geekfactor12

quality posts: 11 Private Messages geekfactor12
tgentry wrote:Anyone else feel this is the VH1 of derby themes? Hey, I remember that product/event/person! Maybe I'm just bitter because nothing interesting happened in 1978, but I'm looking forward to when this one is over.

Heh, I agree 100%. I can honestly say there's not a single shirt in the derby I would buy so far this week (which, believe it or not, is a bit of a rarity). I guess nostalgia just doesn't do it for me. Plus, I'd rather see votes line up behind shirts with cool designs, not behind shirts that reference popular things- not sure I see that happening this week.

Webfoot08

quality posts: 6 Private Messages Webfoot08

Wondering why nobody's done one on ... dun dun dun...

THE TICK!!!

(1986)

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
tgentry wrote:Anyone else feel this is the VH1 of derby themes? Hey, I remember that product/event/person! Maybe I'm just bitter because nothing interesting happened in 1978, but I'm looking forward to when this one is over.

Hey, I graduated hig school in 1978! Somebody let a bunch of white mice go right during the valedictory speech and they ran all through the feet of the graduates. Lots of screams and laughter.

You can use that if you want!

Andy47240

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Andy47240
dekonstruct wrote:I personally think this derby is awesome, so many different topics and lots of creativity this time around. Pixel thrillers? Epic Trons? Bleeding Boomboxes? and there's even a rickroll! Seriously, what's not to love... This is one for the ages... get it?

This is a wonderful derby for sure. I am really enjoying learning about my birth year and everyone's take on their own.
This website tells you in list form all of the pertanant date of your year.
http://www.brainyhistory.com/years/1970.html just change the year.
-Andy

daedalusknight

quality posts: 1 Private Messages daedalusknight
Webfoot08 wrote:Wondering why nobody's done one on ... dun dun dun...

THE TICK!!!

(1986)

Heheh... first sporks, now spoons. :-)

derekfilley

quality posts: 0 Private Messages derekfilley

In case you missed it... click here to see me draw my design this week.

Check out my blog:Here!

redghia69

quality posts: 1 Private Messages redghia69
derekfilley wrote:In case you missed it... click here to see me draw my design this week.

Thanks Derek, enjoyed that. So much to learn.... Great concept/design this week.

sonicmna

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sonicmna

I don't understand peoples infatuation with 1984 when the book was written was published in 1949 ... just because the text is a year of birth it doesn't mean that the book should be used to represent it.

While it is a good book ... you can find something that actually happened in 1984 IMO

derekfilley

quality posts: 0 Private Messages derekfilley
sonicmna wrote:I don't understand peoples infatuation with 1984 when the book was written was published in 1949 ... just because the text is a year of birth it doesn't mean that the book should be used to represent it.

While it is a good book ... you can find something that actually happened in 1984 IMO

My motivation each week is to make a wearable shirt.

Dumb topic= more liberties taken by me. (For the record, the vote tally seems to indicate that you're right ;-)

Check out my blog:Here!

yeeter

quality posts: 1 Private Messages yeeter
derekfilley wrote:In case you missed it... click here to see me draw my design this week.

Thanks for putting that together Derek. I enjoy watching other people work. I love how you labored over what to put in the background. I personally like stars (see SPORK).

VOTE!

jimiyo

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jimiyo
geekfactor12 wrote:Heh, I agree 100%. I can honestly say there's not a single shirt in the derby I would buy so far this week (which, believe it or not, is a bit of a rarity).

i think you are sick. is everything ok?

ALTERNATIVE reply

YOURE TALKING CRAZY! GET AHOLD OF YOURSELF! (SLAPS FACE)

nulli

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nulli

I see a good amount of Chinese astrology, but no one has done the Rooster yet? They look good and i think there are a few jokes that you could muster up with one.

Discobiscuits

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Discobiscuits
yeeter wrote:Thanks for putting that together Derek. I enjoy watching other people work. I love how you labored over what to put in the background. I personally like stars (see SPORK).

Agreed. His video taught me how to do easy halftones, as well respect, yo.

JadenKale

quality posts: 181 Private Messages JadenKale
nulli wrote:I see a good amount of Chinese astrology, but no one has done the Rooster yet? They look good and i think there are a few jokes that you could muster up with one.

I'd do one, but I don't believe I have any ties to a rooster for me to do one. I just did the horse entry because of my birth year.

superspryte

quality posts: 21 Private Messages superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

I agree. These kinds of themes don't work too well (song lyrics, events in a year, etc) because people don't vote for the designs. They're voting on "oh, I remember that!" and the design itself may not be as wonderful as others but without that event recognition there will be no votes. Hopefully the next theme is something like "fire" (preferably a better theme than that) so we can have a good derby.

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | tg.w: 0 | sp.w: 0 | a.w: 0 | k.w: 0 | s.w: 15 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

superspryte

quality posts: 21 Private Messages superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

sonicmna wrote:I don't understand peoples infatuation with 1984 when the book was written was published in 1949 ... just because the text is a year of birth it doesn't mean that the book should be used to represent it.

But that's what they meant when they said you can use the year itself.

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | tg.w: 0 | sp.w: 0 | a.w: 0 | k.w: 0 | s.w: 15 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

thatrobert

quality posts: 26 Private Messages thatrobert

I'm not really a nostalgic person but I think there are several I'd wear. The list is clouded with plenty of "remember this" entries that don't add anything but I think a lot of them also added some interesting creativity to the mix. Different strokes I guess...

echolok

quality posts: 0 Private Messages echolok

(in reference to the radioactive towers entry)

Not to burst bubbles (so to speak) but there is nothing radioactive about those towers...they house water used for cooling the turbines. (ie I just learned this in my radiation health class)

Maybe it doesn't matter, but everyone associates those towers with radioactive waste..yet...it only holds water. Who loves useless information???

"if detective work were easy...everyone would be doing it."

TAYLORT5

quality posts: 1 Private Messages TAYLORT5

Hope I get to ride the wave of new hotness this week . you guys are the best did I ever tell you that? I mean it... totally cool the the max.
(votes in the last 3 hours)

You're on probation!

You've been put on posting probation for this post for this reason: Ok, I deleted it 3 times. Do you not get it? (24h) Personal attack/useless post.

Please stare at the scary cartoon dog for 20 hours and then try posting again.

dekonstruct

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dekonstruct
TAYLORT5 wrote:Hope I get to ride the wave of new hotness this week . you guys are the best did I ever tell you that? I mean it... totally cool the the max.
(votes in the last 3 hours)

Flattery will get you everywhere.

jimiyo

superspryte wrote:I agree. These kinds of themes don't work too well (song lyrics, events in a year, etc) because people don't vote for the designs. They're voting on "oh, I remember that!" and the design itself may not be as wonderful as others but without that event recognition there will be no votes. Hopefully the next theme is something like "fire" (preferably a better theme than that) so we can have a good derby.

I think it's OK though to have these type of derbies.

I think most experienced derby contestants are aware that if they do the one thing that hits the most people's memory banks. it will be the winner.

A smart one would play the game.

I was wondering before when everyone started in on the old skool video games, if the woot mass market was in the demographic to be attracted to video games.

For some reason, I imagine most woot voters/consumers to be farty middle to later aged people.

Although the aged farts would probably have children that begged them for Zelda.

But it seems hit or miss. The fog represents a wide consumer base.

BLAH BLAH BLAH.

jimiyo

dekonstruct wrote:Flattery will get you everywhere.

You are soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo awesome...

Will you go vote for my new DBH submission?

http://www.designbyhumans.com/vote/detail/11756

and the Obey/Metropark one once it gets approved?

I also need you, you most beautiful human being, to click on any of the links in my signature, and get yourself a badass arty shirt.

Thank you. You smart and sexy person.

ATho1100

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ATho1100

Please vote for my t-shirt ...pong rocks

daedalusknight

echolok wrote:Who loves useless information???

Oooh! Ooh! Me! I'm a font of useless knowledge. :-)

sokowa

quality posts: 3 Private Messages sokowa

Popped another one up
1979 . .the year Alien the movie was released.

Josephus

Its turns out that Freeman Dyson proposed the Dyson sphere in 1959. Of course, it requires dismantling of Saturn, Jupiter, Neptune, Uranus, the asteroid belt, probably the Oort cloud too, but when it's built, the energy crisis will be over.

...is this geeky enough? ;^)

eHalcyon

quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
ATho1100 wrote:Please vote for my t-shirt ...pong rocks

If you're going to beg for votes, a link would be useful.

But you should note that pong is going to get you rejected - someone else already did pong and they were rejected too.

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

daedalusknight

Josephus wrote:Its turns out that Freeman Dyson proposed the Dyson sphere in 1959. Of course, it requires dismantling of Saturn, Jupiter, Neptune, Uranus, the asteroid belt, probably the Oort cloud too, but when it's built, the energy crisis will be over.

Great concept. I love it. I wonder, though, if it wouldn't be cooler looking if the outside of the sphere was a different color than the (not yet totally enclosed) inside of the sphere? At least I think that's what you were going for there.

Also, Jupiter should be lighter in color. Great shirt concept, though!

Josephus

daedalusknight wrote:Great concept. I love it. I wonder, though, if it wouldn't be cooler looking if the outside of the sphere was a different color than the (not yet totally enclosed) inside of the sphere? At least I think that's what you were going for there.

Also, Jupiter should be lighter in color. Great shirt concept, though!

Jupiter isn't getting as much light...

your suggestions are good, but I don't have the colors to do those things. I had to have the red spot, which let me make mars red too (inside the sphere), and used the greyish blue color for the earth color and the color of Neptune. I have (1) nearly black; (2) medium grey; (3) white; (4) yellow; (5) red; and (6) greyish blue

I tried to make the outside of the sphere appear darker by using the nearly black for the framework lines, and the lighter grey for the lines inside the sphere.

dekonstruct

jimiyo wrote:You are soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo awesome...

Will you go vote for my new DBH submission?

http://www.designbyhumans.com/vote/detail/11756

and the Obey/Metropark one once it gets approved?

I also need you, you most beautiful human being, to click on any of the links in my signature, and get yourself a badass arty shirt.

Thank you. You smart and sexy person.

Your scarlet colored flattery has made my heart swoon and my fingers vote for your velvety creations...

Neat esty store, how well do things sell through there?

dekonstruct

Josephus wrote:Its turns out that Freeman Dyson proposed the Dyson sphere in 1959. Of course, it requires dismantling of Saturn, Jupiter, Neptune, Uranus, the asteroid belt, probably the Oort cloud too, but when it's built, the energy crisis will be over.

...is this geeky enough? ;^)

I didn't even know about the dyson sphere until now, that's really cool. This is why I like this derby topic.

KidCam

quality posts: 1 Private Messages KidCam

this derby is gonna suck for me...ima spend so much money
3 of the top 4 right now i would actually buy
argggg

daedalusknight

Josephus wrote:Jupiter isn't getting as much light...

Ha! Good point. :-)

Josephus wrote:your suggestions are good, but I don't have the colors to do those things. I had to have the red spot, which let me make mars red too (inside the sphere), and used the greyish blue color for the earth color and the color of Neptune. I have (1) nearly black; (2) medium grey; (3) white; (4) yellow; (5) red; and (6) greyish blue

I tried to make the outside of the sphere appear darker by using the nearly black for the framework lines, and the lighter grey for the lines inside the sphere.

Man, it's really tough to stay confined to six spot colors. Still, you did an excellent job, given the limitations.

Josephus

dekonstruct wrote:I didn't even know about the dyson sphere until now, that's really cool. This is why I like this derby topic.

There's a fabulous sci fi book by Larry Niven called Ringworld, about one of the versions of a Dyson sphere.

The sheer area that would be available just from a Dyson ring is mind boggling, let alone the surface of an entire Dyson sphere.

Though probably in 10 years, we'd have it full of junk. ;^)

jimiyo

dekonstruct wrote:Your scarlet colored flattery has made my heart swoon and my fingers vote for your velvety creations...

Neat esty store, how well do things sell through there?

they dont sell well... but its my fault. and its also been only a few weeks since i started. and i havent focused yet.

the key is posting in the forums, posting an item every day or every other day. with limited stock, one would have to post a shirt four times, for the different sizes. etc etc

it will work... once i get into the groove.

oh and thank you for the vote! ;j

mjc613

quality posts: 47 Private Messages mjc613

Jimi - just saw your uneetee shirt being featured on cheapofeed dot com and the post popular apparel deal of the day. Congrats! Even without clicking on it, I saw the style and knew it was yew.

keyser520

quality posts: 0 Private Messages keyser520

dekonstruct

Josephus wrote:There's a fabulous sci fi book by Larry Niven called Ringworld, about one of the versions of a Dyson sphere.

The sheer area that would be available just from a Dyson ring is mind boggling, let alone the surface of an entire Dyson sphere.

Though probably in 10 years, we'd have it full of junk. ;^)

10 years? I give it five!
Looks like I have another book to add to my pile of books to read. Thanks Josephus!

dekonstruct

jimiyo wrote:they dont sell well... but its my fault. and its also been only a few weeks since i started. and i havent focused yet.

the key is posting in the forums, posting an item every day or every other day. with limited stock, one would have to post a shirt four times, for the different sizes. etc etc

it will work... once i get into the groove.

oh and thank you for the vote! ;j

I keep telling my wife that too. I'm all like "The hours I spend on the computer will totally be justified when I'm raking in the money, so leave me alone." or something to that effect. This is why I got a couch that turns into a bed.

branmatt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages branmatt

Where is the love for Tron? I was sure this would be a hit. So far I think I'm wrong.

http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=13087