fog shirts currently (sorry, creamaphobe), but when a shirt gets to the fog, there's obviously an appeal, and unfortunately, not much will change that, and it saves me some $...
Yes, people have a right to express their opinions about the designs, but most banal criticism just seems counter-productive & possibly ends up getting the shirt in question more attention and more votes as a result... And it does irk me a tad when one designer gets criticized for something when another gets praised, but do agree that history, personal taste and perceived talent can influence the comments.
Again, I'd be curious to see a derby with no votes displayed, no fog and no hotness and be totally surprised on Thurs when the winners are announced. But then again, what would we all do in the meantime?... waiting in the dark is excruciatingly boring ^.^

caburns

quality posts: 0 Private Messages caburns
dmkooosbc wrote:Nice design, but must consider placement for women. should be just a bit higher.

Thanks. Yeah, I thought of that , too...after the fact.

bluchez

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bluchez
haxrox wrote:When you post a negative view in a non-technical way, using phrases like "just bad", "simple minded" or subtle insults, you only appeal to people who already agree with you. If you really want to persuade someone that their vote is misplaced or their design is lacking, use objective terms, give examples of what is better, find the things you like.

A positive comment, even as simple as GMV!, encourages the creator beyond what a vote will do. You designers know the feeling.

So brizz, adder, bluchez, etc., if your goal is to affect change or educate, practice persuasion techniques. If your goal is to insult or flamebait, carry on. We have freedom of speech, but I can read from your posts that even you think detrimental expressions (like this shirt) should be censored.

Seriously, why do I get included there? I've made maybe 10 posts that haven't been 100% positive on woot (total). If you break it down by words, something like 0.0001% of the words I've posted have been negative, or held with them any negative connotations (unless, you consider the hours I spent writing stories for a few select entries as negative). I made one post about this particular shirt. (ONE) It was clear, to the point, and not hateful, IMO. I was working on a document for my business, and was looking through word's clip art, and was just thinking that grow reminded me of the artwork I was using to decorate my documents, not my chest. I'm not arguing that I haven't gone overboard before, but I just don't understand how I'm so readily lumped into the group that people love to hate. Maybe it's my spectacular artwork that people fear. LONG LIVE THE ****CUTE**** BUNNY!!!!!!!!

pstan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pstan
Re: Spring Rebirth

Cool drawing but my grandma doesn't shop on Woot.

pstan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pstan
Re: oh crud

I really hope this gets back in the fog. It is a great design. Nice work.

frogboyjb

Re: falling house

good job

Schrobblehead

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Schrobblehead
shan24 wrote:You should leave it at 100, that is zero or no compression.

I think in Photoshop the highest setting when saving is 12, which is what I left it at. I guess I will try something else in the future. I have also been told that reds have a harder time looking clear.

I'm a Christmas Unicorn! In a uniform made of gold, with a billy-goat beard, and a sorcerer's shield, and mistletoe on my nose!

shan24

Schrobblehead wrote:I think in Photoshop the highest setting when saving is 12, which is what I left it at. I guess I will try something else in the future. I have also been told that reds have a harder time looking clear.

Hmmm...when I save a jpg in Photoshop my Quality meter goes from 1 to 100.

shan24

Andy47240 wrote:I really love this, but keep forgetting to comment on it. Great Job!
-Andy

Thanks Andy

erinlein

quality posts: 0 Private Messages erinlein
lunartan wrote:Personally, I'd like to see all vote totals hidden for all designs and the Hotness and Fog removed. To me, it's the only way to get unbiased votes and truly let the designs speak for themselves.

I love that idea, what can we do to persuade woot to try it out?

I usually end up buying dailies because I feel like people choose whatever poc everyone else voted for. And once the designs are in the fog, its virtually impossible for anything else to have a chance.

And as I learned from my guilt after voting for the lemmings, you should vote on what you would *buy*, not just what you would wear in theorhetical alter-existence world with a wardrobe full of woot shirts. Love the complicated Cho style, for example, but who would REALLY buy the penguin shirt, the death shirt AND the birdie shirt?

erinlein

quality posts: 0 Private Messages erinlein
Re: String Theory

love it, gmv

andrewcyoung

quality posts: 0 Private Messages andrewcyoung
Re: Bambi Tells Me Things

i adore it

bluchez

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bluchez
jimiyo wrote:Wooord! I got mine today too!

I have to say, if I did it all over again, I would not have chosen heather gray. I meant for one of the grays to be shirt color, that way the ink coverage wouldnt be so much. This mother is ALOT of ink, which means on a really hot day, it wont be so breezy in the chest area. Thankfully, its a lightweight shirt, not a 6.1oz I dont think. More like 4.3 or similar. Im impressed at the ability for them to print the small details. Woot did a good job.

BTW, technical stuff... the outline/line art was 3px pencil.
End image was index with 3 total colors excluding shirt color. (essentially a gif)

Anyways. Thanks for posting the picture. Im too lazy to take one.

Well, for what it's worth, I don't think it feels as heavy as many other woot shirts I've got. I thought the grey ink that matched the heather worked well, oddly enough (I am not usually a fan of heather). No problem on the pics, I like helpin people understand what they are buyin.