yeeter

quality posts: 1 Private Messages yeeter
Re: 1970, Spoon Fork =

In 1970, the Van Brode Milling Co. filed to register the term SPORK with the USPTO.

VOTE!

daedalusknight

quality posts: 5 Private Messages daedalusknight
Re: 1988 year of the dragon

Mmmm... Earth for breakfast... yummy. :-)

Patchitect

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Patchitect
Re: 1972: Watergate

1972...Year of the Rat.. and who was the biggest rat that year? Nixon for Watergate...

Andy47240

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Andy47240

Nice! I just used one of these about 2 hours ago.
-Andy

Andy47240

Re: 1977: 2600: A Video Game Odyssey

I smell a fog approaching. very cool Skaght.
-Andy

starryeyedsky

quality posts: 1 Private Messages starryeyedsky

Before going into the rest, I just wanted to say first off I love the shirt. It is very artistically done and quite cute. I must say I've always been a fan of your shirts Fablefire.

I know I'm going to get flack for this post but I figure since I'm actually a law student and am interested in Intellectual property I'd post what I know since there seems to be a little debate as to whether this is infringement. So is there copyright infringement? Short answer: murky. Could go either way. Depends on what exactly is copyrighted. (probably just the game name, likenesses of the characters, and the triforce, but I don't really know)

Long answer: here is why...
Armour v. Knowles, 512 F.3d 147, 152 (5th Cir. 2007) states that:
to prove copyright infringement, a plaintiff must establish (1) ownership of a valid copyright; (2) factual copying; and (3) substantial similarity.
(note to people who don't know, 5th circuit includes Texas among other states)

Other cases have said that the part that has been copied needs to be a portion of the copyrighted material that is protected under the copyright. Each individual item here would not be protected under the copyright, that is clear. But all together? I don't know, kind of a toss up. They paint a picture with a meaning behind them. The key is whether all together the items are protected under the copyright and if so, are the two things "substantially similar."

In general courts have defined substantial similarity by whether an ordinary observer would determine that the copyright has been infringed (without being told they are looking for infringement).

I'm not going to play myself off as an expert, I'm just a law student still. However, I'm really good at research and know a bit more about the law than most. So, in my un-experted opinion this shirt probably does not infringe because I doubt the items would be considered protected under the copyright. However, I believe the issue could be raised. But like I said, I can only look up in general what the law is, I don't know how the courts would decide this case if it came up, it is kind of a murky subject. I think the mario shirt that was submitted is a much more likely candidate than this.

JadenKale

quality posts: 181 Private Messages JadenKale
lilwerewolfgirl wrote:Apologizes about the other one i submitted the wrong file, this is a resubmit. x_x

Oh and the above pic is grainy o_O i can promise the dragon isn't grainy at all...... im so new at this XD;

I love this, and I'd probably wear it even though I'm 2 years off from year of the dragon (I'm a horse, astrologically speaking) but I have a concern that the comb is too close to the shirt color that it wouldn't be seen upon printing. Could that have been altered to be a more asphalt grey color, or perhaps a gold color? (god, I wish woot would use gold foil, that would accentuate this so well) I really do love the piece though, lilwere.

yeeter

Re: 1970: Jimi Earns His Wings

Nice job Andy. Good choice for our year too (I mean it's sad, but good because it is pretty significant event-wise).

VOTE!

Andy47240

This must be a girl dragon because she is very cute.
-Andy

jpolson

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jpolson
fillengroovy wrote:thanks Sailor. I'm afraid I don't get the above reference about similarities to another design?

I think he's talking about this.

http://shirt.woot.com/friends.aspx?k=4910

JadenKale

Yeeter, I officially hate your old butt. ROFL

I wish I could have done this. You did a very good job. I'm sure MJC will like it too (seeing she's been hinting oh so subtly about a good red woot shirt) Honestly, I could totally see lots of people wearing this during faire season coming up

skaght

quality posts: 0 Private Messages skaght

Thanks Andy. Wow, you commented even before I could!

Anyhoo, Atari 2600 and myself will both be 31 this year. I'm old.

ladywynn

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ladywynn

montron

quality posts: 0 Private Messages montron

Ovulating? My Goodness!, i love this, *giggles*

theamazingdanwayman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages theamazingdanwayman

yeaaa boiii

JadenKale

Patchitect wrote:1972...Year of the Rat.. and who was the biggest rat that year? Nixon for Watergate...

Ok, this is a nice combination without it screaming "political statement". I really like this, Patch.

superspryte

quality posts: 21 Private Messages superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

Re: 1972: Watergate

Very nice! ^_^

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | tg.w: 0 | sp.w: 0 | a.w: 0 | k.w: 0 | s.w: 15 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

artulo

quality posts: 13 Private Messages artulo
daedalusknight wrote:Okay. I don't know if I'll have the time to draw it, though.... complex technical drawing there.

Yeah the skylab took me a while. Time well spent, eh?

pacallen

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pacallen
Re: 1984: 3.5 inch floppy in 1.4k glory

I know I'm being nitpicky but anyone nerdy enough to wear this would notice too... The metal slide is backwards. All 3.5" floppy disks have that part slide to the left not to the right when viewed from the side you've pictured.

Andy47240

skaght wrote:Thanks Andy. Wow, you commented even before I could!

Anyhoo, Atari 2600 and myself will both be 31 this year. I'm old.

Those monkeys remind me of me and my brother when my dad brought our atari home. The square controllers bore a hole through our palms, but we loved it.
-Andy

theamazingdanwayman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages theamazingdanwayman

[quote]Re: well well well 1987
[/q

a kid fell down a well in 87

get it now

daedalusknight

JadenKale wrote:I love this, and I'd probably wear it even though I'm 2 years off from year of the dragon (I'm a horse, astrologically speaking) but I have a concern that the comb is too close to the shirt color that it wouldn't be seen upon printing. Could that have been altered to be a more asphalt grey color, or perhaps a gold color? (god, I wish woot would use gold foil, that would accentuate this so well) I really do love the piece though, lilwere.

Oh man, I didn't even think of that. Yes... the grey should be lighter. Maybe on a black shirt it would print better than on the navy?

And heck yes, this would be fabulous with gold colored foil.

daedalusknight

artulo wrote:Yeah the skylab took me a while. Time well spent, eh?

It will be, 60 days from now, when you can put it on a shirt somewhere else. :-)

lilwerewolfgirl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lilwerewolfgirl
daedalusknight wrote:Oh man, I didn't even think of that. Yes... the grey should be lighter. Maybe on a black shirt it would print better than on the navy?

And heck yes, this would be fabulous with gold colored foil.

im really new to this... if there was a way to fix the shirt color i would, it probably would look better on a black.

i agree with the gold foil @www@

Andy47240

Re: june 9 1991

I googled "june 9 1991" but I couldn't figure it out??
-Andy

yeeter

JadenKale wrote:Yeeter, I officially hate your old butt. ROFL

I wish I could have done this. You did a very good job. I'm sure MJC will like it too (seeing she's been hinting oh so subtly about a good red woot shirt) Honestly, I could totally see lots of people wearing this during faire season coming up

HA! High praise indeed. Thanks JadenKale. I really think this would be a funny shirt to have if it were to be printed.

VOTE!

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
hookajoe wrote:Nice, but wrong year. Al's debut album was 1983, and his first big hit "Eat It" was 1984.

weird al got picked up by the dr. demento show as early as 76.

daedalusknight

lilwerewolfgirl wrote:im really new to this... if there was a way to fix the shirt color i would, it probably would look better on a black.

i agree with the gold foil @www@

Remove your shirt by clicking the red X and then submit a new one on black and with a lighter color grey for the crest and other details.

peppersabaddog

quality posts: 1 Private Messages peppersabaddog

where were you in the professional dragon off last derby?
you would have won for best dragon lol

daedalusknight

AdderXYU wrote:weird al got picked up by the dr. demento show as early as 76.

Ah, those were the days. I remember listening to "Another One Rides the Bus" among others...

nardobolo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nardobolo
dselig wrote:?

It's from the old Atari video game, Adventure
Man. This makes me feel OLD.

dontwantaname

quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

Patchitect wrote:1972...Year of the Rat.. and who was the biggest rat that year? Nixon for Watergate...

My rats are insulted you compared them to Nixon!

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

montron

quality posts: 0 Private Messages montron
Re: 1985: flux capacitor 1.21

1.21 jiggawaaaaaatz!

lilwerewolfgirl

daedalusknight wrote:Remove your shirt by clicking the red X and then submit a new one on black and with a lighter color grey for the crest and other details.

Wouldnt that also get rid of the votes that have been placed on it though? @__@ Personally when i look at the shirt above i can see the differences in color perfectly... i think its the grainyness when it was converted to a jpeg that made it look blended, i can see a difference. I think im going to just keep it as is, Ill keep the contrast in mind next week when i try again XD thank you though.

lilwerewolfgirl

peppersabaddog wrote:where were you in the professional dragon off last derby?
you would have won for best dragon lol

XDD:; i just joined woot like, a week ago @___@; thank you though >_< <3

Graye

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Graye
Andy47240 wrote:I googled "june 9 1991" but I couldn't figure it out??
-Andy

During 1991 the Maloma coal mine was opened and the government decided to handle its export of sugar through the South African port of Durban due to problems they had been experiencing at the port of Maputo in Mozambique.

Either that or is is about the pollution of the paper mills in Sawziland.. it really is hard to tell what is going on in that small pict.

well at least what I could guess..

daedalusknight

lilwerewolfgirl wrote:Wouldnt that also get rid of the votes that have been placed on it though? @__@ Personally when i look at the shirt above i can see the differences in color perfectly... i think its the grainyness when it was converted to a jpeg that made it look blended, i can see a difference. I think im going to just keep it as is, Ill keep the contrast in mind next week when i try again XD thank you though.

It would get rid of the votes so far, yes. But people can always re-vote and you often get more votes if you resubmit a better quality shirt. There was a shirt called Pockets of Spring that went through like... what... four resubmits... five? It still made it to the fog and got printed. And the spring robot survived a resubmit too. You've only got twelve votes right now and it's still Friday. I'm sure you can get at least that many votes and more by making the crest stand out more with a lighter color. Up to you, though.

squidboots

quality posts: 2 Private Messages squidboots

lulz! Great design, GMV - here's hoping you see the fog!

nardobolo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nardobolo
hookajoe wrote:I don't care if the year is right or wrong. Your shirt rocks. GMV!

The album was released November 30th, 1982, so this still works. And still is awesome! (80's lingo, yo)

mia3mom

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mia3mom

gorgeous! A great red shirt, and so fun. Love the napkin -> shirt color. I'm a year younger, but I can pretend to be from the year of the spork.

I haven't used a spork in ages, but have some great memories of using them as catapults in school... GMV and would buy one as a belated birthday present for my brother, too.

& the Gaggle of Girls; so many shirts, so little space in the dresser!