Bryan818


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Bryan818
bluchez wrote:It doesn't get me as much that you brought the character back (that has lost at least twice already), I expect that by now (see rubber duck.) The fact that you actually used your candy corn penguin model for the stack of fish as well just astounds me, though. Could you seriously not fit in enough time to draw a stack of fish, even?



no i was eating lunch at work, with my boss breathing down my neck...

Please check it out

nulli


quality posts: 0 Private Messages nulli
xojc wrote:Two tuxedos is just excessive.



Isn't excess pretty much the theme? This design is great. You have done a great job exposing penguins exploiting penguins. It's an issue that’s so often overshadowed by topics like "Monkey overlords intercepting U.N. banana shipments intended for starving monkeys," and "ravenous snake devours horse." Which are also very newsworthy but this promotes penguin awareness so well, so boldly. It stares directly at those who believe that the penguins are so far away the issue does not matter, and those pro-penguin proponents who receive kickbacks from the penguins to scream foul and demand to take this or that penguin submission down. It stares right at those people and forces us to ask the question. How long are we going to let the plight of the penguins go on?

nulli


quality posts: 0 Private Messages nulli
dmstoffel wrote:I bet penguins tatse pretty good



They taste like chicken, and they would be selling them in the grocery store too. If the people that wanted to keep the penguins enslaved and toiling away in the arctic ice farms a secret. They would sell the penguin corpses to you after they worked all the life out of them.


sailstud25


quality posts: 0 Private Messages sailstud25
superspryte wrote:Thanks! I'm flattered! ^_^

PS - It's on cranberry, if that makes a difference. ^_~



this looks awesome on the deep red of cranberry... adds to the richness of the gold and your amazing details really well.

Hmm, just went in for 3 Randoms, when I haven't bought any shirts lately (although still checking frequently) so what are the chances of liking them!?! Oh well, couldn't pass up the mystery!
...a number of shirts on teetrade.com

rglee129


quality posts: 28 Private Messages rglee129
Re: the color of money



Beautiful work. Sometimes terrific designs like this win, sometimes, sadly, they get almost no recognition. I would consider making your design detail more attention grabbing next time (if you want more votes). Regardless, great stuff!

(Sel)fish RESUB 2




Turbotuff


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Turbotuff
Re: Guzzler



where is the greed?

Turbotuff


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Turbotuff
Re: Multiplication Monkey



can you explain how this is greed?

tallworm


quality posts: 0 Private Messages tallworm
Re: King of the Carrots



The perfect mix of cute and evil. Great!

Aberrantic


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Aberrantic
squidboots wrote:I think it's a matter of literary interpretation. We talked about this very issue in my undergrad classic lit course (whether it was forgetfulness or blatant disobedience) as in the literature his motivations are never really mentioned:

"They passed Samos and Delos on the left and Lebynthos on the
right, when the boy, exulting in his career, began to leave the
guidance of his companion and soar upward as if to reach heaven.
The nearness of the blazing sun softened the wax which held the
feathers together, and they came off. He fluttered with his
arms, but no feathers remained to hold the air. While his mouth
uttered cries to his father, it was submerged in the blue waters
of the sea, which thenceforth was called by his name."

I tend to interpret it as an act of selfish disobedience. I've also seen the myth used to describe situations in modern culture where people get too greedy and meet negative consequences as a result.



Hmm, I too interpret it as an act of selfish disobedience, but one of Hubris, not Greed. Icarus isn't greedy to gain new heights (I think that's what you're trying to argue), he's overly prideful of the new ability to fly, and disregards his father's warnings. I've seen this myth used in modern culture situations as well, but only pertaining to situations of hubris, although it may be hubris that causes the people to be greedy.

sailstud25


quality posts: 0 Private Messages sailstud25
Turbotuff wrote:where is the greed?



the huge gas guzzling SUV is obviously the greed... especially juxtaposed with the small cars, and LOVE the scooter in there

is this on heather grey, or is there a solid grey?

Hmm, just went in for 3 Randoms, when I haven't bought any shirts lately (although still checking frequently) so what are the chances of liking them!?! Oh well, couldn't pass up the mystery!
...a number of shirts on teetrade.com

Aberrantic


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Aberrantic
nulli wrote:Isn't excess pretty much the theme? This design is great. You have done a great job exposing penguins exploiting penguins. It's an issue that’s so often overshadowed by topics like "Monkey overlords intercepting U.N. banana shipments intended for starving monkeys," and "ravenous snake devours horse." Which are also very newsworthy but this promotes penguin awareness so well, so boldly. It stares directly at those who believe that the penguins are so far away the issue does not matter, and those pro-penguin proponents who receive kickbacks from the penguins to scream foul and demand to take this or that penguin submission down. It stares right at those people and forces us to ask the question. How long are we going to let the plight of the penguins go on?



Ahahahaha you're brilliant. Well said!

highgrassfarm


quality posts: 0 Private Messages highgrassfarm
Josephus wrote:uh, what is that white square under the skull?

and why does the upper arm on the viewer's right have 2 bones?
-humans only have one humerus on each side, not two...



Aliens-they live among us

surflunesta


quality posts: 1 Private Messages surflunesta
Re: The Tycoon of ICE



Penguin Blood Diamonds...gotta love it. Nice work JC

Krystinn


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Krystinn
Re: Fool's Paradise



Yay! Another stellar submission, Skaght! The jester and the dog are really cracking me up!

ssilynro


quality posts: 0 Private Messages ssilynro

love this design!

ProfHotpants


quality posts: 49 Private Messages ProfHotpants
Re: Shell Competition



Yep, I checked it out. It's cool. The print file is only six colors.

superspryte


quality posts: 21 Private Messages superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

TygerFish wrote:Of COURSE the Dragon would do this. It turned out great... but stuck down in 18th place? People have no taste!


Of course. But...nobody knows me as that here. ^_~

As for the low rank, that might be because I submitted it early Saturday morning and missed the initial rush. It might be a lot of things. Needless to say now that they've upped the ante I don't think I'll ever get printed.

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | tg.w: 0 | sp.w: 0 | a.w: 0 | k.w: 0 | s.w: 15 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

superspryte


quality posts: 21 Private Messages superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

sailstud25 wrote:this looks awesome on the deep red of cranberry... adds to the richness of the gold and your amazing details really well.


Thanks! ^_^;

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | tg.w: 0 | sp.w: 0 | a.w: 0 | k.w: 0 | s.w: 15 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

endejester


quality posts: 0 Private Messages endejester
cwilco01 wrote:cuteness!!!!!!! I want one



Thank you <3

Josephus


quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
Aberrantic wrote:Hmm, I too interpret it as an act of selfish disobedience, but one of Hubris, not Greed. Icarus isn't greedy to gain new heights (I think that's what you're trying to argue), he's overly prideful of the new ability to fly, and disregards his father's warnings. I've seen this myth used in modern culture situations as well, but only pertaining to situations of hubris, although it may be hubris that causes the people to be greedy.



I just think he's a teenager, and living in the moment, not having paid attention to his father. It is a universal truth, one that we all know and have seen many times, both as teenagers and parents.

superspryte


quality posts: 21 Private Messages superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

sailstud25 wrote:hahaha, I love it... but with regard to scale, that's either not the 2.5 lb ball, or that's a big rat!
gmv!


My friend's dad had a huge rat named George W (he says politicians are rats so he names all his rats after them) and he was so tub o' butter that he was about as wide as he was long...so he was like a big circle. But if you ever put a piece of pizza crust near him he could grab and hang on to that crust like an athlete.

< / tangent >

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | tg.w: 0 | sp.w: 0 | a.w: 0 | k.w: 0 | s.w: 15 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

candrey


quality posts: 0 Private Messages candrey
Re: Oooo Shiney!


Oh my gosh, I don't know what you were thinking with this one. Awful placement. Bad color choice. No cute monkeys?




: )

mjl9320


quality posts: 0 Private Messages mjl9320

I'll be surprised if this doesn't win.

bluchez


quality posts: 2 Private Messages bluchez
snarkygal wrote:EDIT: But I must add that those monkeys look awfully familiar ......



FWIW, I think this rejection just illustrates the fact that people should be more up front with their non-original sources. I felt it was pretty obvious that the older shirt used a clip art monkey (but never felt like embracing the flood of negative responses that I would receive had I mentioned it), and after seeing this entry immediately assumed that it was using the same clip art, and not that it was a copy. I could of course be wrong here, but I think this seems more logical then that one was traced from the other. However, since the artists of both entries failed to mention that they were using clip art and indicated their legal rights to use the images, this entry got the axe. (If I am wrong and this was traced from the previous entry, then sorry or the rant, but shame on you.)

The lack of disclosure actually prevents my votes, at times. Specifically, in this derby, I would love to see some of the dragon sources that were used. There are a couple of high ranking dragon entries that I would only vote for if I knew how much original work was involved. Nothing against the artists, but I've just seen too much copied, traced, or unoriginal work to vote for things that look too detailed without confirmation of what is original.

Amach06


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Amach06
dsladek wrote:thanks a bunch dude!



Is this your first shirt design?

Well there is always next year....

AttilaTheMom


quality posts: 5 Private Messages AttilaTheMom
DirtiusMaximus wrote:Sorry, I promise not to use white every time, but I just couldn't make myself change it on this one.



I like the white. Love the illustration on this, you did a great job.

AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH........ whatever.

AttilaTheMom


quality posts: 5 Private Messages AttilaTheMom
eHalcyon wrote:So photoshop filter... but is this purely a photograph, or did you chop the bone in? Please tell me your dog doesn't actually have a bone that big. If it does, what kind of bone is it? XP



I gave my dog a big leg bone from a steer or whatever for one christmas. It was almost as big as she is l o l, she gave me a 'are you nuts?' look, licked it once or twice and then left it to collect dust for the next 6 mo. She does love her rawhide chews though.

AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH........ whatever.

Turbotuff


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Turbotuff
sailstud25 wrote:the huge gas guzzling SUV is obviously the greed... especially juxtaposed with the small cars, and LOVE the scooter in there

is this on heather grey, or is there a solid grey?



I wouldn't really think of it as greed but rather hating the environment but I can still understand how people associate it with greed

bluchez


quality posts: 2 Private Messages bluchez
AttilaTheMom wrote:I gave my dog a big leg bone from a steer or whatever for one christmas. It was almost as big as she is l o l, she gave me a 'are you nuts?' look, licked it once or twice and then left it to collect dust for the next 6 mo. She does love her rawhide chews though.



I have 2 dogs. One of them waits for the other to chew on the bones for a bit until they soften up, then steals it. The other will just switch to a new bone at that point. When that dog was a puppy, he would drag huge bones around by one end when he couldn't lift them, but still devour the whole thing.

netshark


quality posts: 0 Private Messages netshark
Re: Shell Competition



Excellent design. A+ Would vote again.

I really like the colors used. It's #1 on the hotness, so heres hoping it can make into the top 3.

ejseader


quality posts: 1 Private Messages ejseader
Re: Elephant Style



I'm kind of disappointed in Woot for deleting my comments from this page. I didn't think censorship was in their vocabulary, but I guess now I know where their political affiliations lie. Next time I'll make a joke about Democrats so it doesn't get rejected.

"We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home." - Edward R. Murrow

mjpupillo


quality posts: 0 Private Messages mjpupillo
bluchez wrote:FWIW, I think this rejection just illustrates the fact that people should be more up front with their non-original sources. I felt it was pretty obvious that the older shirt used a clip art monkey (but never felt like embracing the flood of negative responses that I would receive had I mentioned it), and after seeing this entry immediately assumed that it was using the same clip art, and not that it was a copy. I could of course be wrong here, but I think this seems more logical then that one was traced from the other. However, since the artists of both entries failed to mention that they were using clip art and indicated their legal rights to use the images, this entry got the axe. (If I am wrong and this was traced from the previous entry, then sorry or the rant, but shame on you.)

The lack of disclosure actually prevents my votes, at times. Specifically, in this derby, I would love to see some of the dragon sources that were used. There are a couple of high ranking dragon entries that I would only vote for if I knew how much original work was involved. Nothing against the artists, but I've just seen too much copied, traced, or unoriginal work to vote for things that look too detailed without confirmation of what is original.



i appreciate your rant, as that is the case. it must be the same clip art. i didn't undestand the need to disclose my legal rights to use clip art. thank you for assuming that i did not trace another entry, as i would not do that.

i also appreciate your honesty about voting for original work. i have learned my lesson here and will stick to hand drawn original works in the future.

to everyone who voted for my idea, thank you. next time i'll execute without the aid of clipart. i wish the reason for rejection would be changed, however, to reflect what happened. i did not trace another entry and anyone who fails to click on the rejected image will think that i did.

thanks,

mjpupillo



ejseader


quality posts: 1 Private Messages ejseader
Re: Elephant Style



And I got over 60 votes before you rejected it, so at least there are some people who believe in Free Speech...

"We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home." - Edward R. Murrow

tallworm


quality posts: 0 Private Messages tallworm
AnnaHaecherl wrote:Ha! LOOFA! Very nice.



Thanks for the comments and the votes. My beagle Clark Griswold (my model and inspiration) will appreciate it!

mjl9320


quality posts: 0 Private Messages mjl9320
BrIanPir wrote:Very realistic looking. How is this about greed, tho? I'd vote for the art itself, but I need to understand the greed part first.



It's not a pig clenching money, so I see where the confusion comes from. However, to answer your question- Planting a flag is somewhat synonymous with claiming land. This design illustrates Americans being greedy by claiming land that isn't really theirs. After all, it belongs to the aliens because they were there first, right?

tgentry


quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

Re: take take take



This is a great design! I can't believe it's not doing better. GMV.

squidboots


quality posts: 2 Private Messages squidboots
Aberrantic wrote:Hmm, I too interpret it as an act of selfish disobedience, but one of Hubris, not Greed. Icarus isn't greedy to gain new heights (I think that's what you're trying to argue), he's overly prideful of the new ability to fly, and disregards his father's warnings. I've seen this myth used in modern culture situations as well, but only pertaining to situations of hubris, although it may be hubris that causes the people to be greedy.



No. I'm arguing that he is greedy with the feeling. He wants more of it, or at least to maintain it despite the danger, so he flies higher. I just wanted to submit something that depicts a situation of something other than materialistic greed...and particularly, to go against the grain of the "insert-your-favorite-animal guarding a horde of animal's-stereotypically-favorite-food" formula. ;)

slysappysucker


quality posts: 0 Private Messages slysappysucker
dsladek wrote:yeah its unfortunate that I didn't get mine posted before the monkeys shirt... but oh well. thanks for the comments!



well its obvious WHY you didn't get yours posted before the monkey shirt...
it takes a bit longer to create original art with a vector illustration program than to slap some clip art together... is clip art even allowed? ah well, it got rejected anyway.
congrats on the votes! you're almost to the fog.

squidboots


quality posts: 2 Private Messages squidboots
Re: Stealerpillar



*giggles*! Very creative :D

Beefcoat


quality posts: 2 Private Messages Beefcoat
Re: I drink your milkshake, I drink it up.



GMV! I love the title! Got a full blown giggle from me.