Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
superspryte wrote:You going to do one?

superspryte

quality posts: 21 Private Messages superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

Josephus wrote:

I meant a cyberpub award.

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | tg.w: 0 | sp.w: 0 | a.w: 0 | k.w: 0 | s.w: 15 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

Josephus

superspryte wrote:I meant a cyberpub award.

I never actually heard of it before this. details, pleze

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

Josephus wrote:I never actually heard of it before this. details, pleze

Choose a category. Then on Wednesday we're going to post our winners. You get to pick your category. I'm doing BEST USE OF NON-ROMAN ALPHABET. When you choose your award you do not have to have an entry in mind (I did not). The only rule is it can't be in the fog at the end of the week but that may change to not in the top 10 depending on how things go. You can add requirements, like "best use of a yellow T-shirt under 50 votes" if you want.

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | tg.w: 0 | sp.w: 0 | a.w: 0 | k.w: 0 | s.w: 15 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

AttilaTheMom

quality posts: 5 Private Messages AttilaTheMom
superspryte wrote:Okay, time to choose our Cyberpub awards. Of course I won't be choosing which design yet but I want to get this started. My award this week will be:

Best Use of the Non-Roman Alphabet.

Remember, winners cannot be fogged.

I think I'll go with Best double entendre unless they all get rejected. In which case I'll have to think about it. In any case, mom's maunderings will be back up this week, but dunno which day yet. depends on other things.

AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH........ whatever.

geekfactor12

quality posts: 11 Private Messages geekfactor12

I think I want to do Best Late Submission, an award for a shirt entered on Monday or later.

Josephus

Still mulling it over...trending toward something like "most evoking a 'wow' entry"

Schrobblehead

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Schrobblehead

I think best non-linear text entry will be mine. I don't like most of the entries that use horizontal lines of text because I know how easy they can be to make (even if they do look good).

I'm a Christmas Unicorn! In a uniform made of gold, with a billy-goat beard, and a sorcerer's shield, and mistletoe on my nose!

shan24

quality posts: 3 Private Messages shan24

My latest entry...the Mobius Strip

SkekTek

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek
shan24 wrote:
My latest entry...the Mobius Strip

Sure, Schrobble decides to give the best non-linear design, and you come out with this... brown nose....

Pretty nice! I wonder what it would look like with the top text loop being transparent in the text breaks (so you could see the text underneath through the U, for instance).

Good job!

Josephus

my other entry

please vote.

shan24

quality posts: 3 Private Messages shan24
SkekTek wrote:Sure, Schrobble decides to give the best non-linear design, and you come out with this... brown nose....

Pretty nice! I wonder what it would look like with the top text loop being transparent in the text breaks (so you could see the text underneath through the U, for instance).

Good job!

Thanks! yeah it was getting late on Sunday and I didn't feel like messing with it anymore. Plus I didn't know if the back side of the strip showing through the front side would just end up making it look confusing. I wanted the "mobius" part to stand out.

I actually had to make my own strip and write "mobius strip mobius strip mobius strip" on it to see what the back side would actually look like. Maybe it's my headache but I didn't expect it to be upside-down backwards!

dontwantaname

quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

Josephus wrote:my other entry

please vote.

Very Martha's Vineyard!
Now daughter knows some of the people in the movie!
We saw Jaws there one summer. It was strange, because people were watching the extras to find friends!

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

I'm happy to see how many awards we're going to have. ^_^

SkekTek

shan24 wrote:Thanks! yeah it was getting late on Sunday and I didn't feel like messing with it anymore. Plus I didn't know if the back side of the strip showing through the front side would just end up making it look confusing. I wanted the "mobius" part to stand out.

I actually had to make my own strip and write "mobius strip mobius strip mobius strip" on it to see what the back side would actually look like. Maybe it's my headache but I didn't expect it to be upside-down backwards!

GMV... I think it's neato...

SkekTek

Was working on this and gave up. Should I continue, or does it need too much work to be submittable? I started replacing the standard text with hand-drawn text that looked better, but stopped to work on other things.

Comments?

JadenKale

quality posts: 181 Private Messages JadenKale
Josephus wrote:my other entry

please vote.

Josephus, hopefully your text in the mouth matches the close up. I just noticed the difference myself.

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

I just got my placement. I'm starting training in the Kanto region (Tokyo and surrounding areas) on July 7th.

*squee!*

o(^_^o) (o^_^)o o(^_^o) (o^_^)o

Schrobblehead

I was so happy to see that I got to 8th place and now I am going to be bummed for the rest of the week if I fall out of the top ten. Oh well. Is it wrong to hope for the rejection of other shirts, or should I just go make a super mario shirt since that is apparently all it takes?

I'm a Christmas Unicorn! In a uniform made of gold, with a billy-goat beard, and a sorcerer's shield, and mistletoe on my nose!

PemberDucky

quality posts: 41 Private Messages PemberDucky

Staff

Schrobblehead wrote:I was so happy to see that I got to 8th place and now I am going to be bummed for the rest of the week if I fall out of the top ten. Oh well. Is it wrong to hope for the rejection of other shirts, or should I just go make a super mario shirt since that is apparently all it takes?

It's only Monday! Plenty of time for something to change.

-----------------------------------------------
Not sure if you should post that? This slightly-nsfw-flowchart will help.

AttilaTheMom

hey ducky, how was the party? and what costume did you end up wearing? I want pics.

PemberDucky

Staff

AttilaTheMom wrote:hey ducky, how was the party? and what costume did you end up wearing? I want pics.

Hi Attila! (And Aberrantic! Sorry I didn't respond yesterday--life pulls me in all directions sometimes.)
Anyway, I broke down and ended up going with the red corset/black boy shorts number after all. We didn't plan to stay long, plus I already had the corset and we just didn't pull it to a ridiculous 19-inch waist or whatever. Threw on some fake lashes, devil horns, black heels and a garter. Hopelessly predictable, I felt, plus I kinda wished I'd had time to tan more. Still, it was a hit, so I shan't complain. (The fact that my hair is currently red/platinum is a bonus!) The hubs, who doesn't quite get into costumes and theatrics, donned a little black halo headband and called it a day.
The photos are undoubtedly floating around the host's MySpace page, however, that's a no-no at my work. This evening I'll see how everything turned out. (Or, if he's able, I'll have him e-mail me a few choice pics.)
I really liked your ideas, Attila. In the end, I think it just made sense to go with what I already had available since we were only staying for a few hours and I felt some obligation to just satisfy the attendants' expectations.
I feel like the cross-dressing Nun should've won, if I'm honest.

personnemaime

quality posts: 0 Private Messages personnemaime
SkekTek wrote:This is for those of you who asked for a more mature submission. Vote quick before the rejectorator unfairly kicks it to the curb... (why unfairly? Since have the world's population has one of these, and it's in the "passive mode", my opinion is it's artistic, not dirty. Especially since many folks have this disorder, and take the "fix"

Okay, the truth is I wanted a goofy entry in there

I'd love to see this entry with the words "If you have an erection lasting for more than 4 hours , seek medical help immediately" instead of "erectile dysfunction"

SkekTek

personnemaime wrote:I'd love to see this entry with the words "If you have an erection lasting for more than 4 hours , seek medical help immediately" instead of "erectile dysfunction"

I think the theme of the shirt (now rejected) would mean that any entry that implies "sex" would probably get the, uhm, chop . But that's a great idea for a possible design to be used elsewhere! Thanks!

AttilaTheMom

superspryte wrote:I just got my placement. I'm starting training in the Kanto region (Tokyo and surrounding areas) on July 7th.

*squee!*

o(^_^o) (o^_^)o o(^_^o) (o^_^)o

Lucky devil. When in Tokyo we stayed in the Ginza district, near all the high end stores and such. The restaurants there don't have tipping, but they DO have a $5/person 'seating charge', which none of us were prepared for. I don't know how widespread that practice is so just be warned. The people there are very friendly. I had an older gentleman on the subway ask if I needed any help to get around, and the people stationed at the subway ticket windows are very helpful and have pretty good english. I wore Zenne's pretty water lady shirt around, and got lots of stares but no comments. I'd have worn the koi if it had gotten to me in time. Get a good subway map, it isn't hard to find your way around, and the signs are all well marked in english and japanese. Have fun and post pics for us. And go check out the Toyota Megaweb sometime, it's like a futuristic car show, dave and busters, county fair and shopping mall all rolled into one. You can't miss the ferris wheel thingy.

AttilaTheMom

PemberDucky wrote:Hi Attila! (And Aberrantic! Sorry I didn't respond yesterday--life pulls me in all directions sometimes.)
Anyway, I broke down and ended up going with the red corset/black boy shorts number after all. We didn't plan to stay long, plus I already had the corset and we just didn't pull it to a ridiculous 19-inch waist or whatever. Threw on some fake lashes, devil horns, black heels and a garter. Hopelessly predictable, I felt, plus I kinda wished I'd had time to tan more. Still, it was a hit, so I shan't complain. (The fact that my hair is currently red/platinum is a bonus!) The hubs, who doesn't quite get into costumes and theatrics, donned a little black halo headband and called it a day.
The photos are undoubtedly floating around the host's MySpace page, however, that's a no-no at my work. This evening I'll see how everything turned out. (Or, if he's able, I'll have him e-mail me a few choice pics.)
I really liked your ideas, Attila. In the end, I think it just made sense to go with what I already had available since we were only staying for a few hours and I felt some obligation to just satisfy the attendants' expectations.
I feel like the cross-dressing Nun should've won, if I'm honest.

Hey, if you have the corset, use the corset, i always say. No point in going all out for only a few hours. I'm currently debating how far I want to go with the leather wings/corset ensemble I'm working on for gencon. I haven't done any serious costuming in years and I'm getting the itch. Plus I have all this leather sitting around...

Josephus

JadenKale wrote:Josephus, hopefully your text in the mouth matches the close up. I just noticed the difference myself.

It's a line width issue. It defaults to keeping line widths the same when you resize things, and I missed it. The small lines are wider than actual, so the mouth looks black. dammit.

SkekTek

AttilaTheMom wrote:Hey, if you have the corset, use the corset, i always say. No point in going all out for only a few hours. I'm currently debating how far I want to go with the leather wings/corset ensemble I'm working on for gencon. I haven't done any serious costuming in years and I'm getting the itch. Plus I have all this leather sitting around...

Wow... interesting banter all of a sudden I know a few folks who cosplay, so I've seen/heard this sort of thing before. But it's a bit unexpected in a shirt thread... Used to do this sort of thing for cons BITD, but I'm a lot older now and a lot less fit...

SailorButterfly

quality posts: 14 Private Messages SailorButterfly
AttilaTheMom wrote:Hey, if you have the corset, use the corset, i always say. No point in going all out for only a few hours. I'm currently debating how far I want to go with the leather wings/corset ensemble I'm working on for gencon. I haven't done any serious costuming in years and I'm getting the itch. Plus I have all this leather sitting around...

I wanted to make an outfit that required metal wings for Anime Weekend Atlanta, but I don't know how I'd pull it off (especially since metal wouldn't actually be allowed at the con). -_-'

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The "Most Awesome Butterfly-Sailor Hybrid on Woot"

SkekTek

SailorButterfly wrote:I wanted to make an outfit that required metal wings for Anime Weekend Atlanta, but I don't know how I'd pull it off (especially since metal wouldn't actually be allowed at the con). -_-'

You could buy sheets of polystyrene (white plastic) at a local hobby shop, cut them to size using an Xacto knife and spray them metallic....

PemberDucky

Staff

AttilaTheMom wrote:Plus I have all this leather sitting around...

If you have the leather, use the leather, I always say...

SailorButterfly

quality posts: 14 Private Messages SailorButterfly
SkekTek wrote:You could buy sheets of polystyrene (white plastic) at a local hobby shop, cut them to size using an Xacto knife and spray them metallic....

Hmm...I'll have to look into that. I'm not by nature a crafty person, so I can't think of these things on my own.

Thanks!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The "Most Awesome Butterfly-Sailor Hybrid on Woot"

Schrobblehead

PemberDucky wrote:It's only Monday! Plenty of time for something to change.

You were right. All pac-mans got rejected.

PemberDucky

Staff

Schrobblehead wrote:You were right. All pac-mans got rejected.

It was bound to happen. That's the way the potato chips!

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

AttilaTheMom wrote:Lucky devil. When in Tokyo we stayed in the Ginza district, near all the high end stores and such. The restaurants there don't have tipping, but they DO have a $5/person 'seating charge', which none of us were prepared for. I don't know how widespread that practice is so just be warned. The people there are very friendly. I had an older gentleman on the subway ask if I needed any help to get around, and the people stationed at the subway ticket windows are very helpful and have pretty good english. I wore Zenne's pretty water lady shirt around, and got lots of stares but no comments. I'd have worn the koi if it had gotten to me in time. Get a good subway map, it isn't hard to find your way around, and the signs are all well marked in english and japanese. Have fun and post pics for us. And go check out the Toyota Megaweb sometime, it's like a futuristic car show, dave and busters, county fair and shopping mall all rolled into one. You can't miss the ferris wheel thingy.

I studied in Japan in 2005; I'm familiar with their restaurant practices. I also have a degree in Japanese. ^_~ Thanks though. I sincerely appreciate the thoughts. ^_^

Hopefully it will be a good few years.

krapposelli

quality posts: 0 Private Messages krapposelli
superspryte wrote:I'm happy to see how many awards we're going to have. ^_^

Oooh. Can I do an award? I think I'd do, "Best Reject". When do we pick / announce our winner?

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

SkekTek wrote:Wow... interesting banter all of a sudden I know a few folks who cosplay, so I've seen/heard this sort of thing before. But it's a bit unexpected in a shirt thread... Used to do this sort of thing for cons BITD, but I'm a lot older now and a lot less fit...

This is my weekend wear when I was in Japan in 2005. I <3 it.

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

krapposelli wrote:Oooh. Can I do an award? I think I'd do, "Best Reject". When do we pick / announce our winner?

Wednesday.

AttilaTheMom

I think I may change my award to Least objectionable ascii art. In any case, this weeks edition of Mom's monday maunderings is up for your reading pleasure in the main derby forum.

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

AttilaTheMom wrote:I think I may change my award to Least objectionable ascii art. In any case, this weeks edition of Mom's monday maunderings is up for your reading pleasure in the main derby forum.

Sounds good. ^_^ ...although "Best" may be better than "Least Objectionable," ya know?