jqubed

quality posts: 7 Private Messages jqubed
zea3 wrote:Whoo-hoo!

How's things at work?

tiring, as usual... i've seen another PT position open up, more towards what I want to do, so I think I might apply for it... and I can probably work that with my current job so I'll have FT hours between the two and get FT benefits. I'm going to ask my supervisor about it.

I should be working on German HW, but I'm tired so I think I'll go to bed momentarily

ⅉℚ Seventh Annual Woot! Bracketology | I'm Quality Peoples!

Skye — 1997-2007

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 543 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Ok, done watching TV with son. I'll watch Dances at bedtime. Maisy is walked. Me time.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

zea3

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zea3
jqubed wrote:tiring, as usual... i've seen another PT position open up, more towards what I want to do, so I think I might apply for it... and I can probably work that with my current job so I'll have FT hours between the two and get FT benefits. I'm going to ask my supervisor about it.

I should be working on German HW, but I'm tired so I think I'll go to bed momentarily

Don't burn yourself out! Brains need a little down time to function adequately.

pooflady

quality posts: 20 Private Messages pooflady

D'name, why aren't you thinking of chinchillas? Are there a downside to them? I don't remember who has them now, but if they live 10 years, isn't that better?

Just cleaned my keyboard. I'm not real impressed with compressed air.

When I was a kid I wanted to be older, this CRAP is NOT what I expected.

jqubed

zea3 wrote:Don't burn yourself out! Brains need a little down time to function adequately.

I'm also going to have to talk to one of my DJs at the radio station... he played 8 songs by the same group over a 4 hour shift last week. I know it's his favorite group, but that's far too excessive. I'll probably put him on a formal warning for that, because it's been growing in the past couple months. I don't think I've ever been on terrific terms with him, though, so I don't think this is going to be very fun. not the management side of things I was wanting to do. I'm trying to figure out the most constructive way to handle it. I don't want to ban the group outright, but he can't keep playing them that much. kinda stressing on that.

Skye — 1997-2007

ThunderThighs

Staff

pooflady wrote:D'name, why aren't you thinking of chinchillas? Are there a downside to them? I don't remember who has them now, but if they live 10 years, isn't that better?

I've been seriously thinking about a hedgehog but they don't live as long. A chinchilla would be cool too I bet.

Did you turn your keyboard upside down? I use compressed air to dust my desk and stuff at work.

CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

jqubed

pooflady wrote:D'name, why aren't you thinking of chinchillas? Are there a downside to them? I don't remember who has them now, but if they live 10 years, isn't that better?

i find it's most effective if I have a vacuum running at the other end to help capture the stuff the air is blasting out... you know, use the little wand attachment

Skye — 1997-2007

dontwantaname

quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

KtCallista wrote:They have rats in her preschool class, and a guinea pig, and a bunny, and fish. She gets to go ride my cousin's pony (horse died last year) when the weather is nicer, yet we still don't have any pets.

Rats? Really? With the short life span, I would be reluctant to have rats.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

pooflady

daj59 wrote:I've been seriously thinking about a hedgehog but they don't live as long. A chinchilla would be cool too I bet.

Did you turn your keyboard upside down? I use compressed air to dust my desk and stuff at work.

Yeah, turning it upside down and shaking it worked better than the compressed air. Still some crumbs left, but the compressed air didn't get them out. What do you clean your keys with?

tall4agirl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tall4agirl

Just wanted to let everyone know we made it to Vegas safe and sound. Time to gamble!!!!

pooflady

tall4agirl wrote:Just wanted to let everyone know we made it to Vegas safe and sound. Time to gamble!!!!

Woo-hooooooo!!! Wish I was there!!! Good luck.

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

They don't seem to know people like the rats.
They are very soft and cute.
A dog would be the next step. Rats know people the way dogs do.
But, big or small, mutt or pure...ugh!

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

pooflady

dontwantaname wrote:They don't seem to know people like the rats.

Medium mutt.

ThunderThighs

Staff

jqubed wrote:I'm also going to have to talk to one of my DJs at the radio station... he played 8 songs by the same group over a 4 hour shift last week. I know it's his favorite group, but that's far too excessive. I'll probably put him on a formal warning for that, because it's been growing in the past couple months. I don't think I've ever been on terrific terms with him, though, so I don't think this is going to be very fun. not the management side of things I was wanting to do. I'm trying to figure out the most constructive way to handle it. I don't want to ban the group outright, but he can't keep playing them that much. kinda stressing on that.

If it's a first warning, I try to think how I would want my boss to address me in regards to the problem. After that, I get more direct with exact expectations followed up in email for record. After that, it's in writing in his/her file.

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

jqubed wrote:tiring, as usual... i've seen another PT position open up, more towards what I want to do, so I think I might apply for it... and I can probably work that with my current job so I'll have FT hours between the two and get FT benefits. I'm going to ask my supervisor about it.

Well, if you aren't doing HW, at least go to sleep!

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

zea3

jqubed wrote:I'm also going to have to talk to one of my DJs at the radio station... he played 8 songs by the same group over a 4 hour shift last week. I know it's his favorite group, but that's far too excessive. I'll probably put him on a formal warning for that, because it's been growing in the past couple months. I don't think I've ever been on terrific terms with him, though, so I don't think this is going to be very fun. not the management side of things I was wanting to do. I'm trying to figure out the most constructive way to handle it. I don't want to ban the group outright, but he can't keep playing them that much. kinda stressing on that.

Never fun to be the "bad guy". Don't stress over it too much. If you think he's the type to get nasty, you may want to consider having some back-up available. He's got to understand that it's not professional to treat the play list like his personal ipod.

ThunderThighs

Staff

pooflady wrote:Yeah, turning it upside down and shaking it worked better than the compressed air. Still some crumbs left, but the compressed air didn't get them out. What do you clean your keys with?

I turn it upside down and blow with compressed air. There are been some so bad at the schools that I acutally had to run paper or something between the keys to move the gunk to one end of the keyboard and then work it out. As far as swabbing down the keys, I usually use a disenfectant wipe because they're not so wet that they'll drip inside the keyboard. Best to do that when your computer is off though so you're not hitting keys wildly in some program.

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

pooflady wrote:Medium mutt.

With no pit bull. Hard to find. It looks like every mutt is part pit bull now. I think I see three on the block. All owned by younger guys. One, who likes me, is a biter of other dogs.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

ThunderThighs

Staff

dontwantaname wrote:They don't seem to know people like the rats.

Small rescue mutt. Or a greyhound rescue.

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

tall4agirl wrote:Just wanted to let everyone know we made it to Vegas safe and sound. Time to gamble!!!!

We? You didn't invite us.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

pooflady

dontwantaname wrote:With no pit bull. Hard to find. It looks like every mutt is part pit bull now. I think I see three on the block. All owned by younger guys. One, who likes me, is a biter of other dogs.

Aw, c'mon. Surely the SPCA has mutts that don't have any pitt bull in them.

zea3

dontwantaname wrote:With no pit bull. Hard to find. It looks like every mutt is part pit bull now. I think I see three on the block. All owned by younger guys. One, who likes me, is a biter of other dogs.

Have you visited the animal adoption days at Petco or Petsmart? The rescue groups usually have pretty good information on the animals available.

ThunderThighs

Staff

pooflady wrote:Aw, c'mon. Surely the SPCA has mutts that don't have any pitt bull in them.

Yes they will but are usually evaluated to make sure they're adoptable.

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

zea3 wrote:Have you visited the animal adoption days at Petco or Petsmart? The rescue groups usually have pretty good information on the animals available.

That isn't a problem
I live near North Shore Animal League
The town facility is a few blocks from them.
A sister in law has a neighbor who runs a rescue too.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

zea3

dontwantaname wrote:That isn't a problem
I live near North Shore Animal League
The town facility is a few blocks from them.
A sister in law has a neighbor who runs a rescue too.

If you really are ready for a dog, they could probably find one for you without any pit bull or other aggressive breed mixes.

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

daj59 wrote:Yes they will but are usually evaluated to make sure they're adoptable.

The biter came from the SPCA. He is fine with people, even little kids.
Not dogs.
Bit a teenager, but this is a kid that has had the cops called on him by his own parents....in other words, the kid deserved it. I'm more worried about the dogs. He always started it. Plus he is always on the leash and yet still managed to bite a few dogs.
Plus now I see a pit bull off the leash across the street with a 20 something year old guy. I'm not sure he lives there, or just visits.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

ThunderThighs

Staff

dontwantaname wrote:The biter came from the SPCA. He is fine with people, even little kids.
Not dogs.
Bit a teenager, but this is a kid that has had the cops called on him by his own parents....in other words, the kid deserved it. I'm more worried about the dogs. He always started it. Plus he is always on the leash and yet still managed to bite a few dogs.
Plus now I see a pit bull off the leash across the street with a 20 something year old guy. I'm not sure he lives there, or just visits.

Fred, the bestest dog in the whole wide world, even had moments when he'd be a bonehead to another dog. Mostly happened when he was on leash. He was more territorial when he was on leash. Same with Maisy & Trixie.

KtCallista

quality posts: 33 Private Messages KtCallista
daj59 wrote:Fred, the bestest dog in the whole wide world, even had moments when he'd be a bonehead to another dog. Mostly happened when he was on leash. He was more territorial when he was on leash. Same with Maisy & Trixie.

Sammy was a dingo/mutt and was a great loyal dog who never hurt anyone, dog or human.

Beware the V'owls screech!

jqubed

zea3 wrote:He's got to understand that it's not professional to treat the play list like his personal ipod.

that's exactly the point... basically the same thing is in the manual. he'll probably counter that he has a large base nationwide who tune in for it (which may or may not be true), but i'm going to try and counter that he should all the more so try to expand their musical tastes and introduce them to new groups instead of playing the same one over and over again... if they really like the group, they'll get their album and download the available concerts, which is where he seems to be pulling a lot of his music from anyway.

Skye — 1997-2007

jqubed

daj59 wrote:If it's a first warning, I try to think how I would want my boss to address me in regards to the problem. After that, I get more direct with exact expectations followed up in email for record. After that, it's in writing in his/her file.

yeah... I don't really want to make this too formal since it's the first time I'll be discussing it with him, and I don't want to take it to the step of banning the group (which the advisor suggested), though I probably will to some extent mention that she also wanted me to remind him that we have DJs ready to take his shift. I'm not one to rule with an iron fist, though, and want to leave the DJs largely to their own devices.

Skye — 1997-2007

zea3

jqubed wrote:that's exactly the point... basically the same thing is in the manual. he'll probably counter that he has a large base nationwide who tune in for it (which may or may not be true), but i'm going to try and counter that he should all the more so try to expand their musical tastes and introduce them to new groups instead of playing the same one over and over again... if they really like the group, they'll get their album and download the available concerts, which is where he seems to be pulling a lot of his music from anyway.

Most people who are that into a group listen to their own collection when they are in the mood for it. Even the biggest fan doesn't want to hear them 24/7. After all, how many all Elvis and all Beatle stations have survived very long with that type of format. You can't say they tanked because there wasn't a fan base for them! If he keeps it up, people will get tired of it and tune out. He may have a large base, but I bet it is not growing. He may be able to pull in enough new listeners to replace the ones who are tuning out. Non-profit or Clear Channel, the goal is to grow, not maintain.

pooflady

jqubed wrote:that's exactly the point... basically the same thing is in the manual. he'll probably counter that he has a large base nationwide who tune in for it (which may or may not be true), but i'm going to try and counter that he should all the more so try to expand their musical tastes and introduce them to new groups instead of playing the same one over and over again... if they really like the group, they'll get their album and download the available concerts, which is where he seems to be pulling a lot of his music from anyway.

Possibly people tuning out who don't like that group?

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

KtCallista wrote:Sammy was a dingo/mutt and was a great loyal dog who never hurt anyone, dog or human.

I figure as a first time owner, I'm better off with a breed that wasn't breed to be agressive.

This would be easy if it wasn't for the dog hair.
I really like shepherds, but they are just hair monsters! No matter how much you brush them.
Plus, they are strong.

Why not someone just send me their dog through the computer? I'll take it for a walk and send it back!

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

zea3 wrote:Most people who are that into a group listen to their own collection when they are in the mood for it. Even the biggest fan doesn't want to hear them 24/7. After all, how many all Elvis and all Beatle stations have survived very long with that type of format. You can't say they tanked because there wasn't a fan base for them! If he keeps it up, people will get tired of it and tune out. He may have a large base, but I bet it is not growing. He may be able to pull in enough new listeners to replace the ones who are tuning out. Non-profit or Clear Channel, the goal is to grow, not maintain.

How do you know how many listeners you have?
It is the internet. Is there a way to count?

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

jqubed

pooflady wrote:Possibly people tuning out who don't like that group?

i suspect so... i definitely did before i joined the station... i'm getting to... tolerate them now... but i've never heard anyone say, "hey, it's great that he's playing them so much", but i have heard a few people say, "does that even fit the format?" (debatable, but I'm leaning toward yes, on the basis of others' opinions). i'm trying to keep my personal taste from clouding this, though.

Skye — 1997-2007

ThunderThighs

Staff

dontwantaname wrote:I figure as a first time owner, I'm better off with a breed that wasn't breed to be agressive.

This would be easy if it wasn't for the dog hair.
I really like shepherds, but they are just hair monsters! No matter how much you brush them.
Plus, they are strong.

Why not someone just send me their dog through the computer? I'll take it for a walk and send it back!

Sorry, all I get could get Maisy to do was lick the screen. She wouldn't go through.

zea3

dontwantaname wrote:How do you know how many listeners you have?
It is the internet. Is there a way to count?

Someone more computer savy could probably answer this better, but I believe they can track how many IP addresses are streaming the broadcast over the internet.

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

daj59 wrote:Sorry, all I get could get Maisy to do was lick the screen. She wouldn't go through.

Oh well. You tried.
It also pisses me off that there is noplace on long island that it is legal to let your dog run off leash.
No wonder they are all mad all the time!
Anyplace it would be fun to take a dog, the dog isn't allowed.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

jqubed wrote:i suspect so... i definitely did before i joined the station... i'm getting to... tolerate them now... but i've never heard anyone say, "hey, it's great that he's playing them so much", but i have heard a few people say, "does that even fit the format" (debatable, but I'm leaning toward yes, on the basis of others opinions). i'm trying to keep my personal taste from clouding this, though.

Tell him/her what they would in the real world. It does't fit the format to play it that much.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

zea3

dontwantaname wrote:Oh well. You tried.
It also pisses me off that there is noplace on long island that it is legal to let your dog run off leash.
No wonder they are all mad all the time!
Anyplace it would be fun to take a dog, the dog isn't allowed.

Are any of these near you?