ansharp

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ansharp
Re: The Tycoon of ICE

This shirt is obviously well done, but I, like others, don't think it conveys greed nearly as well as some other top-ten entries (ahem-tgentry's-ahem Excuse me!). And the fact that it's another penguin entry from Cho, who could do ANYTHING successfully, makes me sad. I know he hasn't had a winning entry in several weeks now, but I don't think that should mean pandering to the simplistic voters who obviously prefer boring, anthropomorphic cartoon characters over creativity and art. Cho, you are a great artist and a wonderful designer, and I would expect more out of you.

jjchampion

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jjchampion
Re: take take take

Love this. Great colors, and the hands evoke the work of Saul Bass or Art Chantry.

It makes my heart sad that there are like 5 dragons-hoarding-gold shirts ahead of this one in the voting.

Carissima17

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Carissima17

I really like this shirt! I love penguins, and so does my little sister. If this one wins, I will be in for two. I have so many woot shirts now, and I totally wear them to work, including several cho designs. I am 24, which technically makes me an adult, but I think that the t-shirts help me show that I am not a boring cubicle gopher.

Cynthia

mjc613

quality posts: 47 Private Messages mjc613
ansharp wrote:This shirt is obviously well done, but I, like others, don't think it conveys greed nearly as well as some other top-ten entries (ahem-tgentry's-ahem Excuse me!). And the fact that it's another penguin entry from Cho, who could do ANYTHING successfully, makes me sad. I know he hasn't had a winning entry in several weeks now, but I don't think that should mean pandering to the simplistic voters who obviously prefer boring, anthropomorphic cartoon characters over creativity and art. Cho, you are a great artist and a wonderful designer, and I would expect more out of you.

This was Cho's second entry, an. His first one, which is more complex, is molding in 8th place. I think he sent this one in just for fun. And wouldn't you know.....

SailorButterfly

quality posts: 14 Private Messages SailorButterfly
Re: All your dollies are belong to us.

I'm surprised this didn't get rejected if it really isn't legit even though the shirt submitted after it was rejected. Did noone who posted the links to pictures tattle?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The "Most Awesome Butterfly-Sailor Hybrid on Woot"

amydiana83

quality posts: 0 Private Messages amydiana83
Re: Just... one... more...

Really like the idea, design, and color choices. =) Would be nice to see more girly and/or yellow shirts on here.

My only concern is how it would look from a distance, or until you got up close... a large, off-center red spot, lol.

Still, GMV, and I hope you submit again. =)

mjc613

quality posts: 47 Private Messages mjc613
SailorButterfly wrote:I'm surprised this didn't get rejected if it really isn't legit even though the shirt submitted after it was rejected. Did noone who posted the links to pictures tattle?

I'm guessing that someone did tattle. However, this close to the end of the derby, joel rarely pays attention to entries that aren't close to the fog. They are getting ready for the next derby and for selecting the shirts for the weekend.

sailstud25

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sailstud25
aerodino wrote:Oh yes! Checked the site this a.m. and it's in the Final Four!!!!

Come on!
Give it a chance to be aerodino's first woot! hahaha... just poking fun at ya, aero.

Vote for the little crab!

Hmm, just went in for 3 Randoms, when I haven't bought any shirts lately (although still checking frequently) so what are the chances of liking them!?! Oh well, couldn't pass up the mystery!
...a number of shirts on teetrade.com

mjcampbell77

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mjcampbell77

This is my first submission, and I'll be the first one to say 'pull it' if it's deemed illegit. I openly admit I grabbed the image from the web. I checked with my husband (who's purchased multiple woot shirts), and he pointed out one of his recent buys - http://s3-external-1.amazonaws.com/wootsaleimages/Rampage_Wear6juDetail.jpg - had elements pulled directly from the web - in fact, off of another tee. We decided since I wasn't just grabbing the image and slapping it on the shirt, but changing it up, it became a derivative work. Again, if not, sorry!

superspryte

quality posts: 21 Private Messages superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

Re: Dragon's Hoard

A little last-minute love for the red dragon? ^_^

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | tg.w: 0 | sp.w: 0 | a.w: 0 | k.w: 0 | s.w: 15 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

bsimms

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bsimms

the journey this shirt has made into the fog corresponds so freaking well with this shirt, its just blowin my mind. go little crab gooo I want you so bad!

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

mjcampbell77 wrote:This is my first submission, and I'll be the first one to say 'pull it' if it's deemed illegit. I openly admit I grabbed the image from the web. I checked with my husband (who's purchased multiple woot shirts), and he pointed out one of his recent buys - http://s3-external-1.amazonaws.com/wootsaleimages/Rampage_Wear6juDetail.jpg - had elements pulled directly from the web - in fact, off of another tee. We decided since I wasn't just grabbing the image and slapping it on the shirt, but changing it up, it became a derivative work. Again, if not, sorry!

The difference is the piece from Rampage Wear was clipart that the artist was allowed to use commercially. Taking a random photo from the internet is not quite the same thing, but if you missed the conversation about that shirt you wouldn't have known.

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | tg.w: 0 | sp.w: 0 | a.w: 0 | k.w: 0 | s.w: 15 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
mjcampbell77 wrote:This is my first submission, and I'll be the first one to say 'pull it' if it's deemed illegit. I openly admit I grabbed the image from the web. I checked with my husband (who's purchased multiple woot shirts), and he pointed out one of his recent buys - http://s3-external-1.amazonaws.com/wootsaleimages/Rampage_Wear6juDetail.jpg - had elements pulled directly from the web - in fact, off of another tee. We decided since I wasn't just grabbing the image and slapping it on the shirt, but changing it up, it became a derivative work. Again, if not, sorry!

I guess I'd pull it if I were you. The changes you made were pretty minor -to change it from a photo to a few colors? That doesn't strike me as a particularly substantive alteration. But, I'd like to know your description of the changes you made, I'm more than happy to change my opinion.

The rampage wear shirt did seem to have a Godzilla design that was also used on another t-shirt previously, I agree. However, I'd expect that Godzilla design couldn't be copyrighted as it is a derivative work itself. The person who made up the first shirt may have drawn Godzilla themselves, but Godzilla almost certainly belongs to someone else. In addition, both shirts can be argued to be a parody of Godzilla, as the woot shirt seems to mean, 'curb your dinosaur', which to me is making fun of the whole Godzilla meme, and the other one is using Godzilla to make fun of 'n00bs', something that Godzilla wouldn't be likely to do, as Godzilla, like Chuck Norris, doesn't care if you're a n00b, he's going to kick your ass either way.

I expect though, that woot didn't know about the other shirt when they printed it, and they wouldn't have, had they known. that's just a hunch.

oh, I see that superspryte posted that it was clipart they had rights to- that means there was no question about whether the other shirt was OK- it WAS OK.

Maxatrillion

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Maxatrillion
Re: Shell Competition

Finally it made it into the fog

Roshz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Roshz

this is by far the best design i've seen for this derby. The clever idea and amazingly done image are perfect. I will definitely be getting one if it is in the top 3. I actually removed my votes from the penguin and slug so this one could make it back on top.

Keep on voting! This shirt rules.

AttilaTheMom

quality posts: 5 Private Messages AttilaTheMom
dsladek wrote:come on guys, we could still make it!... wow I just fell out of the fog and the new hotness all at the same time.
isn't there anyone else who wants this design? if you haven't voted please do. I would appreciate it greatly.

...I really need to pay rent this month.

since you probably wont get paid til june I hope you aren't serious. ;)

AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH........ whatever.

dsladek

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dsladek
Roshz wrote:this is by far the best design i've seen for this derby. The clever idea and amazingly done image are perfect. I will definitely be getting one if it is in the top 3. I actually removed my votes from the penguin and slug so this one could make it back on top.

Keep on voting! This shirt rules.

wow thanks a ton dude! that really means a lot to me. I hope your effort pays off. and I wish others would do the same. Im glad to see that some one is being selective on how they vote. if you want a desing to be printed then you cant vote for everything else too.

thanks for your support!

SailorButterfly

Re: All your dollies are belong to us.

Yeah, the problem lies with copyrights. That picture you used could be copyrighted by whoever took it, and Woot wouldn't be allowed to print it, even it was changed. I don't think they actually take the time to track down the photographer to see if it was copyrighted, so they're more likely to assume it is and just reject the shirt. Copyrights and fair use and etc. are a big, confusing, jumbled mess...and the best way to avoid it is just to use your own drawings or photographs. l o l

It wouldn't surprise me if whoever designed the Godzilla shirt had to prove to Woot the Godzilla image was clipart that was free and legal to use.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

cleverconveyence

quality posts: 1 Private Messages cleverconveyence
superspryte wrote:How fail?

Sorry, I was quoting what you said about how it will probably never get printed. It's a bummer.

Number of shirt.woots in 08: 23 (not counting randoms and shirts bought for friends)
number of shirt.woots in 09: 2 (same criteria)

dsladek

AttilaTheMom wrote:since you probably wont get paid til june I hope you aren't serious. ;)

june? really? I did not know this. but yes I am serious about the rent. Well if I do get printed then at least I know I have money coming, and I'll just take out a loan until then.

SailorButterfly

mjc613 wrote:I'm guessing that someone did tattle. However, this close to the end of the derby, joel rarely pays attention to entries that aren't close to the fog. They are getting ready for the next derby and for selecting the shirts for the weekend.

True, but he rejected the vampire shirt that was submitted after this one. He's been really good lately about rejecting stuff earlier and keeping up with rejections all the way to the end.

jzelts

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jzelts
amydiana83 wrote:Really like the idea, design, and color choices. =) Would be nice to see more girly and/or yellow shirts on here.

My only concern is how it would look from a distance, or until you got up close... a large, off-center red spot, lol.

Still, GMV, and I hope you submit again. =)

Aw, thanks for the support! And thanks for the comment, i will certainly keep it in mind the next time... of course, it's not getting printed, so we'll never know just how small it was going to be... ;)

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

cleverconveyence wrote:Sorry, I was quoting what you said about how it will probably never get printed. It's a bummer.

Ah, thanks. ^_^

AttilaTheMom

Aha! Now we have the truth about where bling comes from! All those paris hilton wannabee's who bling out their cell phones should know that bling has blood on it! I hear leo dicaprio is in talks for the movie version of 'blood bling - ice is not nice!'....

dsladek

dsladek wrote:june? really? I did not know this. but yes I am serious about the rent. Well if I do get printed then at least I know I have money coming, and I'll just take out a loan until then.

wow I don't know what to say. I am perplexed by the voters on woot. man this has discouraged me quite a bit. If all the voters want is recycled ideas then we should all just make penguin shirts. emotionless penguin shirts...

AttilaTheMom

dsladek wrote:wow I don't know what to say. I am perplexed by the voters on woot. man this has discouraged me quite a bit. If all the voters want is recycled ideas then we should all just make penguin shirts. emotionless penguin shirts...

don't be discouraged. you have amazing talent, it just sometimes takes awhile to click with woot voters. I wouldn't be surprised if this prints, it's funny and very well drawn. I won't be buying it because i don't like the placement or size and don't feel it's very well balanced, but I definitely look forward to more entries from you.

kpetrasko

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kpetrasko
sailstud25 wrote:Come on!
Give it a chance to be aerodino's first woot! hahaha... just poking fun at ya, aero.

Vote for the little crab!

Aww that'd be sad if he didn't get his first woot this week!

renebee73

quality posts: 3 Private Messages renebee73

I love it! Either Monty P rabbit (eeeee eeee eeee) or Bunnicula!!!!!

mumolabs

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mumolabs
Re: Oooo Shiney!

awesome!!!

netshark

quality posts: 0 Private Messages netshark
aerodino wrote:Oh yes! Checked the site this a.m. and it's in the Final Four!!!!

Just a heads up, check the website on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday at 1:00 A.M EST when the new shirt goes up. Because if this shirt is in the top 3, its likely to sell out in 1 or 2 hours. So if you wait till you wake up in the morning its more than likely going to be sold out and you'll have to pay $5 more the next day.

SkekTek

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek
Re: If I lick it, it's mine...

Is it time to ask for pity votes?

AttilaTheMom

SkekTek wrote:Is it time to ask for pity votes?

okay, voted. :P

lintbox

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lintbox

there's no way this won't get 1st.. gotta set a reminder for myself to get this shirt tonight! anyway, congrats in advance!

AtopMtOlympus

quality posts: 0 Private Messages AtopMtOlympus
peppersagooddog wrote:i will be nice to you since not everyone is nice to the newer crowd.
that isnt what he was saying.
spend a little time reading the hate for a while before you pick a side dear.
if the name cho is on something you are forced to love it or hate it. period. because the brilliant folk in woot say so.
some things cho makes are great and some kinda suck, but NOBODY in here comments that way. get used to the way it works m'kay?

Seriously. Chill.

Your internet elitism is exhausting. Get over it.

However, if one were to play your game, one would point out that aliencam has been a member longer than you have. Just because we more-often-than-not prefer to remain silent doesn't mean we aren't paying attention. Bah!

waacodemon

quality posts: 12 Private Messages waacodemon
lintbox wrote:there's no way this won't get 1st.. gotta set a reminder for myself to get this shirt tonight! anyway, congrats in advance!

seeing as it JUST made it into the fog? and the other shirts have been in the fog for a while...doesnt look good for this shirt really... i really wanted tgentrys shirt

I once ate a cricket.

dontwantaname

quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

Wow, it is in the fog!
I love the green shirt
I love the shells
I want this shirt!

It is the only shirt I gave all the family votes to this week.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

duhgonz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages duhgonz
Re: Choose One: Love, Money, Happiness

It's great!! Ithink the general public would agree with the choice made. I wanna shirt!

kpetrasko

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kpetrasko

Thanks everyone for getting the crab into the fog It being so close with so many awesome illustrations, I feel guilty now...

2thFairy

quality posts: 2 Private Messages 2thFairy
Re: MINE!

I'm not going to say what I really want to here, but I am really bummed out about this not being printed in this derby.

I will watch to see if you (tgentry) will put it up for sale with Best Losers (or similar) in 60 days.. (hopefully) ((PLEASE!!))

duhgonz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages duhgonz
phreekonature wrote:May be a tad big on the shirt, but I would still buy this. I love the way out there monster. Very creative

I agree, it is abit large. Maybe shrink it about 15% ....the contrasting colors really pop. Great job, where canI get one?