Jemmacakes

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Jemmacakes
Re: 1982: Thriller

I like this version
girlie man

Tho, the shirt you have come up with here is spot on genius. gmv!

DSwarP

quality posts: 1 Private Messages DSwarP

So, as soon as I saw the derby subject, I go to wikipedia. I check out 1987, and see that Andy Warhol died that year. I think to myself, a death themed warhol, that would be perfect. Then, much to my dismay, I remembered that I was born in 1986. Then I saw this, and was like, goddamn, that was my idea.

True story.

shan24

quality posts: 3 Private Messages shan24
Re: 1985

How did PeeWee get into Excitebike? Gotta love it.

montron

quality posts: 0 Private Messages montron

Ben64

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Ben64
Re: 1985 - A Revolution in Gaming

Click here for a higher resolution version.

therodfather

quality posts: 0 Private Messages therodfather

Fable, so far I've bought all of your shirts, (without realizing they were all yours- Scurvy was my first shirt.woot) and this is clearly your best work yet. I love it.

devilpliers

quality posts: 0 Private Messages devilpliers

I really like this shirt, but the roots at the top are kinda weird. It fits the topic perfectly, but it would just be a weird shirt to wear with those roots..

Jes

bumpass

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bumpass

Hahahaha... I'll never forget

bumpass

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bumpass
Re: 1986: The Legend Was Born

Best year ever by golly

Zenne

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Zenne
Re: 1984: Robots in Disguise

This is a collaboration between me and jamescho84. He did the lines and came up with the idea, and I colored it.

superspryte

quality posts: 21 Private Messages superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

Re: 1974 - year of the tiger

I think shirts like this already exist. Apparently on several colors.

PS - Yours is better.

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | tg.w: 0 | sp.w: 0 | a.w: 0 | k.w: 0 | s.w: 15 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

<3

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | tg.w: 0 | sp.w: 0 | a.w: 0 | k.w: 0 | s.w: 15 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

wettoad

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wettoad
Re: 1975

very cool, nice job

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

nulli wrote:Nixon was a rat. Really Jan. 12, 1913 makes him one.

I was going to say no, 1912 was the Year of the Rat, but we're talking lunar calendar here... ^_^;

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

daedalusknight wrote:This will likely be rejected for not being PG-13. Not my personal opinion, but Woot has always rejected pot leaf shirts in the past.

Most of which were this person's designs to begin with.

wettoad

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wettoad
mia3mom wrote:1963, not 1965.

specifically November 22, 1963. My mom's 19th birthday.

there's now a "ride" in Dallas where you can go down the street in a vintage car and get shot at. The world is a scary place.

No way! unfrickingbelievable

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

Discobiscuits wrote:It's a parody. I used no actual text found on the gameboy, and the shape is altered to not look like the Game Boy 100%. Parody = OK

I know parody's okay. Still looks mighty close, but then again, I haven't gone and compared to anything, although there's a picture on the wikipedia page if I remember correctly.

fillengroovy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fillengroovy
jenny78 wrote:I really like the van, but the road looks like a big snake.

Snakes are long and winding...

tass

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tass

It's too bad about the text thing. Having lived thru '68, this is one shirt I'd REALLY want. (You listening, Woot? Find a way to print it, please!)

Nice job zenwill. Now if you could fit in references to the Chicago convention, the soviet union invading czeckslovakia, LBJ dropping out of the presidency, ...

JadenKale

quality posts: 179 Private Messages JadenKale

I had wondered about that upon looking at the thumbnail. I was sure it was just Cho's. Nice collaboration!

JadenKale

Re: 1984 - Year of the RaTerminator

This probably would have been far better had you designed it yourself rather than vector the picture - http://www.praeparate.com/bilder/galerie/bild10.jpg. The eye gets lost in such a flat piece anyway. You have 6 colors to work with and you seriously could have used them to your advantage and instead it just comes off very flat. And even though you attempted a shadow, that would never be seen on the shirt. It's too close to the shirt color for it to be noticeable.

squidboots

quality posts: 2 Private Messages squidboots
Discobiscuits wrote:What shirt color is that...?

Navy, as listed on the entry page (pantone 532). I didn't get the color from the palette given on the artist template because it is not the color they print their shirts on.

skaght

quality posts: 0 Private Messages skaght
mia3mom wrote:I know no one would ever resub a fogged entry, but I wish this had only one row of MJ. It's a great concept and a cool implementation, it just feels like too much of a good thing.

However, since it looks like I'm in the minority, ignore me. ;)

I kinda agree with you mia3mom. I like the idea of one or two rows of dancing digitized zombie michael jacksons. Still this shirt is pretty awesome. GMV.

and now dancing Philipino inmates
dancing Philipino inmates

JoeDeeDee

quality posts: 1 Private Messages JoeDeeDee
JadenKale wrote:I had wondered about that upon looking at the thumbnail. I was sure it was just Cho's. Nice collaboration!

Ditto!

JadenKale

Re: 1988: Super Mario Bros. 3 Released In Japan Resub

I wouldn't say it exactly as the person above me stated, but it does seem a little off. I mean, I understand you had to make him different from the actual Mario, but 1, he's huge, and I don't think I would wear a mario-esc design quite that large, and 2, he just doesn't seem to grab my attention in a positive way. He grabs my attention, but I keep looking at him and am eternally confused by him. I'm sure some will be impressed by him but my own Mario nut of a husband looks at him with utter confusion.
Perhaps there could have been a way to capitalize on the actual character's heritage instead, rather than the fact he was created by the Japanese. Despite my aversion towards the Japanese-Mario, I DO believe you executed your actual design well. The details you did put into it are very well done. I do want to ask, was that the year of the tiger as well, since you used a tiger tail and ears instead of the traditional foxtail?

skaght

Re: 1985

Wow! Two of my favorite things! AAARRRRG!!! eh heh heh!

artulo

quality posts: 13 Private Messages artulo
superspryte wrote:I think shirts like this already exist. Apparently on several colors.

PS - Yours is better.

Wow, that site is awful. And thanks, mine is way better.

2thFairy

quality posts: 2 Private Messages 2thFairy

skaght

daedalusknight wrote:This is indeed an awesome car... but I bet your sparkly, shining, winged car would look even greater in the same driveway as... the AWSOMEMOBILE!

I wouldn't let flying 1976 trans am anywhere near awesomemobile. They'd totally get in a fight... On second thought, that'd be pretty cool to watch.

VOLTACO

quality posts: 0 Private Messages VOLTACO

I was wondering if someone was gonna do a space shuttle, but I believe it will get rejected for the text.

JadenKale

Re: 1988, The Human Genome Project

I know I tend to go on and on about color choices, but this is another one of those shirt designs where the colors chosen may look wonderful on the screen, but won't print well altogether. The darker brown will be too dark for the black and it will get lost in the shirt color. The same could be said had this been done on the brown shirt with black circles. The colors are just too close and therefore won't be as visually striking as it seems on the screen.

skaght

Apriori wrote:When it comes to derbies, non-wooters (who will be the ones seeing the shirt) aren't the ones who know the derby theme, so I'm always looking for derby submissions that are obvious enough that somebody else would get it, or random enough that it's just straight-up funny.
This is the latter.

I complee agreetly. *gives a nice 1981 thumbs up and wink*

stargrey

quality posts: 0 Private Messages stargrey
Re: 1982

Is it just me, or does this guy look like he came from Doonesbury?

2thFairy

Re: 1977

isn't this a liscensed image?

skaght

Re: 1978

I so miss coin-op video games and arcades. If you do go to an arcade now, you're limited to either buttery croissant shooters that make you want to vomit or 6-year old racing games that cost a whole dollar to play. Thank the gods for MAME. (not to be confused for meme). GMV.

JadenKale

Re: 1985: flux capacitor 1.21

Netsu, good idea, but perhaps you'll go back and redo this with only 6 colors. You have 2 blues, 2 yellows, black brown and gray.

rglee129

quality posts: 27 Private Messages rglee129
Graye wrote:It is a great shirt comp though, I like it ;) GMV

I just reread my wikipedia- you're right. It was a "submarine handler." Hopefully we're allowed some flexibility with our interpretation of the events, especially because nothing was mentioned about giant octopi either... Thanks for the vote, though!

2thFairy

mia3mom wrote:mia3mom wrote:1963, not 1965.

specifically November 22, 1963. My mom's 19th birthday.

there's now a "ride" in Dallas where you can go down the street in a vintage car and get shot at. The world is a scary place.

I wrote it with the word of my librarian. This was at her last visit a few years ago. We moved from Dallas 11 years ago, and it wasn't there then.

I'm not spending all evening googling, but here's an article about it. $25 to "ride the route of Kennedy's fateful motorcade". Appalled doesn't even cover how I feel about it.

I have lived in Dallas for more than 20 years and had never heard of this. I read your linked article and found it interesting. I did a little research myself and found this:

Dallas resident Paul Crute bought a 1960s Lincoln convertible in the late 1990s and launched the city's JFK Limo Tour.

For $25, tourists were picked up at Love Field airport and taken on John F Kennedy's cavalcade route down Lemmon Avenue before rounding the corner at Dealey Plaza.

From here, a tape of shots ringing out from the Texas School Book Depository was played and Crute would floor the accelerator to Parkland Hospital's emergency room before the announcement: 'It's official now. The president is dead.'
The tour was stopped in 2001 after a host of complaints.

The only "shots" were from a recording being played from speakers. Also note, the tour no longer exists.

skaght

gril0030 wrote:I'd hit that!

me or the shirt? *winces in fear of oncoming strike* Don't hit me! I'm weak!

skaght

rglee129 wrote:I just reread my wikipedia- you're right. It was a "submarine handler." Hopefully we're allowed some flexibility with our interpretation of the events, especially because nothing was mentioned about giant octopi either... Thanks for the vote, though!

Yeah, but you get 5 extra "cool" points for using lesser known facts from your birth year. I was gonna try and convince w00t that I was born in 1876 so that I could design a "Wild Bill gets shot" shirt.