+ Add a Comment

superspryte

quality posts: 21 Private Messages superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

Off-topic? Yeah right. As always, friendly derby discussion is always welcome.

In A.D. 2101
War was beginning.
Captain: What happen ?
Mechanic: Somebody set up us the bomb.
Operator: We get signal.
Captain: What !
Operator: Main screen turn on.
Captain: It's You !!
Cats: How are you gentlemen !!
Cats: All your base are belong to us.
Cats: You are on the way to destruction.
Captain: What you say !!
Cats: You have no chance to survive make your time.
Cats: HA HA HA HA ....
Captain: Take off every 'zig' !!
Captain: You know what you doing.
Captain: Move 'zig'.
Captain: For great justice.

(from the American release of Zero Wing, a Japanese Sega Genesis game)

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | tg.w: 0 | sp.w: 0 | a.w: 0 | k.w: 0 | s.w: 15 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

SkekTek

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek

DIREC-shuns for 33:

Most of us have some favorite lyrical snippet that we've slapped all over our high school yearbooks and MySpace pages. Now it's time to slap it on your chest, in graphic form. Illustrate a choice line, or verse, or more. You should be reasonably certain that more than ten people will have heard the song. Claiming that your little brother's band does a song about Calvinball isn't going to fool the moderators.

The title of your entry should be "Inspired By (Insert Song Title)". This will make it easier on voters and moderators. It's ugly, but if your shirt wins, we're going to have to change the title before we sell it anyway. Also, make sure you tell us in the entry discussion thread specifically what lyrics you're talking about.

No text this week. Putting actual lyrics on your shirt is stealing somebody else's work. Illustrating those lyrics is being "inspired by" someone else's work. See how that works?

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

SkekTek wrote:*derby theme*

Oooh, a bit of cross-posting action. Does that make this more official now?

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | tg.w: 0 | sp.w: 0 | a.w: 0 | k.w: 0 | s.w: 15 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

SkekTek

superspryte wrote:Oooh, a bit of cross-posting action. Does that make this more official now?

I try

Actually, as I posted in the other side, most of my entries can be linked with songs, so we could have resubmission-mania- especially for those folks who placed high in the last few derbies (if I see Cho's damn octopus again, "inspired by the Syd Barret song Octopus", I'm gonna trow-up).

How to do it:

Take an old entry- let's say my Road Runner mechanart.
Search on google "roadrunner lyrics"
Find "Modern Lovers - Roadrunner"
Post old design under that song title...

Bleah... now I don't like the theme at all...

JadenKale

quality posts: 181 Private Messages JadenKale

I'm just happy I have something to work with right off the bat, then I can sketch some others up in between

SkekTek

JadenKale wrote:I'm just happy I have something to work with right off the bat, then I can sketch some others up in between

I might do one really off kilter- Lucretia My Reflection by Sisters of Mercy: A zombie woman's reflection in a mirror...

JadenKale

quality posts: 181 Private Messages JadenKale

I'm gonna go for lunch and talk to the hubby about ideas.

Oh and spryte, awesome game reference this week L O L

PemberDucky

quality posts: 41 Private Messages PemberDucky

Staff

SkekTek wrote:I try

Actually, as I posted in the other side, most of my entries can be linked with songs, so we could have resubmission-mania- especially for those folks who placed high in the last few derbies (if I see Cho's damn octopus again, "inspired by the Syd Barret song Octopus", I'm gonna trow-up).

How to do it:

I was actually thinking about this. I don't think Cho specifically would pull it, since he's a wizard and doesn't need to fall back on that kind of ploy, but I can see plenty of it happening.

-----------------------------------------------
Not sure if you should post that? This slightly-nsfw-flowchart will help.

SkekTek

PemberDucky wrote:I was actually thinking about this. I don't think Cho specifically would pull it, since he's a wizard and doesn't need to fall back on that kind of ploy, but I can see plenty of it happening.

Probably not, but I'm tired of the octopus. It'll be interesting to see what happens in the first hour of submissions...

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

SkekTek wrote:I try

How to do it:

No, flowers. Octopus' Garden.

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

JadenKale wrote:I'm gonna go for lunch and talk to the hubby about ideas.

Oh and spryte, awesome game reference this week L O L

Heh, thanks. The title was going to be "We get off-topic," which of course is a reference to this. I decided I liked the game text better. ^_^

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

Oh man, a song just came on my iTunes that would make a very not PG-13 shirt, that wuz teh funneh. HWC by Liz Phair. Before you go look it up, lyrics NSFW, which is why there's no link to a YouTube video here.

SkekTek

superspryte wrote:Oh man, a song just came on my iTunes that would make a very not PG-13 shirt, that wuz teh funneh. HWC by Liz Phair. Before you go look it up, lyrics NSFW, which is why there's no link to a YouTube video here.

I love her, but no, that song probably wouldn't cut it. Same for F**k and Run... (EDIT: Or Flower... yikes)

How about I'm ** Matt Damon/Ben Affleck?

SkekTek

Dang... I want to do an Ewok blowing out birthday candles ("Ewok Celebration"), but that's probably copyrighted...

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

SkekTek wrote:Dang... I want to do an Ewok blowing out birthday candles ("Ewok Celebration"), but that's probably copyrighted...

Yeah no Star Wars.

AttilaTheMom

quality posts: 5 Private Messages AttilaTheMom

I believe da woot gods have said they reserve the right to reject resubs if they aren't changed in any way. I love the octopus, wish it had place over his other two but I really wanted that dragon this week. Dang it.

And there are so many songs about kissing, being kissed, etc that kenny should be in pucker heaven. (Hey Kenny, try Lita Ford's "kiss this!")

AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH........ whatever.

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

I wish I could find a way to work iGeneration by MC Lars into a shirt. ^_^ Can't think of a way without having to worry about copyright and text.

Schrobblehead

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Schrobblehead
SkekTek wrote:I love her, but no, that song probably wouldn't cut it. Same for F**k and Run... (EDIT: Or Flower... yikes)

How about I'm ** Matt Damon/Ben Affleck?

on the dresser, on the floor, on a towel by the door...

I'm a Christmas Unicorn! In a uniform made of gold, with a billy-goat beard, and a sorcerer's shield, and mistletoe on my nose!

Schrobblehead

How many "domo aragato mr. roboto" shirts will we be seeing this week?

I'm a Christmas Unicorn! In a uniform made of gold, with a billy-goat beard, and a sorcerer's shield, and mistletoe on my nose!

Iambusyeating

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Iambusyeating
SkekTek wrote:Dang... I want to do an Ewok blowing out birthday candles ("Ewok Celebration"), but that's probably copyrighted...

Heh I thought Lucas disowned the Christmas special. I would buy.

krapposelli

quality posts: 0 Private Messages krapposelli

Great! This week we get to insult both the artwork and peoples taste in music! This should be fun!!!

SailorButterfly

quality posts: 14 Private Messages SailorButterfly
Schrobblehead wrote:How many "domo aragato mr. roboto" shirts will we be seeing this week?

Too many. But maybe one of them will actually be good! ^^

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The "Most Awesome Butterfly-Sailor Hybrid on Woot"

AttilaTheMom

krapposelli wrote:Great! This week we get to insult both the artwork and peoples taste in music! This should be fun!!!

oh god, my tastes in music are all over the place. You are equally likely to find jack johnson, turkish pop, korn, cherish the ladies or the canadian brass in my cd player.

PemberDucky

quality posts: 41 Private Messages PemberDucky

Staff

Did Hotcha and her beau disappear from all the threads?
I just realized I don't recall reading/seeing any of their entries lately.

-----------------------------------------------
Not sure if you should post that? This slightly-nsfw-flowchart will help.

AttilaTheMom

Schrobblehead wrote:How many "domo aragato mr. roboto" shirts will we be seeing this week?

Just for you I'll do a "purple rain" shirt.

krapposelli

quality posts: 0 Private Messages krapposelli

Two songs have popped into my head:

"Sunglasses at night" by Corey Hart - would be great for a pucker - in fact the blinged out pucker might already be good to go.

"Tears in Heaven" by Eric Clapton

Now to get them to pop OUT of my head...

Schrobblehead

AttilaTheMom wrote:Just for you I'll do a "purple rain" shirt.

cool. I actually wouldn't hate more robots, I just predict that it is used as an excuse to make more robots. I'm now going to make a robot.

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1

"I Touch Myself" by Divinyls

AttilaTheMom

no1 wrote:"I Touch Myself" by Divinyls

I'm now listening to fatboy slim... "if this don't make your booty move your booty must be dead!"

edit* I shall now use this as an excuse to make a pirate shirt...

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1

How about puns?

for example: resubmit Zombie Chinchilla with another color (some blood-red lips and tiny brainy chunks). Inspired by "True Colors" by Cindy Lauper ("I'll see your two colors shining through")

SkekTek

AttilaTheMom wrote:oh god, my tastes in music are all over the place. You are equally likely to find jack johnson, turkish pop, korn, cherish the ladies or the canadian brass in my cd player.

Shhh... don't tell anyone, but I am doing Banana Pancakes from Jack...

Tickets for my boy Jack go on sale Saturday!!!

allawayr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages allawayr
SkekTek wrote:Shhh... don't tell anyone, but I am doing Banana Pancakes from Jack...

Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!

AttilaTheMom

SkekTek wrote:Shhh... don't tell anyone, but I am doing Banana Pancakes from Jack...

I LOVE THAT SONG!!!

AttilaTheMom

I wonder if more than 10 people (on woot) have heard of transglobal underground?

AttilaTheMom

ya know spryte, this weeks pub should have been called "We've got it! Yeah baby we've got it"

Schrobblehead

AttilaTheMom wrote:I LOVE THAT SONG!!!

I have already sketched one of his songs, I won't say which, but not banana pancakes.

SkekTek

Wow... what a reaction of banana pancakes! Cool! hope my monkey comes out good. The concept is a monkey with a bib and knife/fork and tongue hanging out behind a stack of pancakes with an unpeeled banana jammed into the center. Wait for tomorrow to see it for real...

artulo

quality posts: 13 Private Messages artulo
AttilaTheMom wrote:ya know spryte, this weeks pub should have been called "We've got it! Yeah baby we've got it"

Ahahaha, that's what I thought of when I read the title...still don't get the other reference.

AttilaTheMom

artulo wrote:Ahahaha, that's what I thought of when I read the title...still don't get the other reference.

what, the computer game dialog?

SkekTek

superspryte wrote:Oh man, a song just came on my iTunes that would make a very not PG-13 shirt, that wuz teh funneh. HWC by Liz Phair. Before you go look it up, lyrics NSFW, which is why there's no link to a YouTube video here.

Thanks, spryte... now I'm finding myself listening to Liz in my office. God I miss her... saw her here twice in like three months, now she's hiding...