Patchitect

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Patchitect
SkekTek wrote:Man, thought of another entry (but I shall resist). Moxy Fruvous- you will go to the moon. Image of a lunar lander on the moon, where there's... a monkey?

"You will go to the moon
There's plans for a hotel and a lagoon
You'll be savoring a star fruit
And kicking off your moonboot
Oh you will go to the moon.

Hey, you will go to the moon
A paradise to rival Cancun
And one side's always sunny
You'll be raking in the money
Oh you get paid on the moon"

Either that or their song King of Spain. Guy in kingly garb on a zamboni with Bill Clinton and Yeltzin. What the heck?!? you ask?

"Once I was the King of Spain (now I eat humble pie)
Hey Clinton! Hey Yeltsin! Got problems?
You phone me (now I eat humble pie)
I'm telling you I was the King of Spain (now I eat humble pie)
Now the Leafs call me up to drive the Zamboni"

Betcha noone thought of Fruvous. Those guys are out there. But then again, I wonder if anyone remembers them. Certainly noone on the shirt boards knows a lot about Phish...

I just thought about doing "baa baa black sheep" but too tired and not worth the effort at this point.

JadenKale

quality posts: 181 Private Messages JadenKale
Patchitect wrote:I just thought about doing "baa baa black sheep" but too tired and not worth the effort at this point.

I would have feared it looking like one from the dream derby L O L

TAYLORT5

quality posts: 1 Private Messages TAYLORT5

Ya know I hate this , most of the submissions are just the title made into a picture .we were supose to pick lines from songs actual phases and illustrate it on a shirt. whats so hard about that? way to bend the derby people.

You're on probation!

You've been put on posting probation for this post for this reason: Ok, I deleted it 3 times. Do you not get it? (24h) Personal attack/useless post.

Please stare at the scary cartoon dog for 20 hours and then try posting again.

superspryte

quality posts: 21 Private Messages superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

TAYLORT5 wrote:Ya know I hate this , most of the submissions are just the title made into a picture .we were supose to pick lines from songs actual phases and illustrate it on a shirt. whats so hard about that? way to bend the derby people.

It looks like everyone wants to have the designs easily recognizable as being inspired by the song and the easiest way to do that is by illustrating the title. Designs like my wooden figure with wings are not instantly recognizable even if people know the song. Perhaps this is why we're seeing so many song titles instead of song lyrics?

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | tg.w: 0 | sp.w: 0 | a.w: 0 | k.w: 0 | s.w: 15 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

SkekTek

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek
TAYLORT5 wrote:Ya know I hate this , most of the submissions are just the title made into a picture .we were supose to pick lines from songs actual phases and illustrate it on a shirt. whats so hard about that? way to bend the derby people.

That's true... I did submit a black spider as the tarantula from the Banana Boat Song, which isn't in the title, but it ain't getting any love. So I think voters want to look at the entry and vote either because it immediately evokes the song, or is amazingly artistic.

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

SkekTek wrote:That's true... I did submit a black spider as the tarantula from the Banana Boat Song, which isn't in the title, but it ain't getting any love. So I think voters want to look at the entry and vote either because it immediately evokes the song, or is amazingly artistic.

Honestly, did we expect anything else?

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | tg.w: 0 | sp.w: 0 | a.w: 0 | k.w: 0 | s.w: 15 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

TAYLORT5

superspryte wrote:Honestly, did we expect anything else?

are you saying most people can't read.?

You're on probation!

You've been put on posting probation for this post for this reason: Ok, I deleted it 3 times. Do you not get it? (24h) Personal attack/useless post.

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

TAYLORT5 wrote:are you saying most people can't read.?

No, I'm not going to insult anyone's intelligence. What I meant is did we really expect designs that don't immediately relate to a song or have insane artistic whatever in them to get anywhere? I'd have trouble articulating exactly why but it makes sense to me. That is not to say that I like it. ^_^

TAYLORT5

superspryte wrote:No, I'm not going to insult anyone's intelligence. What I meant is did we really expect designs that don't immediately relate to a song or have insane artistic whatever in them to get anywhere? I'd have trouble articulating exactly why but it makes sense to me. That is not to say that I like it. ^_^

sorry spryte, just trying to insite a drama session. whaka whaka...thats how britney does it. hey theres one toxic....

You're on probation!

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

TAYLORT5 wrote:sorry spryte, just trying to insite a drama session. whaka whaka...thats how britney does it. hey theres one toxic....

Yeah don't do that. I'm vaguely bored but not *that* bored.

SkekTek

TAYLORT5 wrote:are you saying most people can't read.?

It's more accurate that most voters can't recall more than the title... actually, most voters probably don't look much further than the top 10 and the hotness.

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

SkekTek wrote:It's more accurate that most voters can't recall more than the title... actually, most voters probably don't look much further than the top 10 and the hotness.

Also true. Unless we could find a way to make the thumbnails play the song (from the main derby page) there's little hope for recognition without the title.

PemberDucky

quality posts: 41 Private Messages PemberDucky

Staff

SkekTek wrote:It's more accurate that most voters can't recall more than the title... actually, most voters probably don't look much further than the top 10 and the hotness.

Actually, I'll bet with a derby like this, they're more inclined to take a peek at more than just the top ten to see if a song they like is represented.

-----------------------------------------------
Not sure if you should post that? This slightly-nsfw-flowchart will help.

TAYLORT5

see I didn't have to say it...but there it is in all its truth no chance for a any one else to win when the first designs out are the top designers. and I wouldn't wear their taste in music on my shirt.I rock.

You're on probation!

SkekTek

TAYLORT5 wrote:see I didn't have to say it...but there it is in all its truth no chance for a any one else to win when the first designs out are the top designers. and I wouldn't wear their taste in music on my shirt.I rock.

While I enjoy the sentiment, I am one of those few that managed to score a printed shirt design even though I ain't no designer. It did help that Cho was in a self-imposed shirt.woot exile at the time, though. And Jaden won (yay Jaden!).

But the last few weeks, it's been the Jimiyo and Cho show! And tonight's special guest... Edgar!

Schrobblehead

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Schrobblehead
SkekTek wrote:That's true... I did submit a black spider as the tarantula from the Banana Boat Song, which isn't in the title, but it ain't getting any love. So I think voters want to look at the entry and vote either because it immediately evokes the song, or is amazingly artistic.

Or because of the inclusion of pirates, ninjas and robots. My submarine shirt was not the first I wanted to do after my Monsoon design bombed; I made it as a joke. It is the child of both the desire to mock memes and the desire to get votes. I think the best shirts are those that are inspired by the actual lyrics, are well drawn/made and are also recognizable by the song title alone. There are a few designs that meet that description that are being overlooked because the song (or the designer) is less popular than others.

I'm a Christmas Unicorn! In a uniform made of gold, with a billy-goat beard, and a sorcerer's shield, and mistletoe on my nose!

SkekTek

Schrobblehead wrote:Or because of the inclusion of pirates, ninjas and robots. My submarine shirt was not the first I wanted to do after my Monsoon design bombed; I made it as a joke. It is the child of both the desire to mock memes and the desire to get votes. I think the best shirts are those that are inspired by the actual lyrics, are well drawn/made and are also recognizable by the song title alone. There are a few designs that meet that description that are being overlooked because the song (or the designer) is less popular than others.

I loved the submarine's sendup of the memes. Gave it two votes, but it needs more than my piddly votes to get up there.

Schrobblehead

SkekTek wrote:I loved the submarine's sendup of the memes. Gave it two votes, but it needs more than my piddly votes to get up there.

Thanks. I'd vote for banana pancakes again if I could, but you already had that on Friday.

I'm a Christmas Unicorn! In a uniform made of gold, with a billy-goat beard, and a sorcerer's shield, and mistletoe on my nose!

SkekTek

Schrobblehead wrote:Thanks. I'd vote for banana pancakes again if I could, but you already had that on Friday.

Again, I wonder what this contest would look like if there were a cap on printings per some time interval. IE: You get 4 shirts every three months. That would keep professional artists from making shirt.woot a source of easy money and force them to open their own shops on spreadshirt or such. Then, the small time and hobby artists could get more exposure.

PemberDucky

Staff

SkekTek wrote:Again, I wonder what this contest would look like if there were a cap on printings per some time interval. IE: You get 4 shirts every three months. That would keep professional artists from making shirt.woot a source of easy money and force them to open their own shops on spreadshirt or such. Then, the small time and hobby artists could get more exposure.

That's a good idea. I can see how some would see it as punishment for doing well, though, I suppose. The thing is, voters don't even seem to try to decide whether they actually *like* a design produced by whoever the Flavor of the Month is. A great example is the Edgar 'imposter' and that distasteful airplane-crash shirt. The design is merely an afterthought, it appears.

Schrobblehead

PemberDucky wrote:That's a good idea. I can see how some would see it as punishment for doing well, though, I suppose. The thing is, voters don't even seem to try to decide whether they actually *like* a design produced by whoever the Flavor of the Month is. A great example is the Edgar 'imposter' and that distasteful airplane-crash shirt. The design is merely an afterthought, it appears.

I'm too competetive for that. If I am going to win I want it to be against the best. It drives me to work harder too. I actually can't wait for thursday because I just got a graphire tablet on ebay and I really want to try it out on something worth my time.

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
PemberDucky wrote:That's a good idea. I can see how some would see it as punishment for doing well, though, I suppose. The thing is, voters don't even seem to try to decide whether they actually *like* a design produced by whoever the Flavor of the Month is. A great example is the Edgar 'imposter' and that distasteful airplane-crash shirt. The design is merely an afterthought, it appears.

PemberDucky

Staff

Schrobblehead wrote:I'm too competetive for that. If I am going to win I want it to be against the best. It drives me to work harder too. I actually can't wait for thursday because I just got a graphire tablet on ebay and I really want to try it out on something worth my time.

Oh yeah, you can win over the masses without being a headliner, don't get me wrong. And with that attitude, nothing's going to stop you!
I'm looking forward to seeing what you produce!

@ no1: Well said indeed, my friend.

no1

SkekTek wrote:Again, I wonder what this contest would look like if there were a cap on printings per some time interval. IE: You get 4 shirts every three months. That would keep professional artists from making shirt.woot a source of easy money and force them to open their own shops on spreadshirt or such. Then, the small time and hobby artists could get more exposure.

I wonder how long it takes the Derby Elite to make a typical design. James Cho's and Jimiyo's designs are very detailed. Cho in particular pumps out a lot of quality stuff every week, mabe we should find him a girlfriend.

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

no1 wrote:I wonder how long it takes the Derby Elite to make a typical design. James Cho's and Jimiyo's designs are very detailed. Cho in particular pumps out a lot of quality stuff every week, mabe we should find him a girlfriend.

They've said they work all night on their designs, so often 10+ hours.

Patchitect

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Patchitect
superspryte wrote:They've said they work all night on their designs, so often 10+ hours.

gee.. i dont have that kind of attention span on a thursday night... mine usually take 5 hours at the most form the time i pick up the pencil and start sketching. and i'm surprised how much of that time is assembling the comps and details and just submitting the daymn thing.

no1

Patchitect wrote:gee.. i dont have that kind of attention span on a thursday night... mine usually take 5 hours at the most form the time i pick up the pencil and start sketching. and i'm surprised how much of that time is assembling the comps and details and just submitting the daymn thing.

Don't you just paste the design on top of a shirt template?

SkekTek

Patchitect wrote:gee.. i dont have that kind of attention span on a thursday night... mine usually take 5 hours at the most form the time i pick up the pencil and start sketching. and i'm surprised how much of that time is assembling the comps and details and just submitting the daymn thing.

I'd probably be faster and better at designing shirts if I had a better handle on my elements (IE- saving textures, shapes, etc. as a "clip art" library to use in other things). As it is, I find myself having to do a lot of things repeatedly or from scratch.

I also don't have the time, lack of family obligations, and work duties to stay up all night tinkering with things. But I am proud of what I can accomplish with 2-3 hours of good effort. It's just not time enough to have consistently detailed work. Sigh.

I have been to the gates of Underverse though...

SkekTek

no1 wrote:Don't you just paste the design on top of a shirt template?

To do the template, that's the easy part. Then you have to make visually interesting 240 and 600 pixel comps. This usually means pasting from Illustrator to PhotoShop, creating a custom background, and placing small illustrations of the graphic onto men/womens shirts. Then export those as the jpegs for woot. For me, it takes about 20 minutes to do both comp graphics after a design is done.

that wuz teh funneh- usually then I find a flaw with the design, and have to go and redo the whole darn thing!

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

I have no idea what you're talking about. Assembling comps and details is nothing, at least for me. Except in rare cases like Long Cool Woman where the design will work on almost half the available colors, my designs generally work on one or two colors because I design them with a color in mind. Making the designs can take forever--Crash and Burn took me around 12 hours from start to finish because I'm trying to learn Illustrator--but once that's done the rest happens so fast. Maybe that's just me. Takes me up to 20 minutes to make a comp. That's including all the extra time added because my puter is a lame-bot (shh, it's okay, I <3 you puter, please don't get mad at me and die). Then again, I work in Photoshop to assemble those.

PS - Is this a sign that I don't spend enough time on my comps and details?

no1

SkekTek wrote:To do the template, that's the easy part. Then you have to make visually interesting 240 and 600 pixel comps. This usually means pasting from Illustrator to PhotoShop, creating a custom background, and placing small illustrations of the graphic onto men/womens shirts. Then export those as the jpegs for woot. For me, it takes about 20 minutes to do both comp graphics after a design is done.

that wuz teh funneh- usually then I find a flaw with the design, and have to go and redo the whole darn thing!

Meh. "Visually interesting?" "Custom background?" I guess I figure if my design isn't "visually interesting" in the first place, no amount of dressing up in the comp and detail images is going to save it. Usually I just make a print ready .svg in Inkscape, export the whole thing as a 240 px pic and paste as needed into woot's simple template. If the design has teeny-tiny elements I want to show off, I'll also export a 600 px view and a teenier 120 px pic (to paste into a teeny shirt comp view), for use in the 600 px pic.

I guess I've given up hope of winning, so just drawing and submitting the minimum required files, and watching the votes accumulate (hopefully dozens!) are enough for me.

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

no1 wrote:Meh. "Visually interesting?" "Custom background?" I guess I figure if my design isn't "visually interesting" in the first place, no amount of dressing up in the comp and detail images is going to save it. Usually I just make a print ready .svg in Inkscape, export the whole thing as a 240 px pic and paste as needed into woot's simple template. If the design has teeny-tiny elements I want to show off, I'll also export a 600 px view and a teenier 120 px pic (to paste into a teeny shirt comp view), for use in the 600 px pic.

I guess I've given up hope of winning, so just drawing and submitting the minimum required files, and watching the votes accumulate (hopefully dozens!) are enough for me.

I don't think I'll ever give up hope, however I'm resigned that it's mostly a vain hope.

no1

superspryte wrote:I don't think I'll ever give up hope, however I'm resigned that it's mostly a vain hope.

I think you actually have a pretty good shot. You have a good eye, very good drawing skills and you're pretty fast (anyone who can submit on Friday is fast). You put out good stuff, you pretty regularly hit three digits. You just have to be lucky enough to hit on a design subject that catches the fancy of the anonymous shrwooting public.

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

no1 wrote:I think you actually have a pretty good shot. You have a good eye, very good drawing skills and you're pretty fast (anyone who can submit on Friday is fast). You put out good stuff, you pretty regularly hit three digits. You just have to be lucky enough to hit on a design subject that catches the fancy put out of the anonymous shrwooter.

Mroo? Whoa, I'm flattered. Thanks. Yes, I will set a goal to be the first mod winner. It will irritate the natives. Okay, it really has nothing to do with anything but wanting a shirt of mine printed by woot, but nobody but you, me, and the rest of the cyberpub needs to know. ^_~

Schrobblehead

no1 wrote:I wonder how long it takes the Derby Elite to make a typical design. James Cho's and Jimiyo's designs are very detailed. Cho in particular pumps out a lot of quality stuff every week, mabe we should find him a girlfriend.

disregarding the time it took to make pre-made clip art, those designs probably take a looong time (I'd say the predictions of 10+ hours are probably right). I still need to learn how to use lots of the tools in photoshop and someday learn illustrator, but my jack johnson entry took 2-3 on the water alone, then again I'm certainly not one of the elite. maybe the tablet will help cut down on that stuff, since I have been mostly working with the touch pad on my laptop.

SkekTek wrote:I also don't have the time, lack of family obligations, and work duties to stay up all night tinkering with things.

My wife was forgiving when I stayed up late a couple of nights last week, but that won't last. Work will never be forgiving and I already work no less than 50 hours a week.

Schrobblehead

superspryte wrote:Mroo? Whoa, I'm flattered. Thanks. Yes, I will set a goal to be the first mod winner. It will irritate the natives. Okay, it really has nothing to do with anything but wanting a shirt of mine printed by woot, but nobody but you, me, and the rest of the cyberpub needs to know. ^_~

better hit the edit button then... Mordor's spies are everywhere (I know I'm being such a nerd by saying that. lo lz)

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

Schrobblehead wrote:disregarding the time it took to make pre-made clip art, those designs probably take a looong time (I'd say the predictions of 10+ hours are probably right). I still need to learn how to use lots of the tools in photoshop and someday learn illustrator, but my jack johnson entry took 2-3 on the water alone, then again I'm certainly not one of the elite. maybe the tablet will help cut down on that stuff, since I have been mostly working with the touch pad on my laptop.

It's not a prediction; they've said that. The one I wonder about is Edgar. He's such a mystery.

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

Schrobblehead wrote:better hit the edit button then... Mordor's spies are everywhere (I know I'm being such a nerd by saying that. lo lz)

The spies are actually pretty cool. We chat it up every now and then. You know, traded AIM names and stuff. ^_~

no1

Schrobblehead wrote:I have been mostly working with the touch pad on my laptop.

Sir, I tip my hat to you. Amazing!

Schrobblehead

superspryte wrote:It's not a prediction; they've said that. The one I wonder about is Edgar. He's such a mystery.

crazy. Is edgar even real? I swear his name keeps changing. Maybe I just don't know how it is spelled. I thought it was edgarmmcherley, now its edgarrmcherly.