andreaxjean

quality posts: 0 Private Messages andreaxjean
Re: 1987- Prozac

Prozac wasn't put on the market until 1988.

superspryte

quality posts: 21 Private Messages superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

recchiap wrote:Well, I'm not really an expert on shirt design, I just have never really been a fan of the "pencil art" style on shirts. It looks amazing on the screen, I cannot stress that enough, but I have never seen a pencil art shirt come out that looked that great. It's the "on screen" vs "on shirt" debate HGP is dealing with right now.

I don't really have any suggestions, because I'm not very good at designing shirts, I just don't know how well this would turn out on cream. It might be a bit hard to see once it is printed.

Darker colored linework on cream shirts actually looks phenomenal. I have two (Why Can't I Fly, Friend? and Spring Rebirth) and they both pop wonderfully.

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | tg.w: 0 | sp.w: 0 | a.w: 0 | k.w: 0 | s.w: 15 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

daedalusknight

quality posts: 1 Private Messages daedalusknight
superspryte wrote:At Michigan State we called it Orgo.

Orgo? Sounds like an angry troll name. "Me Orgo like t-shirt. Me Orgo smash anyone not vote for buckyball shirt!" :-)

superspryte

quality posts: 21 Private Messages superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

daedalusknight wrote:Orgo? Sounds like an angry troll name. "Me Orgo like t-shirt. Me Orgo smash anyone not vote for buckyball shirt!" :-)

Dunno. I think some people called it o-chem but most people called it orgo.

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | tg.w: 0 | sp.w: 0 | a.w: 0 | k.w: 0 | s.w: 15 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

CreationsFromChaos

quality posts: 0 Private Messages CreationsFromChaos

Thanks KLSWoot!

I love your bug, actually... thought it was very clever and still can't believe you managed that with only 6 colors!

Very cool, GMV!

klswoot wrote:Finally getting a few minutes to look through the listings. Wanted to see who else was born in 1969!

Cool! I was born the same time as CreationsfromChaos! Another woodstock babe! Like your take on the period as well!

[/url][/quote]

TAYLORT5

quality posts: 1 Private Messages TAYLORT5
tiaerman wrote:This is a cool design. I wish it was smaller but o well. It GMV! Sorry I missed the first submission.

thanks for the votes sadly Again no votes. to get printed so, this one goes to the trash bin.

You're on probation!

You've been put on posting probation for this post for this reason: Ok, I deleted it 3 times. Do you not get it? (24h) Personal attack/useless post.

Please stare at the scary cartoon dog for 20 hours and then try posting again.

cmortell

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cmortell
Re: 1991 - Operation Desert Storm

In 1991 there was a massive yellow ribbon campaign to support the troops serving in Iraq during Operation Desert Storm. This relates not just to that conflict, but the War in Iraq as well. It's up to you to decide whether this displays a possitive or negative light on these conflicts.

squidboots

quality posts: 2 Private Messages squidboots
superspryte wrote:At Michigan State we called it Orgo.

Must be an east coast thing then ;) I haven't heard it called anything other than o-chem.

Then again, I don't get out much! :P

squidboots

quality posts: 2 Private Messages squidboots
cmortell wrote:In 1991 there was a massive yellow ribbon campaign to support the troops serving in Iraq during Operation Desert Storm. This relates not just to that conflict, but the War in Iraq as well. It's up to you to decide whether this displays a possitive or negative light on these conflicts.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but there is no text in this derby...so your design, as lovely as it is, will be rejected

smilingjack

quality posts: 0 Private Messages smilingjack
aerodino wrote:Hey - vote for my shirt!
I'm old...and broke.

Great shirt! Would love to buy and wear it.
Besides, someone here could actually walk and talk before I was born.

aerodino

quality posts: 0 Private Messages aerodino
smilingjack wrote:Great shirt! Would love to buy and wear it.
Besides, someone here could actually walk and talk before I was born.

Wow, I didn't realize I would be the oldest, by far, to be involved in this.

I wish I could get it printed - I'd love to where it!

Patchitect

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Patchitect
superspryte wrote:He does act like a [dirty] old man sometimes, doesn't he? ^_~

(We love you anyway, Patch.)

What do you mean... sometimes??? i'm a [dirty] old man all the time!

As for the shirt, i didnt want to make something that was blatant, i wanted to make something that was wearable without being controversial...

now if it were only votable....

crimsonclay

quality posts: 0 Private Messages crimsonclay
dragoonvengance wrote:UPC is 1973 not the barcode

Yeah, my sources were wrong and now I can't do a UPC because of the numbers.

volcomnator999

quality posts: 0 Private Messages volcomnator999
Re: 1987- Prozac

ive seen many sites that say that it was introduced in 1987

heres one from Time

http://www.time.com/time/80days/871229.html

Figit090

quality posts: 6 Private Messages Figit090

well that's not really my point. My point is, we'd be making a tribute to back to the future... and the two main vehicles showcased in the movie were marty's custom yota, and the delorean.

cmortell

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cmortell
Re: 1991 - Operation Desert Storm

In 1991, during Operation Desert Storm there was a massive yellow ribbon campaign to support the troops, seriously, they were everywhere. You can interpret this design any way you want.

bongodog

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bongodog

it's the splashdown of Apollo13 (April 17, 1970) - the only unsuccessful man to moon mission in history... portrayed gallantly in Ron Howard's motion picture starring Tom Hanks and Kevin Bacon.

daedalusknight

quality posts: 1 Private Messages daedalusknight
squidboots wrote:I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but there is no text in this derby...so your design, as lovely as it is, will be rejected

Hehehe... people are starting to see my polite way of doing things is an effective way. Yay for common courtesey! :-)

jenny78

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jenny78
AdderXYU wrote:Woot needs to make cojones.woot.com, for all the users who don't have the orbs to post criticism on their own names. Call me crazy, but i find it hard to believe someone new to woot would make an account on a site simply to immediately troll the design boards, especially without having found anything to purchase.

That's funny. I sometimes think that too, but seriously, who would have time for that? Any why would someone be afraid to post criticism? What's to be afraid of? It's just a tshirt website. *giggles*.

eHalcyon

quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
squidboots wrote:Must be an east coast thing then ;) I haven't heard it called anything other than o-chem.

Then again, I don't get out much! :P

I'm in Alberta (Western Canada) and we call it o-chem as well.

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

jenny78

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jenny78
AdderXYU wrote:Look, I know I'm going to catch a lot of flack for daring to criticize a child's entry, but there should not be child's entries in the derby. It's the biggest black eye woot has as a contest... what legit designer would find woot, look at the derby, and consider it worth designing for if they found a shirt designed by a ten year old (which looks like it was designed by a ten year old) in the hotness? What does it say about the voters reliability if a kid's entry looks does well enough to be legitimately included over at Best Losers? What does a parent say when their ten year old kid starts getting the sort of critiques that wooters tend to give, and comes running over crying? For all the silly censors, for all the designs people insist are for babies, this is not a kids' site, and it certainly isn't a kids' design site. Which is to say nothing of the 40-something people not related to the kid who voted for it. This isn't "encourage people central." This is a shirt contest. You think you're making a kid feel good, but all you're really doing is making a strong case against your competence to be allowed to choose printable shirts.

This is awesome. I was wondering when you were going to post in this thread. I seriously couldn't wait for your comment when I saw this in the hotness. Thank You. I couldn't agree more with what you posted.

phlattax

quality posts: 0 Private Messages phlattax
Re: 78 Vette

Third Vette is the charm - ok so this is way too late to get any votes but I had to get a decent version of the Vette into the derby - no offense to the other artists - I guess you can't help what year you were born ;) the Stingray is the obvious choice for all generations!

eHalcyon

AdderXYU wrote:What does it say about the voters reliability if a kid's entry looks does well enough to be legitimately included over at Best Losers?

Not sure what you meant by this line. Maybe you were thinking too fast and missed a few words when typing? Anyway, as I understand it, the designs honoured on the Best Losers site are chosen by the person who runs that website (Robert, isn't it?). It has nothing to do with the votes.

In general, I agree with you Adder. I do think that it's great to encourage young designers, but I'm afraid that running in the derby may engender false hope and pride or devastatingly critical comments.

But to the young designer - keep on working at it!

ilstu99

quality posts: 5 Private Messages ilstu99
AdderXYU wrote:Look, I know I'm going to catch a lot of flack for daring to criticize a child's entry, but there should not be child's entries in the derby. It's the biggest black eye woot has as a contest... what legit designer would find woot, look at the derby, and consider it worth designing for if they found a shirt designed by a ten year old (which looks like it was designed by a ten year old) in the hotness? What does it say about the voters reliability if a kid's entry looks does well enough to be legitimately included over at Best Losers? What does a parent say when their ten year old kid starts getting the sort of critiques that wooters tend to give, and comes running over crying? For all the silly censors, for all the designs people insist are for babies, this is not a kids' site, and it certainly isn't a kids' design site. Which is to say nothing of the 40-something people not related to the kid who voted for it. This isn't "encourage people central." This is a shirt contest. You think you're making a kid feel good, but all you're really doing is making a strong case against your competence to be allowed to choose printable shirts.

I genuinely think it's fantastic. I also think a lot of the entries by "adults" are a total joke. Way to cut and paste some clipart. That's some creativity. At least the kid did an original drawing from his own imagination. I'll vote for someone born in 1998, who actually spent some time on his art....over someone who slapped someone else's art on a shirt and called it a "design."

No, this isn't "encourage people central," but it IS about art, and whatever an individual believes to BE art. Don't like it? Don't vote. It's just that easy. YAY!

Dang....at least I could wear this shirt without having to explain it to people....or hope they've partaken of some psilocybin or psyilocin before looking at my t-shirt...

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
eHalcyon wrote:Not sure what you meant by this line. Maybe you were thinking too fast and missed a few words when typing? Anyway, as I understand it, the designs honoured on the Best Losers site are chosen by the person who runs that website (Robert, isn't it?). It has nothing to do with the votes.

In general, I agree with you Adder. I do think that it's great to encourage young designers, but I'm afraid that running in the derby may engender false hope and pride or devastatingly critical comments.

But to the young designer - keep on working at it!

Anyone can technically submit their work to the bestlosers archive, so long as they achieve enough votes... Robert currently has the bar set at 50, to prove that you actually generated some reasonable interest. He selects the entries to feature in his front page post weekly, but any woot designer with an intention to sell and a design that scored well enough can submit to the galleries. This entry is close to that 50 mark last I saw.

i agree that all people who enjoy art should continue making it and honing their skills, but I think that they need to be able to rationalize their relative talent before entering in a contest, and be able to take the lumps that go with it (and believe me, what i've seen 'round here tells me that all artists, great and terrible, need thick skin). An aspiring artist this young is simply gearing themselves up for mockery in an outlet like this, when they should be practicing, drawing for fun, for themselves, and picking up skills as they get more practice at it. I in no way want to discourage a kid from being artistic, but there's a level that should be reached first, in either skill or maturity, and to have someone enter lacking in both is a detriment not only to the derby, but the aspiring artist himself (or herself in this case).

ilstu99

quality posts: 5 Private Messages ilstu99
Re: 1970 First Earth Day (1)

This design is beautiful. Very well done! I hope it overtakes at least ONE of the video game shirts!

TAYLORT5

quality posts: 1 Private Messages TAYLORT5
dcarhart wrote:very moving

yup but not this is not the place for designs like mine...kids want more video game shirts..great presidents not so much.

You're on probation!

You've been put on posting probation for this post for this reason: Ok, I deleted it 3 times. Do you not get it? (24h) Personal attack/useless post.

Please stare at the scary cartoon dog for 20 hours and then try posting again.

residentgrey

quality posts: 0 Private Messages residentgrey

Try to make one for a SID chip you will have guaranteed win!!!

jasontehman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jasontehman
Re: sad USSR

I'd resubmit with the right title before it gets rejected, yeah, woot seems way to strict i know.

jasontehman

Re: 1982 year of the smilie

gradients, text, shirt template, color.... I think you missed a copyrighted image and a reference to woot.

jasontehman

Re: 1969- Great Moon Hoax

nice... no wind in space...l o l

eyeslikesugar

quality posts: 2 Private Messages eyeslikesugar
Re: 1960 The first laser was patented and fired

Wow! You're just popping out designs this derby! =)

-James Cho -EdgarRMcherly Shirt.Woot.Com - Ye Oldest Sucker - 2009

Shigwarm

quality posts: 8 Private Messages Shigwarm
Re: 1982: Thriller 2

YES!!! This version of your design gets my vote!

iris420

quality posts: 1 Private Messages iris420
Re: 1984: Duck Hunt {RESUB}

My boyfriend already has Cat-fu and the Penguin Tycoon. I think as soon as he sees this, he'll want it as well. My honey pie only wears woot shirts designed by Cho!

Carpe shirtem!

broflovski

quality posts: 0 Private Messages broflovski

the only thing i disagree with here is the shirt color. maybe a birghter/festive color would do better, that's only my opinion, otherwise, it's an awesome graphic and a great tribute to an even awesomer game!

jasontehman

brizz wrote:once again wooters are voting for an idea rather than a shirt. it's really amazing how often this happens - a good idea is poorly executed and still gets a ton of votes...most recent example being the blue box tree. Great idea, terrible execution.

This is almost indecipherable and will look awful if it actually gets printed. I love the idea, but the execution is just bad bad bad...jam on it.

I wouldn't necessarily say that it was terribly executed, just not executed well. I absolutely love the idea and it reminds me of that "I love the 80's" show, just kinda tacky.

rres

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rres
Re: 1964 Johnson Rides The Biggest Landslide Ever.

Famous Texan LB Johnson dons a pretty red cowboy hat and rides dead ex-Prez Kennedy's coattails to the biggest landslide victory every.

Giddy up LBJ.

jasontehman

tjballew wrote:when you say 'topography' are you referring to breasticular placement of the eggshells? I'm confused..

yes that is exactly what they are talking about, thats why woot could reject it, remember the breakfast topography shirt?

jdrage

quality posts: 3 Private Messages jdrage

Like me, you are probabely looking at this entry because you searched for more recent years out of curiosity. Personally I was astounded that a 10-year-old (even with help from a parent) created and submitted a design. The effort alone should be applauded. Bravo!

While this is indeed far from "encouragement central", I have seen among the pseudo-anonymous trash talk some thoughtful design critique and helpful commentary from the peanut gallery. True that the designer should be able to "take the lumps". Is that out of the question for a 10-year-old? Maybe. But that's the parent's decision and responsibility when approving the entry. Learning to take criticism is arguably a lesson we could all have gone through a little sooner.

The age of the designer alone should not be a reason to shun an entry. Had the theme not given it away, would you have known the age of the submitter? Certainly, a design created by a 10-year-old is unlikely going to be of the same calibre as one created by a designer with 10 years of experience (unless he/she started at birth ). If the design isn't compelling, it won't get votes. But to me, part of the value of a shirt.woot shirt is the story behind it. And this certainly has a noteworthy story.

Now, a couple of notes to the designer. I agree with the person who spoke of colour choices. The contrast is nice and the bold colours work well. Use a vector-based design tool to smooth out those "jaggies", and add a vanishing point for a bit of perspective and I think you've got a winner!

eHalcyon

AdderXYU wrote:I in no way want to discourage a kid from being artistic, but there's a level that should be reached first, in either skill or maturity, and to have someone enter lacking in both is a detriment not only to the derby, but the aspiring artist himself (or herself in this case).

Fair enough, but I'd like to point out one thing - you said a kid needs to reach a certain level of "either skill or maturity." Now you're assume that the kid isn't mature. Sure, she may be quite young, but that is no measure of maturity. I know plenty of kids in elementary school that are very mature - as well as plenty of university students who are not mature at all.