Denyarrhea

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Denyarrhea
Re: 1969

Eyeball Flowers! Bam!

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
Re: 1983 - Take a Look, It's In A Book

Holy lots of votes, batman!

Thanks a bunch for your support of my ineffably feminine design, guys. It may be a bit of a pipe dream for it to win by now, but I'm surprised and happy about it's numbers, and would love to be surprised-er and happier.

If you're on the fence, let me assure you that the design works as a pro reading shirt without needing to know the reference, showing the adventure which can come from opening a book. The adorable unicorn-based adventure. Also, to men who might pass by this shirt, I promise that if you're able to rock this, you'll be a total mack daddy. Also makes a great gift for the ladytype in your life!

But you don't have to take my word for it! (ba-dum-DUM!)

dekonstruct

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dekonstruct
Re: 1985 - Buckminsterfullerene (super geek version)

This shirt deserves to win, hands down. It takes a lot of work to reach this level of geekery, and I commend you!

uncleplayground

quality posts: 0 Private Messages uncleplayground

Not only is there text, but I suspect that Tetris, in any similar form, would be copyrighted.

irthesteve

quality posts: 0 Private Messages irthesteve
Re: 1979

that is a sexy man

narkus

quality posts: 0 Private Messages narkus
Re: 1969 - Woodstock and the Summer of 69.

Great colors, Kristen! I'm a '65 so I'm likin' it : )

daedalusknight

quality posts: 0 Private Messages daedalusknight
Denyarrhea wrote:Eyeball Flowers! Bam!

Heheheh cool... these look like they belong in the zombie shirt from the Spring competition. See what happens when you plant zombies in the yard, kids? :-)

Up for trade/sale in men's L:Shell Competition--The Shredder--Color Thee Fresh Here's my list of wants

narkus

quality posts: 0 Private Messages narkus
Re: 1975 Oh So Cool! (Resub)

egads! I drove a Pacer in high school '83 grad. Butt ugly car but you could cram a ton a people in it (or is this a Gremlin?)

arsenicsauce

quality posts: 0 Private Messages arsenicsauce
Re: 1982: Thriller 2

I loved the concept of the first one, but the design was too big for me so I left it alone. This one is perfect, and the first shirt I would buy three of I've seen on woot; I have friends who would love this so much. GMV!

br3ds0x

quality posts: 0 Private Messages br3ds0x
Re: Hands Across America -- 1986

"On the afternoon of Sunday, May 25, 1986, almost seven million people joined hands to form a human chain that stretched 4,152 miles (6,682 km) – from New York City's Battery Park to a pier in Long Beach, California. This nationwide event, called Hands Across America, was intended to raise money to fight hunger and homelessness."

Drat963

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Drat963
bluchez wrote:To All: Thanks for all the great comments. I am happy to get such nice feedback from everyone. Unfortunately, it is a woot derby fact that it is impossible to win with only positive comments. C'mon, someone has to hate my design ;).

i hate how the design may not be printed =(

eHalcyon

quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
AdderXYU wrote:Or, to break it down another way, "he has talent, but" is saying that talent shouldn't be a basis on quality. It is. You want fewer prints by an artist, you get other good artists. You want more Limes In Coconuts, you go to another site.

That's an excellent way to state the case. If someone says "he has talent," they should just stop - he has talent, and that's what matters.

I disagree with that last statement though - Lime in the Coconut is a genious shirt. It's clever (in a "why didn't I think of that?" kind of way), it's simple and well-designed, it references a hilarious song - what's not to love?

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

SailorButterfly

quality posts: 14 Private Messages SailorButterfly
Re: 1981 - Cars Learn To Fly

You'll have to pick a shirt color to submit with...Woot only allows 1.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The "Most Awesome Butterfly-Sailor Hybrid on Woot"

SailorButterfly

Re: OJ Murder Trial, 1994

Goodness you're young. lol

Sorry, though...there's no text allowed this week, even if you draw it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SailorButterfly

Re: 1973

Woot will want to see it on a shirt, so you might want to slap the design on a shirt template and resubmit.

twidener

quality posts: 0 Private Messages twidener

This was an awesome shirt before.... now it's absolutely perfect! I WANT THIS SHIRT!

infallible

quality posts: 5 Private Messages infallible

Wow, a shirt depicting two cold-blooded mass murderers. How nice it would be to show our support not only for a system that necessitates subjugation and inequity, but also celebrates the two vicious tyrants that set up that system in Cuba.

19 www.Woots / 1 tech.Woot / 1 wine.Woots / 13 shirt.Woots / 6 sellout.Woots

CuterThanYou

quality posts: 0 Private Messages CuterThanYou
Re: 1975 - Jaws scares moviegoers out of the water

I am a HUGE fan of sharks, so I'm automatically biased towards this lovely creation. I love how the shark was drawn, and the scene going on. I wish you the best of luck, and you've got my vote!

manncarol

quality posts: 5 Private Messages manncarol
Re: 1956 - Color TV enters world

Love the design--yuk on the shirt color. Please, please, please submit a second entry on something other than green (how about lemon?).

:-)

Toadlet

quality posts: 8 Private Messages Toadlet
jamescho84 wrote:You were right Toadlet, there was 7. Thanks for saying that or else it could've been days before rejection. Thanks for the votes and revotes.

Ahh, much better.

I appear to be melting.

snarkygal

quality posts: 4 Private Messages snarkygal
jenny78 wrote:So, you are saying he must stick to animals lest he not win the derby? I think Cho wins/places in the derby each week off his name alone. Talent or not, he has fans, loyal fans at that. That being said, I'm not denying he has incredible drawing skills, but I think he could enter anything at this point, and it would still win/place in every derby. It always does. Even if it's a design that isn't very wearable. People will vote/buy just because Cho drew it and Cho seems to have a lot of fans. AGAIN, I am not saying he isn't good at what he does. People are just a lot like sheep and follow the herd, in this case the majority. Sheeple.

Just FYI Jenny, Cho has had quite a few entries that did not win or place in Derbies...

DirtiusMaximus

quality posts: 0 Private Messages DirtiusMaximus
Josephus wrote:It's an excellent shark. I'm a collector of shark shirts, I have about 15 or so.

In the movie, I remember the woman swimming alone attacked by the shark, but I don't remember a scene like this, with a man swimming alone. There was a scene with kids in the water, but no-one alone like this. anybody?

Of course this is not depicting a scene from the film (which is copyrighted material). This is more a portrayal of our fears after watching the film.

trabkabab

quality posts: 0 Private Messages trabkabab
Re: 1981 - Cars Learn To Fly

Man, I personally like this shirt the best. I really like the old school orange stripes. I like the main colour as well.

Dimitrii

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Dimitrii
Re: 1959: Ben-Hur

OK OK, I'll stay off your lawn. :^)

brizz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages brizz
Re: 1982: Thriller 2

yeah...still a decent idea poorly executed. not sure how taking big incomprehensible things and making them smaller is supposed to be an improvement...just makes them even more incomprehensible. anyone unfortunate enough to own this would tire of explaining what the heck it is over and over and over....

Seattlejo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Seattlejo
Re: 1970 - First earth day (on cream)

This is beautiful. I 'm hoping you see a sudden upswing in votes so that i can buy this one.

lintbox

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lintbox

go 1973!! got my vote, good luck dk!

Teragram2468

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Teragram2468
Re: 1988 mystery science 3000 is born.

epic win? how so...

alboneus

quality posts: 0 Private Messages alboneus
Re: 1986: The Legend Was Born

I'm in love! :O

In for 3 if this makes it

Before free market economy, we eat potato each night for dinner. Now we have much money. We eat two potato each night for dinner. And on happy days, we eat salted pork from can.

mac1ne

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mac1ne

i freakin' love it!
sometimes the simplest d-signs have a better output

brizz

gargrazz wrote:You got me, it is the only punk shirt. I can't believe there's that many 70's children not addressing punk. I am shamed by my decade! :^)

uhm, because they were BORN in the 70s, they weren't exactly going to Sex Pistols shows...their formative cultural years were defined by John Hughes ;)

Teragram2468

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Teragram2468

i'm pretty sure there wouldnt be to many explanations needed.. everyone knows the thriller dance.

just wish it was another color.

brizz

folkkevi wrote:Umm, fine, then say this is HUGO and not HGP and it doesn't matter, so everyone shutup about the date!!!!!

I think it's a valid point...that's the entire foundation of the derby ennit? the designer is basically saying "fine, it started in 1990 OFFICIALLY, but they thought of it in 1988" - well, i think i'll just do a 1970 Star wars shirt, since it's well known lucas had already conceived it then.

all of which is beside the primary problem with the shirt - it's really not aesthetically appealing at all. Dare I say it's downright u g l y?

brizz

Teragram2468 wrote:i'm pretty sure there wouldnt be to many explanations needed.. everyone knows the thriller dance.

just wish it was another color.

right...but can you honestly tell me you'd recognize that without being told what it was supposed to be? i sure as hell wouldn't.

peppersagooddog

quality posts: 0 Private Messages peppersagooddog
brizz wrote:I think it's a valid point...that's the entire foundation of the derby ennit? the designer is basically saying "fine, it started in 1990 OFFICIALLY, but they thought of it in 1988" - well, i think i'll just do a 1970 Star wars shirt, since it's well known lucas had already conceived it then.

all of which is beside the primary problem with the shirt - it's really not aesthetically appealing at all. Dare I say it's downright u g l y?

you dont need no alibi

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
brizz wrote:I think it's a valid point...that's the entire foundation of the derby ennit? the designer is basically saying "fine, it started in 1990 OFFICIALLY, but they thought of it in 1988" - well, i think i'll just do a 1970 Star wars shirt, since it's well known lucas had already conceived it then.

QFT. The derby is about the year you were born, and while woot obviously can't police our actual ages, it means that the year should be important. It means that any shirt with an incorrect date should be rejected for being off theme. Otherwise, why not just do a straight-up History theme?

underblueskies

quality posts: 0 Private Messages underblueskies
Re: 1973 - Solar eclipse of the decade

I think I'd prefer the design with some kind of skyline to add some perspective, otherwise it kinda just looks like an orange circle on a black shirt. Its still way cool.

gargrazz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gargrazz
brizz wrote:uhm, because they were BORN in the 70s, they weren't exactly going to Sex Pistols shows...their formative cultural years were defined by John Hughes ;)

John Hughes is what drove me into punk music. It was the quickest route out of the 80's. The Ramones and The Clash got me through Cindi Lauper and Madonna. I thought we were all doomed until Nirvana came along...

JadenKale

quality posts: 179 Private Messages JadenKale
Re: 1976 - The year I was made

um no. It has to be something relating to the year in which you were born, not the actual act of conception.