superspryte

quality posts: 21 Private Messages superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

mjc613 wrote:I didn't vote for this, because I just couldn't believe that he could come up with this in only 24 hours. I didn't know what his source was, but he now has an reputation for unoriginal work. I didn't vote for his line art entry for that reason. After the fiasco with the blatant copy of the squid woodcut, he is more careful about what he uses as "inspiration", but he lost my trust.

Since this is not a direct copy of the Alcohol Periodic Table, woot probably won't reject it. It may even print. But little by little, people will figure Rob out, and he will get fewer shirts in the fog.

No because most wooters don't know or care who the artist is. They vote for designs they like, end of story.

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | tg.w: 0 | sp.w: 0 | a.w: 0 | k.w: 0 | s.w: 15 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

bluejuh

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bluejuh
Re: Birth of a Nation

Scientific Accuracy be damned: This is a great concept. I just wish the flag was larger and straighter. (a little more bold + patriotic, I guess)

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
superspryte wrote:Calling to "get rid of" someone is rude, regardless of what he has or hasn't done. I'm asking that you consider rewording to make this post less rude. Your opinion is valid but you need to be courteous.

So what should we do, then? As an artist, do you really want to have stuff you drew yourself languish behind clipart and stale ideas? Clearly that's what the voters want, so we're not going to put an end to it that way.

It's a simple question: what do you do with someone who continually sidesteps the rules, to the point where you can't chalk it up to coincidence? Do you keep slapping his wrist and continue rewarding him with paychecks, or do you fire him?

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

AdderXYU wrote:So what should we do, then? As an artist, do you really want to have stuff you drew yourself languish behind clipart and stale ideas? Clearly that's what the voters want, so we're not going to put an end to it that way.

It's a simple question: what do you do with someone who continually sidesteps the rules, to the point where you can't chalk it up to coincidence? Do you keep slapping his wrist and continue rewarding him with paychecks, or do you fire him?

Email your essay to woot. To multiple people if you feel it's a big issue. PM others to join the effort if you want. Don't whine in the forums and cause flame wars.

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | tg.w: 0 | sp.w: 0 | a.w: 0 | k.w: 0 | s.w: 15 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

mihalis aya

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mihalis aya
daedalusknight wrote:I have absolutely no idea how that would be worked out, logistically, but am not opposed to that idea on principle.

That's exactly how I feel. Let's see what the theme is this coming week, first.

sailstud25

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sailstud25
greyhound989 wrote:This is gorgeous. Your skull is one of my favorite designs, and this one is right up there with it.

I second those remarks.

Hmm, just went in for 3 Randoms, when I haven't bought any shirts lately (although still checking frequently) so what are the chances of liking them!?! Oh well, couldn't pass up the mystery!
...a number of shirts on teetrade.com

2thFairy

quality posts: 2 Private Messages 2thFairy
superspryte wrote:No because most wooters don't know or care who the artist is. They vote for designs they like, end of story.

I *SO* disagree. Many people (but not all) look for and vote for a particular artist because of the hype surrounding the artist and not necessarily the design.

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

2thFairy wrote:I *SO* disagree. Many people (but not all) look for and vote for a particular artist because of the hype surrounding the artist and not necessarily the design.

For those who read the forums. And what of those who don't?

mihalis aya

OpenDesign wrote:I feel kind of bad knocking you out of the fog... this is a great design!

At least there are two days of voting left!

That's sweet of you! For that apology, I can not hate you forever. ;)

brizz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages brizz
superspryte wrote:Calling to "get rid of" someone is rude, regardless of what he has or hasn't done. I'm asking that you consider rewording to make this post less rude. Your opinion is valid but you need to be courteous.

I altered the one sentence I believe you took umbrage with, but in all honesty i'm not even sure why. Why are we supposed to adhere to some standard of courtesy when this particular derby participant has repeatedly shown nothing but contempt for the entire process? Being polite has changed nothing, and indeed it only gets worse week after week.

In the end, I mean exactly what I said: Woot is going to HAVE to address this issue if they hope to remain a viable and respected shirt vendor - otherwise it will be lost to the hackneyed gimmick shirts that I highly doubt Joel had in mind when he started this venture - judging from their opening mission statement and daily shirts. Frankly, I wish they would exercise a bit more power in rejecting entries such as periodic table - if nothing else, there are a lot of "similar shirts that exist" - dozens of periodic table shirts for instance - thus making this one utterly unoriginal and anathema to their stated goal.

Dagith

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Dagith
Re: Lake Ontario Sunset

this would go great with my cool breeze shirt.
I do love autumn, congratulation on staying in the fog.

AdderXYU

superspryte wrote:Email your essay to woot. To multiple people if you feel it's a big issue. PM others to join the effort if you want. Don't whine in the forums and cause flame wars.

Do you really think no one ever emailed woot about this?

If woot won't do anything, someone needs to. And the only way someone will is if they're informed. Will anyone read PMs? God no. They'll delete them like political pamphlets. It's necessary to have it all public, unless we want to preserve his right to theft.

nycanuck

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nycanuck
Re: Canadian Periodic Table

Ontario = On (not Ot)

Fun shirt though

bryozoan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bryozoan
AdderXYU wrote:So what should we do, then? <edit: removed the rest>

Adder: Unfortunately, you have spent so much time attacking art you simply don't like, that you have "the boy who cried wolf" syndrome for art you have actual rules violation issues with.

QED.

mihalis aya

2thFairy wrote:I *SO* disagree. Many people (but not all) look for and vote for a particular artist because of the hype surrounding the artist and not necessarily the design.

I wouldn't say many. I would say up to a quarter of the votes given to any design done by someone who has won once (including my own, probably, though I never seem to get tossed around as a "name" so I might be wrong) are name recognition. The rest is momentum: people see it in the hotness and/or fog and vote because they like it (or don't vote and it falls accordingly).

I understand why we want to think there is a loyal fanbase vote, but I just don't think it works for all shirts all the time. Edgar is often touted as wonderful and underappreciated. His shirts usually do well the first day they are up for voting, and then sink. If my guess is right, those early votes are fans. The lack of votes later, when he's in the hotness or fog, are because other voters don't like it and don't vote--happened just last week.

It might be more accurate to say that a surge of votes at the start could be representative of a loyal fanbase, but after that designs are garnering votes on their own merit.

And I like this shirt even less now that I know Threadless has done one similar. Again. Oh, Rob.

brizz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages brizz
bryozoan wrote:Adder: Unfortunately, you have spent so much time attacking art you simply don't like, that you have "the boy who cried wolf" syndrome for art you have actual rules violation issues with.

QED.

Poppycock. the evidence is right in front of you. Those who don't see it simply choose not to. it's not for anyone to convince you - it's plain as day. Unfortunately, adder provided a very forthright examination of the NUMEROUS examples of theft committed by rob and woot chose to delete it. So the complete picture is up to others to discern. Rest assured, this example is but one of many.

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

brizz wrote:I altered the one sentence I believe you took umbrage with, but in all honesty i'm not even sure why. Why are we supposed to adhere to some standard of courtesy when this particular derby participant has repeatedly shown nothing but contempt for the entire process? Being polite has changed nothing, and indeed it only gets worse week after week.

In the end, I mean exactly what I said: Woot is going to HAVE to address this issue if they hope to remain a viable and respected shirt vendor - otherwise it will be lost to the hackneyed gimmick shirts that I highly doubt Joel had in mind when he started this venture - judging from their opening mission statement and daily shirts. Frankly, I wish they would exercise a bit more power in rejecting entries such as periodic table - if nothing else, there are a lot of "similar shirts that exist" - dozens of periodic table shirts for instance - thus making this one utterly unoriginal and anathema to their stated goal.

The change is much better, thank you. It's not about not calling him out, it's about courtesy. If you can be rude to someone you think is copying ideas and woot allows it, what's next? Think about the slippery slope concept. Eventually it will go too far and when woot finally steps in everyone will be angry (my source is the probations for being off-topic from a while ago). If you have an issue with an entry for a valid reason, go ahead and point it out. Be courteous (maybe the person didn't know, which is true in the case of many new artists, etc) and if you see a persistent issue developing point it out. If that's not enough email shirt@woot.com.

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

AdderXYU wrote:Do you really think no one ever emailed woot about this?

If woot won't do anything, someone needs to. And the only way someone will is if they're informed. Will anyone read PMs? God no. They'll delete them like political pamphlets. It's necessary to have it all public, unless we want to preserve his right to theft.

Read my "PS" to my comment in your other thread.

nycanuck

In fact most provinces are wrong.

Yukon = YT
Northwest Territories = NT
Nunavut = NU
Quebec = QC
Newfoundland = NL

daedalusknight

quality posts: 0 Private Messages daedalusknight
superspryte wrote:Yes.

I think that's what may have happened to me back in the line derby (which is why I ask the question). I didn't make it up into the fog by any means, but I had a bunch of scathing reviews that seemed to make my vote total drop quite a bit.

Up for trade/sale in men's L:Shell Competition--The Shredder--Color Thee Fresh Here's my list of wants

daedalusknight

mihalis aya wrote:That's exactly how I feel. Let's see what the theme is this coming week, first.

That makes sense. Maybe it'll be a winter into spring derby.

Up for trade/sale in men's L:Shell Competition--The Shredder--Color Thee Fresh Here's my list of wants

mihalis aya

daedalusknight wrote:That makes sense. Maybe it'll be a winter into spring derby.

If it is, I'm using my last available colour (I used five) and adding snow to the bottom of the flowers. That's a change, right? Ha!

daedalusknight

Dagith wrote:this would go great with my cool breeze shirt.
I do love autumn, congratulation on staying in the fog.

Glad you like it. Thanks for your support. :-)

AdderXYU

Re: hoser.

I was informed by someone not-at-all bitter that there is a similar design at CafePress. While I feel mine is different enough to escape the rejectomatron, I feel it's only fair that I show you the offending item. Please feel free to make your own judgments.

http://www.cafepress.com/buy/hoser/-/pv_design_details/pg_1/id_18555137/opt_/fpt_/c_666/

daedalusknight

mihalis aya wrote:If it is, I'm using my last available colour (I used five) and adding snow to the bottom of the flowers. That's a change, right? Ha!

Heheh... I can already see that flowers blooming out of snow would be a good idea for a bottom of the shirt design. You might want to draw new flowers, though. :-)

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

superspryte wrote:Read my "PS" to my comment in your other thread.

Corrected for fairness. Good call.

daedalusknight

AdderXYU wrote:I was informed by someone not-at-all bitter that there is a similar design at CafePress. While I feel mine is different enough to escape the rejectomatron, I feel it's only fair that I show you the offending item. Please feel free to make your own judgments.

http://www.cafepress.com/buy/hoser/-/pv_design_details/pg_1/id_18555137/opt_/fpt_/c_666/

Thanks for full disclosure. It is my (admittedly unexpert) opinion that your design is sufficiently different from the previous desgin that there is no reason to disqualify yours. They do share design elements in common, but are clearly very different in form, much as several of the leaf shirts here are different in form.

Other opinions may vary, but I think yours is okay.

FearTheGorgon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages FearTheGorgon
AdderXYU wrote:I was informed by someone not-at-all bitter that there is a similar design at CafePress. While I feel mine is different enough to escape the rejectomatron, I feel it's only fair that I show you the offending item. Please feel free to make your own judgments.

Obviously a total rip. You and your friends need to get over yourselves. 'If woot won't do something, someone has to?" It's their site! If they don't want to do anything, that's the end of the story. I know you think it's your job to police the forums and make them safe for everyone, but it's really not. You let woot know, they don't see enough there to warrant what you're suggesting. Done.

bluchez

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bluchez
superspryte wrote:Corrected for fairness. Good call.

Can I PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE get something next to my name that says "Volunteer Instigator." It would make me so happy.

daedalusknight

bluchez wrote:Can I PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE get something next to my name that says "Volunteer Instigator." It would make me so happy.

How about adding it to your sig? :-)

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

bluchez wrote:Can I PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE get something next to my name that says "Volunteer Instigator." It would make me so happy.

...no.

nycanuck

And...Dudley DoRight should be green not brown.

12/26 is brilliant for boxing day, though AL (#48) should be #69

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

FearTheGorgon wrote:Obviously a total rip. You and your friends need to get over yourselves. 'If woot won't do something, someone has to?" It's their site! If they don't want to do anything, that's the end of the story. I know you think it's your job to police the forums and make them safe for everyone, but it's really not. You let woot know, they don't see enough there to warrant what you're suggesting. Done.

I think that everyone needs to be a bit more courteous. Make your points but don't get personal.

FearTheGorgon

daedalusknight wrote:Thanks for full disclosure. It is my (admittedly unexpert) opinion that your design is sufficiently different from the previous desgin that there is no reason to disqualify yours. They do share design elements in common, but are clearly very different in form, much as several of the leaf shirts here are different in form.

Other opinions may vary, but I think yours is okay.

I just don't understand why Robglenn gets blasted because his jet pack (which shared design elements in common but was different in form, your words) to the threadless jet pack but he's a rip off artist and Adder isn't. Same with the Periodic table. It's a periodic table, of course it looks the same as the thousand other periodic table shirts out there. I guess it's a nice standard to follow if it's not your friend, then blast away. If it is, then everything looks cool with it.

daedalusknight

superspryte wrote:I think that everyone needs to be a bit more courteous. Make your points but don't get personal.

Yes, I prefer civilized discourse myself. Can't we all just get along? :-)

jwink

quality posts: 39 Private Messages jwink
Re: maple leaf

I really like this, my only concern would be due to all the intracate detail I'm not too sure how good the reproduction would be via silkscreening. I hate to say it but my gut says when these are shipped out the detail may be lost, however from afar it should look the same.

Follow me on Twitter
Blooging away

FearTheGorgon

superspryte wrote:I think that everyone needs to be a bit more courteous. Make your points but don't get personal.

Sorry superspryte. No problem.

highgrassfarm

quality posts: 0 Private Messages highgrassfarm
mjc613 wrote:Truly Laughed Out Loud when I read this. In fact, I almost fell out of my chair....

That's the whole point of the thing! Thanks!

daedalusknight

FearTheGorgon wrote:Robglenn gets blasted because his jet pack (which shared design elements in common but was different in form, your words) to the threadless jet pack but he's a rip off artist and Adder isn't. Same with the Periodic table. It's a periodic table! of course it looks the same as the thousand other periodic table shirts out there.I guess it's a nice standard to follow if it's not your friend. Blast away. If it is, then everything looks cool with it.

I don't remember blasting anyone about a jet pack? Or about the periodic table, actually. I was just discussing the hoser shirt.

Or did you mean the community in general? As I said, I'm no expert, so I don't know what flies around here and what doesn't. Sorry for any confusion.

FearTheGorgon

daedalusknight wrote:I don't remember blasting anyone about a jet pack? Or about the periodic table, actually. I was just discussing the hoser shirt.

Or did you mean the community in general? As I said, I'm no expert, so I don't know what flies around here and what doesn't. Sorry for any confusion.

I'm talking about the long post AdderXYU wrote last night. I think it got deleted. He went point by point on why a lot of RobGlenn's entries were stolen from somewhere else. A lot of them looked a lot less similar to their sources than AdderXYU's hoser entry to the cafepress one.