klswoot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages klswoot

Hey GeekFactor- Did you see that Amarillo's Made of Steel got printed at DBH? Not sure that I'm loving the layout on the ladie's cut of the shirt though. Seems like the woman's face is too big. But, I think it looks great on the men's cut of the shirt.

Just thought it was funny that it printed so soon after talking about it last derby.

superspryte

quality posts: 21 Private Messages superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

no1 wrote:Some of us are happy to hit 10 votes.

Heh, sorry. >_<;

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | tg.w: 0 | sp.w: 0 | a.w: 0 | k.w: 0 | s.w: 15 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
m4dcow wrote:I figured something along those lines. I'm from the islands, and we just have police... and then maybe the drug squad, so these differences are foreign to me :p

If by "the islands" you mean Hawaii, wikipedia thinks that Hawaii does have a Sheriff's Office.

m4dcow

quality posts: 0 Private Messages m4dcow
no1 wrote:If by "the islands" you mean Hawaii, wikipedia thinks that Hawaii does have a Sheriff's Office.

No, Caribbean Islands, St.Lucia to be exact.

klswoot

m4dcow wrote:No, Caribbean Islands, St.Lucia to be exact.

Sounds like paradise!

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

Is it really only Tuesday? Are we ready for a new theme yet? This derby has had 457 entries (Line Art had 303, water had 244). Personally I'm ready for something fresh.

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | tg.w: 0 | sp.w: 0 | a.w: 0 | k.w: 0 | s.w: 15 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

no1

superspryte wrote:Is it really only Tuesday? Are we ready for a new theme yet? This derby has had 457 entries (Line Art had 303, water had 244). Personally I'm ready for something fresh.

Next theme: "Something Fresh."

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

no1 wrote:Next theme: "Something Fresh."

That would be hard.

lunartan

quality posts: 1 Private Messages lunartan

I think one of the more important things learned from this derby is not to include quotation marks in titles, pretty sure that's what broke all of the images in the design response threads...

It wasn't too difficult to recreate the tag to get the image of the design in question to display, but I think it took away from promoting designs in the general discussion thread vs. the specific entry's

jimiyo

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jimiyo
lunartan wrote:I think one of the more important things learned from this derby is not to include quotation marks in titles, pretty sure that's what broke all of the images in the design response threads...

It wasn't too difficult to recreate the tag to get the image of the design in question to display, but I think it took away from promoting designs in the general discussion thread vs. the specific entry's

i was wondering what was up with that... never attempted to fix those myself, too much trouble....

geekfactor12

quality posts: 11 Private Messages geekfactor12
klswoot wrote:Hey GeekFactor- Did you see that Amarillo's Made of Steel got printed at DBH? Not sure that I'm loving the layout on the ladie's cut of the shirt though. Seems like the woman's face is too big. But, I think it looks great on the men's cut of the shirt.

Just thought it was funny that it printed so soon after talking about it last derby.

Yeah, I was pretty excited to see that it got printed! Definitely some amazing illustration work, that guy is so genius.

That said, I'm not really the type of person who can pull off wearing such a huge print (anything that swallows the sleeves- unless it's in very subtle colors- is pretty much a no-go for me). That's one strength Woot has for me- I don't need to worry that the cool art is going to be blown up to billboard size (though I do wish Woot had some of the specialty inks DBH uses).

JadenKale

quality posts: 181 Private Messages JadenKale
CreationsFromChaos wrote:Thanks, JadenKale! Didn't know that forum existed!

Appreciate the assist.

No problem Chaos

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

lunartan wrote:I think one of the more important things learned from this derby is not to include quotation marks in titles, pretty sure that's what broke all of the images in the design response threads...

Yes, that's why.

ruesifus

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ruesifus
m4dcow wrote:I figured something along those lines. I'm from the islands, and we just have police... and then maybe the drug squad, so these differences are foreign to me :p

And you can be a deputy police officer or a deputy sherif. So the deputy could wear a blue or brown shirt, but the sherif would almost always wear a brown shirt. At least in California.

fablefire

quality posts: 22 Private Messages fablefire
m4dcow wrote:No, Caribbean Islands, St.Lucia to be exact.

Mmm... I went there. It was lovely.

TAYLORT5

quality posts: 1 Private Messages TAYLORT5

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7yWazWT-3o yes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CioCTFjvpo&feature=related or shaw blades?

You're on probation!

You've been put on posting probation for this post for this reason: Ok, I deleted it 3 times. Do you not get it? (24h) Personal attack/useless post.

Please stare at the scary cartoon dog for 20 hours and then try posting again.

fablefire

Late entry, I know:

Inspired by: www.fablefire.com/ninjamonkey.mp3

no1

fablefire wrote:Late entry, I know:

text?

fablefire

no1 wrote:text?

...but it had to include ALL of the lyrics!!111!!11one... :<

klswoot

hahahaha! I would TOTALLY buy this!!!! The peg-legged, hooked cupcake is a great addition! You are too much!!!

klswoot

jimiyo wrote:i was wondering what was up with that... never attempted to fix those myself, too much trouble....

Yes. It was the quotes. I noticed that right after I listed my entry. So, I re-entered it and the 100x100 photo showed up fine. So, for some reason, the quotes interfered with the coding of the small image.

Definitely something to keep in mind next time.

AttilaTheMom

quality posts: 5 Private Messages AttilaTheMom

hahahaha this is funny.

AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH........ whatever.

yeeter

quality posts: 1 Private Messages yeeter
no1 wrote:Some of us are happy to hit 10 votes.

Agreed. The sub 200 rank doesn't bother me a bit <twitch>.

VOTE!

cheesesandwich

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cheesesandwich
klswoot wrote:Yes. It was the quotes. I noticed that right after I listed my entry. So, I re-entered it and the 100x100 photo showed up fine. So, for some reason, the quotes interfered with the coding of the small image.

Definitely something to keep in mind next time.

So, I take it that posting is kept to a minimum in the forum these days?

You take a few weeks off and everything changes...

JadenKale

cheesesandwich wrote:So, I take it that posting is kept to a minimum in the forum these days?

You take a few weeks off and everything changes...

This week has been rare. Last week we were all over with the chat. This week... we just mellowed out a bit.

fablefire

klswoot wrote:hahahaha! I would TOTALLY buy this!!!! The peg-legged, hooked cupcake is a great addition! You are too much!!!

Thanks! XD

The cupcake might be making a future cameo appearance. Kind of fond of him now. <3

yeeter

Dang! I just thought to myself. I should've done "Punk Rock Girl!" Dang! Triple Dang!

VOTE!

yeeter

Nevermind. Here is my quickie:

Punk Rock Girl by The Dead Milkmen:

VOTE!

JadenKale

Yikes Yeeter! She looks like she could beat my butt!

SkekTek

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek

I wish there were more selections from RnB in the derby:

Express Yourself- Charles Wright
Something by Joss Stone
Something by Stevie Wonder (I Wish especially).

And I'm surprised no-one did anything from Guster. Have they fallen so far so fast off the consciousness of us all?

no1

SkekTek wrote:I wish there were more selections from RnB in the derby:

Something by Joss Stone

And I'm surprised no-one did anything from Guster. Have they fallen so far so fast off the consciousness of us all?

Funny thing about the Derby... you could change what's available by doing it yourself!

mjc613

quality posts: 47 Private Messages mjc613

Is clipart allowed in this derby? Every derby has to abide by the "No stealing intellectual property" rule, but where does clip art fit into that? How can you know if the clip art was purchased, if royalties are required, etc?

I want to be on firm footing before I tread on that snake.

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
mjc613 wrote:Is clipart allowed in this derby? Every derby has to abide by the "No stealing intellectual property" rule, but where does clip art fit into that? How can you know if the clip art was purchased, if royalties are required, etc?

I want to be on firm footing before I tread on that snake.

Rob Glenn enters every week and rarely gets rejected. He consistently uses stock images and free clip-art. He's not the only person who does it, but he's the most egregious and least creative user. So yes, clip art is allowed if you have bought it or it is freeware/public domain. It should be looked down upon, and among many of us (Faith and Begorrah ELITISTS) it's pretty loathsome... if you're going to bother entering, bother entering your own work... but thusfar woot's pretty lax about it. Even the top selling shirt this week, a daily no less, was cobbled from clip-art. They should care, but they certainly don't enforce it if they do.

Myztri

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Myztri
SkekTek wrote:I wish there were more selections from RnB in the derby:

Something by Joss Stone

I couldnt figure out how to do FaFa

mjc613

quality posts: 47 Private Messages mjc613
AdderXYU wrote:Rob Glenn enters every week and rarely gets rejected. He consistently uses stock images and free clip-art. He's not the only person who does it, but he's the most egregious and least creative user. So yes, clip art is allowed if you have bought it or it is freeware/public domain. It should be looked down upon, and among many of us (Faith and Begorrah ELITISTS) it's pretty loathsome... if you're going to bother entering, bother entering your own work... but thusfar woot's pretty lax about it. Even the top selling shirt this week, a daily no less, was cobbled from clip-art. They should care, but they certainly don't enforce it if they do.

Thanks Adder. In that case, I won't waste my time tattling or posting, unless I see that the clip art requires royalties.

I am not an artist, and I imagine putting together a drawing in 3 days or less could be very draining, unless you are incredibly gifted. I can understand using clip art to add something to a design that would be too time-consuming to do in that short period of time. I find it frustrating to look at "designs" that are simply 2 or 3 pieces of clip art, but I figure that if I can see it for what it is, others will too and vote for something better. We can at least hope so.

geekfactor12

quality posts: 11 Private Messages geekfactor12
mjc613 wrote:Thanks Adder. In that case, I won't waste my time tattling or posting, unless I see that the clip art requires royalties.

I am not an artist, and I imagine putting together a drawing in 3 days or less could be very draining, unless you are incredibly gifted. I can understand using clip art to add something to a design that would be too time-consuming to do in that short period of time. I find it frustrating to look at "designs" that are simply 2 or 3 pieces of clip art, but I figure that if I can see it for what it is, others will too and vote for something better. We can at least hope so.

I think the biggest misconception in the derby is that the top artists are doing this quickly. Cho and Jimi have both said that the night before a derby, they're working so much on their entries that they usually don't sleep. A lot of other people are spending hours and hours working on their original designs.

Knowing that, I feel like even people who think they aren't artists should put in some level of effort to at least try doing it themselves before they resort to clip art. Because you never know for sure what your limits are until you test them. An entrant who uses clip art is going to be doing the same level of work every week, but someone who is actively working to improve their drawing, photoshop or illustrator skills is going to get a lot more out of it- their skills will increase every week.

My other concern with clipart is that I think a lot of the entries using it are coming from professionals- what this means is, they have access to art libraries and sources from their workplaces that the rest of us don't have. Because of this, the clipart allowance isn't leveling the playing field between amateurs and pros, it's actually increasing it.

(In case it's not obvious, I'd love to see clip art outlawed completely. I think a good basic rule for the derby is to not enter anything unless you actually made it, and to me clipart is currently a strange exception to this, for reasons I don't understand.)

derekfilley

quality posts: 0 Private Messages derekfilley
jamescho84 wrote:You're so right, I love cowboy bebop. I have pretty much all the yoko kanno + seatbelts stuff. Not much for anime.. but man.. bebop was so brilliant. Champloo too

I love cowboy beebop. Spiku!

Check out my blog:Here!

AttilaTheMom

quality posts: 5 Private Messages AttilaTheMom
fablefire wrote:Did they have anything else by Yoko Kanno? Usually if people like the Cowboy Bebop soundtrack they'll like just about anything Yoko Kanno.

They didn't have much of anything anime related. This was a b-day present for a friend of hers, who is another anime addict. I doubt either of them know who yoko kanno is but I'll find some and give it a listen. Thanks.

AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH........ whatever.

fablefire

AttilaTheMom wrote:They didn't have much of anything anime related. This was a b-day present for a friend of hers, who is another anime addict. I doubt either of them know who yoko kanno is but I'll find some and give it a listen. Thanks.

Check out:

http://gendou.com/amusic/?filter=Yoko+Kanno&match=3&sort=2

Ready for new theme!

shan24

quality posts: 3 Private Messages shan24
yeeter wrote:Nevermind. Here is my quickie:

Punk Rock Girl by The Dead Milkmen:

Yay I was wondering when we'd see something from The Dead Milkmen