Webfoot08

quality posts: 6 Private Messages Webfoot08
mia3mom wrote:I'm not a yellow person (never buy it, doesn't look good on me), but I *adore* the yellow. The creme is pretty, but the yellow is stunning. I remember your spring non-entry, and while that was pretty, this is much more wearable. and pretty & flowery without being overwhelming and annoying.

Me too! I NEVER wear yellow, you won't find the color in my closet, but I WAAAAANT this shirt!

eyeslikesugar

quality posts: 2 Private Messages eyeslikesugar

Hey.. here's another Mother Nature.. her twin sister; we'll call her Aunt Nature =)

details

-James Cho -EdgarRMcherly Shirt.Woot.Com - Ye Oldest Sucker - 2009

daedalusknight

quality posts: 3 Private Messages daedalusknight
eyeslikesugar wrote:Hey.. here's another Mother Nature.. her twin sister; we'll call her Aunt Nature =)

Very pretty. Black won't show up on brown, though.... might want to change that ink color and resubmit quickly while you have the time.

eyeslikesugar

daedalusknight wrote:Very pretty. Black won't show up on brown, though.... might want to change that ink color and resubmit quickly while you have the time.

Yeah.. that's why I made the very exaggerated imagery (giant flower, hummingbird, etc) in black.. it's big enough that it should be seen, and if not at a distance at least it adds beautiful elements up close. I made the smaller details a light brown and yellow so that they would be more visible. Thank you for the compliments =)

daedalusknight

quality posts: 3 Private Messages daedalusknight
eyeslikesugar wrote:Yeah.. that's why I made the very exaggerated imagery (giant flower, hummingbird, etc) in black.. it's big enough that it should be seen, and if not at a distance at least it adds beautiful elements up close. I made the smaller details a light brown and yellow so that they would be more visible. Thank you for the compliments =)

Hehe... sorry for making you explain yourself twice. :-)

eyeslikesugar

daedalusknight wrote:Hehe... sorry for making you explain yourself twice. :-)

Quite alright =)

Discobiscuits

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Discobiscuits
eyeslikesugar wrote:Hey.. here's another Mother Nature.. her twin sister; we'll call her Aunt Nature =)

details

It looks good, but I'm really sick of seeing those brushes over and over again!

eyeslikesugar

Discobiscuits wrote:It looks good, but I'm really sick of seeing those brushes over and over again!

Oh silly, we all know clip art and brushes have been a fine Woot tradition, and people tend to vote for them. And for what it's worth.. they are all new. =3 (I made some)

mjc613

quality posts: 48 Private Messages mjc613

There are so many entries that I WANT this derby! There is so much great artwork, so many fun designs, so many wearable shirts! I didn't expect this at all.

I don't want any of the designs in the fog to leave, but there are so many out of it that I want too! This is gratifyingly unbelieveable. And this is in addtion to ones that were rejected that I wanted also.

Wanted to get that out before I went to sleep.

radiomode

quality posts: 3 Private Messages radiomode

Hi people!

Any of you with years of woot experience think that one still have a chance when submitting something to derby after Sunday??

eHalcyon

quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
radiomode wrote:Hi people!

Any of you with years of woot experience think that one still have a chance when submitting something to derby after Sunday??

I'm not that experienced, but even in the few derbies I've watched, I've seen some shirts rise remarkably quickly. I'm sure it's possible - though it's unlikely, I think.

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

radiomode

quality posts: 3 Private Messages radiomode
eHalcyon wrote:I'm not that experienced, but even in the few derbies I've watched, I've seen some shirts rise remarkably quickly. I'm sure it's possible - though it's unlikely, I think.

Hmm, ok.
So Saturday/early Sunday is the last call...??

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
radiomode wrote:Hmm, ok.

I think we've had foggers as late as early monday, but yeah, that's about right. Some artists enjoy putting in late subs just to see how they fare, but by the end of sunday, almost all the serious entries are in.

I'd say sunday entries fog relatively often... not being submit immediately gives them more chance at hotness exposure, so they often climb quickly. But like any other entry, if they don't snag that opportunity, they will likely languish in the middle of the pack. Best way to find out is to submit

eHalcyon

quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
AdderXYU wrote:I think we've had foggers as late as early monday, but yeah, that's about right. Some artists enjoy putting in late subs just to see how they fare, but by the end of sunday, almost all the serious entries are in.

I'd say sunday entries fog relatively often... not being submit immediately gives them more chance at hotness exposure, so they often climb quickly. But like any other entry, if they don't snag that opportunity, they will likely languish in the middle of the pack. Best way to find out is to submit

Hmm... I still had an idea I wanted to try but I was too busy on Saturday. Maybe later today then...

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

Webfoot08

radiomode wrote:Hmm, ok.

Radiomode, I wouldn't worry too much. Very talented artists will rise to the top (so to speak) here very quickly, especially after they get some name recognition. Give yourself a chance to get established and you'll develop a fan base. With your talent and experience, I'd say you have no worries - so keep on submitting! We like your work!

DirtiusMaximus

quality posts: 0 Private Messages DirtiusMaximus

So, is this where you pimp your designs? 'Cause, you know, I'd love more votes and all.

Feedback would be great, too.

wooterer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wooterer

My first hotness in like, forever. Thank you for all your votes!!!

http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=13840

wooterer

oops

wooterer

Webfoot08 wrote:Radiomode, I wouldn't worry too much. Very talented artists will rise to the top (so to speak) here very quickly, especially after they get some name recognition. Give yourself a chance to get established and you'll develop a fan base. With your talent and experience, I'd say you have no worries - so keep on submitting! We like your work!

This is why I think it would be nice to submit designs anonymously, so it's not the fan base that matters, but design quality/novelty/etc

artulo

quality posts: 13 Private Messages artulo

Thanks everyone for the votes so far!

tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

tgentry wrote:Modern Avian Motherhood

Any thoughts on how I could improve this one? I had high hopes for it just because I really liked it myself, but it pretty much hit a wall and is now treading water. Just not everyone's cup of tea? Something wrong with the colors/design/concept?... I'd appreciate any feedback.

recchiap

quality posts: 0 Private Messages recchiap

Anyone else think this is a relatively weak derby? Besides the Dragon, I don't really like any designs. Actually, I like the Hero design too, but no one seems to be voting for that one.

nicyoungblood

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nicyoungblood

i think this is the weakest derby ever, no offense to the designers, but I wouldnt buy any of these designs, nor would i buy any of them for my mom. EVER! just waiting for the next derby...

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
DirtiusMaximus wrote:So, is this where you pimp your designs? 'Cause, you know, I'd love more votes and all.

My main feedback would be "don't give up." You've got some clear talent here, and we need that in the derbies. It's easy to get discouraged when you see fogs like we have this week, but you've got the skill... all you've got to do is pull out a concept that the wooters will latch on to, and you'll pull off a win (and if not, you'll likely develop a reputation strong enough to attract notice if you begin submitting elsewhere).

The other thing to watch out for is art vs. shirt. Shirts are different than a sketchbook or a canvas, and a big part of shirt design is how the art fits the "canvas"... not all art is equally wearable. I don't think this design really has that problem (I'd pass that question to someone more skilled than I) but I'd say that's the #1 downfall of most of the best artists on the site. Cho and Gentry win so often not because of their superior artistry as compared to most of the site (though that certainly helps) but because they both have a strong sense of the medium... they know how to make their art compliment a shirt, how to make it wearable. Something worth watching out for if you're new to the medium and serious about trying your hand at the derbies.

derekfilley

quality posts: 0 Private Messages derekfilley
radiomode wrote:Hi people!

yes, but two things have to happen in order for this to work.

1. the fog designs that week need to be only semi-popular/buttery croissant.
2. the monday design needs to be 'with a bullet'. It needs to hit #1 in th ehotness and stay there or near there until the end.

It has happened before though, many times.

Check out my blog:Here!

derekfilley

quality posts: 0 Private Messages derekfilley
tgentry wrote:Any thoughts on how I could improve this one? I had high hopes for it just because I really liked it myself, but it pretty much hit a wall and is now treading water. Just not everyone's cup of tea? Something wrong with the colors/design/concept?... I'd appreciate any feedback.

Derbies still baffle me. I thought you, cho, and fable were the only ones who had a steady bead on the way things work.
The design is well drawn, but the concept is a little hazy. I still don't think I 'get it' (why is the nest on the bird's back? why is there a fake bird?)

Other than that, timing of derby submissions is critical, as is luck. You probably hit a poor submission time.

Check out my blog:Here!

klswoot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages klswoot
derekfilley wrote:Derbies still baffle me. I thought you, cho, and fable were the only ones who 'get it' ;-)

The design is well drawn, but the concept is a little hazy. I still don't think I 'get it' (why is the nest on the bird's back? why is there a fake bird?)

Other than that, timing of derby submissions is critical, as is luck. You probably hit a poor submission time.

TG - I love the design. I think I agree with Derek a little about the "getting it" aspect of the the design. When I first sold the "modern avian" reference, I thought that she might be a single mom having to go back to work and have a 'stand in' mom care for the kids. But then I saw the nest attached to the mama bird and I had a harder time making this jive with the story that I thought you were telling.

Maybe you can explain it to me a little, so I can fully appreciate the design. Other than that, I think it's a fantastic design!

Webfoot08

wooterer wrote:This is why I think it would be nice to submit designs anonymously, so it's not the fan base that matters, but design quality/novelty/etc

In a perfect world, we would all be objective and nonjudgmental and able to discern underlying values like design quality/novelty/etc. and put aside our bias. Unfortunately, we have the habit as a society and as individuals of liking certain designers and manufacturers (Ford, Saturn, Cadillac, Clinique, Calvin, Revlon, Del Monte, Hershey's, Pepsi, whatever) because we find that their offerings mesh with our preferences more often than not. Being creatures of habit, we will tend to stick with what we know we like.

That said, I agree that anon. submissions would make it much more fair and probably more exciting. Wonder if Woot would ever consider doing that - like using software to automatically assign a number to each design upon submission, instead of letting the username show. It certainly would level the playing field, wouldn't it?

Bryan818

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Bryan818
tgentry wrote:Any thoughts on how I could improve this one? I had high hopes for it just because I really liked it myself, but it pretty much hit a wall and is now treading water. Just not everyone's cup of tea? Something wrong with the colors/design/concept?... I'd appreciate any feedback.

doesnt scream tgentry

Please check it out

Webfoot08

recchiap wrote:Anyone else think this is a relatively weak derby? Besides the Dragon, I don't really like any designs. Actually, I like the Hero design too, but no one seems to be voting for that one.

Happens every derby, someone's feeling blah about what's offered. There's not a whole lot overall that I feel I have to have, week to week. I was excited about Treacherous Waters and bought one, and now there's one I'm really hoping for in this derby, but rarely do I see anything that's good enough to put me in a state of shirt lust. Koi Fish was the last one to do that. :-)

Maybe you're just picky, like me.

klswoot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages klswoot

Robert - Do you still want us to nominate other designers for 'best loser' awards? If so, when do you need the nominations? And, do we post them here, or email them to you?

DirtiusMaximus

quality posts: 0 Private Messages DirtiusMaximus
AdderXYU wrote:My main feedback would be "don't give up." You've got some clear talent here, and we need that in the derbies. It's easy to get discouraged when you see fogs like we have this week, but you've got the skill... all you've got to do is pull out a concept that the wooters will latch on to, and you'll pull off a win (and if not, you'll likely develop a reputation strong enough to attract notice if you begin submitting elsewhere).

The other thing to watch out for is art vs. shirt. Shirts are different than a sketchbook or a canvas, and a big part of shirt design is how the art fits the "canvas"... not all art is equally wearable. I don't think this design really has that problem (I'd pass that question to someone more skilled than I) but I'd say that's the #1 downfall of most of the best artists on the site. Cho and Gentry win so often not because of their superior artistry as compared to most of the site (though that certainly helps) but because they both have a strong sense of the medium... they know how to make their art compliment a shirt, how to make it wearable. Something worth watching out for if you're new to the medium and serious about trying your hand at the derbies.

Thanks for the feedback, seriously. The peculiarities of designing for a shirt, as opposed to other mediums, is something that I've been thinking a lot about, and I confess that I'm very new to it. Here's hoping I only get better.

Still, vote for my Mother Goose!

Headrow

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Headrow
Webfoot08 wrote:Happens every derby, someone's feeling blah about what's offered. There's not a whole lot overall that I feel I have to have, week to week. I was excited about Treacherous Waters and bought one, and now there's one I'm really hoping for in this derby, but rarely do I see anything that's good enough to put me in a state of shirt lust. Koi Fish was the last one to do that. :-)

Maybe you're just picky, like me.

Also feeling very blah about what's being offered. I keep looking at the fog and others nearby and thinking, "why would anyone want to wear that as a t-shirt?"

So far, there's been a grand total of one derby entry to get printed that I liked better than any other entry.

mia3mom

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mia3mom
Headrow wrote:Also feeling very blah about what's being offered. I keep looking at the fog and others nearby and thinking, "why would anyone want to wear that as a t-shirt?"

So far, there's been a grand total of one derby entry to get printed that I liked better than any other entry.

This is why there are different topics each derby. Right now I want 8 out of the top 10, plus several others with fewer votes. That said, I'm a mom and the theme is motherhood. I'd like to make a few of them into pillows for the non-t-shirt moms I know.

For several derbies I wanted the 4th place finisher more than any others, though I usually like one of the top 3.

I'm sure there are derbies coming with themes that won't appeal to me. I guess that week I'd end up saving some money, or buying a shirt from the reckoning list that I've been wanting.

& the Gaggle of Girls; so many shirts, so little space in the dresser!

Webfoot08

jimiyo wrote:theres alot of good designs not in the fog this week.

http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=13879
http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=13876
http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=13846
http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=13838
http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=13720
http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=13663

i started this. now not for woot, but still in regards to mother.

I agree with you on nearly all your choices.

Your new shirt is ... wow! ... very um, Catholic!

folkkevi

quality posts: 0 Private Messages folkkevi

Please give my bee shirt a look and let me know what you think, link is below in my signature. Thank you!

dea007

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dea007
DirtiusMaximus wrote:So, is this where you pimp your designs? 'Cause, you know, I'd love more votes and all.

I like the idea, but it seems to cluttered for me to wear.

folkkevi

quality posts: 0 Private Messages folkkevi

Please check out my shirt, and vote if you like it. (link is in my sig.)

SkekTek

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek

This is a late entry.