AttilaTheMom

quality posts: 5 Private Messages AttilaTheMom

ok, since nobody else took a swing at it, i had to try something. besides, it let me play with my new scanner. needs a lot of cleaning up yet, but some constructive criticism please?

*edit this is inspired by Short Skirt/Long Jacket by Cake
scanner keeps cutting bits off.

AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH........ whatever.

TAYLORT5

quality posts: 1 Private Messages TAYLORT5

side comment from my last post in the main derby page I found "story of a life" in case anyone wants to hear it. its low quality: but high quality If you know what I mean. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHBb2zm7ago "harry wheres the bananas"

You're on probation!

You've been put on posting probation for this post for this reason: Ok, I deleted it 3 times. Do you not get it? (24h) Personal attack/useless post.

Please stare at the scary cartoon dog for 20 hours and then try posting again.

SkekTek

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek
AttilaTheMom wrote:ok, since nobody else took a swing at it, i had to try something. besides, it let me play with my new scanner. needs a lot of cleaning up yet, but some constructive criticism please?

*edit this is inspired by Short Skirt/Long Jacket by Cake
scanner keeps cutting bits off.

Like the song. Need to work on the boot though. Interesting idea, though. I can see Cho putting a penguin in a short skirt and long jacket...

superspryte

quality posts: 21 Private Messages superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

Putting in a couple requests:

For me.

And for my boyfriend...

PS - This is his first derby, so if you guys have any comments/criticism for the Straw Dog entry please leave some in the entry thread. ^_^

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | tg.w: 0 | sp.w: 0 | a.w: 0 | k.w: 0 | s.w: 15 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

Except that I'm tired of the flower entires, I wanted to make an entry based on this song. Unfortunately, I couldn't find an original video so you guys get to watch that. Now that I think about it...there might not be one. Dunno. Enjoy the song. ^_^

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | tg.w: 0 | sp.w: 0 | a.w: 0 | k.w: 0 | s.w: 15 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

Schrobblehead

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Schrobblehead

I made a new shirt. I gave up on most of my ideas now that this one took so long, but here is my version of Yellow Submarine. Please click to vote!

I'm a Christmas Unicorn! In a uniform made of gold, with a billy-goat beard, and a sorcerer's shield, and mistletoe on my nose!

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

Schrobblehead wrote:I made a new shirt. I gave up on most of my ideas now that this one took so long, but here is my version of Yellow Submarine. Please click to vote!

Nicely done. ^_^

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

Lost my steam this week after seeing some of the stuff in the top 10. But here's one more.

^_^

Iambusyeating

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Iambusyeating

I can't believe my shirt got rejected. I'm really sad.

JadenKale

quality posts: 181 Private Messages JadenKale

Eh, if that's the case Iambusy, do something goofy. My mom was bummed about the no text rule when I told her. She wanted me to do the Alphabet song. L O L

Iambusyeating

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Iambusyeating
JadenKale wrote:Eh, if that's the case Iambusy, do something goofy. My mom was bummed about the no text rule when I told her. She wanted me to do the Alphabet song. L O L

I want to submit a "Inspired by Joel Lewis the Reckless Rejector" shirt but, I don't have my computer. I'm on spring break. I plan on sublimating my angst into a really sweet entry next week. Unless its no-text again. I want to use some helvetica.

Andy47240

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Andy47240
Iambusyeating wrote:I want to submit a "Inspired by Joel Lewis the Reckless Rejector" shirt but, I don't have my computer. I'm on spring break. I plan on sublimating my angst into a really sweet entry next week. Unless its no-text again. I want to use some helvetica.

If you are on Spring Break you should just be happy about that!
I was a cool design though.
-Andy

SkekTek

Iambusyeating wrote:I want to submit a "Inspired by Joel Lewis the Reckless Rejector" shirt but, I don't have my computer. I'm on spring break. I plan on sublimating my angst into a really sweet entry next week. Unless its no-text again. I want to use some helvetica.

If you really want to peeve off the powers that be (which includes the snobby voters), make the font Times New Roman. That really drives them mad.

Sorry you got booted- you were up there in the standings. The problem with designs incorporating iconic images (like Abbey Road) is that it's hard to do them without someone raising a ruckus. Especially if you are between someone and their pet shirt design.... so unfortunate, since it was a really nice concept.

EDIT: You could parody Maxwell's Silver Hammer, only having the silver hammer coming down on a vague t-shirt design

Patchitect

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Patchitect

Here ya'll go.. since my other attempt has 2.. count em 2!!!! votes (thanks Spryte) I'll have to enter thie one:

You think we look pretty good together
You think my shoes are made of leather

But I'm a substitute for another guy
I look pretty tall but my heels are high
The simple things you see are all complicated
I look pretty young, but I'm just back-dated

Yeah

geekfactor12

quality posts: 11 Private Messages geekfactor12

I'm sorry you feel badly about your shirt getting rejected, but Joel made the absolute right decision. You can't really make a Beatles fan shirt about a Beatles song that uses a well-known, iconic, and copyrighted piece of Beatles imagery as the centerpiece. It's also not an obvious parody, because it takes the lyrics literally. If it managed to be printed, Woot would have risked some considerable legal issues.

Getting rejected isn't personal, it's just a fact of the derby. And while it vacuums, the best reaction is to come back and do something even better next week.

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

Yeaaah! I got me a baby dragon shirt!!!! *dance*

Schrobblehead

I can't believe woot is selling two for $10 again. I really like these 2 better than the other 3 from the last derby too so that was nice. I also can't believe how unbelievably rough this derby has been voting wise. That is too bad Iambusyeating's shirt got rejected. He/she has had an obviously quick progression to high quality work. It was a fairly easy call that it would be rejected for its content, but I expect good things will happen in future derbies.

I'm a Christmas Unicorn! In a uniform made of gold, with a billy-goat beard, and a sorcerer's shield, and mistletoe on my nose!

AttilaTheMom

DAMITALL, missed the woot 'cause I was fighting with nwn2 and its stupid camera views. <sigh> I hope I can still buy 2 tomorrow, i want them both. but yaaaay, they're printing the dragon!

AttilaTheMom

SkekTek wrote:If you really want to peeve off the powers that be (which includes the snobby voters), make the font Times New Roman. That really drives them mad.

Sorry you got booted- you were up there in the standings. The problem with designs incorporating iconic images (like Abbey Road) is that it's hard to do them without someone raising a ruckus. Especially if you are between someone and their pet shirt design.... so unfortunate, since it was a really nice concept.

EDIT: You could parody Maxwell's Silver Hammer, only having the silver hammer coming down on a vague t-shirt design

it's not that it's an iconic image. lots of woot designs have those. it's that it was a copyrighted image. woot tends to boot all of them unless it is obviously parody. which this one wasn't. it was a nice design though.

SailorButterfly

quality posts: 14 Private Messages SailorButterfly
SkekTek wrote:If you really want to peeve off the powers that be (which includes the snobby voters), make the font Times New Roman. That really drives them mad.

Or Comic Sans. I think a shirt can get rejected if it uses Comic Sans. O.O

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The "Most Awesome Butterfly-Sailor Hybrid on Woot"

TAYLORT5

quality posts: 1 Private Messages TAYLORT5

YES YES YESYESYES YESYES
YES YES YES YES
YES YESYES YES
YES YES YES
YES YESYESYES YESYES

You're on probation!

You've been put on posting probation for this post for this reason: Ok, I deleted it 3 times. Do you not get it? (24h) Personal attack/useless post.

Please stare at the scary cartoon dog for 20 hours and then try posting again.

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1

What the hell, there aren't that many posts here. Everybody must be too busy trying to make pictures out of obscure songs.

Here's mine.

Dr. Jeremy Corn's bioweapon experiment worked!

Inspired by the lyrics
"...pictures
Of mountain tops
With him on top
Lemon yellow sun
Arms raised in a V
The dead lay in pools of maroon below"

dontwantaname

quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

no1 wrote:What the hell, there aren't that many posts here. Everybody must be too busy trying to make pictures out of obscure songs.

Here's mine.

Dr. Jeremy Corn's bioweapon experiment worked!

Inspired by the lyrics
"...pictures
Of mountain tops
With him on top
Lemon yellow sun
Arms raised in a V
The dead lay in pools of maroon below"

Dr Jeremy looks a lot like Dr Joe.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

no1

dontwantaname wrote:Dr Jeremy looks a lot like Dr Joe.

Ms. Name,

I'm sure Dr. Josephus appreciates that you think his head is so hairless and pointy and his skin is so yellow and lumpy.

SkekTek

no1 wrote:What the hell, there aren't that many posts here. Everybody must be too busy trying to make pictures out of obscure songs.

Some of us gave it our best shot, but can't match the output of the master illustrators... I myself am working on dailies and bits to use in future contests (textures, etc).

JadenKale

quality posts: 181 Private Messages JadenKale

Nope, I took forever this evening making my 'Peaches' entry.
L O L

Schrobblehead

OK, I'm desperate for votes, so I made another design. Please vote for Inspired by Spider Pig (as sung by Homer Simpson):

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

Yeah so the Derby Cyberpub really is dead this week. Wow. Then again, this derby has had 400 entries already so I guess everyone's been busy.

Schrobblehead

superspryte wrote:Yeah so the Derby Cyberpub really is dead this week. Wow. Then again, this derby has had 400 entries already so I guess everyone's been busy.

This is probably the easiest derby to think of ideas for, so people who have the time to make shirts are probably just busy doing it. I have no less than 3 more shirt ideas, but I'm really going to stop after this. There is not much point in trying anyways since there is no chance I am going to be beating James Cho or Jimiyo or the Lime in the Coconut shirt, though it would be nice to get some votes anyways.

SkekTek

Schrobblehead wrote:This is probably the easiest derby to think of ideas for, so people who have the time to make shirts are probably just busy doing it. I have no less than 3 more shirt ideas, but I'm really going to stop after this. There is not much point in trying anyways since there is no chance I am going to be beating James Cho or Jimiyo or the Lime in the Coconut shirt, though it would be nice to get some votes anyways.

I'm doing a silly one tonight- "I'd like to teach the world to sing"- with the sun conducting the earth. It's coming out REALLY silly looking. I took the world I made for my Depeche Mode entry that got, oh, 10 votes... hoping it gets the "late entry sympathy vote".

Schrobblehead

SkekTek wrote:I'm doing a silly one tonight- "I'd like to teach the world to sing"- with the sun conducting the earth. It's coming out REALLY silly looking. I took the world I made for my Depeche Mode entry that got, oh, 10 votes... hoping it gets the "late entry sympathy vote".

I think qualtiy late entries will get some votes regardless of sympathy. I recall some tyranosaurus rex arms doing quite well as a late entry a few weeks ago. I'm sure yours will do fine. I was thinking of making Lola, by the Kinks. It was going to be a very feminine cherry cola can, with a strategically placed pair of cherries, indicating the true gender of the can, but my wife thought spider pig was better and now I ran out of steam.

SkekTek

Schrobblehead wrote:I think qualtiy late entries will get some votes regardless of sympathy. I recall some tyranosaurus rex arms doing quite well as a late entry a few weeks ago. I'm sure yours will do fine. I was thinking of making Lola, by the Kinks. It was going to be a very feminine cherry cola can, with a strategically placed pair of cherries, indicating the true gender of the can, but my wife thought spider pig was better and now I ran out of steam.

Here's what I have so far. Thoughts? I have to go to a 11 AM meeting, so I haven't finished the sun's face..

Schrobblehead

SkekTek wrote:Here's what I have so far. Thoughts? I have to go to a 11 AM meeting, so I haven't finished the sun's face..

I don't know if my thoughts are all that helpful, seeing as I can't seem to break 40 votes, but I think the earth shouldn't have so many colors in the mouth. I figure you are showing the earth's core, which would look something like that, but it just doesn't look right to me. The sun's left arm also seems just a touch out of place. It is otherwise very good and it generally makes sense.

Schrobblehead

Kerster11 wrote:.

I couldn't agree with you more.

no1

SkekTek wrote:Here's what I have so far. Thoughts? I have to go to a 11 AM meeting, so I haven't finished the sun's face..

Change the conductor's baton into a whip and put the earth in chains/bondage gear, and then you've got something.

Just kidding.

Mabe.

Schrobblehead

Someone at work just sent me this. It's pretty funny if you don't mind puns, and should be safe for work.

AttilaTheMom

no1 wrote:Change the conductor's baton into a whip and put the earth in chains/bondage gear, and then you've got something.

Just kidding.

Mabe.

I'd vote for whips and chains but woot would give it the boot. If it was a se xy thigh high boot with stilleto heels i'd vote for that too.

PemberDucky

quality posts: 41 Private Messages PemberDucky

Staff

AttilaTheMom wrote:I'd vote for whips and chains but woot would give it the boot. If it was a se xy thigh high boot with stilleto heels i'd vote for that too.

A++!

-----------------------------------------------
Not sure if you should post that? This slightly-nsfw-flowchart will help.

no1

Waiting for "'Scuse Me While I Kiss This Guy"

SkekTek

Schrobblehead wrote:I couldn't agree with you more.

Again, posting on the wife's computer (and her username) rears it's ugly head...

no1 wrote:Change the conductor's baton into a whip and put the earth in chains/bondage gear, and then you've got something.

Just kidding.

Mabe.

I'm teaching the earth to SING... not to SUFFER

I might work on the left hand of god (oh, SUN, sorry). If you search any image bank, you see conductors use both hands. I had mine pointing, but maybe I can change it to something else (fist, or just a flat hand).