+ Add a Comment

patnode

quality posts: 0 Private Messages patnode

http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=12895

Meteor falls on Chihuahua.... Ya can't make this stuff up! it fell on chihuahua mexico, but hey that wouldn't be nearly as funny..

daedalusknight

quality posts: 3 Private Messages daedalusknight
fablefire wrote:In any case, I think the brown hues will look awesome on creme.

I agree. I do wish that there was a way to see how these shirts would come out, though. Someone posted a list of shirts earlier that looked great on screen but printed horribly.

Isn't there some kind of print process simulation that can let us see what these shirts will look like in real life?

kylethegreat

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kylethegreat
Re: 1985 - Tetris released

Sorry for artifacts.

sokowa

quality posts: 3 Private Messages sokowa
InitialSam wrote:barely any nuclear material was released during three mile island...and it was all into the air.

i hate nuclear misconceptions.

I know, doesn't stop me from representing the misconception that happened. Besides, it's just supposed to be a funny shirt.

Leahbh

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Leahbh
Re: 1969- Great Moon Hoax

I love this. It reminds me of a scene in hairspray when Tracy gets on the corny collins show and penny goes to her house to show her parents and edna says

I read all about it, it's a big fake hollywood set. You think I'm gonna think he's really up there

then penny says, it's not john glenn mrs turnblad!

Yeah. I've seen this movie a few times.

I'll definitely stay up til midnight to buy this shirt.

yadude

quality posts: 0 Private Messages yadude

dig it

derekfilley

quality posts: 0 Private Messages derekfilley
BigKuntry wrote:
Learn your history...

Indeed, if you are claiming that 'black power' is not entirely about racism, then I suggest you might benefit from a little history lesson.

In regards to this particular instance, how is this different from the English soccer team giving the adowwuble cutie-patootie salute during the '38 Olympics?

Check out my blog:Here!

daedalusknight

Re: 1973

Wow... I'm up to 8th place... at least for the moment. This is the best I've done since my Lake Ontario Sunset shirt. Thanks for all the votes!

bluchez

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bluchez
simoxius wrote:wow this could have been done so much better. not that i would be able to do anything better but two cooling towers or vases, depending how you look at them could mean anything.

Yes, I really wanted a nice toxic haze or a zombie or two, but alas, my skillz and my dreams forced a tragic split. So, we ended up with two towers. There are other 3 mile island shirts that went a slightly different direction (by way of artistic talent), and I am sure that the designers would appreciate a vote for them if you can not vote for my lonely reactor cooling towers.

heartluce

quality posts: 10 Private Messages heartluce
Re: 1988

The more I look at this the more I realize I am unreasonably in love with it.
This is the best cat shirt ever. Loving the colors, the details and the cat's expression.
Brilliant and sardonic once again!

superspryte

quality posts: 21 Private Messages superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

Re: 1982 the first Jarvic-7!

Bodys?

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | tg.w: 0 | sp.w: 0 | a.w: 0 | k.w: 0 | s.w: 15 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

LokiBoki

quality posts: 0 Private Messages LokiBoki
Re: 1986: The Legend Was Born

I would certainly buy/vote for this if it were in another color~ Why not green hahaha

peppersagooddog

quality posts: 0 Private Messages peppersagooddog
superspryte wrote:It means inspired by the number, so maybe there's a book, like the year I was born (1984), and the book wasn't written that year, etc.

No text means no letters, numbers, punctuation, infinity, foreign text (Asian languages), or sign language.

you didnt say arabic.
so we can sub in arabic is what you're saying right?

NathanOfLight

quality posts: 0 Private Messages NathanOfLight
Re: 1986: The Legend Was Born

Fable,

I wanted to do something Nintendo-ish, but I didn't stop to think that some of those images weren't copyrighted. This shirt is DEFINITELY going to win, and this'll be my first woot shirt purchase .

I was born in '86 as well, and I happen to think Zelda is amazing.

andrewg2

quality posts: 0 Private Messages andrewg2
Re: 1979

I see that Three Mile Island is a popular theme, but it was the first thing I got an idea for. Courteous, but honest feedback appreciated.

Myztri

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Myztri
Re: 1982: Thriller

Not to get technical or anything, but the Thriller Video premiered on Dec 2, 1983.

tiaerman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tiaerman
Re: 1984: purple rain

Is this a resub from the lyrics illustrated derby? This design looks supper familiar. No offense intended, I was just curious.

There are 10 types of people: those who know binary, and those who don't.

SailorButterfly

quality posts: 14 Private Messages SailorButterfly
Re: Wired with Joy

Ooh, sneaky...I didn't even realize the text until I saw it rejected. Poo. I voted for this, too.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The "Most Awesome Butterfly-Sailor Hybrid on Woot"

tiaerman

Re: 1984: 3.5 inch floppy in 1.4k glory

This is a nice idea and not badly executed.. I could have done without the bubbles though... O well, GMV

Seattlejo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Seattlejo
Re: Wired with Joy

Huh? Where was there text?

NathanOfLight

Love the shirt!

If I recall correctly, I think one of the main arguments behind the "theory" that we didn't go to the moon is that there's apparently no wind on the moon, yet the flag was blowing in the video.

daedalusknight

SailorButterfly wrote:Ooh, sneaky...I didn't even realize the text until I saw it rejected. Poo. I voted for this, too.

Yeah... that can easily be fixed, though. Re-do the cord and resub.

francisrizzo3

quality posts: 2 Private Messages francisrizzo3
Seattlejo wrote:Huh? Where was there text?

Good question...
How do you "design a shirt that somehow relates to the year you were born: through fashion, historical events, cultural trends, the Chinese zodiac, or even the number itself." without using a number?

NathanOfLight

Re: 1982: Thriller

The one that makes me laugh is the 2nd row, 2nd from the left - I dunno why, but that position is just funny.

Funny shirt - I like it.

tiaerman

I would suggest either changing the shirt color or changing the color of the shirt that the turtle (is that what that is?) is wearing. They bleed too much together.... good idea though. GMV.

mihalis aya

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mihalis aya
fablefire wrote:I am? Seems I'm the youngin' a lot lately.

By one year, yep. I'm an '85 baby.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 232 Private Messages kylemittskus

My dad is a rocket scientist for NASA. I wear this shirt and I might be kicked out of the family. I will wear it anyway. Received my vote.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

bluchez

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bluchez
Myztri wrote:Not to get technical or anything, but the Thriller Video premiered on Dec 2, 1983.

Hmm, I hadn't thought of that (or looked it up). But, I do remember that this year was thriller's big 25th anniversary.

eHalcyon

quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
Re: The Year of the Ox 1961

I'm afraid Chinese characters are still considered text. This will be rejected.

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

SailorButterfly

quality posts: 14 Private Messages SailorButterfly
francisrizzo3 wrote:Good question...
How do you "design a shirt that somehow relates to the year you were born: through fashion, historical events, cultural trends, the Chinese zodiac, or even the number itself." without using a number?

If the designer took the controller and had it on the shirt 77 times, it would represent the number 77 without containing text.

Another good example I've seen: someone born in 1984 could do something from the book 1984 even though that's not the year the book came out, since the title is the same number.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The "Most Awesome Butterfly-Sailor Hybrid on Woot"

daedalusknight

I think someone explained it earlier... If you were born in 1984 you can do something about 1984 (the novel) even though the novel was written in 1948. If you were born in 1999 you can do a shirt about Prince's song.

You just can't put the actual digits in the design.

mihalis aya

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mihalis aya
kenjitr wrote:This appears as a light pink on my monitor as well. Are we sure it's on cream? I voted for it but dunno if I would actually buy it if it's so rosy.

It's pretty easy to be sure: woot doesn't offer pink.

It's also well established that a lot of people's monitors display the creme as pinkish. Might be time to adjust the monitor settings.

dasmonkeyboy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dasmonkeyboy
Re: 1973

Awesomeness... Two, two, two references in one! I would definitely buy this...

GMV

Sachmoe64

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Sachmoe64
Re: 1981

1981 held the release of the Heman action figure series and brought joy to kids everywhere! who didnt wanna be a rediculously buff dude thats rides a green tiger!... well girls i guess...

Seattlejo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Seattlejo

That wasnt my problem, i literally didnt see the text in the cord until it was pointed out.

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
Re: 1981

Without going into the whole "copyright" tirade and "draw it yourself" tirade, I would like to note that He-Man looks like a Kennedy when live-traced.

peppersabaddog

quality posts: 1 Private Messages peppersabaddog

i think this is one of the best you've ever done bluchez.
good luck dude.

tiaerman

Very nice detailed design. Great job on the fading out! I'm not crazy about the colors but what can you do . GMV

mwm8180

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mwm8180
tiaerman wrote:Is this a resub from the lyrics illustrated derby? This design looks supper familiar. No offense intended, I was just curious.

nope, i didn't do any enters for that derby... if someone did something like this for that derby please let me know and ill pull this design.

i just had to support my hometown boy Prince.

daedalusknight

dasmonkeyboy wrote:Awesomeness... Two, two, two references in one! I would definitely buy this...

GMV

Thanks so much! Hope you get your shirt. :-)