Schrobblehead

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Schrobblehead
geekfactor12 wrote:I think printing overlooked designs and designers is what Editor's Choice and the Best Of derby were supposed to achieve. Sort of a similar idea, but Woot tackled it from a different angle. I'd like to see more stuff along those lines, though, because it keeps artists from being cheap with their concepts (only doing ideas they know Woot likes, which gets a bit dull).

I was thinking about doing a design of gang fight, kinda like the one in Anchorman between the competing newscast teams, and it would be between gangs of robots, rocket-penguins, zombies, ninjas, pirates, pandas and pieces of cake. Above them is a giant anvil suspended from a pulley and against a wall is someone (and for some reason I see the man in the yellow hat from curious george) about to drop the anvil on all of them. It would be called "lets hope none of them survive". Not sure if this would work, but it would at least get a reaction. Definitely not sure about the man in the yellow hat. maybe skek's goldfish teamed with no1's vegetables...

That's as cheap as it gets...

I'm a Christmas Unicorn! In a uniform made of gold, with a billy-goat beard, and a sorcerer's shield, and mistletoe on my nose!

superspryte

quality posts: 21 Private Messages superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

JadenKale wrote:I've only seen an 'Editor's Choice' done once... and that ended up being a Cho shirt.

Actually, one of the benefits of cho winning so often is that we have a better chance of one of our other designs winning in a 'Best Of' derby L O L. It is so difficult competing with that level sometimes. It was stressful during the Water Derby. Hopefully, they choose to do a Best Of during the weekend of Easter. I don't want to try and entertain guests AND do an entry that Thursday.

I thought there was a whole week of them...?

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | tg.w: 0 | sp.w: 0 | a.w: 0 | k.w: 0 | s.w: 15 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

SkekTek

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek
geekfactor12 wrote:There was a whole week of Editor's Choice, including stuff by Gentry, Damiendone and Cheesesandwich.

It's scary that if you take Joel, add long hair (ala Jimiyo), you get Steve Perry from Journey.

JadenKale

quality posts: 181 Private Messages JadenKale
SkekTek wrote:Water derby... I came so close...

*huggles the Sponge* I know Skek. I was routing for you too. You were the one design that week in the top 10 that I would have rather lost to. We were neck and neck for so long, I couldn't believe that the cup overtook you. I'm just glad the cup lost, sorry to the designer.

JadenKale

geekfactor12 wrote:There was a whole week of Editor's Choice, including stuff by Gentry, Damiendone and Cheesesandwich.

I missed that somehow.... was that around New Years?

jimiyo

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jimiyo
SkekTek wrote:It's scary that if you take Joel, add long hair (ala Jimiyo), you get Steve Perry from Journey.

BWHAHAHAHAHA..

JadenKale

That's just scary... *shudders in a corner*

SkekTek

JadenKale wrote:That's just scary... *shudders in a corner*

Told you folks...

Must tell you though, I've been a big Journey fan for, oh, over 25 years.

TAYLORT5

quality posts: 1 Private Messages TAYLORT5

STEVE PERRY !!!! what the who...the new journey singer is Filipino Arnel Pineda
short dude too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJPnbSiP8rU

You're on probation!

You've been put on posting probation for this post for this reason: Ok, I deleted it 3 times. Do you not get it? (24h) Personal attack/useless post.

Please stare at the scary cartoon dog for 20 hours and then try posting again.

AttilaTheMom

quality posts: 5 Private Messages AttilaTheMom
SkekTek wrote:Here are some interesting derby themes woot could try:

1) Stick figure derby
2) Design for your grandma derby
3) Woot-themed derby (c'mon woot, let's design for YOU)
4) Specific color of t-shirt derby (design for orange, for instance. Anything).
5) Charity derby. Each entrant makes a design for their favorite charity. Winners get $100 donation in the name of woot to that charity
6) Ode to a body part derby.
7) Stuffed animal derby
8) Cartoon/Anime derby
9) Make fun of the profession of your choice derby
10) Make fun of the shirt.woot designer of your choice derby

Go add these to the derby themes thread.

AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH........ whatever.

Schrobblehead

This is an amazing story I just found on cnn.com. I wouldn't have believed it if it wasn't in the real news.

I'm a Christmas Unicorn! In a uniform made of gold, with a billy-goat beard, and a sorcerer's shield, and mistletoe on my nose!

TAYLORT5

Schrobblehead wrote:This is an amazing story I just found on cnn.com. I wouldn't have believed it if it wasn't in the real news.

it was , but I woulda posted this link.http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/asiapcf/03/12/nz.whales.ap/index.html#cnnSTCVideo

You're on probation!

You've been put on posting probation for this post for this reason: Ok, I deleted it 3 times. Do you not get it? (24h) Personal attack/useless post.

PemberDucky

quality posts: 41 Private Messages PemberDucky

Staff

I want a dolphin.

-----------------------------------------------
Not sure if you should post that? This slightly-nsfw-flowchart will help.

Schrobblehead

PemberDucky wrote:I want a dolphin.

Do you live in the ocean? I'm guessing you are a freshwater duck. You could go to China, where they have river dolphins, but those are hard to find these days.

PemberDucky

Staff

Schrobblehead wrote:Do you live in the ocean? I'm guessing you are a freshwater duck. You could go to China, where they have river dolphins, but those are hard to find these days.

Right now I am a Desert Duck, so unless there is a rare and elusive SouthWestern Xerascape Dolphin, I must settle for pictures.

SkekTek

AttilaTheMom wrote:Go add these to the derby themes thread.

Did that. No comments since I posted it though.

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

SkekTek wrote:Did that. No comments since I posted it though.

Of course not. That would be logical.

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | tg.w: 0 | sp.w: 0 | a.w: 0 | k.w: 0 | s.w: 15 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

Schrobblehead

s-cubed do you speak japanese? I know you said you were going, and I saw your comment in the "el scorcho" shirt.

*crickets are getting loud in here"

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

Schrobblehead wrote:s-cubed do you speak japanese? I know you said you were going, and I saw your comment in the "el scorcho" shirt.

*crickets are getting loud in here"

Yeah, a bit. I have a degree in Japanese. ^_~

English, motha*****, do you speak it?!

JadenKale

My aunt sent me some info yesterday about a place that I think a few people may be interested in. It's a site called Tiny Showcase. I know that many people comment here about some designs, how some would look better as a print, and this got me thinking that this could be helpful to some designers. I thought it may be helpful to those who have great art, but don't get the recognition in the shirt derbies because their designs may be too 'artistic' to be worn.

SkekTek

JadenKale wrote:My aunt sent me some info yesterday about a place that I think a few people may be interested in. It's a site called Tiny Showcase. I know that many people comment here about some designs, how some would look better as a print, and this got me thinking that this could be helpful to some designers. I thought it may be helpful to those who have great art, but don't get the recognition in the shirt derbies because their designs may be too 'artistic' to be worn.

Arrggghhhh!!!! That'd be the perfect forum for my RoboRaptor... it looks gorgeous on print, but not so much on a t-shirt...

Schrobblehead

superspryte wrote:I have a degree in Japanese. ^_~

That's cool. They offered that in high school, but I was lazy and went for Spanish.

JadenKale wrote:...because their designs may be too 'artistic' to be worn.

They have some really cool stuff in there, I don't know that "too artistic to be worn" is exactly the reason my designs don't get enough votes though. More like, "really, you expect someone to want THAT?"

SkekTek

Schrobblehead wrote:They have some really cool stuff in there, I don't know that "too artistic to be worn" is exactly the reason my designs don't get enough votes though. More like, "really, you expect someone to want THAT?"

I'd buy the submarine one... actually itd be cool if your design was the front, and there was a "back view" on the back

Schrobblehead

SkekTek wrote:I'd buy the submarine one... actually itd be cool if your design was the front, and there was a "back view" on the back

That would be cool. There are some other shirts I think that would work for too but it would double the time it takes woot, so they'd have rea$on$ not to do it.

TAYLORT5

PemberDucky wrote:Right now I am a Desert Duck, so unless there is a rare and elusive SouthWestern Xerascape Dolphin, I must settle for pictures.

mirage has dolphins ask to buy one of those.

You're on probation!

SkekTek

Schrobblehead wrote:That would be cool. There are some other shirts I think that would work for too but it would double the time it takes woot, so they'd have rea$on$ not to do it.

Yeah, but while we're dreaming....

I'll be trying to think what to submit to DBH tonight...

Schrobblehead

SkekTek wrote:Yeah, but while we're dreaming....

I'll be trying to think what to submit to DBH tonight...

good luck. I am going to work on something to submit for a daily (and probably another rejection), this time less creepy. Though maybe I should submit the rorschach to DBH just to see. Woot doesn't have rights to dailies they don't accept do they?

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

I just got Nessie. Soooo cuuuuute! The underwater color isn't as dark as I expected it to be but other than that it's everything I'd hoped it would be. ^_~ Methinks I'll wear it tomorrow.

EDIT: Two bottles of pinot noir and a bottle of pinot blanc showed up too. *squee*

geekfactor12

quality posts: 11 Private Messages geekfactor12
Schrobblehead wrote:good luck. I am going to work on something to submit for a daily (and probably another rejection), this time less creepy. Though maybe I should submit the rorschach to DBH just to see. Woot doesn't have rights to dailies they don't accept do they?

Woot has the rights to any submission (daily or derby) for 60 days. Which isn't that bad, actually- I think 60 days is just about the right amount of time to get some more feedback on your work (either on Woot or another site or in real life) and make it so good, it won't be rejected by the next place you put it.

Er, with that in mind, if anyone has any feedback on my MEIN LIEBEN! Queen shirt, I'd love to hear it ;)

Schrobblehead

geekfactor12 wrote:Woot has the rights to any submission (daily or derby) for 60 days.

Thanks for the info. I'm not exactly sure it was "rejected", but based on the response I got, I am confident it won't get made by woot. guess I'll give it 60 days to be sure.

PemberDucky

Staff

TAYLORT5 wrote:mirage has dolphins ask to buy one of those.

I had this blinding flash of stupid and goofy for a moment...and it may only be funny to me, but I was suddenly imagining a cartoon duck with like...a top hat and a monocle walking up to the people at the Mirage and, in that Homer-Simpson-trying-to-sound-important voice, demanding their finest dolphin.
"Just name your price!"

Schrobblehead

PemberDucky wrote:I had this blinding flash of stupid and goofy for a moment...and it may only be funny to me, but I was suddenly imagining a cartoon duck with like...a top hat and a monocle walking up to the people at the Mirage and, in that Homer-Simpson-trying-to-sound-important voice, demanding their finest dolphin.
"Just name your price!"

You should make a shirt! It will be total nonsense to people who haven't read this thread, but still funny in a family guy sort of way (so randomly unrelated to anything that it is funny).

PemberDucky

Staff

Schrobblehead wrote:You should make a shirt! It will be total non-sense to people who haven't read this thread, but still funny in a family guy sort of way (so randomly unrelated to anything that it is funny).

lulz, I'd love to do that, but I'm artistically impotent!

JadenKale

SkekTek wrote:Arrggghhhh!!!! That'd be the perfect forum for my RoboRaptor... it looks gorgeous on print, but not so much on a t-shirt...

Well I know I've seen some entries that get that rhetoric when they post something very artistic. I love a few of Edgar's designs but as much as I'd like one on a shirt, I could totally see them as a print I could hang up in my house. There are a few entries over the weeks I've seen which could have been awesome as a print versus a shirt.

sparklzk27

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sparklzk27

what is the rule regarding resubs from past derbies? I read in another post that you can resub as long as you change something? is there somewhere to see a complete list of derby rules? just wondering for future reference and I just wrote this out on my new wacom tablet I love this thing!

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

sparklzk27 wrote:what is the rule regarding resubs from past derbies? I read in another post that you can resub as long as you change something? is there somewhere to see a complete list of derby rules? just wondering for future reference and I just wrote this out on my new wacom tablet I love this thing!

Resubs are touchy. You have to have a significant change that woot deems acceptable. There are no hard rules for it except "no direct resubs." They tend not to be worth it because the wooters don't usually vote as readily once they've seen the design even if it has been revamped.

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

It just occurred to me that my dad doesn't know I'm going to Japan yet. Oops. Well I'll tell him when I get around to it.

jimiyo

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jimiyo
superspryte wrote:Yeah, a bit. I have a degree in Japanese. ^_~

hon to? anata wa kakoeeeeeee!

wait wait...

Su goi-

Su-pu-ra-e-toh!

watachi no okasan wa ninhonjin

otosan wah Honkey.

hehehe

you ever check out JET Programme? go teach english without even having to know japenese. i was gonna do it, but i wanted to be an artist, not a teacher. it would be great if you want the whole japanese experience. ive heard great things about it.

PemberDucky

Staff

jimiyo wrote:hon to? anata wa kakoeeeeeee!

wait wait...

Su goi-

Su-pu-ra-e-toh!

watachi no okasan wa ninhonjin

otosan wah Honkey.

hehehe

you ever check out JET Programme? go teach english without even having to know japenese. i was gonna do it, but i wanted to be an artist, not a teacher. it would be great if you want the whole japanese experience. ive heard great things about it.

They do this for Taiwanese buxibans as well. Lots of people enjoy the experience. But like you, teaching is not my destiny.

sparklzk27

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sparklzk27
superspryte wrote:Resubs are touchy. You have to have a significant change that woot deems acceptable. There are no hard rules for it except "no direct resubs." They tend not to be worth it because the wooters don't usually vote as readily once they've seen the design even if it has been revamped.

ok thanks for the help