Jemmacakes

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Jemmacakes
lunartan wrote:... I'd be curious to see a derby with no votes displayed, no fog and no hotness and be totally surprised on Thurs when the winners are announced. But then again, what would we all do in the meantime?... waiting in the dark is excruciatingly boring ^.^

What a great idea!

mehron

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mehron
lunartan wrote: I'd be curious to see a derby with no votes displayed, no fog and no hotness and be totally surprised on Thurs when the winners are announced. But then again, what would we all do in the meantime?... waiting in the dark is excruciatingly boring ^.^

I completely agree.

mehron

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mehron

Totally cute for like an October shillelagh.

KenSPT

quality posts: 0 Private Messages KenSPT
lunartan wrote:
Again, I'd be curious to see a derby with no votes displayed, no fog and no hotness and be totally surprised on Thurs when the winners are announced. But then again, what would we all do in the meantime?... waiting in the dark is excruciatingly boring ^.^

I disagree.

I really don't, but since everyone likes arguing in this thread, I figured I might as well join in.

GravityJMB

quality posts: 5 Private Messages GravityJMB
Re: la calavera

Vote for this awesome shirt!

haxrox

quality posts: 10 Private Messages haxrox
bluchez wrote:Seriously, why do I get included there? LONG LIVE THE ****CUTE**** BUNNY!!!!!!!!

I really like your entries, bluchez. I wasn't going on percentages, just experience, and I guess I've happened to see only those few critical posts of yours in the last derby. And I don't love to hate, I love to debate. To be honest, I kind of DO fear cute bunnies.

mjpupillo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mjpupillo
greenbean26 wrote:I know I am proving my nerdiness here, but does anyone remember the movie Krull? It looks like the thing he threw! Just for that, it gets my vote.

i see what you mean. nice call.

kihou

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kihou
Re: oh crud

Super cute! I really like the color. Good luck, I know I'm rooting for it!

haxrox

quality posts: 10 Private Messages haxrox
shan24 wrote:Hmmm...when I save a jpg in Photoshop my Quality meter goes from 1 to 100.

Another thing that might help is putting the thumbnail on part of the t-shirt background that has more colors. JPEG compression produces artifacts where regions of continuous color meet another color, so having a photo prevents the algorithm from "averaging" two adjacent colors since there are so many varied shades in the photo that it must represent. I'm not verbally gifted enough to word that better, but try saving your design on a solid background vs. a photo background and see what happens.

dekonstruct

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dekonstruct
Re: Just Keep Spinning

If this comes from behind to get fogged, brix will be dookie in the past tense.

rdcollns

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rdcollns
mjc613 wrote:I am fascinated by this. It is clearly not a drawing of the Sacred Family Church in Barcelona, Gaudi's most famous work, but it clearly is not a typical church. The pire reminds me of Russian domes, and the building seems more like a storefront. Was any of this found in his buildings? I wouldn't be surprised, but I would be curious to learn more.

This is actually a house. From what I know Gaudi was religious, and the cross has nothing to do with being a Church, it is just an ornament he placed on the house. There are actually two houses in Park Guell, and this is the more interesting of the two. I actually never considered it before, but I do wonder if he ever intended it to be a chapel for prayer.

rdcollns

superspryte wrote:Oooh, this is cool. I like it a lot.

But after I clicked on the thumbnail I noticed something. While you may have done it by scribbling, there are a couple fills in the windows. I don't think this will survive because of that. >_<; Please resub!

I'd love to resubmit it, but I don't have the time. I think this still matches the spririt of the contest, so hopefully the small areas of fill will be seen as really wide lines instead!

jamesmjs

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jamesmjs
Josephus wrote:I think the other ostrich is adding coal to stoke the fire to make more steam.

That makes more sense to me than what I was thinking: Salt on the tail feathers. Isn't that an old wive's tail/cartoon cliche?

piccnikk

quality posts: 0 Private Messages piccnikk
jbedwar1 wrote:Ok i've read through MOST of these comments for this shirt. And i must say .... you are all getting so worked up over what to me looks like a VERY simple solution.
Here's what you do.... please read this carefully, as i don't want you to get confused:

If you like the design.... vote for it. If you don't like it.... Don't vote for it.

Or go back to bashing each other .. i don't really care. I'll go back to my corner and continue to not enter the derby in peace.

I agree. Do people think that when I read their comments bashing a design I am going to see the light and go unclick my vote box? These forums seem to be all about ranting, and it makes me have less fun with the derbies.

Obviously people like it. It's in the fog. Complaining won't change their minds.

mrheathen

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mrheathen

Each shirt I buy reduces the number of future shirts I can buy. I would limit my future shirts for this one. Good show.

Don't poke the bear.

rdcollns

ugomona wrote:It's usually called a Trinity knot, which symbolizes the Father, Son and Holy Spirit. Others view it as the three planes of existence-mind, body, spirit. It is also known as the Lover's or Eternity knot since it shows two continuous loops intertwined as if in marriage, two unbroken circles bound in eternity. It just depends on how you want to view it, I guess.

The Celtic name for this is triqueta. Wiccans do tend to borrow a lot from the Celts since the Celts are one of the most interesting pagan cultures. The Trinity knot tends to not have the circle, but I chose this version for my wedding ring since I wanted the circle to symbolize eternal love with the circle intertwined with the Trinity to illustrate that love cannot be independant from God. I love Celtic braids though because they aren't strictly religious, and I think they have a great universal appeal.

jimiyo

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jimiyo
pstan wrote:Cool drawing but my grandma doesn't shop on Woot.

*giggles*... pstan... you get points for humor, but you must be a minion.

whats the difference in Cho's design and the Oh Crud shirts as far as the market it would appeal too... ? wouldnt grandmaw think birds are cute, just as a baby dragon is cute?

space your comments so your motives arent so obvious.

SailorButterfly

quality posts: 14 Private Messages SailorButterfly
jamesmjs wrote:That makes more sense to me than what I was thinking: Salt on the tail feathers. Isn't that an old wive's tail/cartoon cliche?

It is. My husband's grandparents fooled him with it when he was young. You tell a kid that if he can catch a bird if he puts salt on its tail and then watch while he chases birds with a salt shaker in hand.

;-)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The "Most Awesome Butterfly-Sailor Hybrid on Woot"

SailorButterfly

You could buy it for her as a gift.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

phreekonature

quality posts: 0 Private Messages phreekonature

Wow! Love it!

bluchez

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bluchez
haxrox wrote:I really like your entries, bluchez. I wasn't going on percentages, just experience, and I guess I've happened to see only those few critical posts of yours in the last derby. And I don't love to hate, I love to debate. To be honest, I kind of DO fear cute bunnies.

To make it honest, let's point out that my "critical posts" in the last derby were about woot and woot software, and not about an artist or design. I somehow got lumped in with the vocal hating crowd in that one, as well.

carpenter940

quality posts: 0 Private Messages carpenter940
dmkooosbc wrote:But why the bag of money?

Because I misspelled "money" when submitting... ooops Unless you're asking why I had a bag of money in the first place, then I'd have to say in the Etch-a-sketch world money is very important too, it buys tiny etch-a-sketch pads for their enjoyment, they live a very boring life.

Then again, if we could make Monets with a etch-a-sketch, I think there would be a lot more artists out there considering the cost of canvas and paint we'd only have to shake to hide our mistakes. "Shake-A-Mistake" would be a good name for it, that's what I'll call it.

Amach06

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Amach06
Re: Hearing evil since the phongraph

Sic shirt.

Well there is always next year....

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
palmettogirl wrote:I love this. It is creative and different and deserves more attention than it is getting. How in the world is this getting beat out by stupid shirts like "Let it Grow" and others? It is a shame.

Palmetto, no one will ever be sure. All we know for certain is that if you continue to have vocal opinions about quality control, people will consider every word you say to be petty and meaningless. The only thing people hate more than legit criticism is the implication that they know nothing about something.

SailorButterfly

Re: falling house

I'm sure you didn't mean to submit this twice. Might want to drop this one so the votes don't get split between the 2. ^^

jonomc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jonomc
Re: Stairway to......

i love the graphic, well done. as you can see i have had a similar idea rolling around in my head for a while and was glad to see a derby that fit. i love the staircase, nice touch. and the way you portrayed the foliage is classy, reminds me of an old tapestry.

AdderXYU

Make her a throw-pillow out of it. Selfish grandson.

AdderXYU

lunartan wrote:Point taken, Adder. Truth be told, most shirts I really like on this site never get to the fog, place 4th, or get pushed out by ones I would not buy (steampunk army, raptor on the plane, treacherous waters, El Prospector Cansado are all unfortunate casualties imao). And looks like some awesome (imho) Jimiyo & Cho designs might suffer the same fate again this week, which I am truly bummed out about... again.
I can understand an artist adjusting their submissions in an attempt to try and figure out or hedge their bets on the voting tendencies to get a printing and some $ for their effort & time, be it for better or worse. I am glad that quite a few artists do continue to try and push the envelop and do still spend a lot of time on their designs and there's still a lot of quality/talent on the site. I salute them, as I am not artistically gifted. Yes, it's a scary thought if some of my favs left ~ I shudder the thought... I don't know too many sites where I can score some art on an AA T for only $10 to my door.
I'm not a real fan of any of the fog shirts currently (sorry, creamaphobe), but when a shirt gets to the fog, there's obviously an appeal, and unfortunately, not much will change that, and it saves me some $...
Yes, people have a right to express their opinions about the designs, but most banal criticism just seems counter-productive & possibly ends up getting the shirt in question more attention and more votes as a result... And it does irk me a tad when one designer gets criticized for something when another gets praised, but do agree that history, personal taste and perceived talent can influence the comments.
Again, I'd be curious to see a derby with no votes displayed, no fog and no hotness and be totally surprised on Thurs when the winners are announced. But then again, what would we all do in the meantime?... waiting in the dark is excruciatingly boring ^.^

I think, myself, that Woot needs to play with their voting scheme some other way. I'd love a bigger hotness... you can see proof every week... the hotness and fog self-perpetuate. There will always be the one new shirt that makes the hotness, then slows to a crawl immediately upon dropping out, and as anyone can witness, at least half the hotness spots at any given time are already in the fog, meaning the fog breeds hotness.

It's not like every week doesn't bring these same discussions, mainly because every week brings these same issues. I don't think a silent vote count will help, but a larger fog will. A hotness that doesn't include foggers, or else lists entries at random, will. Even making the default entry view a random sort would help... people would click on the derby and automatically see four big thumbnails from anywhere in the derby, as opposed to the four newest. Sure, most would switch views from there, but that could be all it takes to catch the eye of some voters. And if that random eye-catch is enough to boost that entry into the hotness, where it would have been ignored otherwise, we'll only see better shirts for it.

BPalaian

quality posts: 0 Private Messages BPalaian
GravityJMB wrote:Vote for this awesome shirt!

its amazing!!!! everythingis perfect i am in 4 three!!!!

WOOTER SINCE 07

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1

AdderXYU

erinlein wrote:I love that idea, what can we do to persuade woot to try it out?

I usually end up buying dailies because I feel like people choose whatever poc everyone else voted for. And once the designs are in the fog, its virtually impossible for anything else to have a chance.

And as I learned from my guilt after voting for the lemmings, you should vote on what you would *buy*, not just what you would wear in theorhetical alter-existence world with a wardrobe full of woot shirts. Love the complicated Cho style, for example, but who would REALLY buy the penguin shirt, the death shirt AND the birdie shirt?

I'm sure some people would, especially wooters who have been clamoring for something wearable after the quickly reckoned "dreams", the difficult (and ultimately mediocrity-ruled) "Trompe L'Oeil", and the completely frivolous "Leap Year". I haven't found a shirt i really cared about in a month, so the idea of buying the ostriches and the death shirt is incredibly appealing. As for the birdie, I want it to place too, despite my not wearing it, because it's simply that well done. I always root for very good designs, whether I vote for them or not. That's what improves the derbies... when people take a chance, put in effort, and are rewarded for it with votes. You're right, of course... most people wouldn't buy all three... but in a world where "designer" shirts cost 30 for one, it's not unthinkable to drop 30 on three.

I also, btw, am a much bigger fan of the dailies. I love the surprise of never knowing what's next, and I love how, since woot picks them, creative and well done designs actually get through (which is not to say woot doesn't also pick some doozies).

SkekTek

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek
Andy47240 wrote:I love skulls, but I think this should be big and centered. Just my Opinion.
-Andy

I tried to embiggen it. And it didn't look as good. I'd have to add a lot of extra detail to make it serviceable... I think it's a nice little drooling monogram-type thing. I did like that people didn't know what the lower thing was (melting ice on tongue, etc). It is supposed to be a drooling lower jaw, but I think I like the tongue idea beter if it gets redone.

aaa6112

quality posts: 0 Private Messages aaa6112
Re: String Theory

a cat on a math shirt!!...love it...brilliantly done!

littlejetties

quality posts: 0 Private Messages littlejetties

Why can't Death be in the fog, friend?

palmettogirl

quality posts: 2 Private Messages palmettogirl
naterobnana wrote:Cream is a color that gives a "death warmed over" look to people with certain complexions. I love the design, however.

Exactly. No matter how great the design is, if I look like washed out and dead when I wear it, I ain't buying. I know that there are many people out there who don't have a problem with cream, so I don't usually complain. With that being said, I don't understand people who hate on my fellow cream-haters. The whole point of buying a shirt is to wear it and no one wants to look terrible in something that they have spent money on. Furthermore, I think that designers should take this fact into consideration when choosing their colors.

Patchitect

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Patchitect
Re: [url=http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=10928]Pirate Nessie says,

Looks like Dino From the Flintstones

Patchitect

Re: Banana

I thought that shirt color was "Lemon"...

can you put it on a Creme Shirt? i like banana Creme....

Patchitect

Re: Not a Pussycat

Can woot print this on the back, and the front of the tiger on the front of the shirt?

PLEASE?

I'd rather not have kitty butt on my chest....

jamescho84

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jamescho84
palmettogirl wrote:Exactly. No matter how great the design is, if I look like washed out and dead when I wear it, I ain't buying. I know that there are many people out there who don't have a problem with cream, so I don't usually complain. With that being said, I don't understand people who hate on my fellow cream-haters. The whole point of buying a shirt is to wear it and no one wants to look terrible in something that they have spent money on. Furthermore, I think that designers should take this fact into consideration when choosing their colors.

Hello there, I respect your opinion. I think the designers do take it under consideration. The pale yellow was my favorite color, but I dropped that entirely because there's so much disgust for it over here. I think however, people need to understand that sometimes, designs belong more on certain colors than others. For me, the more complex a design, the harder it is to pull off on vibrant colors - and vice versa. I guess sometimes it's about compromise, what the voters want vs. what you want, I only try to find a balance between those two.

bluchez

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bluchez
palmettogirl wrote:Furthermore, I think that designers should take this fact into consideration when choosing their colors.

The problem with this, is that there are people who hate EVERY color, so it's a lose-lose situation.