daedalusknight

quality posts: 0 Private Messages daedalusknight
FearTheGorgon wrote:I'm talking about the long post AdderXYU wrote last night. I think it got deleted. He went point by point on why a lot of RobGlenn's entries were stolen from somewhere else. A lot of them looked a lot less similar to their sources than AdderXYU's hoser entry to the cafepress one.

Okay. I must have missed it before it got deleted.

bluchez

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bluchez
superspryte wrote:...no.

You are entirely no fun.

On Topic: I think this shirt violates enough of the fundamental rules of structuring a periodic table, that it is in fact unique. Kind of like how a die with a 6 side and 1 side touching is no longer a die.

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
daedalusknight wrote:Okay. I must have missed it before it got deleted.

The actual quote is thus

"Wizard pointed out in the first thread (in case you didn't get to see it) that Rob ALSO took another threadless idea: my pants are too tight! Pack. Though I can't find the exact location of his rip, I recall the controversy (and don't think I could find the rip then, either, to be fair). The closest to the concept that I've seen, however, is Pilot, which to me isn't all that close, but has a more glaring issue"

bryozoan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bryozoan
AdderXYU wrote: Though I can't find the exact location of his rip.

Adder,

Try a search for robglenn on shirtderbystats. You can see the link for all of his derby entries and a link to the corresponding woot thread. If you really want to pursue this, most of the entries that had any controversy had links in the woot entry thread with 'evidence', showing, or not showing, a pattern of ideas.

This post was just advice for ease of gathering data, I am not trying to render any judgment.

SkekTek

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek
Re: Canadians do it n'ice (resub)

Wow... I'm impressed how well this is doing (not top 20, but at least getting some love).

daedalusknight

bluchez wrote: On Topic: I think this shirt violates enough of the fundamental rules of structuring a periodic table, that it is in fact unique. Kind of like how a die with a 6 side and 1 side touching is no longer a die.

Okay... time for me to show off my fancy art school degree:

What is being debated here are the similarities between works of art. In some cases a work has the same subject matter, same design elements, but different form. An example of this would be the hoser shirts. They're both using the same concept and visual elements, but they have vastly different forms. Looking at them both from a distance would not make you think they are alike.

In other cases you might have the same subject matter and form but have different design elements. An example of this would be a shirt with maple leaves falling from the sky and a shirt with oak leaves falling from the sky. They look similar from a distance, but up close they are visually different.

Another case might be where form and design elements are the same, but the subject matter is different. This is the case with the Canadian periodic table and the food/drink periodic table. They look similar up close and at a distance (similar structure, similar fonts, etc.), but they are using different ideas.

Are you bored from reading this yet? :-)

I have no idea which, if any of the above, would be grounds for rejection on Woot. Maybe some of them are, maybe none of them are. I don't think that all of them are, though.

daedalusknight

Oh dear. I'm out of the fog now. I hope I haven't been offending anyone.

lady31bugg

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lady31bugg
Re: Fireweed - Flower of the Yukon

I love this design AND I would actually wear it =)

OpenDesign

quality posts: 0 Private Messages OpenDesign
daedalusknight wrote:Oh dear. I'm out of the fog now. I hope I haven't been offending anyone.

Don't worry too much... it's a competition dependent on the votes of a huge group of people, so weird things will happen.

Kind of like the U.S. presidential primary process...

daedalusknight

OpenDesign wrote:Don't worry too much... it's a competition dependent on the votes of a huge group of people, so weird things will happen.

Kind of like the U.S. presidential primary process...

Gosh... how do they stand the roller coaster ride?

Well this is going to be a close race regardless. So many great shirts out there.

2thFairy

quality posts: 2 Private Messages 2thFairy
bluchez wrote:Can I PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE get something next to my name that says "Volunteer Instigator." It would make me so happy.

Hahahahaha!!!!!

alftuba

quality posts: 1 Private Messages alftuba
ansharp wrote:

No kidding, this shirt gets cooler every time I look at it. Everyone vote for it PEASE!

mihalis aya

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mihalis aya
lady31bugg wrote:I love this design AND I would actually wear it =)

I love you and would actually give you hugs! If I knew you. And if we lived near each other. And if you don't smell. But people who vote for me, by default, do NOT smell.

mihalis aya

daedalusknight wrote:Gosh... how do they stand the roller coaster ride?

Well this is going to be a close race regardless. So many great shirts out there.

Are you and I dancing for the 4th/5th place? Crap. I said I didn't want to knock daedalus out, guys!

daedalusknight

mihalis aya wrote:Are you and I dancing for the 4th/5th place? Crap. I said I didn't want to knock daedalus out, guys!

I think we are literally within one or two points of each other. Which means neither of our shirts will get made, sadly, unless there's a tie ahead of us that we can't see or one of us suddenly picks up enough steam to get into third.

I can't take the suspense... I'm going out for groceries.

nkardos

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nkardos
Re: Bacon

this is my first submit, i messed up a bit, i think ill resubmit within the day. I want to make the ham better looking, hope you all like it.

bluchez

kixxster wrote:its really nice to see a Canada shirt that doesn't have maple leaves or Canadian flags on it. [or "eh] I would love to wear this shirt!

Thanks. That was ultimately my highest goal.

And, by the way, 1 out of 1 volunteer moderators agree. This shirt rocks:

OpenDesign

quality posts: 0 Private Messages OpenDesign

^^^

Oh, and that isn't sarcasm in the second part! I'm not trying to be arrogant...

mihalis aya

daedalusknight wrote:I think we are literally within one or two points of each other. Which means neither of our shirts will get made, sadly, unless there's a tie ahead of us that we can't see or one of us suddenly picks up enough steam to get into third.

I can't take the suspense... I'm going out for groceries.

Heeeey, me too!

Poppenfresh

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Poppenfresh
superspryte wrote:Submit it without the print-ready. What I posted was a three-step process. ^_~

Appreciate your help, however, it still doesn't work. What the heck?? You don't think its my Photoshop do you? I really hope woot gets the email in time...

Amach06

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Amach06
tgentry wrote:I'd rather make fun of the people who aren't voting for it. It's clearly the best entry in the derby. Some people claim name recognition gets you votes, but I think if anything it can keep people from voting sometimes. If an relatively unknown person entered this it would be a runaway winner. Nice work anyways guys.

By far the best piece in the derby. Only shirt besides Derek's that i would wear.

Well there is always next year....

haxrox

quality posts: 10 Private Messages haxrox
sigaru wrote:you can say "ya" instead of "you", but if you spell it "ya'll", then that makes into "ya will", not "ya all", since "you'll" is "you will", and "ya" is substituted for "you".

Here's the weird thing, though: some contractions have multiple meanings. "He'd been there before" and "He'd do the dishes later" translate to he had and he would, respectively. So even as a "y'all" speakin' Texan, I see merit in both versions. Maybe we could compromise with a lolcat "yawl".

In any case, GMV darth. I had the hardest time explaining to my wife why Alaska was saying "l o l". How do you explain years of memes and inside internet jokes in one sitting? I guess I could start with the "Mario Twins."

derekfilley

quality posts: 0 Private Messages derekfilley
rres wrote:I've been watching the derby for a while and finally decided to throw my hat into the ring.

Your feedback is appreciated.

You have some artistic talent... my advice: gussy up your shirt comp ;-)

Check out my blog:Here!

smithsonia

quality posts: 2 Private Messages smithsonia
Re: Cold one, eh?

wow. I loved this movie as a child-- thanks for the flashback!
great homage.

bsimms

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bsimms

i wasn't sure if I liked the black or not, then I saw the meaning behind the shirt w/ your mom and it didn't matter. in for one if it wins

CutieMcPretty

quality posts: 0 Private Messages CutieMcPretty
Re: Panmure Island Lighthouse

I love this shirt

daedalusknight

mihalis aya wrote:Heeeey, me too!

I'm back. Mmmm.... whole wheat bagels...

and I think I'll be cooking some "Animal" pancakes for dinner tonight. :-)

daedalusknight

bsimms wrote:i wasn't sure if I liked the black or not, then I saw the meaning behind the shirt w/ your mom and it didn't matter. in for one if it wins

Thanks for your support. Hopefully I can pull up to third place so all you folks can get the shirt you want. Or maybe there'll be some kind of a tie again (wishful thinking).

VOLTACO

quality posts: 0 Private Messages VOLTACO
daedalusknight wrote:Sorry... who was this directed to? Was it me?

No, sorry, I guess I was asking Twallis, or anyone who knows, if there is some way to get this on a shirt if this design doesn't win.

tallworm

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tallworm
Re: Missing My Cup SInce 1993

American teams keep winning. This makes me want to cry. Maple leaf sad face

mjc613

quality posts: 47 Private Messages mjc613
Re: Missing My Cup SInce 1993

If I didn't want that cup for my own team (in the US), this would make me cry too.

sergiothatguy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sergiothatguy
Re: God Bless NORTH America!

North American Union = bad. I hope you don't support it, but I do like the shirt.

mjc613

quality posts: 47 Private Messages mjc613
mjc613 wrote:I didn't vote for this, because I just couldn't believe that he could come up with this in only 24 hours. I didn't know what his source was, but he now has an reputation for unoriginal work. I didn't vote for his line art entry for that reason. After the fiasco with the blatant copy of the squid woodcut, he is more careful about what he uses as "inspiration", but he lost my trust.

Since this is not a direct copy of the Alcohol Periodic Table, woot probably won't reject it. It may even print. But little by little, people will figure Rob out, and he will get fewer shirts in the fog.

I've been giving this post a lot of thought, and while I still have misgivings about this entry, I am willing to believe that I may have jumped to conclusions.

Rob, you have not had a chance to speak about how you came up with this. Just because there was one incident in the past where I believed you used another person's material does not mean you did it this time. I think you would do yourself a big favor to tell how you put this idea together. It would also be a good learning experience for the newer designers.

I know that on Iron Chef they practice preparing several dishes in under an hour, and try to make it flexible enough to accomodate various "secret ingredients". Do you have a few ideas waiting for when the theme is revealed? Do you have a portfolio waiting at home? Or do you wait until after it is announced to do research?

It would be very interesting to hear about this from other designers as well, but this one is in the fog and quite conspicuous right now.

bluchez

Re: Ogopogo (Canadian Lake Monster)

Please Note: The following is a complete fabrication. None of it is true, and should be dismissed as such.

I just got a response from Woot. They have decided that my shirt could be printed with glow in the dark ink. They don't normally allow this for derby shirts, but felt mine was unique enough of a design to warrant it. I have attached an image of what it might look like in the light and dark, so you can get an idea.

Please Vote for OGOPOGO, in order to obtain the first derby shirt with glow in the dark ink.

(REMEMBER: This is a outright lie. Thanks)

daedalusknight

bluchez wrote: (REMEMBER: This is a outright lie. Thanks)

Now see... there would be a shirt I'd buy. I think I'm a sucker for gimmicks like glow in the dark when they're done well. I actually have hand painted shirts with strontium aluminate paint to get them to glow in the dark. :-)

klswoot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages klswoot
Re: O Canada! - Sorry that's all I know!

Although I can understand the rejection, I have to voice my concern about the inconsistencies of rejection. The only reason my entry and Cheese's entry look the same is because we both used established sheet music as inspiration for our design. She did a design with sheet music that changed the lyrics of the anthem. Mine completely ignores the lyrics aside from O Canada...as this is the only part that many Americans know. The message that comes across from the two shirts is completely different and as such mine didn't deserve a rejection.

There are dozens of similar maple leaf entries, at least 3 stacks of pancakes with syrup, Canadian flag entries whose design and message are nearly identical, and way too many "EH" entries! Yet all of these "similar" designs remain in the derby.

I never saw Cheese's entry before doing my designs yesterday. She wrote to me and pointed out the similarity. I apologized in the thread for her design and mentioned that the similarities were unintentional and was probably due to the fact that we both used the same source for the printed sheet music. Although the differences to me were enough to justify keeping my entry in the derby, I did offer to remove it. I think you (Woot) should have simply asked me to remove it given that it hadn't yet met the 24 hour mark. The rejection wasn't necessary.

I think if you had looked at the comps for the shirt and judged the overall message/joke in each of the designs separately, you would agree that the only similarity is that we both drew our designs from already established sheet music.

geekfactor12

quality posts: 11 Private Messages geekfactor12
klswoot wrote:There are dozens of similar maple leaf entries, at least 3 stacks of pancakes with syrup, Canadian flag entries whose design and message are nearly identical, and way too many "EH" entries! Yet all of these "similar" designs remain in the derby.

My pancakes have no syrup! Vote for the only syrup-free pancakes, y'all!

Seriously, though, if we're rejecting shirts for making different jokes with the same inspiration (in this case, Canada's anthem), then why is a joke based on the periodic table (when other jokes have been made using the same inspiration are all over the web, including several shirts) still in the fog?

daedalusknight

geekfactor12 wrote:My pancakes have no syrup! Vote for the only syrup-free pancakes, y'all!

Okay... that does it... it's pancakes for dinner tonight. :-)

klswoot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages klswoot
daedalusknight wrote:Okay... that does it... it's pancakes for dinner tonight. :-)

Don't forget to also warm a side of Canadian Bacon to go along with that short stack.

daedalusknight

klswoot wrote:Don't forget to also warm a side of Canadian Bacon to go along with that short stack.

Sorry, just berries. I'm using them to make it look like that Animal-faced pancake stack. :-)