bryozoan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bryozoan
Re: grow

Wow. I just stumbled upon the comments page for JadenKale's "Swim, Little Nessie" from last contest. I didn't realize just how much assault a cute, simple, and/or not highly complex design would get on these forums! I was just poking aorund previous winners out of boredom/curiosity.

Anyway, wanted to make two comments based on that new viewpoint:
1) JadenKale: You epitomize grace under fire.
2) I now see that the woot forum community and the woot voting community are two very different things.

On that note, I think I will, in the future, leave my comments all positive and/or polite, as it adds more to shirt.woot derbies to encourage artists and not tear down this place as an artistic haven.

Pardon the short observations, just thought it had merit given the echo in the recently debated topics within the comments of this entry and the earlier simple (and darn cute) entry from last contest.

klawrence

quality posts: 1 Private Messages klawrence
Re: Death on a Pale White UNICORN!

Freakin' sweet.
It's death... he's coming to get you... on a unicorn!
I love it.

pstan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pstan
jimiyo wrote:*giggles*... pstan... you get points for humor, but you must be a minion.

whats the difference in Cho's design and the Oh Crud shirts as far as the market it would appeal too... ? wouldnt grandmaw think birds are cute, just as a baby dragon is cute?

space your comments so your motives arent so obvious.

I am a loyal servant?

I guess I don't see why you think my comments are connected.

klawrence

quality posts: 1 Private Messages klawrence
Re: Space Bunneh!

There's something about space rabbits without arms & with antennae that make me swoon.
=P
gmv

artulo

quality posts: 13 Private Messages artulo
Re: it's all pancakes

Yeah, that's right. Pancakes. You know it, I know it. Nothing else needs to be said about it, because we can all wear shirts about it.

hunterkiller25

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hunterkiller25
Re: grow

Some of you have a lot to learn about design, flow, and RE-wearability. Designing something simple, well placed, pleasing to the eye, and not incredibly abstract increases the compatibility of this shirt with other clothes.

Yes some of the other designs in this derby are incredible and the designers are worthy of a lot of praise, but taking a good idea and continuously breaking it down further and further into its most simple components and executing that idea properly is by no means an easy task either. The design of this shirt is simple enough to be understood and APPRECIATED by almost anyone (who isn't pissed off about derbies) and attracts the eye.

Good job, I'll be buying one if it wins.

mychaelwithay

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mychaelwithay

this one can get first place for all i care, just as long as the unicorn shirt gets printed...

SailorButterfly

quality posts: 14 Private Messages SailorButterfly

Aww...I was already hungry...now I'm doubly so.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The "Most Awesome Butterfly-Sailor Hybrid on Woot"

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
hunterkiller25 wrote:Some of you have a lot to learn about design, flow, and RE-wearability. Designing something simple, well placed, pleasing to the eye, and not incredibly abstract increases the compatibility of this shirt with other clothes.

Yes some of the other designs in this derby are incredible and the designers are worthy of a lot of praise, but taking a good idea and continuously breaking it down further and further into its most simple components and executing that idea properly is by no means an easy task either. The design of this shirt is simple enough to be understood and APPRECIATED by almost anyone (who isn't pissed off about derbies) and attracts the eye.

Good job, I'll be buying one if it wins.

What is the "good idea" being broken into its "most simple components"? Seriously. I just see a leaf surrounded by curvature that was clearly added on at the last second to add space to the design. I say clearly because a designer who took as much time as many of you insist grow took would have either shortened the design so it didn't span nipple to nipple, or expanded it so it passed both.

I feel I've been very clear about what makes this design weak, but that its defenders can tell me nothing about the design itself, just that they like simple things and they like this. I really don't think the average person would understand this shirt. They wouldn't look twice at it. It blends in and while the color contrast might attract the eye, the design is forgettable. It's too safe, too simple, and looks too much like a commissioned icon for a healthcare service or life insurance or education aid. It doesn't look or feel inspired.

erinlein

quality posts: 0 Private Messages erinlein
Re: Stand Back! I Know First Aid!

that's so rockin

Lighter

quality posts: 10 Private Messages Lighter
jamescho84 wrote:Hello there, I respect your opinion. I think the designers do take it under consideration.

On the other side of the coin, there are those of us who look great in yellow, orange, cream - "hated" colors. I've stopped buying charcoal no matter how great the design because I have too much dull gray in my shirt drawer.

darthv8r

quality posts: 0 Private Messages darthv8r
artulo wrote:Yeah, that's right. Pancakes. You know it, I know it. Nothing else needs to be said about it, because we can all wear shirts about it.

You are incorrect in that statement sir/madam! You need to say alot about pancakes! They have even made a house for them! golden deliciousness! Now go a scream from the roof tops the wonderful story of pancakes!

SailorButterfly

quality posts: 14 Private Messages SailorButterfly
mychaelwithay wrote:this one can get first place for all i care, just as long as the unicorn shirt gets printed...

I'm with you. I don't actually have anything against this design and it looks like something one of my friends would wear, now that I think about it. Hmm...if it does place, I'll have tell her (she's on woot too but doesn't check the derby).

But...I really, really, really, really want the unicorn shirt, so someone in the fog is going to have to lose in order for me to get it! l o l

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The "Most Awesome Butterfly-Sailor Hybrid on Woot"

darthv8r

no1 wrote:Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...!

Yar! Shiver me timbers loch beard has arisen from Davy Jones' Locker.

darthv8r

Re: Legendairy

Yes!

darthv8r

Re: Vampire Cactus

Nice!

darthv8r

Re: Professor Von Platypus

professor von platypus paddled posthaste in pursuit of proper pantaloons! Great work GF!

erinetheridge

quality posts: 0 Private Messages erinetheridge
Re: Buddha Variation 5

Love it!!!!! I want one!

Erin Etheridge-Bagley

cleverconveyence

quality posts: 1 Private Messages cleverconveyence
Re: Death on a Pale White UNICORN!

I'm thoroughly disgusted that this isn't even in the fog.

VOTE, people!

Number of shirt.woots in 08: 23 (not counting randoms and shirts bought for friends)
number of shirt.woots in 09: 2 (same criteria)

tiaerman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tiaerman
eyeslikesugar wrote:If you sell over 500 shirts, you actually win $500 ;)

Anything under is $200, and i don't think ANY derby winner has sold under 200; not sure tho.

superspryte wrote:What about $250 for a winner or $500 if it sells over 500 (the info page needs to be updated)? So far every derby winner has sold over 500 shirts so it's practically a guaranteed $500.

EDIT - Looks like els got there before me, hee hee.

Wow that is cool! So does any artist who has their shirt printed get paid like this? Or is it only for the 1rst place finish?

There are 10 types of people: those who know binary, and those who don't.

crazychinaman

quality posts: 3 Private Messages crazychinaman
Re: The Thunderbolt

AHHHHH!!!! Spryte! I didn't know you were a wooter! It's a great drawing. I voted for it. I've always wanted to make a derby shirt...too bad i suck at art in all its forms =P

- Wooted -

• Book of Crap 11/4/05
  • Book of Crap 12/25/05
  • Pioneer 1000 Watt 5.1 Surround Sound System
  • Adaptec GameBridge 1440
  • Razer Pro|Tone m100
  • Mio C720T
  • High Peak Sleeping Bagx2
  • Energizer Hardcase Tactical Flashlight
  • Philips Prestigo Remote
  • Screaming Glow-in-the-Dark Monkey with Woot Cape

zuniteton

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zuniteton
artulo wrote:Thanks for your vote, I'd like to see it place as well

me too!

ruesifus

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ruesifus
Re: Spring Rebirth

Do I need to change my name to Cho to get a shirt printed?!
http://www.glarkware.com/productcart/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=13
Just kidding, but take a look this guy ain't bad either!

Coollikethat

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Coollikethat
Re: 0.5 past lightspeed

Thank You all for your votes.
I'm actually writing Koma Risto's series right now,
It shouldn't come out for a while though...
-CLT

"Good Luck...You're gonna need it."
-CLT

pattis

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pattis
Re: Beached

Totally gross... who would want this on their shirt... unless you're into those type yah know.

MFdobbs

quality posts: 0 Private Messages MFdobbs

I totally dig this.

One after-thought, though: Might have been cool to have some representation of the SL-1200 speed dot thingies in the lower left corner of the rec, i.e.:

Re: Just Keep Spinning

TAYLORT5

quality posts: 1 Private Messages TAYLORT5
klswoot wrote:Nicely done. I love single line drawings. Makes me think of some of Picasso's sketches.

or john lennon..

You're on probation!

You've been put on posting probation for this post for this reason: Ok, I deleted it 3 times. Do you not get it? (24h) Personal attack/useless post.

Please stare at the scary cartoon dog for 20 hours and then try posting again.

mjc613

quality posts: 48 Private Messages mjc613
Re: [url=http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=10928]Pirate Nessie says,

YAY!!!! Another chance for a Nessie shirt!

mjc613

quality posts: 48 Private Messages mjc613

I am very impressed. Tell me tho' - are these flour, buckwheat, corn or gingerbread? Are they topped with margarine, butter or marscapone?
What syrup will you serve with it? As was said earlier, pancakes need words.

goldenmomiji

quality posts: 0 Private Messages goldenmomiji
Re: Hypnotic Box

I think it's cool. I agree on the close up on the lines though. It would good to see it closer.

Please vote on my design!

goldenmomiji

zekecatz wrote:I love this. The colors, placement, subject are all perfect. It's nice to see something different. I wish you luck and look forward to seeing more of your work.

Thank You for the compliment. I hope not to disappoint!

goldenmomiji

frogboyjb wrote:good job

I agree. Really Cute. Only one thing to think about. Would this look better with different colors? I think the design may get a little lost with these colors.

thewarrior

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thewarrior
BPalaian wrote:its amazing!!!! everythingis perfect i am in 4 three!!!!

very cool, i like all the detail and of course that its a skull! ...check out myskullshirt.com, its like shirt.woot but with skulls and they also have design contests for cash, its new so not a ton of people have joined

goldenmomiji

hogosha wrote:there is much potential here, i look forward to more entries

I agree. This looks awesome. What did you use to make it?

thewarrior

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thewarrior
Re: Day of the Shirt

the trouble is that if some one sees one sugar skull they all they think they are all the same....i like it alot you have some great talent ....check out myskullshirt.com, its like shirt.woot but with skulls and they also have design contests for cash, its new so not a ton of people have joined

goldenmomiji

I like the design with the shorter rope. Looks real nice. Very clean and not shaky. Also the way the ground is done is really cool. I am impressed. I look forward to seeing more.

If you get a chance can you look at my design and see if you have any suggestions for me. I would appreciate it.

goldenmomiji

pattis wrote:Totally gross... who would want this on their shirt... unless you're into those type yah know.

I disagree. I think it is meant to be funny and I could see this shirt for sale. Really I don't think I could wear it but it is well done. Good Job.

goldenmomiji

This is a cool design. It would have been nice if you could have made your 600 by 600 pic have a closer up version of the design. Either way GMV

jamescho84

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jamescho84
ruesifus wrote:Do I need to change my name to Cho to get a shirt printed?!
http://www.glarkware.com/productcart/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=13
Just kidding, but take a look this guy ain't bad either!

That's awesome, thanks for the link. There's Frank Cho too, though I think he only does comics.

soulfood1966

quality posts: 0 Private Messages soulfood1966

This is a tribute design to Larry Norman. Larry was a pioneer in the Jesus Movement of the 60's and 70's. He died this week and I just wanted to give a shout out to originator of the ONEWAY sign and Christian Rock.

Re: Larry Norman Tribute