no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
JadenKale wrote:I'd like to know about who feels that if they are just here for the money (which, that's not how I feel, but consistent wins week after week, must be frustrating to others) why not go for a bigger payout?

I'm putting words in other people's mouths, but I think it might be something of a hassle to maintain and promote your own shop. If you just like to draw/design, this is a way to do it, and let woot worry about the logistics, even if you sacrifice a little cash.

JadenKale wrote:Do any of you feel that there should be different levels within the derby?

I think there's fun as an all-comers meet. Quirky alongside the polished.

SkekTek

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek
superspryte wrote:Definitely for fun. And perhaps the challenge of creating a design on such a short timeline.

Me too. It's my hobby. I love designing, drawing, learning Illustrator quirks and tecnhiques. Each week I find something else new that Illustrator does I never knew. Like up to 4 weeks ago, never used a lot of the cutout tools, now I use them all the time (example- the world/sun design I have has the t-shirt coming through the mouth of the earth. Previously I would have used a color on that.

But back to Jaden's comments- I think the really good designers recognize an easy payday when they see it, considering most of the entries are by us folks that are doing it just for fun. What can we do? Can't think of anything at the moment, except get better at designing

no1

I do the Derbies for the free cigarettes that Josephus gives away.

Schrobblehead

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Schrobblehead
no1 wrote:I do the Derbies for the free cigarettes that Josephus gives away.

So where are you 2 doing time?

I'm a Christmas Unicorn! In a uniform made of gold, with a billy-goat beard, and a sorcerer's shield, and mistletoe on my nose!

no1

Schrobblehead wrote:So where are you 2 doing time?

Rura Penthe

geekfactor12

quality posts: 11 Private Messages geekfactor12
JadenKale wrote:So I'm interested in a few things here. I bring the subject to a head, because I'm more interested in people's feelings on who consistently ends up in the fog and gets printed. I'd like to know about who feels that if they are just here for the money (which, that's not how I feel, but consistent wins week after week, must be frustrating to others) why not go for a bigger payout? Do any of you feel that there should be different levels within the derby?

The thing about the derby is, for people with shirts that sell really well you make more money here than you would at other sites. Getting paid $2 per shirt sold is a huuuuuuge chunk of change, and it's not surprising that the payoff attracts talent. If anything, I'm surprised (and somewhat saddened) that more people at that level haven't come to the derby.

My main goal in the derby is to improve and diversify my skills- the fact that this is a weekly contest, with a new theme each week is a huge help in getting me to try new things- my three this week were all done in different styles and with different methods of creation. The possibility of winning is nice too, but I'm not at a level where I can count on that (unless I throw out my principles and pander to the voters every week, which... like most wooters, I don't wish to do that wuz teh funneh).

I dunno, I like when awesome people do awesome work. It doesn't discourage me, it just makes me work harder so that I can be at that level one day. Having different levels or whatever (how would that even work?) would just ruin the derby even more.

superspryte

quality posts: 21 Private Messages superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

SkekTek wrote:Me too. It's my hobby. I love designing, drawing, learning Illustrator quirks and tecnhiques. Each week I find something else new that Illustrator does I never knew. Like up to 4 weeks ago, never used a lot of the cutout tools, now I use them all the time (example- the world/sun design I have has the t-shirt coming through the mouth of the earth. Previously I would have used a color on that.

But back to Jaden's comments- I think the really good designers recognize an easy payday when they see it, considering most of the entries are by us folks that are doing it just for fun. What can we do? Can't think of anything at the moment, except get better at designing

I was referring to those powerhouse designers, although it applies to me too.

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | tg.w: 0 | sp.w: 0 | a.w: 0 | k.w: 0 | s.w: 15 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

Schrobblehead

no1 wrote:Rura Penthe

I'm not understanding you. Are you typing while wearing some sort of tight, two-tone quasi-futuristic sweater? I think it is effecting your typing.

I'm a Christmas Unicorn! In a uniform made of gold, with a billy-goat beard, and a sorcerer's shield, and mistletoe on my nose!

no1

Schrobblehead wrote:I'm not understanding you.

(dammit, this universal translator must be broken...)

no1

PemberDucky wrote:Clever, but I wouldn't want to do that to Edgar. He is just too darn nice, and anything I produce in attempting to mock him would be abysmal and probably an insult to his art.

I had another idiotic idea about this. Invite Edgar! He could be one of the Composite Edgars! Self-parody! Offer a (modest) prize: Spot the real Edgar in the Sea of Edgarwannabes!

Schrobblehead

no1 wrote:I had another idiotic idea about this. Invite Edgar! He could be one of the Composite Edgars! Self-parody! Offer a (modest) prize: Spot the real Edgar in the Sea of Edgarwannabes!

I would participate under those conditions.

dontwantaname

quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

no1 wrote:I had another idiotic idea about this. Invite Edgar! He could be one of the Composite Edgars! Self-parody! Offer a (modest) prize: Spot the real Edgar in the Sea of Edgarwannabes!

Go look at the side deal in shirt.
One of the shirts looks like it might be Edgar.
I'm I crazy?

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

no1

I just now noticed that Josephus and jimiyo joined woot within 8 days of each other.

Not important, just a "huh" moment for me.

Schrobblehead

dontwantaname wrote:Go look at the side deal in shirt.
I'm I crazy?

which one are you referring to? CYHSY? I don't think that's him.

SkekTek

no1 wrote:Rura Penthe

Not Rura Penthe! To get out of there, I'd have to kiss Imam being James T Kirk! Ewwwww...

SkekTek

dontwantaname wrote:Go look at the side deal in shirt.
I'm I crazy?

Yeah... you are

Actually, Rilo Kiley is on there. The ones that had a video from their song "It's a Hit". The video with a critter called a Unipine. The critter that is a weird porcupine with a narwhal horn sticking out of its back.

I can't avoid them... Rilo Kiley is everywhere! Damn you Schrobblehead!!!!

Schrobblehead

SkekTek wrote:Yeah... you are

Actually, Rilo Kiley is on there. The ones that had a video from their song "It's a Hit". The video with a critter called a Unipine. The critter that is a weird porcupine with a narwhal horn sticking out of its back.

I can't avoid them... Rilo Kiley is everywhere! Damn you Schrobblehead!!!!

lo-l

SkekTek

Patchitect

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Patchitect

Patchitect

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Patchitect
SkekTek wrote:

what a little prick.....

Schrobblehead

Patchitect wrote:what a little prick.....

roflmao. Rilo Kiley must had a real impression on Skek. Just don't tell him there are lots of Rilo Kiley videos on youtube

JadenKale

quality posts: 181 Private Messages JadenKale

Thanks for all the comments on my long winded post guys. I just put the idea out there because 1, I was bored, and 2 because I thought it might get you guys to get a little conversation out here. I really have been interested about people's position on such things.

SkekTek

Schrobblehead wrote:roflmao. Rilo Kiley must had a real impression on Skek. Just don't tell him there are lots of Rilo Kiley videos on youtube

There might be, but not with the little cute guy with the big spike.

Schrobblehead

JadenKale wrote:Thanks for all the comments on my long winded post guys. I just put the idea out there because 1, I was bored, and 2 because I thought it might get you guys to get a little conversation out here. I really have been interested about people's position on such things.

Were you serious about the levels, or just trying to get a rise out of people? I would be all for that for a monkey prize (or something other than getting to have your shirt printed), but how would you judge who gets to submit for the b-league? If people were only in it for the money they might not submit one for it, but I doubt it would be strictly amateurs.

Schrobblehead

SkekTek wrote:There might be, but not with the little cute guy with the big spike.

true.

SkekTek

JadenKale wrote:Thanks for all the comments on my long winded post guys. I just put the idea out there because 1, I was bored, and 2 because I thought it might get you guys to get a little conversation out here. I really have been interested about people's position on such things.

Here are some interesting derby themes woot could try:

1) Stick figure derby
2) Design for your grandma derby
3) Woot-themed derby (c'mon woot, let's design for YOU)
4) Specific color of t-shirt derby (design for orange, for instance. Anything).
5) Charity derby. Each entrant makes a design for their favorite charity. Winners get $100 donation in the name of woot to that charity
6) Ode to a body part derby.
7) Stuffed animal derby
8) Cartoon/Anime derby
9) Make fun of the profession of your choice derby
10) Make fun of the shirt.woot designer of your choice derby

SkekTek

Schrobblehead wrote:Were you serious about the levels, or just trying to get a rise out of people? I would be all for that for a monkey prize (or something other than getting to have your shirt printed), but how would you judge who gets to submit for the b-league? If people were only in it for the money they might not submit one for it, but I doubt it would be strictly amateurs.

I still want a 4th derby shirt instead of one of the lame dailies- Woot chooses an editor's choice out of all remaining entrants to print.

Schrobblehead

SkekTek wrote:I still want a 4th derby shirt instead of one of the lame dailies- Woot chooses an editor's choice out of all remaining entrants to print.

There's a decent idea. I have bought some of the dailies, but woot frequently sells less of them than the derby winners, and one of those I bought was an editor's choice (eating healthy) which is still my favorite.

SkekTek

Schrobblehead wrote:There's a decent idea. I have bought some of the dailies, but woot frequently sells less of them than the derby winners, and one of those I bought was an editor's choice (eating healthy) which is still my favorite.

Trying to think if I ever bought a daily. Don't think so. But I did get Cho's comparative size editor's choice.

geekfactor12

SkekTek wrote:I still want a 4th derby shirt instead of one of the lame dailies- Woot chooses an editor's choice out of all remaining entrants to print.

The thing about that I'm not so crazy about is that it would mean 4 shirts a week of the same theme. For derbies like song lyrics, it's not a huge deal. But for a leap day derby? Yikes!

JadenKale

SkekTek wrote:Here are some interesting derby themes woot could try:

1) Stick figure derby
2) Design for your grandma derby
3) Woot-themed derby (c'mon woot, let's design for YOU)
4) Specific color of t-shirt derby (design for orange, for instance. Anything).
5) Charity derby. Each entrant makes a design for their favorite charity. Winners get $100 donation in the name of woot to that charity
6) Ode to a body part derby.
7) Stuffed animal derby
8) Cartoon/Anime derby
9) Make fun of the profession of your choice derby
10) Make fun of the shirt.woot designer of your choice derby

1) Stick figure derby <--- funny! I'd like to see how Cho and Jimiyo would do with this idea
2) Design for your grandma derby <--- Edgar. Instant win ^_~
3) Woot-themed derby (c'mon woot, let's design for YOU) <--- I wonder if we'd ever see this day.
4) Specific color of t-shirt derby (design for orange, for instance. Anything). <--- Totally on board with this one.
5) Charity derby. Each entrant makes a design for their favorite charity. Winners get $100 donation in the name of woot to that charity <--- I love this idea too.
6) Ode to a body part derby. <--- how many odes to breasts and everything phallic would we see?
7) Stuffed animal derby <-- All over this baby!!! Although I see Fable winning this one.
8) Cartoon/Anime derby <--- I'd love to do this one too.
9) Make fun of the profession of your choice derby <--- eh.... I could comfortably sit out that week. I'd want to curse.
10) Make fun of the shirt.woot designer of your choice derby <--- would this turn into a positive thing or an outrageously negative thing? I could see some designers with decent parodies (like edgar, cho, fable) then I could see it getting ugly in the lower entries like certain people just flat out attacking artists.

SkekTek

JadenKale wrote:1) Stick figure derby <--- funny! I'd like to see how Cho and Jimiyo would do with this idea
2) Design for your grandma derby <--- Edgar. Instant win ^_~
3) Woot-themed derby (c'mon woot, let's design for YOU) <--- I wonder if we'd ever see this day.
4) Specific color of t-shirt derby (design for orange, for instance. Anything). <--- Totally on board with this one.
5) Charity derby. Each entrant makes a design for their favorite charity. Winners get $100 donation in the name of woot to that charity <--- I love this idea too.
6) Ode to a body part derby. <--- how many odes to breasts and everything phallic would we see?
7) Stuffed animal derby <-- All over this baby!!! Although I see Fable winning this one.
8) Cartoon/Anime derby <--- I'd love to do this one too.
9) Make fun of the profession of your choice derby <--- eh.... I could comfortably sit out that week. I'd want to curse.
10) Make fun of the shirt.woot designer of your choice derby <--- would this turn into a positive thing or an outrageously negative thing? I could see some designers with decent parodies (like edgar, cho, fable) then I could see it getting ugly in the lower entries like certain people just flat out attacking artists.

Wow... guess I hit on some good ones. You got the idea I had with #1 precisely. It'd make people really think about what they wanted to convey in the simplest form (IE- the clothing and situation of the stick figures). 9 and 10 were mainly joke ideas, because they'd all be attack-based. And #6 would have to be a non-sexual body part (okay, a G-rated body part, since everything can possibly be sexual to someone). Ought to send this list to Joel...

JadenKale

Schrobblehead wrote:Were you serious about the levels, or just trying to get a rise out of people? I would be all for that for a monkey prize (or something other than getting to have your shirt printed), but how would you judge who gets to submit for the b-league? If people were only in it for the money they might not submit one for it, but I doubt it would be strictly amateurs.

not attempting to get any 'rise' out of people. But there are some designers that consistently come to the table with a higher level of design under their belts. I think it's great that we see quality work week to week. But I think there could be a monkey prize for 'good try' and maybe we'd see it as a daily sometime.I think there could possibly be a 'b' league depending on how you entered the contest (have the same derby theme but enter it into a class 1 or class 2 category (1 would get paid a higher amount than 2 but it would allow a better opportunity to be seen or possibly win.) But, this could create a huge mass of complaints "this artist is too good to be in class 2" "class 1 is getting too many crappy designs submitted".... so I could see this being a huge negative. Eh, maybe it's not a good idea. I just put it out there because very rarely do I ever see that idea explored here.

JadenKale

SkekTek wrote:Wow... guess I hit on some good ones. You got the idea I had with #1 precisely. It'd make people really think about what they wanted to convey in the simplest form (IE- the clothing and situation of the stick figures). 9 and 10 were mainly joke ideas, because they'd all be attack-based. And #6 would have to be a non-sexual body part (okay, a G-rated body part, since everything can possibly be sexual to someone). Ought to send this list to Joel...

I think there is a thread about this already. Ask Attila. That's how her derby theme got chosen for this week.

no1

JadenKale wrote:not attempting to get any 'rise' out of people. But there are some designers that consistently come to the table with a higher level of design under their belts. I think it's great that we see quality work week to week. But I think there could be a monkey prize for 'good try' and maybe we'd see it as a daily sometime.I think there could possibly be a 'b' league depending on how you entered the contest (have the same derby theme but enter it into a class 1 or class 2 category (1 would get paid a higher amount than 2 but it would allow a better opportunity to be seen or possibly win.) But, this could create a huge mass of complaints "this artist is too good to be in class 2" "class 1 is getting too many crappy designs submitted".... so I could see this being a huge negative. Eh, maybe it's not a good idea. I just put it out there because very rarely do I ever see that idea explored here.

No levels, just give out editor's HMs.

geekfactor12

JadenKale wrote:not attempting to get any 'rise' out of people. But there are some designers that consistently come to the table with a higher level of design under their belts. I think it's great that we see quality work week to week. But I think there could be a monkey prize for 'good try' and maybe we'd see it as a daily sometime.I think there could possibly be a 'b' league depending on how you entered the contest (have the same derby theme but enter it into a class 1 or class 2 category (1 would get paid a higher amount than 2 but it would allow a better opportunity to be seen or possibly win.) But, this could create a huge mass of complaints "this artist is too good to be in class 2" "class 1 is getting too many crappy designs submitted".... so I could see this being a huge negative. Eh, maybe it's not a good idea. I just put it out there because very rarely do I ever see that idea explored here.

I think printing overlooked designs and designers is what Editor's Choice and the Best Of derby were supposed to achieve. Sort of a similar idea, but Woot tackled it from a different angle. I'd like to see more stuff along those lines, though, because it keeps artists from being cheap with their concepts (only doing ideas they know Woot likes, which gets a bit dull).

JadenKale

geekfactor12 wrote:I think printing overlooked designs and designers is what Editor's Choice and the Best Of derby were supposed to achieve. Sort of a similar idea, but Woot tackled it from a different angle. I'd like to see more stuff along those lines, though, because it keeps artists from being cheap with their concepts (only doing ideas they know Woot likes, which gets a bit dull).

I've only seen an 'Editor's Choice' done once... and that ended up being a Cho shirt.

Actually, one of the benefits of cho winning so often is that we have a better chance of one of our other designs winning in a 'Best Of' derby L O L. It is so difficult competing with that level sometimes. It was stressful during the Water Derby. Hopefully, they choose to do a Best Of during the weekend of Easter. I don't want to try and entertain guests AND do an entry that Thursday.

JadenKale

no1 wrote:No levels, just give out editor's HMs.

I like this idea. But what will they do? give us a $5 coupon towards a shirt order? We already get free shipping.

SkekTek

JadenKale wrote:I've only seen an 'Editor's Choice' done once... and that ended up being a Cho shirt.

Actually, one of the benefits of cho winning so often is that we have a better chance of one of our other designs winning in a 'Best Of' derby L O L. It is so difficult competing with that level sometimes. It was stressful during the Water Derby. Hopefully, they choose to do a Best Of during the weekend of Easter. I don't want to try and entertain guests AND do an entry that Thursday.

Water derby... I came so close...

geekfactor12

JadenKale wrote:I've only seen an 'Editor's Choice' done once... and that ended up being a Cho shirt.

There was a whole week of Editor's Choice, including stuff by Gentry, Damiendone and Cheesesandwich.