KevanB

quality posts: 0 Private Messages KevanB

This is quite possibly the best shirt I've seen on w00t in a while...excellent artwork and design! I guess it kind of helps matters that I'm a huge Zelda fan. Great memories with Ocarina, but I have to say Twilight Princess is the superior game (please don't kill me).

If this places that will make 2 w00t shirts I've bought because they were Zelda related. The other being the "Pascal's Triangle" one...since it looked like triforces (err...triforcii?), *giggles*.

jimiyo

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jimiyo
eHalcyon wrote: Can amateurs submit designs as dailies, or is it just that artists can apply and, if they are lucky enough, get commissioned to create a daily?

well it seems that most of the dailies printed are linked to some kind of portfolio. i know the recent people have been printed elsewhere so i guess they are justified as a designer.

i suppose if you had a design you felt was good, you could always email them. 'artist' is a very loose term to me. although i feel they might have been getting quite a few submissions lately with the increase in payout. i know theres certainly been many designers on a website i frequent buzzing about it.

doesnt hurt try is my advice. you never get anything if you dont ask.

try it... at the next time you are at mcdonalds... Gimme some free fries Yo!

just like that. i bet if you asked 100 places, you would... be granted Free Fries.

dea007

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dea007
Re: 1986: The Legend Was Born

Fable,
This is totally off topic, but I just wanted you to know that I LOVE your scurvy shirt. It's the reason why I first fell in love with woot! Great job!

Tallzxdriver

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Tallzxdriver
Re: 1984: Duck Hunt {RESUB}

*giggles*... I love it. I hope this one wins.

lunartan

quality posts: 1 Private Messages lunartan
Re: 1977: 2600: A Video Game Odyssey

bluchez wrote:While I was growing up, the only console game in my house was the 2600. My parents were afraid of television burn-in (or so they said), so we never did get another console. When I would go over to friends houses while growing up, I was always so excited to play their high tech NES. These two memories make me love all things NES and Atari (with slight edge to Atari). I have a working NES, 2600, and an Atari Flashback 2.

hehe, tv burn-in, classic.
No Intellivision!? Loved DK, Burgertime, Horse Racing, & some of the other sports games on that console. Still quite an impressive classic collection. I was completely addicted to Tecmo Bowl. Might still have my ole NES boxed up in my parents' basement after all these years. If they didn't trash it...{shudder}. The oldest working console in my closet is Sega Genesis. A 2600 would be so rad. Too bad it all went down hill with the E.T. game. Late 80's... ah good times, good times.

Skaght - sad I gotta wait til June 17th... Regardless, grats on a great design that evokes many fond childhood memories, as well as being the impetus for one of my addictions.

eHalcyon

quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
jimiyo wrote:try it... at the next time you are at mcdonalds... Gimme some free fries Yo!

just like that. i bet if you asked 100 places, you would... be granted Free Fries.

It might work better if you asked the same place 100 times.

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

eHalcyon

jordoharpo wrote:I think the landing was real, but the pictures were faked to make NASA look good. Without atmosphere on the moon the sun would be much too blinding to take some of the amazing photos that were taken. Especially since the cameras were on their chests and aiming was nearly impossible it seems ridiculous to believe that when you see the collaborations of all the pictures that they were all perfectly composed, framed, and without any conceivable error. Everything just simply looks way to good. Also the shadows in the pictures aren't parallel indicating a nearby light (not the sun) even though they did not bring any lighting with them to the moon.

I think all of those concerns have been addressed already... try the wikipedia article, even.

Regarding the "perfect pictures," I'm just pulling this out of thin air (because I'm too lazy to read the article again, having read it maybe a year ago and forgotten most of it), but they could have taken real photos and cleaned them up. Or they could have taken thousands of photos repeatedly and automatically and then only presented the best ones to the public.

eHalcyon

eHalcyon wrote:I think all of those concerns have been addressed already... try the wikipedia article, even.

Regarding the "perfect pictures," I'm just pulling this out of thin air (because I'm too lazy to read the article again, having read it maybe a year ago and forgotten most of it), but they could have taken real photos and cleaned them up. Or they could have taken thousands of photos repeatedly and automatically and then only presented the best ones to the public.

Ahh, I lied. Link is here. I'll pull out the relevant quotations:

3. The quality of the photographs is implausibly high.

There are many, many poor quality photographs taken by the Apollo astronauts. NASA chose to publish only the best examples.

5. The color and angle of shadows and light are inconsistent.

Shadows on the Moon are complicated by uneven ground, wide angle lens distortion, light reflected from the Earth, and lunar dust. Shadows also display the properties of vanishing point perspective leading them to converge to a point on the horizon.

bluchez

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bluchez
eHalcyon wrote:Ahh, I lied. Link is here. I'll pull out the relevant quotations:

3. The quality of the photographs is implausibly high.

There are many, many poor quality photographs taken by the Apollo astronauts. NASA chose to publish only the best examples.

5. The color and angle of shadows and light are inconsistent.

Shadows on the Moon are complicated by uneven ground, wide angle lens distortion, light reflected from the Earth, and lunar dust. Shadows also display the properties of vanishing point perspective leading them to converge to a point on the horizon.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you need to check your sources. My sources disagree:

http://www.stuffucanuse.com/fake_moon_landings/moon_landings.htm

2thFairy

quality posts: 2 Private Messages 2thFairy
dontwantaname wrote:
I posted my view on the thread for that one shirt. If those comments get posted here too....well I don't read the shirt threads, they are too long, so I didn't realize it. I was only talking about that one shirt.

Soooo, not only are you biased, but you don't even know how the forums that you are so-called moderating work?

Iambusyeating

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Iambusyeating
bluchez wrote:I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you need to check your sources. My sources disagree:

That was hilarious.

JadenKale

quality posts: 179 Private Messages JadenKale
richpowell wrote:Whoops. Oh well, I slapped that thing together at the very last minute, guess I should read the rules!

With it being the last day, they won't be rejecting anything. But I might suggest staying away from the Smiley face ideas. Woot just doesn't want anything to do with them since they've already been done to death.

Schrobblehead

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Schrobblehead
Re: 1998 - The moon

I got bored about half-way throught this thread so I don't know half of what was said prior to this comment, but I think anyone who is discouraged by the votes a design gets lacks the sort of competitive spirit necessary to compete in a CONTEST. Designers just need to get over the fact that they are going to be overlooked sometimes while others get attention for reasons they won't agree with. If you play the game, you need to understand the game and quit whining about it.

I'm a Christmas Unicorn! In a uniform made of gold, with a billy-goat beard, and a sorcerer's shield, and mistletoe on my nose!

artulo

quality posts: 13 Private Messages artulo
Re: 1984: Robots in Disguise

Awwww man! I wanted this shirt!

Drat963

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Drat963
Re: 1979

Is there any chance (after 60 days) that you might get this printed from somewhere else?
-really sad that it didn't get printed (the littlest brother also agrees)

SkekTek

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek
Re: 1969- Great Moon Hoax

Aw, cmon folks! Can we make this old guy proud and get this back in the fog? I was so close all week, and now I'm getting my pants kicked by a bunch of '80s designs! Arrrggghh!!!

mia3mom

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mia3mom

back in the fog, back in the fog! I want a fake moon man!

(ok, I want the buckyballs shirt too, but I have been wanting this one for a longer period of time)

& the Gaggle of Girls; so many shirts, so little space in the dresser!

carontoc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages carontoc
Re: 1985 - Buckminsterfullerene (super geek version)

This shirt is about as cool as a nerd could ever aspire to!!! I love it!!!

crap

quality posts: 0 Private Messages crap
Re: 1984: Duck Hunt {RESUB}

Sorry im a newbie to shirt.woot but i have no idea who Cho is, but I still think this design is sweet. Isnt Cho Harry Potter's love interest? I take it Cho has been the designer of several sweet woot shirts. Oh and I dont think he is the only person that likes to draw animals we have a pothead lion today on woot and an unpatriotic eagle yesterday and all the derby winners last week were animals. Maybe this speaks more about the shirt.woot community. We love animals...

carina83

quality posts: 0 Private Messages carina83

i really like this one, if only it was back in the fog. I would totally wear this one, it is perfect!!!

superspryte

quality posts: 21 Private Messages superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

snarkygal wrote:General nastiness is not a rule.

Actually, it is. Or at least it's in our moderation guidelines.

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | tg.w: 0 | sp.w: 0 | a.w: 0 | k.w: 0 | s.w: 15 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

jaf28

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jaf28
AdderXYU wrote:Anyone can technically submit their work to the bestlosers archive, so long as they achieve enough votes... Robert currently has the bar set at 50, to prove that you actually generated some reasonable interest. He selects the entries to feature in his front page post weekly, but any woot designer with an intention to sell and a design that scored well enough can submit to the galleries. This entry is close to that 50 mark last I saw.

i agree that all people who enjoy art should continue making it and honing their skills, but I think that they need to be able to rationalize their relative talent before entering in a contest, and be able to take the lumps that go with it (and believe me, what i've seen 'round here tells me that all artists, great and terrible, need thick skin). An aspiring artist this young is simply gearing themselves up for mockery in an outlet like this, when they should be practicing, drawing for fun, for themselves, and picking up skills as they get more practice at it. I in no way want to discourage a kid from being artistic, but there's a level that should be reached first, in either skill or maturity, and to have someone enter lacking in both is a detriment not only to the derby, but the aspiring artist himself (or herself in this case).

Oh please. Who are any of you to say that someone should or should not enter something in a CONTEST -- a contest that leaves voters to their own devises to vote for which ever entry they choose to vote for, and for whatever reason. You are in no position to say what guidelines someone should use to vote. Just because I vote for something that you don't vote for doesn't mean I'm wrong for voting for it. That goes for anyone's votes. And what's with all the "ooh poor children who are gearing themselves up for criticism" they are only facing criticism because of overly judgmental people like yourselves who need to point out flaws in everyone's work because you see yourself as fit to sit in judgment of everyone's art. Artistic talent is subjective and you are certainly in no position to determine what is and is not artistic to another human being. If you are afraid of the criticism hurting a young artist then you should stop the criticism. Besides you don't even know the person who may not give any credence to what you say even at a young age. It's pretty apparent that you have two cents input on what everyone does and it sure seems to lessen the value of anything you have to say in my opinion.

smittycity42

quality posts: 0 Private Messages smittycity42

w00t! Fog!!

I just wana say that I have no love for o-chem, but carbon allotropes are important

mjc613

quality posts: 47 Private Messages mjc613
Jewdave wrote:Same with my rejected Elvis perscription medical drugs... But I guess those were abused...

It's late in the derby, so they may have stopped the rejections for this week. (Lo-med probability)

You could make a case that one pill is different than a whole slug of them. But if you are wearing a giant pill on your chest, what is the message? Another puzzler in the annals of woot rejection history.

klswoot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages klswoot

Goodness! I'm been out with a cold and haven't been following the derby talk much at all this week. I just saw the discussion in your daughter's entry. I hope she isn't saddened by some of the hurtful comments. I actually really like her design and would purchase it on a tshirt for my child to wear. It has a wonderful childlike innocence to it....which is so popular in naive american folk art. Grandma Moses started painting at 68, my daughter sold her first painting at age 18 months. Alexandra Nechita "Little Picasso" sold paintings for tens of thousands of dollars when she was only 10 years old. Age shouldn't matter. Art is subjective. Folks are going to appreciate works differently, but I would hope that everyone can be respectful of one's efforts and remember that the derby does allow for amateur entries.

You, Mia, came to the derby having been a woot customer first. You have supported many of us by purchasing our shirts and have left great photos and opinions about the shirts that you have purchased. You got your 3 daughters involved in the shirt.woot excitement and have them as walking billboards for shirt.woot. I would imagine that you have also sent numerous emails to other family members showing off shirt.woot by also showing off your daughter's entry. This is priceless advertising for Shirt.Woot. For this, you should be thanked....not subjected to crticisim in the forums. The derby isn't for professionals only...it encourages submissions from amateurs and I enjoyed seeing your daughter's entry.

Anyway... I hope you will continue to support the other designers and continue to patronize shirt.woot. Your enthusiasm (prior to this) was contagious and it was so nice to see you and your daughters so excited about the shirts that they bought. I hope the drama around your daughter's entry doesn't sour you to the whole derby 'fun'.

keyser520

quality posts: 0 Private Messages keyser520
tjballew wrote:what kind of shirts does cafepress print on?

not sure really. i'm researching cafe press and spreadshirt... anyone have suggestions?

lorien17

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lorien17
Re: 1983 - Thriller Music Video

I'm so bummed this shirt isn't closer to the top! I really wanted it.

mjc613

quality posts: 47 Private Messages mjc613
bluchez wrote:I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you need to check your sources. My sources disagree:

This is not a source. This is Barney Snot.

hyannis

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hyannis
Re: 1970 - Apollo 13

Great shirt - strong graphic. Would definitely wear this.

2thFairy

mjc613 wrote:This is not a source. This is Barney Snot.

ya think?? ;P

smithsonia

quality posts: 2 Private Messages smithsonia

bummer... so close.
well, I loved this shirt, anyway. better luck next time!

nyadolla

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nyadolla
2thFairy wrote:l.o.l. those were the days!

That is hilarious! They should bring it back, like they did with the Beetle...

SkekTek

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek
2thFairy wrote:ya think?? ;P

Ya know, I must say that the fact that we're debating this hoax makes me feel good. Just imagine what people in the astrophysics field went through back in the day...

I think this shirt would be far less popular if I had done the easy task of making a moon landing shirt instead of basing it on the "hoax" idea.

2thFairy

SkekTek wrote:Ya know, I must say that the fact that we're debating this hoax makes me feel good. Just imagine what people in the astrophysics field went through back in the day...

I think this shirt would be far less popular if I had done the easy task of making a moon landing shirt instead of basing it on the "hoax" idea.

I love your particular execution of it.

richpowell

quality posts: 0 Private Messages richpowell
JadenKale wrote:With it being the last day, they won't be rejecting anything. But I might suggest staying away from the Smiley face ideas. Woot just doesn't want anything to do with them since they've already been done to death.

Thanks for the tip

klswoot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages klswoot
Re: Warhol just turned in his grave -1987

Pepper and Adder might appreciate this Warhol link given their strong dislike for Warhol's contributions to the world of art. Seems a lot of folks didn't like this one!

scoobeedoobee

quality posts: 0 Private Messages scoobeedoobee

Id buy 3 easy...

Re: 1966 Tee Vee and Music

wonderboy4711

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wonderboy4711
Re: 1983 - Thriller Music Video

this thriller one is way better then the other one! really hope it wins cause i love it, me and my friends learned most of the dance and it would be so awesome to have the shirt! great design

Jewdave

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Jewdave

Why don't we just ask Woot! to print the shirt and see if it sells. If it sells at least as many as there are votes for it then it is justified, if not, then at least it would have sold more than some of the recent Dailies...

-------------------------------------
40 x Shirt.Woot!
10 x Woot!
12 x Crap!
1 x Kids.Woot!
1 x Sport.Woot!
1 x Wine.Woot!
-------------------------------------

sigaru

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sigaru
Re: 1993- Mighty Morphin Power Rangers

hell yeah! i'd buy this. also....red and blue ranger look awefully flamboyant. l ol