cejeff05

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cejeff05

I love this shirt!! It not only is wearable, but it captures the theme perfect!! C'mon people - let's get this shirt into the FOG!!!

cejeff05

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cejeff05

This definitely deserves to make it to the FOG. I'll keep my fingers crossed...

superspryte

quality posts: 21 Private Messages superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

cejeff05 wrote:This definitely deserves to make it to the FOG. I'll keep my fingers crossed...

Any reason your caps lock breaks when you type "fog" in your posts?

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | tg.w: 0 | sp.w: 0 | a.w: 0 | k.w: 0 | s.w: 15 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

dasmonkeyboy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dasmonkeyboy

[quote postid="2032237" user="SailorButterfly"]If that's just a colorized photo, woot won't be able to print it. :-/[/quotDrag into Photoshop and do a cutout filter on it...

Good concept, funny...

artulo

quality posts: 13 Private Messages artulo
Re: Totemic

Looks great! Good use of color and some smooth linework.

mjc613

quality posts: 47 Private Messages mjc613

YES!!!!!!
This is what this derby needs!

JadenKale

quality posts: 179 Private Messages JadenKale

I was inspired by the totem poles in Stanley Park in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. The three animals depicted are an eagle, a beaver, and a frog holding the sun. I found a little snippet about the eagle and the frog on another site about some of the symbolism:
The Eagle
It is claimed that the Eagle was the most powerful and useful because it could fly higher than any other bird, detect trouble at great distance and tell the chief to be ready.

The Frog
One legend says, when Earth was born the Sun was in the bottom of the lake. The world was dark. Thunderbird wanted to bring sun into the sky but could not hold his breath to the bottom of the sea. this Frog with long arms brought sun to the surface so Thunderbird could bring Sun into the sky.

The beaver is there due to a totem I saw called the beaver crest pole.

Please vote for the totem

JadenKale

mjc613 wrote:YES!!!!!!
This is what this derby needs!

artulo wrote:Looks great! Good use of color and some smooth linework.

Thanks guys! I'm glad you like it. I really put some effort into the three animals.

dasmonkeyboy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dasmonkeyboy
Re: Poser

Thanks for laugh...

GMV

Beefcoat

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Beefcoat

Sorry! had a bunch of papers due yesterday so its a bit late.

Who does that mallard think he's kidding?

sigaru

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sigaru

yes, it probably is in fourth. that's what it says in the "derby contenders" post, at least. but you can never tell, because it also says that the foofoo shirt came in third, although today it is for sale. so you never know.

not really trying to insult you, it's just that you put up a big [huge] argument, and i was just trying to say that i didn't want to argue and fight about it, i was just suggesting. and if i wanted it so badly, i could buy some iron-on paper and print out the design and make it myself. or something else along those lines. it wouldn't be that difficult. [also, i tried suggesting to fable that she bring it to that website that prints losing shirts, but she hasn't responded to it yet.]

Sachmoe64

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Sachmoe64
mjc613 wrote:I like it and I voted for it. Welcome to Woot!

thanks!

punkfiveo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages punkfiveo
Re: living in Canada cost more

this isn't really true anymore. the canadian dollar is worth more than the US dollar.

daedalusknight

quality posts: 1 Private Messages daedalusknight
sigaru wrote: [also, i tried suggesting to fable that she bring it to that website that prints losing shirts, but she hasn't responded to it yet.]

What site is doing that?

easeandgrace

quality posts: 0 Private Messages easeandgrace

Wow. What a wonderful shirt. I spent two years as a child with one of the Native tribes in Southeast Alaska. This shirt is very evocative of that area.

geekfactor12

quality posts: 11 Private Messages geekfactor12
daedalusknight wrote:What site is doing that?

I think Sigaru is referring to Best Losers, but they don't print anything- they just link to places (like Bountee, Cafepress or Spreadshirt) where artists are making their own derby designs available for purchase.

bluchez

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bluchez
Re: FonzEhhh

I have smuggled out another behind the scenes photo of the woot staff in test prints:

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

bluchez wrote:I have smuggled out another behind the scenes photo of the woot staff in test prints:

Wow, he got scrawny since the previous photo.

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | tg.w: 0 | sp.w: 0 | a.w: 0 | k.w: 0 | s.w: 15 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

daedalusknight

quality posts: 1 Private Messages daedalusknight
geekfactor12 wrote:I think Sigaru is referring to Best Losers, but they don't print anything- they just link to places (like Bountee, Cafepress or Spreadshirt) where artists are making their own derby designs available for purchase.

Oh... whew! I completely misunderstood that for a moment. I thought someplace was printing shirts without permission. Thanks for the clarification. :-)

brizz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages brizz
mihalis aya wrote:lots of words.

I think discussion of theme parameters and what constitutes "off topic" is entirely relevant in entry threads.

Last I checked the button is labeled "add a comment" - not "praise this entry and/or offer encouragement to the designer"

RobertStumbaugh

quality posts: 0 Private Messages RobertStumbaugh
Re: Fireweed - Flower of the Yukon

I don't like the leaves at the bottom of the plant. It seems like there should be more detail to them or something. The flowers are emerging from the plant not only from the sides but some are pointed at you and away from you. The leaves might have looked cool if they were the same way instead of simply growing out from the sides.

The stem is kinda boring as a single think line. The lighter pink might have worked well to highlight the stem in some way.

I really like the flowers though, thats what makes this shirt good. What programs did you use to create them? Did you use a tablet?

RobGlenn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages RobGlenn
tgentry wrote:Great idea and well executed! Does anyone know if the little words will print clearly?

Thanks for the kind words.

Based on the pictures buyers have send in of very detailed shirts (Alice Painting Caterpillar & Dead Man’s Chest in particular, they looked awesome) woot is doing a great job printing details. The small type is 11.3 point Helvetica Bold which really isn't all that small, it just looks tiny in the comp.

Also thanks to everyone for all of the compliments and encouragement. Reading the thread today put a smile on my face... I only hope I can put a put a Canadian Periodic Table on your chest.

bluchez

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bluchez
superspryte wrote:Wow, he got scrawny since the previous photo.

which one is that?

RobertStumbaugh

mihalis aya wrote:Okay, I suppose that's true sometimes.

Wow I'm bored. I actually read that entire arguement.

RobertStumbaugh

geekfactor12 wrote:Joel and the other Woot guys are, as we all know, huge fans of distressing- so they printed this up the second it was submitted:

whoever joel is he must have a HUGE walk in closet because he owns so many of these submissions

AttilaTheMom

quality posts: 5 Private Messages AttilaTheMom
Re: Ogopogo (Canadian Lake Monster)

yay! my very first vote from korea! congrats blu, nicely done. btw, ubuntu linux ROCKS.

AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH........ whatever.

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

bluchez wrote:which one is that?

I dunno, since the GF ones?

JadenKale

easeandgrace wrote:Wow. What a wonderful shirt. I spent two years as a child with one of the Native tribes in Southeast Alaska. This shirt is very evocative of that area.

Thanks easeandgrace! I really wanted someone to be able to see the design from that aspect ( l o l would have been more poignant if you had spent time with a tribe in Canada, but I get the point) Thanks for the vote!

brizz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages brizz
RagsLax4 wrote:ugh no element for lacrosse

Lacrosse originated from a Native American game - most commonly played in what became the American Southeast - though other tribes played it as well in New york and southern Ontario. Canadians first adapted it in Quebec in the 1840s - but it was an indigenous American game

greenrobots

quality posts: 0 Private Messages greenrobots
Re: Patriotic Pancakes

I can't believe people aren't voting for this. So sad, I wants it.

Andy47240

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Andy47240

Verry nice illustration Beefcoat.
-Andy

Jemmacakes

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Jemmacakes

I worked with some folks of the Tlingit (sounds like "cling it") tribe many years ago.

Very nice shirt.

bnp4106

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bnp4106
enin wrote:thank you

I've been watching the derbies since I found about them when my girlfriend showed them to me (sokowa). This is the first shirt that I've seen that I would buy and wear.

mihalis aya

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mihalis aya
RobertStumbaugh wrote:I don't like the leaves at the bottom of the plant. It seems like there should be more detail to them or something. The flowers are emerging from the plant not only from the sides but some are pointed at you and away from you. The leaves might have looked cool if they were the same way instead of simply growing out from the sides.

The stem is kinda boring as a single think line. The lighter pink might have worked well to highlight the stem in some way.

I really like the flowers though, thats what makes this shirt good. What programs did you use to create them? Did you use a tablet?

Thanks for the crit. Very helpful, and exactly the sort of crit I was talking about.

I tried to get the leaves to do a more realistic take, pointing in multiple directions, but every version I came up with looked dumb. I settled on the slightly less dumb-looking-but-less-logical leaves you see here. After I submitted I played around a bit with highlighting the stem more; there are actually 4 different purple/pinks in the flowers, and some highlights on the stem. They didn't show up well (the lighter purple used is only a shade off the darker), and I'll remember to use a more obvious one next time.

I used photoshop 7, and a 3x5" wacom tablet that's about 8 years old. The whole mess got run through vectormagic.com, but it didn't make any noticable difference.

RobertStumbaugh

mihalis aya wrote:Thanks for the crit. Very helpful, and exactly the sort of crit I was talking about.

I tried to get the leaves to do a more realistic take, pointing in multiple directions, but every version I came up with looked dumb. I settled on the slightly less dumb-looking-but-less-logical leaves you see here. After I submitted I played around a bit with highlighting the stem more; there are actually 4 different purple/pinks in the flowers, and some highlights on the stem. They didn't show up well (the lighter purple used is only a shade off the darker), and I'll remember to use a more obvious one next time.

I used photoshop 7, and a 3x5" wacom tablet that's about 8 years old. The whole mess got run through vectormagic.com, but it didn't make any noticable difference.

vectormagic.com is amazing.

artulo

Re: Be a Mountie

A very warm thank you to everyone for your comments and votes to my first fogged entry! It's really quite appreciated, and I will enjoy this for some time to come.

artulo

Re: Canadian Bobcat

Is a Canadian Bobcat the same as a lynx? Either way, this is cool and I love the colors. You have a good eye for design, Cheesesandwich!

bethebike

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bethebike

For all of the negative comments about how simple the "Grow" design is, I could comment that this design probably took you less than 5 minutes, but I won't be that presumptuous.

RobertStumbaugh

Re: Patriotic Pancakes

sry but i copied your thing where you use joel as a model. i hope you dont mind.

BigKuntry

quality posts: 0 Private Messages BigKuntry

This is my second attempt at the derby...

Any comments / feedback / constructive criticism is greatly appreciated...

thx