Graye

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Graye
jsinteractive wrote:IF you look at the HUGO website you will see 1988 listed several times as the starting date for the organization (April and Sept). This is a quote from the HUGO website....

The Human Genome Organisation
History, Purposes and Membership - Victor A. McKusick

The Human Genome Organisation (HUGO) was conceived in late April 1988, at the first meeting on genome mapping and sequencing at Cold Spring Harbor.

Yes, but the Human Genome Project did not come into existence until 1990, when the Department of Energy and the National Institutes of Health presented the HUGO ideas to congress, which began the 15 year HGP.

"The Human Genome Project (HGP) refers to the international 13-year effort, formally begun in October 1990 and completed in 2003, to discover all the estimated 20,000-25,000 human genes and make them accessible for further biological study. Another project goal was to determine the complete sequence of the 3 billion DNA subunits (bases in the human genome). As part of the HGP, parallel studies were carried out on selected model organisms such as the bacterium E. coli and the mouse to help develop the technology and interpret human gene function. The DOE Human Genome Program and the NIH National Human Genome Research Institute (NHGRI) together sponsored the U.S. Human Genome Project. "

Or if you really want to go in the way way back machine: http://www.genome.gov/25520329

"The Human Genome Project officialy begain in 1990. Beginning in December 1984, the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE), National Institutes of Health (NIH) and international groups had sponsored meetings to consider the feasibility and usefulness of mapping and sequencing the human genome. The DOE had become interested in studying the human genome as a way of aiding the detection of mutations that nuclear radiation might cause. Groups like the NIH and the Wellcome Trust in Britain had longstanding interest in understanding biology for the sake of advancing medicine.

In 1987, DOE proposed a Human Genome Initiative to Congress. Meanwhile, NIH had started funding occasional grants for genome projects. In 1988, an influential National Research Council report recommended a concerted program to map and sequence the human genome. Later that year, the U.S. Congress held hearings on the idea, and DOE and NIH joined forces on the project.

In 1990, DOE and NIH published a plan for the first five years of what was projected to be a 15-year project. The goals of the project included: mapping the human genome and eventually determining the sequence of all 3.2 billion letters in it; mapping and sequencing the genomes of other organisms important to the study of biology; developing technology for analyzing DNA; and studying the ethical, legal and social implications of genome research. "

rushblume

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rushblume
redghia69 wrote:When people have replaced the shirt color with a gradient, woot has been quick to reject since others started complaining that it gave the shirt the advantage of standing out among the detail images. Your "2" did as intended for me, signifying a second submission, and used as others use "click here", so I'd hope you'd be fine. Woot's call as always. But I for one think you're crazy for taking the chance on splitting the vote when the other is already in the fog! Time will tell....

I knew it would be risky, but with strong submissions climbing the ranks, I wanted my shirt to be the best it could be. Hopefully the vote won't be split and the enthusiasm will carry over to both shirts. Again, thanks to everyone for the support.

sokowa

quality posts: 3 Private Messages sokowa
QuigglyPhD wrote:if you don't mind me asking, what program do you use to draw your pieces with?

Well, this week I drew 90% in photoshop then brought into illustrator to vector and clean it up. Sometimes I work only in illustrator (still learning the program) and I used to only use photoshop and convert everything into paths . . .
I'm still trying to figure out my style and also my technique.

sentnl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sentnl

You could argue that it started in any of these years, it doesn't really matter, I'm guessing the artist was born in 1988 and that's why he chose that year.

dekonstruct

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dekonstruct
Re: 1982: Thriller 2

oh man, don't make me chooose. I'd probably pick this one, but I want one of them to win. Oh well, spose I'll have to vote for both.

dekonstruct

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dekonstruct
Re: 1979: Alien the Movie . . .

Loving the buck teeth on that alien, that's hilarious!

follan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages follan
Re: 1988 year of the dragon

well here is a resubmission, hopefully it works out this time >.<

jenny78

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jenny78
twincarma wrote:this is true but as said by others, anything from the norm and you chance not winning the derby. Daily entry maybe.

So, you are saying he must stick to animals lest he not win the derby? I think Cho wins/places in the derby each week off his name alone. Talent or not, he has fans, loyal fans at that. That being said, I'm not denying he has incredible drawing skills, but I think he could enter anything at this point, and it would still win/place in every derby. It always does. Even if it's a design that isn't very wearable. People will vote/buy just because Cho drew it and Cho seems to have a lot of fans. AGAIN, I am not saying he isn't good at what he does. People are just a lot like sheep and follow the herd, in this case the majority. Sheeple.

jenny78

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jenny78
twincarma wrote:cho not doing animals would be like monet doing portraits, or picasso doing landscapes. He most likely could do something else but animals are his thing.

Are you seriously comparing a guy that draws really cool looking animals to be printed on tshirts to one of the greatest artists of all time? Seriously?

netshark

quality posts: 0 Private Messages netshark
netshark wrote:I am now confident that Cho or a fan-faithful has multiple acounts to sway the votes. I am sorry but there is no way that in the prime of the night on a saturday that an entry can recieve 40 votes. Obviously someone here is cheating.

Woah, I was drunk and pissed off last night. Sorry about that post, I was talking outta my rear.

xumann

quality posts: 0 Private Messages xumann
Re: 1970 - Apollo 13

Contents Under Pressure - In April 1970, an oxygen tank in the CSM of Apollo 13 exploded, resulting in loss of oxygen and elctricity, crippling the spacecraft. The landing was scrubbed, the survival of the three astronauts uncertain.

netshark

quality posts: 0 Private Messages netshark
outlawmoogle wrote:He has talent, I just think some people are frustrated seeing the same artists win every week. Which is also probably why Woot upped the prize money to $1000 to try to attract new designers.

What was the prize amount before they upped it? I never cared to notice it.

rglee129

quality posts: 28 Private Messages rglee129
Re: 1976 - Best car ever

Great design, and very well executed. Should have more votes. Well, it has mine at least.

mia3mom

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mia3mom
Re: 1980 St. Helens Erupts

very cool! I remember that, it was a huge deal.

nice to see another volcano up! I like the star effect around the volcano!

& the Gaggle of Girls; so many shirts, so little space in the dresser!

rushblume

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rushblume
dekonstruct wrote:oh man, don't make me chooose. I'd probably pick this one, but I want one of them to win. Oh well, spose I'll have to vote for both.

Thanks! Much appreciated!

EdsFault

quality posts: 0 Private Messages EdsFault

Wasn't born that year but I love the shirt.

Naris

quality posts: 12 Private Messages Naris

Wow that's freakin GORGEOUS! Good luck!

EdsFault

quality posts: 0 Private Messages EdsFault

I love this game! I dont care if I wasn't born that year. This better be first.

outlawmoogle

quality posts: 2 Private Messages outlawmoogle
netshark wrote:What was the prize amount before they upped it? I never cared to notice it.

$200 I think.

twincarma wrote:actually imo some people are more jealous that cho wins and gets the money each week. But he is an artist so why shouldnt he win. Most weeks there arent 3 shirts really worthy of printing.

And if it's the same artists winning every week, there isn't much motivation for new artists to try to enter the Derby. It also cheapens the entire concept of the Derby.

ATho1100

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ATho1100
Re: 1993. Evil!

if i changed shirt color do u think it would b better??

Andy47240

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Andy47240
Re: 1975 - Jaws scares moviegoers out of the water

I think you will get lots of votes for this! That is a great shark illustration.
-Andy

daedalusknight

quality posts: 1 Private Messages daedalusknight
mjkelleher wrote:Pups. :-D I was in high school the first time around, and it still gets my vote.

Hehe... well I'm glad you like the shirt, and glad you love the music too.

I first discovered Pink Floyd back in my early teenage years. I first heard Dark Side of the Moon (corny as it may sound) at a laser show at a planetarium. Somthing about it spoke to my thirteen-year-old heart. I identified with the lonliness... the fear of modern society and of what the future might hold... the struggle to find peace among nations... among races... even in your own self. It really made quite an impression on me, I must say.

I endeavored to explain the whole thing to my mother, soon after. There was such beauty in the strange, space-lost, forlorn but hopeful songs. My mother listened to such boring music, in my teenage mind, anyway. There was no way she could have experienced the rough and yet polished noise-music that captured my attention. We sat and I told her about "Us and Them" and about time ticking away and about there being no dark side of the moon, really (as a matter of fact, it's all dark). She listened carefully and never interrupted.

Then, when I had finished my lecture, she went down to the basement and pulled out a box of old records for me (remember vinyl, kids? ) and let me sift through them all. I found lost treasures that day... Tommy and Abbey Road, The Rolling Stones, the Ramones, even Harry Chapin (who I didn't care for until I turned 30). And yes... there in nearly perfect condition, right near the top of the box was Dark Side of the Moon.

I guess it just goes to show you what a silly kid I used to be, but I still look back on those memories, and this album, with great fondness. Thanks so much for your votes, everyone.

mjc613

quality posts: 48 Private Messages mjc613

mjc613

quality posts: 48 Private Messages mjc613
Re: 1993. Evil!

How come you couldn't figure out how to put your pong shirt with text on a template , but you seem to do just fine with this one?

superspryte

quality posts: 21 Private Messages superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

mjc613 wrote:How come you couldn't figure out how to put your pong shirt with text on a template , but you seem to do just fine with this one?

I wouldn't ask.

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | tg.w: 0 | sp.w: 0 | a.w: 0 | k.w: 0 | s.w: 15 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

eHalcyon

quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
jenny78 wrote:So, you are saying he must stick to animals lest he not win the derby? I think Cho wins/places in the derby each week off his name alone. Talent or not, he has fans, loyal fans at that. That being said, I'm not denying he has incredible drawing skills, but I think he could enter anything at this point, and it would still win/place in every derby. It always does. Even if it's a design that isn't very wearable. People will vote/buy just because Cho drew it and Cho seems to have a lot of fans. AGAIN, I am not saying he isn't good at what he does. People are just a lot like sheep and follow the herd, in this case the majority. Sheeple.

I don't think Cho needs to do animals. But neither is it just because of his name - his designs are consistently amazing and, whether you agree or not, consistently wearable. You may not like animals on shirts, but a great deal of people do.

Believe it or not, most people vote based on the DESIGN, not the designer. Look at the people commenting - for the most part, it's the same names over and over again. Most voters don't even know who these designers are - they just pop in and vote on a few designs, then check out until the results are put up. If they see something they particularly like, they might leave a generic "oh wow!" comment - but aside from the vocal minority, most of the voting wooters have no clue who is designing what.

Yes, Cho has a lot of fans. That's because Cho is a great designer. If he put up a crappy design, people wouldn't vote for it just because it's Cho's.

If you want to argue that people are like sheep, you should point to the fog and the hotness, because many people will only look at and vote on those top designs, leaving many other great entries lost at the bottom.

And it should be noted that Cho doesn't actually place in every derby.

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

zekecatz

quality posts: 202 Private Messages zekecatz

Fantastic! Thanks for bringing it back.

daedalusknight

quality posts: 1 Private Messages daedalusknight
Andy47240 wrote:I think you will get lots of votes for this! That is a great shark illustration.
-Andy

We're gonna need a bigger boat. :-)

Netsu

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Netsu

great scott i would want that. maybe on black

we are gods unwanted children

keyser520

quality posts: 0 Private Messages keyser520
Re: 1979 - President Attacked by Rabbit! (version 2.0)

4/20/1979 -- PRESIDENT CARTER ATTACKED BY KILLER RABBIT!!

Reported in the New York Times and the front page of the Washington Post.

You can read more about it here and Wikipedia.

renee1112

quality posts: 0 Private Messages renee1112

Woot!! Horse!! Anything horses has my vote.
And I am also a Horse in the Chinese Zodiac.

~R

keyser520

quality posts: 0 Private Messages keyser520
Re: 1979 - President Attacked by Rabbit!

I added another killer rabbit shirt

twominusone

quality posts: 0 Private Messages twominusone
Netsu wrote:great scott i would want that. maybe on black

Actually it didnt look as good as I thought it would on black, you lose alot of detail and the orange looks atrocious.

I told her the truth. That you are a brave, and profoundly stupid robot.
<br>
www.DOillustration.com

Naris

quality posts: 12 Private Messages Naris
Re: 1986: The Legend Was Born

I am a guy, but I will cry if this is rejected or not in the top 3.

Excellent work Fable!

Netsu

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Netsu

you didnt know? thats what the flux capacitor is comprised of. male genitalia and stethoscopes. glad i could be of assistance.

we are gods unwanted children

renee1112

quality posts: 0 Private Messages renee1112
Re: 1981

Got my Smurf!

geekfactor12

quality posts: 11 Private Messages geekfactor12
outlawmoogle wrote:And if it's the same artists winning every week, there isn't much motivation for new artists to try to enter the Derby. It also cheapens the entire concept of the Derby.

Close, but not quite. If sub-par work is winning every week, there isn't much motivation for new artists to try to enter the Derby. That is true a sad majority of the time, and I assure you that as long as the work in the fog is well-done (like Cho's, Fable's and Zenne's typically is, for instance) the artists are happy and encouraged. I think most people entering would like this to be more of a meritocracy and less of a contest of who can come up with the most popular cultural reference.

The fact that the voting trends have forced even those talented artists to chase pop culture references is what cheapens the derby.

thericeman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thericeman
squidboots wrote:1985 is the year fullerenes, which are special allotropes of carbon, were discovered. Fullerenes come in a few different forms, but probably the most interesting one is buckminsterfullerene (they're more commonly known as "buckyballs"), which is named after R. Buckminster Fuller. He was a pretty cool guy. Buckminsterfullerene is made of 60 carbon atoms arranged in an icosahedral form (like a soccer ball), and my illustration details the organic structure including the aromatic rings. Yes, I'm a geek.

This version has an adjusted fullerene graphic and includes a mass spectrum of the molecule for all of you geeks out there.

I like this design, I am currently taking organic chemistry
and I like it much more than general chem.
I guess it does take a nerd to understand what an aromatic ring is.
*giggles*

I WANT MORE NERDY SHIRTS

outlawmoogle

quality posts: 2 Private Messages outlawmoogle
geekfactor12 wrote:

The fact that the voting trends have forced even those talented artists to chase pop culture references is what cheapens the derby.

Well the site is named Woot after all. What kind of voting audience would you expect?

AGrant311

quality posts: 4 Private Messages AGrant311
Re: Tetris

This design has text. I suspect it will be rejected because of that.