mjc613

quality posts: 48 Private Messages mjc613

I need to start of by saying that there are some great drawings this week. Lots of thought went into these as well as lots of work. But I just don't see myself getting most of them, and I think it's because of the theme.

I think the whole subject is distasteful, and I don't like the idea of wearing something that seems to endorse it. Some of the shirts make some political statements, and I agree with some of them. But without words to say I don't condone something, it looks like I do.

I have voted for shirts that could be taken at face value, like the dragons and those based on myths or history. I am just having trouble with the shirts that I think I would have to explain. So if you have a great design - and I personally think that many of you do - and it is low on votes, there may be more people out there like me who just don't post.

mjc613

brentfire wrote:Is a single letter allowable? like on a playing card?

No. Not even an exclamation point.

mjc613

geekfactor12 wrote:I made a shirt with a whale, hooray for me:

Comments and criticisms are requested

Joel has rejected shirts with France jokes before, so beware.
My husband would wear this all the time.

artulo

quality posts: 13 Private Messages artulo
mjc613 wrote:Joel has rejected shirts with France jokes before, so beware.
My husband would wear this all the time.

True, but this one isn't bashing the French so much like other designs that were rejected...*snicker*

geekfactor12

quality posts: 11 Private Messages geekfactor12
mjc613 wrote:Joel has rejected shirts with France jokes before, so beware.

I'm not intending this as a France joke, more of a joke about the practice of claiming land with a flag. The French flag had the distinct advantage of using colors I already had in the design and also of being super-easy to draw.

I'm glad some people are digging it, tho

mjc613

geekfactor12 wrote:I'm not intending this as a France joke, more of a joke about the practice of claiming land with a flag. The French flag had the distinct advantage of using colors I already had in the design and also of being super-easy to draw.

If Joel does reject it, you can resub using those same colors, if you change the flag to Russia or Netherlands. Up to you how to portray the flagholder of course.

redghia69

quality posts: 1 Private Messages redghia69
mjc613 wrote:I need to start of by saying that there are some great drawings this week. Lots of thought went into these as well as lots of work. But I just don't see myself getting most of them, and I think it's because of the theme.

I think the whole subject is distasteful, and I don't like the idea of wearing something that seems to endorse it. Some of the shirts make some political statements, and I agree with some of them. But without words to say I don't condone something, it looks like I do.

I have voted for shirts that could be taken at face value, like the dragons and those based on myths or history. I am just having trouble with the shirts that I think I would have to explain. So if you have a great design - and I personally think that many of you do - and it is low on votes, there may be more people out there like me who just don't post.

Similar thoughts kept me from developing on "cute greed" themes. Maybe there were others thinking the same thing. I think derbies usually attract more entries.

jzelts

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jzelts

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who's voted on the heart balloon tshirt so far. It's my first time entering, and I'm just happy it's making a nice showing. For those who haven't seen it, it's the ultra-girlie shirt with tons of heart balloons.

bluchez

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bluchez

If using a photoshop filter on a photo of my dog doesn't do it, I just don't know if it's possible to please the voters:

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
bluchez wrote:If using a photoshop filter on a photo of my dog doesn't do it, I just don't know if it's possible to please the voters:

What wooter doesn't love photoshop filtered dogs? Wooter's can't get enough photoshop filters, and dogs are CUUUUUUUTE

eHalcyon

quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
geekfactor12 wrote:I'm not intending this as a France joke, more of a joke about the practice of claiming land with a flag. The French flag had the distinct advantage of using colors I already had in the design and also of being super-easy to draw.

If you made it a Canadian flag, I would have to consider getting it. Of course, your colours also work for the American flag.

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

cleverconveyence

quality posts: 1 Private Messages cleverconveyence

I've been DYING for a good woot tee on red.

This will DEFINITELY get my vote.

Number of shirt.woots in 08: 23 (not counting randoms and shirts bought for friends)
number of shirt.woots in 09: 2 (same criteria)

superspryte

quality posts: 21 Private Messages superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

cleverconveyence wrote:I've been DYING for a good woot tee on red.

That's really awesome but we don't know who you're talking to. ^_~

EDIT: Ah, nevermind. I saw in the other thread. Thanks. ^_^;

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | tg.w: 0 | sp.w: 0 | a.w: 0 | k.w: 0 | s.w: 15 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

jimiyo

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jimiyo
eyeslikesugar wrote:

Here's my shirt for the week; please vote =)
Detail image

thats really cute ELS

outlawmoogle

quality posts: 2 Private Messages outlawmoogle

I don't see any shirts that really capture my interest, but I'm not surprised in the least that shirts with monkeys and penguins are in the fog.

fablefire

quality posts: 23 Private Messages fablefire
outlawmoogle wrote:I don't see any shirts that really capture my interest, but I'm not surprised in the least that shirts with monkeys and penguins are in the fog.

Let's add a kyute widdle bunny...

mjc613

I've wanted a red shirt also. Which design are you writing about?

easeandgrace

quality posts: 0 Private Messages easeandgrace

Why, there's one for sale today! Lucky you! :-)

littlesandusky

quality posts: 0 Private Messages littlesandusky

Agreed about the color combo. I'm still going to buy one when you win!

Tim J Wilhelm

wonderstew

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wonderstew

How's the deadline work with these things?

Shaving.

tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

wonderstew wrote:

How's the deadline work with these things?

Hey Stew! The derby theme is put up Thursday at 12:00 central. You can start uploading on Friday at 12:00. You can keep uploading all the way until Wednesday I think, but if you submit any later than Sunday or Monday you'll have a really hard time catching up in votes, so it's best to submit earlier. Your shirt comp should be 600x600p and your thumbnail should be 240x240. I guess that's the basics. Welcome and good luck!

dasmonkeyboy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dasmonkeyboy

I find it interesting how so many common themes emerge in a derby.

Is it a "copy cat" thing, or a "I could make this better" thing. Maybe it's just common inspiration?

Squirrels, dragons, dogs and pigs... curious...

SkekTek

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek
dasmonkeyboy wrote:I find it interesting how so many common themes emerge in a derby.

Is it a "copy cat" thing, or a "I could make this better" thing. Maybe it's just common inspiration?

I think, at least with squirrels and dragons, it's what most of us think of first when we think of things that hoard items. So we get similar designs...

mia3mom

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mia3mom
SkekTek wrote:I think, at least with squirrels and dragons, it's what most of us think of first when we think of things that hoard items. So we get similar designs...

I don't understand why some weeks similar inspiration = rejection for later submissions, while other weeks it doesn't.

I was waiting for the rejectionator this morning after the weekend. I'm glad I'm not the only one who went Huh? at a few entries.

<note: not saying anyone copied - I think fe that the dragons are all very cool and unique>

& the Gaggle of Girls; so many shirts, so little space in the dresser!

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

SkekTek wrote:I think, at least with squirrels and dragons, it's what most of us think of first when we think of things that hoard items. So we get similar designs...

Indeed. I'm sad that there's a red western dragon that came in after mine. Including Jaden's plus the other one there's four red dragons and all have gold with them. Though I think we all chose different colored shirts (don't remember). Makes me feel much less original. T_T;

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | tg.w: 0 | sp.w: 0 | a.w: 0 | k.w: 0 | s.w: 15 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

mia3mom wrote:I don't understand why some weeks similar inspiration = rejection for later submissions, while other weeks it doesn't.

I was waiting for the rejectionator this morning after the weekend. I'm glad I'm not the only one who went Huh? at a few entries.

<note: not saying anyone copied - I think fe that the dragons are all very cool and unique>

Because sometimes the entries look like blatant copying. Rejection is more likely if two people magically come up with the same obscure idea (like if we had two conquistador skeletons holding chests in boats), whereas things like dragons or squirrels are logical. Does that make sense?

dasmonkeyboy

superspryte wrote:Because sometimes the entries look like blatant copying. Rejection is more likely if two people magically come up with the same obscure idea (like if we had two conquistador skeletons holding chests in boats), whereas things like dragons or squirrels are logical. Does that make sense?

Interpretations of the same thought... makes sense.
But... I can't help but wonder if folks see something entered, and say to themselves "I could make that better" kind of like how Microsoft operates.

I also wondered if the designers post thier designs early on this forum, to call dibs on a particular idea, kind of like a professional courtesy.

Shirt.Woot is a curious place...

tiaerman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tiaerman
dasmonkeyboy wrote:I find it interesting how so many common themes emerge in a derby.

Ok, time for another shameless plug...

I'm usually on the band wagon with the unoriginal ideas but I think my design this week is unlike any others from this derby. Check it out and let me know what you think!

There are 10 types of people: those who know binary, and those who don't.

Schrobblehead

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Schrobblehead
dasmonkeyboy wrote:Interpretations of the same thought... makes sense.
But... I can't help but wonder if folks see something entered, and say to themselves "I could make that better" kind of like how Microsoft operates.

I also wondered if the designers post thier designs early on this forum, to call dibs on a particular idea, kind of like a professional courtesy.

If I posted something completely original and not an obvious idea like the squirrels and dragons were, I would expect that no-one else would steal the idea and so I would be calling dibs. But squirrels and dragons were obvious I'm sure and you can't really call dibs on something like that. I know I rejected both ideas thinking there would be too many of each and I was right.

I'm a Christmas Unicorn! In a uniform made of gold, with a billy-goat beard, and a sorcerer's shield, and mistletoe on my nose!

wonderstew

tgentry wrote:Hey Stew! The derby theme is put up Thursday at 12:00 central. You can start uploading on Friday at 12:00. You can keep uploading all the way until Wednesday I think, but if you submit any later than Sunday or Monday you'll have a really hard time catching up in votes, so it's best to submit earlier. Your shirt comp should be 600x600p and your thumbnail should be 240x240. I guess that's the basics. Welcome and good luck!

Thanks bro. Yeah, I caught myself up on the ins and the outs of this thingy... threw in my submission and all.

I've got me a whole 11 votes already! Shoot yeah!

Have you been over here banking all this time?

Shaving.

bluchez

I don't think it's typically a copying thing. I think many elements lead to this happening, not the least of which is voter pandering. Voters like what they are familiar with. If you choose concepts that they are used to seeing, then you are more likely to succeed. Take, for instance, the song lyrics derby. Many FANTASTIC shirts were completely dismissed by the voting public because they weren't familiar with the song.

The problem is, the artists are forced to make a choice. Go for original concepts that embody the theme to them (and are unlikely to be duplicated by other entries), or go with concepts that they feel will be more quickly recognizable by the voting majority. Finding some level of mixture of original idea, recognizable concept, and derby theme seems to be a very difficult tightrope to walk.

(For what it's worth, my dog shirt design was inspired by a photo of my dog, and not the other entries, even though it was submitted way later then the other dog entries. I explained the late submission in my entry thread, though.)

jimiyo

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jimiyo
superspryte wrote:Makes me feel much less original. T_T;

also... red dragon with gold...

totally the cover of the initial D&D basic rules play book. no kidding.

want to play, i want to be half elf. Tanis.

surprised not to see much of Gollum this derby

bluchez

jimiyo wrote:also... red dragon with gold...

totally the cover of the initial D&D basic rules play book. no kidding.

want to play, i want to be half elf. Tanis.

surprised not to see much of Gollum this derby

Sometimes you make me feel like such a non-dork. Thank you so much!!!

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
wonderstew wrote:Thanks bro. Yeah, I caught myself up on the ins and the outs of this thingy... threw in my submission and all.

I've got me a whole 11 votes already! Shoot yeah!

Have you been over here banking all this time?

He has for the past couple of months. Once he figured it out, its all been sunshine and roses. ;^)

Won't be long until the both of youse guys are showin' the rest up, I have no doubt!

dasmonkeyboy

bluchez wrote:
(For what it's worth, my dog shirt design was inspired by a photo of my dog, and not the other entries, even though it was submitted way later then the other dog entries. I explained the late submission in my entry thread, though.)

I am not casting stones, I am just curious. This is only my fourth derby, and I am finding the whole thing compelling.

The community is quite a cast of characters, and some of the designers are brilliant.

Like you said, it i kind of sad that really nice works get no votes because they are either not familiar or cutesy.

wonderstew

Josephus wrote:He has for the past couple of months. Once he figured it out, its all been sunshine and roses. ;^)

Won't be long until the both of youse guys are showin' the rest up, I have no doubt!

Doubt it.

Haven't you noticed..? He's incredible.

I just hit a lucky streak. My only competition in PS was mnementh before TG showed up.

Shaving.

fablefire

quality posts: 23 Private Messages fablefire
dasmonkeyboy wrote:I am not casting stones, I am just curious. This is only my fourth derby, and I am finding the whole thing compelling.

The community is quite a cast of characters, and some of the designers are brilliant.

Like you said, it i kind of sad that really nice works get no votes because they are either not familiar or cutesy.

For sure. It's all part of the game.

I'll have days where I'm inspired immediately and want to do something cool and original, and then there will be other days where I've got nothing and decide to whore. You never know where the votes are going to fall though. One week it'll be penguins, and the next week it'll be trees. Regardless, there's great stuff every week that gets overlooked, and tacky, meme-quality stuff that's voted up.

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
wonderstew wrote:
Doubt it.

Haven't you noticed..? He's incredible.

true dat.

wonderstew wrote:I just hit a lucky streak. My only competition in PS was mnementh before TG showed up.

From my better perspective, you weren't so much lucky as good. and I'm expecting you can still give him a run for his money. so to speak. ;^)

eHalcyon

quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
dasmonkeyboy wrote:Interpretations of the same thought... makes sense.

That's not how Microsoft operates. They go more by a "I could make that worse and more people would still buy it" kind of mentality. ;) I use Windows, just to be clear. Microsoft is just easily ridiculed.

If you look in the first ~5 (or so) pages of this very thread, you'll see the initial posts by designers before submissions were opened. From last week's Text as Art derby, "Quoth the Raven" (3rd place) was one of the first designs shared.

Shirt.woot isn't that strange. It's the internet, and on the internet there are many wonderful people. And for each wonderful person there is a truckload of idiots. ;)

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

Emilily

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Emilily

Introducing the Stealerpillar!!! Be afraid.

I know its a late entry but I was bored and couldn't help myself:D woo!