thewarrior

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thewarrior
Re: Eat until nothings left

great concept, but feel it could be alot better...it is quite difficult to make out that one side is a skull

redghia69

quality posts: 1 Private Messages redghia69
mjc613 wrote:I love the contrast between the animal's serious expressions and the ring's.

Thanks mjc. I imagine them finding this ring in the middle of the forest and a crusade ensues....

superspryte

quality posts: 21 Private Messages superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

Re: Dragon's Hoard

Apparently posting your process is all the rage for the dragon shirts (at the request of bluchez). I have no sources for this dragon but here's the sketches for the process... (click for larger images)

First, I tend to draw on lined paper because it's what I have and I'm moving to Japan so I want to get rid of it before I leave. ^_~ Some people really freak out about it but I don't mind. I finished the head first because head-to-body ratio sometimes gives me trouble if I don't have an exact face in mind, sometimes even if I do. Then I outlined his wings. I wanted them a little more ragged because his head and tail are so flowy.

Normally I ink it all at once but his body was giving me some trouble and people wanted to see what I was working on. Unfortunately, the work on him was split up because I was busy. Not having that continuity killed me and I feel like I should've had this done at noon, but whatever. Anyway, that's his head pretty much finished and the beginnings of the body.

Added some scales, inked the tail, added some shading underneath the tail, which then forced me to add scales to the entire tail and rest of body because I didn't like the way they looked. Really I didn't want to fill the whole thing in with scales because I was lazy. Figures, right?

The finished outline, pre-editing. All I did was remove the lines in photoshop, the pencil lines were erased before I scanned this version into the puter. Yay hand drawing! ^_^ The gold was added after I finished colorzing him. I made a small clump of gold that I layered around 50 times to make the gigantor heap. Hopefully you can't tell. ^_~

Also, here's the two uploaded versions I have of the colorizing process. The first is what I posted in the Derby Cyberpub and the second is the final version pre-gold.

Not sure if that's what you were going for blu, but there you have it. I hope you read all of it.

PS - Now will you vote for it? ^_^;

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | tg.w: 0 | sp.w: 0 | a.w: 0 | k.w: 0 | s.w: 15 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

cleverconveyence wrote::[

Yeah, f­ail

How fail?

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | tg.w: 0 | sp.w: 0 | a.w: 0 | k.w: 0 | s.w: 15 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

sailstud25

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sailstud25
redghia69 wrote:One happy face ring to rule them all
Ok, a parody -- beyond greed for money is the desire (greed) for power, even absolute power, as is the main theme of LotR, and it was a movie poster of the same which inspired this design...

not a big LotR fan, but neat execution of the parody... their expressions are great, but the weasels didn't quite work IMHO.

Looks like you had a lot of fun with this one though! You seem to love the rodents, yeah? :*)

Hmm, just went in for 3 Randoms, when I haven't bought any shirts lately (although still checking frequently) so what are the chances of liking them!?! Oh well, couldn't pass up the mystery!
...a number of shirts on teetrade.com

trippregan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages trippregan

Hey, thanks Emilily... the intention was actually to go more that route, but I ran out of my allotted time I gave myself for this Derby, so I just reduced the concept to the Midas touch... Ooops!

It's my fault really, but I'll be back! I'll be back I swear it!!!!

See y'all soon...

Master the Cap•A•Cooz and you've mastered life

redghia69

quality posts: 1 Private Messages redghia69
sailstud25 wrote:...Looks like you had a lot of fun with this one though! You seem to love the rodents, yeah? :*)

Yeah, took a few tries, but then started to work -- I'm still learning. Rodentia seemed to fit the bill on this one. It's been 4 weeks since I drew anything furry, so you can't peg me for rodents only :-). And an owl seemed right for Gandalf. Thanks for the comment!

mjl9320

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mjl9320
redghia69 wrote:No kidding. I don't usually vote for a lot of entries, and usually the less popular at that, but this one got my vote early. Not for me to wear, but in the hopes that others will get the chance. The amount of expression portrayed with those few simple lines (not even a mouth) gets me every time I look at it.

voting for a shirt you don't want to buy... awesome

dasmonkeyboy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dasmonkeyboy
thewarrior wrote:great concept, but feel it could be alot better...it is quite difficult to make out that one side is a skull

Actually I did a remix... after I posted this one, I noticed the similarity to the ying-yang. So, I bared a little more skull, made the worms smaller and a bit more detailed.

I just never vectored it and resubbed...

SamoaJoe

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SamoaJoe
Re: The Tycoon of ICE

As I've said 3 times now, only to have all 3 deleted, in my opinion this is an ugly shirt. I don't like the colors, don't like the theme, and don't believe it's something I'd wear without feeling really out of place. It's a perfect shirt for children, but not for any self-respecting adult IMO.

VOTE FOR DEREK !!!

Nightmare on Wall Street

KenSPT

quality posts: 0 Private Messages KenSPT
Re: Oooo Shiney!

Easily my favorite shirt of the Derby thus far, great job.

easeandgrace

quality posts: 0 Private Messages easeandgrace
Re: Now the Moon the Sun could wait til Morning (resub

This is a GREAT design. I really like the simplicity.

If you happen not to win, there's always Zazzle.com, where you can upload your high-res designs and have them available instantly to the public for sale. (Woot has a 60-day waiting period for designs that have been submitted in their derbies, of course).

sparklzk27

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sparklzk27
Jemmacakes wrote:I like the dog in this one and the perspective, nice job! GMV!

thanks so much for the vote and the comment!

netshark

quality posts: 0 Private Messages netshark
Rainbowsaurus wrote:To make this gluttony, there would have to be someone eating it. I see it working for greed as someone wants to keep the cupcake so they put it on a trap so no one else will touch it.

Great design though, definitely my favorite!

That isn't greed either. What if it is the only cupcake they have, and they are using it as bait in hopes of catching an animal for more food to stay alive. Greed is essentially "Wanting more than what someone needs". Which this shirt in no way shows. I wish it would get rejected already, woot sure is wacky with what gets rejected and what doesn't.

kar131313

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kar131313

Are the bags clear with something floating in them, or are those shadows showing bulges?

kar131313

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kar131313
Re: Greedy Elf

I love him! Great artwork.

Vid4554

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Vid4554
Bryan818 wrote:no i was eating lunch at work, with my boss breathing down my neck...

but i love the penguin

TTan777

quality posts: 0 Private Messages TTan777

Hey thanks! it's my first try, so whoo!

richpowell

quality posts: 0 Private Messages richpowell

[quote]Re: For The Love Of Money
[/hello]
Whoops...a little mistake on my part...the oval near the bottom is off register. Fear not, I've fixed it.

bluchez

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bluchez
superspryte wrote:Apparently posting your process is all the rage for the dragon shirts (at the request of bluchez).
(...)
Not sure if that's what you were going for blu, but there you have it. I hope you read all of it.

PS - Now will you vote for it? ^_^;

Definitely. I really appreciate the response. It was really more of my attempt at helping mjp feel a little better about his entry, but I definitely appreciate the work that you and redghia both have shown. I tend to like to see progress shots and am too sleighted towards only wanting original artwork (I'm talking about what I like to see, and what I vote for, not what woot accepts or is "good"). I try not to just point out clipart used or curiosity about source material (at this point, I have many times in the past), so unfortunately, sometimes suspicion will actually prevent me from voting for something. I'm glad that you girls (?) took my comment to mean something, and put forth the effort to show off your detailed work. Thanks again.

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

Re: Expensive Lemonade (resub)

Not as funny without the text.

Also, I think they've been rejecting everything showing actual money. This is probably stylized enough not to matter but I wanted to let you know. ^_^

bluchez

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bluchez
redghia69 wrote:I noticed bluchez's request for sources on dragon entries in one of the other entry threads.
(...)
Anyhow, that's my story. If the end result is working for you, I appreciate the vote!

Thanks for the info. Good looking dragon. You can see a bit longer thanks under spryte's entry, but it was meant for both of you.

Fishface13

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Fishface13
aerodino wrote:Vote Hermit Crab!!!!!

Great artwork! And I love hermitcrabs!

phunkygrl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages phunkygrl

I would also wear this. I haven't yet made a woot purchase, haven't really seen anything I like. This is could be my first. More people need to vote.

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

bluchez wrote:Definitely. I really appreciate the response. It was really more of my attempt at helping mjp feel a little better about his entry, but I definitely appreciate the work that you and redghia both have shown. I tend to like to see progress shots and am too sleighted towards only wanting original artwork (I'm talking about what I like to see, and what I vote for, not what woot accepts or is "good"). I try not to just point out clipart used or curiosity about source material (at this point, I have many times in the past), so unfortunately, sometimes suspicion will actually prevent me from voting for something. I'm glad that you girls (?) took my comment to mean something, and put forth the effort to show off your detailed work. Thanks again.

Yes, girls. It was kind of fun to write it all up, so no problem. In the future I'll probably continue to do this with entries I really like because I tend to send progress shots back and forth with a couple people anyway. Although I tend to dislike my designs after looking at them for so long. Hee. Anyway, glad you read it and stuff. ^_^

In the future if you're ever curious about my work please ask and I'll post the process, depending on what I have saved. Most of my work is loosely based off of some photo I take (often it's just me in a mirror posing or holding stuff so I can get the shape I want). This time, like I said, it came out of nowhere.

wootvan

quality posts: 63 Private Messages wootvan
SamoaJoe wrote:As I've said 3 times now, only to have all 3 deleted, in my opinion this is an ugly shirt. I don't like the colors, don't like the theme, and don't believe it's something I'd wear without feeling really out of place. It's a perfect shirt for children, but not for any self-respecting adult IMO.

So Joe, since you think "It's a perfect shirt for children," then buy two or three. How often do you find a "perfect" garment?

CCarnage

quality posts: 0 Private Messages CCarnage

Awesome shirt, I'll be sad if this isn't chosen.... I'm totally buying one if it is.

4/1/2008 Random Crap 3
1 Shirt.Woot! "Angry Day"

wootvan

quality posts: 63 Private Messages wootvan

Wonderful work...gmv...but is it "greed" or "risk management"?

ejseader

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ejseader
Re: Running on Empty

What does this have to do with "greed"?

"We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home." - Edward R. Murrow

Apriori

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Apriori
Re: There can be only one

This shirt is off the hook.
And if AdderXYZ doesn't like it, it totally gets my vote anyways.

fishyboner

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fishyboner
mjc613 wrote:I had the same thought as Jaden. Shakespeare used that phrase in his play Othello to refer to envy. I was about to ask why this was greed, when I read redghia's comment about the cash. I had to look again to see that's what the monster was sitting on. I originally thought it was a bow!

So while this is a great drawing, I don't think of greed when I see this, just a monster.

well, Moneys Green!
and money can make monsters out of us all.

mikebrinkerhoff

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mikebrinkerhoff

The Sad Monkey looks even more sad with the big bad REJECTED in front of it. I would have bought this one - it's been quite a while since there's been a design I really liked!

keyser520

quality posts: 0 Private Messages keyser520
Re: There can be only one

Thanks for the compliments. I had the idea this weekend, but didn't have a chance to implement it until yesterday afternoon (was at a dance workshop/exchange all weekend, which meant dancing from 8 pm to 4 am, classes from 11 am to 6 pm, and having to fit in food and sleep. (I had 9 hours of sleep total from the time I took off on the airplane Friday until I landed at 8:50 AM Monday morning).

I fear this was submitted to late to make it.. but I would love to be proven wrong on that! VOTE!

iris420

quality posts: 1 Private Messages iris420

Yes, I like this shirt.

Carpe shirtem!

nulli

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nulli
SamoaJoe wrote:As I've said 3 times now, only to have all 3 deleted, in my opinion this is an ugly shirt. I don't like the colors, don't like the theme, and don't believe it's something I'd wear without feeling really out of place. It's a perfect shirt for children, but not for any self-respecting adult IMO.

The reason you most likely are being deleted is because you are spewing hate that is subjective with no basis to back it up except you hate hate it. You have no Woot purchases or any submissions but you want to attack this design? You have taken no risk, contributed nothing. You have appeared here just to bash penguins. The truth is out you work for the greedy penguin tycoons. The Penguin Liberation Organization (yes the PLO) is growing in numbers and soon the penguins will be free. Slave penguins are escaping though the Frozen Railroad in increasing numbers everyday. The penguin tycoon days are numbered.

richpowell

quality posts: 0 Private Messages richpowell
Re: Oooo Shiney!

Excellent illustration, really funny! I see this is your first foray into a contest here. Me too. Do you illustrate for a living? Let me know, I'd love to chat.
-Rich

SkekTek

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek
superspryte wrote:Not as funny without the text.

Also, I think they've been rejecting everything showing actual money. This is probably stylized enough not to matter but I wanted to let you know. ^_^

I know... but I thought that the $100 bill was the best I could do. OF course, the rejections (IMO) of Benjamin have been because they were too close to the original- I modified it quite a bit (used a different source picture, made him smirk, deleted details that weren't so important but left his face). If the rejecterator still says no, I couldn't do this design then... oh well, haven't been rejected yet this contest.

erinlein

quality posts: 0 Private Messages erinlein
Re: The Tycoon of ICE

okay, how bout a new character?

eyeslikesugar

quality posts: 2 Private Messages eyeslikesugar
Re: Udderly Greedy

I love the look on the cow getting shafted; it's like, "Hey wait a second..."

-James Cho -EdgarRMcherly Shirt.Woot.Com - Ye Oldest Sucker - 2009

highgrassfarm

quality posts: 0 Private Messages highgrassfarm
eyeslikesugar wrote:I love the look on the cow getting shafted; it's like, "Hey wait a second..."

Thanks! This one was really fun.