2thFairy

quality posts: 2 Private Messages 2thFairy
Re: 1998 - The moon

I'm all for kids being creative and "anyone can enter this contest," but come on people..get real!! Vote if you would buy this, not because it is a nice thing to do.

artulo

quality posts: 13 Private Messages artulo

Why on earth does this have sixty-something votes? Discouraging, indeed.

punkfiveo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages punkfiveo
Re: 1969- Flight of the Concorde

you'll get the young kids votes b/c of the popular tv show.

aerodino

quality posts: 0 Private Messages aerodino
AttilaTheMom wrote:This is a pretty cool design. I had passed over the thumb so I'm glad I finally opened it up. A few comments to give you some things to think about for future designs.
1. thumbnail pics are tricky. It's hard to capture the quality and essence of your design in a small jpg. So when you pimp for votes in the forums, post a larger (400 x400 is good size) pic of your full design. There are many designs I wouldn't have voted for if I hadn't seen the full version in the forums just because i don't open all the thumbs to view them. photobucket is free and a good place to host your design pics.
2. i think you could lose the 'box' around your design without hurting anything. lots of people here don't like boxy designs or sharp corners on their shirts. A look through past shirt designs will show you that nearly all exist free of a boxy outline.
3. there is a lot of cool stuff in this shirt, but you are borderline having too much. also the scrabble tiles are flirting with the rejectorator (they don't always look that closely to see there's no actual text, just be forewarned).
4. simple sells well here. for instance, just the hard body guitar and the music notes could have made a great design.
5. always ask yourself "does this design make any sense without knowledge of the derby theme? can it stand by itself?" and if yes, then you are golden.
6. i believe klswoot also uses elements and she is really nice and friendly so you can probably ask her for pointers.
7. gmv.

Thanks for all your help. This is a great learning experience for me.

pstan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pstan

I like it and I voted for it. I would wear it. If the derby wasn't 'year you were born' you would have no idea it was done by a ten year old.

The other thing is there is no rule about who can enter. Her entry didn't break any rules so it is good to go. All woot asks is if you would want one. They don't ask if it is 'good' or not. If you would wear it vote for it, if you wouldn't then don't.

2thFairy

Re: 1970, Spoon Fork =

Ha!! Somehow I missed this. Nice one.

2thFairy

Re: 1988

my personal fave.. of course

narkus

quality posts: 0 Private Messages narkus
ejseader wrote:I bet there was a lot of room for...other car activities...that would occur, say at a 'lookout point' of some sort. llo

I remember my parents had one of these when I was a kid. I loved the huge windows - it was like being in a fishbowl on wheels.

That's what we called it! The fishbowl! I had 12 people in it one day when we all went down to The Joe Louis arena to see ACDC!!! It was a blast, except the car died every time you ht a serious bump or pot hole!

2thFairy

narkus wrote:That's what we called it! The fishbowl! I had 12 people in it one day when we all went down to The Joe Louis arena to see ACDC!!! It was a blast, except the car died every time you ht a serious bump or pot hole!

l.o.l. those were the days!

richpowell

quality posts: 0 Private Messages richpowell
DigitalDonkey wrote:Bad news

Reject because you didnt put the year in the title.

Sorry

Whoops. Oh well, I slapped that thing together at the very last minute, guess I should read the rules!

pennylaned

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pennylaned
pstan wrote:I like it and I voted for it. I would wear it. If the derby wasn't 'year you were born' you would have no idea it was done by a ten year old.

The other thing is there is no rule about who can enter. Her entry didn't break any rules so it is good to go. All woot asks is if you would want one. They don't ask if it is 'good' or not. If you would wear it vote for it, if you wouldn't then don't.

I would wear this!! I love it. It fits the theme very well. If you were born in this year this is what your artwork would look like. Great job. It does not discourage me at all. It is refreshing to have new talent in the derby instead of the same old designers and concepts. If anything it encourages me. I hope you continue to enter your work!! You go girl!

pennylaned

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pennylaned
Re: 1969- Great Moon Hoax

This makes me laugh when I see it!! In a good way! Great job!

jenny78

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jenny78
pstan wrote:I like it and I voted for it. I would wear it. If the derby wasn't 'year you were born' you would have no idea it was done by a ten year old.

I think EVERYONE would have a pretty good idea that this was drawn by a child even if the theme wasn't the year you were born. C'mon. Say it was for an outer space themed derby, we'd all know it was drawn by a child. If not, then everyone would berate the adult that had the audacity to enter such a 'childish' design, and it would have gotten rejected for the use of text.

ilstu99

quality posts: 5 Private Messages ilstu99
Re: 1987- Prozac

I wonder why this one isn't rejected for "drugs."

highgrassfarm

quality posts: 0 Private Messages highgrassfarm
Jewdave wrote:Unfortunately hampster power was never considered...

Funny you should mention this. If you'll look about halfway through the sixth paragraph it says "...four of the researchers met at a famous "coffee shop" in Amsterdam. Alternate power sources were discussed. After several ideas were discussed hamster power was considered. A prototype was built using coctail straws and olives. A large mouse was retrieved from the kitchen for the prototype in place of an actual hamster. The experiment was thought to be a success when the device was percieved to power the researcher's electric lighter. The next morning however when clearer heads prevailed they realized the lighter was powered by quartz. The researchers were heard to say "you dumb"..."

highgrassfarm

quality posts: 0 Private Messages highgrassfarm
eyeslikesugar wrote:Wow! You're just popping out designs this derby! =)

I seem to be inspired this week!

keyser520

quality posts: 0 Private Messages keyser520
omnipotent32 wrote:Not that I want it to be taken off but wouldn't this image be copyrighted?

As far as I know, it's not. It wasn't used as the logo for the movie. It's simply used as something worn in the movie and something on the book in the movie. It isn't even on my own personal copy of the book.

if I am wrong, please correct me. i was planning to put this on spreadshirt or cafepress if it didn't win here... but I can't do that if it's copyrighted.

eyeslikesugar

quality posts: 2 Private Messages eyeslikesugar
highgrassfarm wrote:Funny you should mention this. If you'll look about halfway through the sixth paragraph it says "...four of the researchers met at a famous "coffee shop" in Amsterdam. Alternate power sources were discussed. After several ideas were discussed hamster power was considered. A prototype was built using coctail straws and olives. A large mouse was retrieved from the kitchen for the prototype in place of an actual hamster. The experiment was thought to be a success when the device was percieved to power the researcher's electric lighter. The next morning however when clearer heads prevailed they realized the lighter was powered by quartz. The researchers were heard to say "you dumb"..."

lo l I can just picture a group of mad scientists building a wheel for a mouse out of cocktail straws and olives. =D

-James Cho -EdgarRMcherly Shirt.Woot.Com - Ye Oldest Sucker - 2009

pstan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pstan
jenny78 wrote:I think EVERYONE would have a pretty good idea that this was drawn by a child even if the theme wasn't the year you were born. C'mon. Say it was for an outer space themed derby, we'd all know it was drawn by a child. If not, then everyone would berate the adult that had the audacity to enter such a 'childish' design, and it would have gotten rejected for the use of text.

You do realize that some people suck at art eh? Me for example. If I entered stuff it wouldn't be much better than what she accomplished. If people didn't like it they wouldn't vote for it and I would go on my marry way. I would rather see something like this then clip art and copyrighted images.

Also I don't think that the comets are exclamation marks.

folkkevi

quality posts: 0 Private Messages folkkevi
Re: 8888 uprising (the 1988 Burmese Uprising)

Very simple yet elegant design, i like it. However, I think it could have benefited from more dramatic movement or placement.

eHalcyon

quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
voskovle wrote:This is the best shirt on woot right now. Unless somebody wants to wear a nerdy video game shirt and look like a loser. Not only was the design carefully thought out but is also executed extremely well. People need to stop looking at every square millimeter of the shirt and criticize minor details. Also, who gives a carp when the event "officially started." This is a competition based on design, not historical accuracy. It doesn't have the date written on it. I'd buy 5 if I could. Great job.

The fact that the colours may not print properly is not a minor detail. Hopefully it will show up fine (if it wins), but if it doesn't - well, plenty of veteran wooters have given the warning here already.

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

eHalcyon

quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
kindalikeyeah wrote:How about no?

Right then. When you actually CAN draw like this, show us in the derby that week. You'll probably have my vote, and a whole lot of others.

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

bongodog

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bongodog

April 17, 1970 - The Apollo13 (the USA's first and only unsuccessful man-moon mission to date) Command Module splashes down in the Atlantic Ocean. Depicted gallantly in the Ron Howard film starring Tom Hanks and Kevin Bacon.

Thanks for the votes! This is my first woot design - I only discovered this site yesterday! But I guarantee I'kll be back - to enter more contests and buy more shirts!

6walnuts

quality posts: 1 Private Messages 6walnuts
Re: 1986

very pretty. Love the eyes.GMV

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
superspryte wrote:What are they afraid of? Me! Shirt.woot's friendly little Attack Spryte. ^_~

Not to be confused with our Attack Adder. ^_~ ^_~

That's endearing, really. Attack Adder.

I'd say more often than that, tho, they're scared of the backlash. The wooters vote and don't vote based on a lot of things, but the rarest of the bunch is "quality of shirt". If you, lets say, had a negative opinion you really wanted to put out there, you might lose votes on your own work as a result. sure, lots of the fake names exist out of one psychotic obsessed twitmouse who has a bizarre spryte hatred, but many others surely exist to give people an outlet to make comments without having it effect their own performance or general reputation. It's pathetic, yes, but I'm pretty sure it's true

SkekTek

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek
punkfiveo wrote:you'll get the young kids votes b/c of the popular tv show.

I was kind of hoping for it.. since I myself watch it.

superspryte

quality posts: 21 Private Messages superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

AdderXYU wrote:That's endearing, really. Attack Adder.

I'd say more often than that, tho, they're scared of the backlash. The wooters vote and don't vote based on a lot of things, but the rarest of the bunch is "quality of shirt". If you, lets say, had a negative opinion you really wanted to put out there, you might lose votes on your own work as a result. sure, lots of the fake names exist out of one psychotic obsessed twitmouse who has a bizarre spryte hatred, but many others surely exist to give people an outlet to make comments without having it effect their own performance or general reputation. It's pathetic, yes, but I'm pretty sure it's true

This made me laugh. Good job.

PS - Just in case anyone's unsure, I was joking. I highly doubt anyone's afraid of me. ^_^;

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | tg.w: 0 | sp.w: 0 | a.w: 0 | k.w: 0 | s.w: 15 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

AdderXYU

2thFairy wrote:mia3mom is this kid's mom, not mjc613.. unless that is an alternate account

To be fair, it's an easy mistake to make. If you would wear a kid's artwork, you're probably the kid's mom.

The one thing I will agree with in this whole nonsense, other than the "I agree with you, Adder" posts, is that I'd rather have designs like these than clipart. Clipart is rarely superior to a child's art, because the child at least put effort in. But that does not mean it's good. Sure, art is personal, art is a matter of tastes, but seriously, what message does this send the world? It says "woot allows freakin' anyone to enter, AND THEY WILL GET VOTES". If you think the dailies are so bad (and seriously, you know nothing if you think this is better than any of them recently), think to yourself, "Would I want to submit my best work to a site that will vote for children's designs, if I was an artist?"

AdderXYU

Yeah, there's absolutely no hints about the age of the artist.

rres

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rres
Re: 1982: Thriller

I don't personally care if this wins or not, but wouldn't this typically be considered a Celebrity likeness?

Even if it is all pixelated, I thought any celebrity likenesses were big NONOs.

Either way, it is cute but I couldn't wear it. Good luck!

BigBroncosFan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages BigBroncosFan
Re: 1978 - The Year of the Horse

Yeah
Lets go Broncos!

I can't wait for football season. Nice entry - I'll buy 2!

MissLauraB

quality posts: 0 Private Messages MissLauraB
AdderXYU wrote:Look, I know I'm going to catch a lot of flack for daring to criticize a child's entry, but there should not be child's entries in the derby. It's the biggest black eye woot has as a contest... what legit designer would find woot, look at the derby, and consider it worth designing for if they found a shirt designed by a ten year old (which looks like it was designed by a ten year old) in the hotness? What does it say about the voters reliability if a kid's entry looks does well enough to be legitimately included over at Best Losers? What does a parent say when their ten year old kid starts getting the sort of critiques that wooters tend to give, and comes running over crying? For all the silly censors, for all the designs people insist are for babies, this is not a kids' site, and it certainly isn't a kids' design site. Which is to say nothing of the 40-something people not related to the kid who voted for it. This isn't "encourage people central." This is a shirt contest. You think you're making a kid feel good, but all you're really doing is making a strong case against your competence to be allowed to choose printable shirts.

Hmm... I wonder why this 12 year old 'child' resents that comment? As I recall, you were one of the first people to complement one of my designs. By the way, only some wooters give horrid comments. Honestly, Adder, she's 10. Well, m2m, don't take carp. Hope I see your designs in oncoming contests. ;)

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

BigBroncosFan wrote:Yeah
Lets go Broncos!

I can't wait for football season. Nice entry - I'll buy 2!

Yeah it's the Broncos Logo's girlfriend. ^_~

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | tg.w: 0 | sp.w: 0 | a.w: 0 | k.w: 0 | s.w: 15 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

MissLauraB wrote:Hmm... I wonder why this 12 year old 'child' resents that comment? As I recall, you were one of the first people to complement one of my designs. By the way, only some wooters give horrid comments. Honestly, Adder, she's 10. Well, m2m, don't take carp. Hope I see your designs in oncoming contests. ;)

Twelve isn't nine. ^_~

volcomnator999

quality posts: 0 Private Messages volcomnator999
ilstu99 wrote:I wonder why this one isn't rejected for "drugs."

maybe cuz its a medical drug? not intended to be abused

ckpete2887

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ckpete2887

So I've been thinking a lot about it, and I think that if a shirt is in the fog there should also be an option for "I wouldn't want one" or something similar. I think it would make things a lot more interesting. Not sure if it would work, but I think it would be very nice to have.

AdderXYU

MissLauraB wrote:Hmm... I wonder why this 12 year old 'child' resents that comment?

Because this 12 year old is unable to separate her own work from this piece. You're offended by the implication that a younger artist can't produce good work, and you're offended by this because you're a younger artist who feels she can produce good work. Think of it another way: if you'd entered this week, and were being beaten by a 10 year old who drew worse than you, just because that artist was 10, would you not feel slighted? Wouldn't you think "man, I'm only 2 years older, and I can give a number of the adults a run for their money! Why am I not getting more votes?"

The derby should be run on quality, and the fact is that the vast majority of children are simply not going to submit quality. As the derby is right now, I have no problem with you playing the game, because your designs have shirt potential, but I can't see myself feeling bad to lose one artist talented beyond her years for the sake of blocking more of this sort of thing.

Ismisedearg

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Ismisedearg

is the ! the text

Ismisedearg

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Ismisedearg

purple and the ugly green don't mix if someone would wan't to buy that that is

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
AdderXYU wrote:Because this 12 year old is unable to separate her own work from this piece. You're offended by the implication that a younger artist can't produce good work, and you're offended by this because you're a younger artist who feels she can produce good work. Think of it another way: if you'd entered this week, and were being beaten by a 10 year old who drew worse than you, just because that artist was 10, would you not feel slighted? Wouldn't you think "man, I'm only 2 years older, and I can give a number of the adults a run for their money! Why am I not getting more votes?"

The derby should be run on quality, and the fact is that the vast majority of children are simply not going to submit quality. As the derby is right now, I have no problem with you playing the game, because your designs have shirt potential, but I can't see myself feeling bad to lose one artist talented beyond her years for the sake of blocking more of this sort of thing.

The adult designers you are so protective of, Adder, have submitted 34 entries with text in them, and at least 2 'boob' shirts,
19 without including the year in the title, and one of whom actually submitted shirts for two different years, apparently figuring no-one would notice.
This doesn't include all of the shirts rejected for too many colors, or using obviously copyrighted things or directly pixel for pixel copied artwork, or traced artwork.

These designers need reading lessons, and/or to attempt to comprehend what they've read. They don't need to be protected from one 10 year old kid.

...and you've decided to choose a 10 year old kid as your target of the week. nice work.

I guess what I'm trying to say here is that there are differences in the quality of work among the adult designers, just as there are among the more youthful ones. I don't think that excluding kids younger than, what, 16? is that old enough for you?
anyway, I don't really think that excluding the few kids that might be interested in submitting designs is going to affect the more adult designers in any way. They will continue to complain about how really crappy shirts win every week, and how woot is never going to be a quality place, all because of some other issue- clipart, or traced images, or whatever.