mia3mom

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mia3mom
SkekTek wrote:This is a late entry.

woot! I've been waiting for a supergeek entry!

thanky thanky skek!

& the Gaggle of Girls; so many shirts, so little space in the dresser!

SkekTek

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek
mia3mom wrote:woot! I've been waiting for a supergeek entry!

thanky thanky skek!

I thought there was a void... Glad to help!

dekonstruct

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dekonstruct
mia3mom wrote:woot! I've been waiting for a supergeek entry!

thanky thanky skek!

I like that this is designed in the pocket region, where the protector obviously goes. Great idea..

SkekTek

dekonstruct wrote:I like that this is designed in the pocket region, where the protector obviously goes. Great idea..

Thanks! It didn't look right anywhere else, or at any other size.

Patchitect

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Patchitect

Mom is Cuckoo!!

I tell you - theres something aint right about that boy.. No sir-eee... His mother wont admit it, keeps treating 'im like just one of the other kids.. but Nothing good's ever gonna come of that boy...

eyeslikesugar

quality posts: 2 Private Messages eyeslikesugar
Patchitect wrote:Mom is Cuckoo!!

I tell you - theres something aint right about that boy.. No sir-eee... His mother wont admit it, keeps treating 'im like just one of the other kids.. but Nothing good's ever gonna come of that boy...

I love the cute, big bird =D

-James Cho -EdgarRMcherly Shirt.Woot.Com - Ye Oldest Sucker - 2009

eHalcyon

quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon

It's really late, but if anyone wants an idea...

The caption would be "I want my mummy"; there would be a little mummy sneaking out of a small sarcophagus and into a larger one. Maybe with something chasing the little one - archaeologists, perhaps?

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

eHalcyon

quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon

I haven't advertised my design in here yet:

If you won't vote because of the sadness, please note that it is actually a tofurkey (tofu turkey). Momma is still safe. =)

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

klswoot wrote:TG - I love the design. I think I agree with Derek a little about the "getting it" aspect of the the design. When I first sold the "modern avian" reference, I thought that she might be a single mom having to go back to work and have a 'stand in' mom care for the kids. But then I saw the nest attached to the mama bird and I had a harder time making this jive with the story that I thought you were telling.

Maybe you can explain it to me a little, so I can fully appreciate the design. Other than that, I think it's a fantastic design!

I guess the concept doesn't come across completely. First I was thinking about all the extra stuff that goes along with parenting these days. When my son was born we had to get car seats, strollers, Baby Bjorns, walkers, cribs, walkie talkies, signing DVD's, Elmo DVD's, Thomas DVD's. And then I go to work for most of the day, come home and spend an hour with him before he goes to bed. Recently he started going to day care and it was a very strange feeling leaving him with someone else to take care of him. I thought about what a strange concept it is to work all the time so you can pay for someone else to raise your kid for you. Also I thought about how I occasionally drop him in front of the TV so I can have a moment of peace and quiet. Those two things made me think of the pine cone bird. I guess not all these things come across clearly, it's more of a mishmash of the different feelings I had/have on being a parent.

bsweber

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bsweber

klswoot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages klswoot
tgentry wrote:I guess the concept doesn't come across completely. First I was thinking about all the extra stuff that goes along with parenting these days. When my son was born we had to get car seats, strollers, Baby Bjorns, walkers, cribs, walkie talkies, signing DVD's, Elmo DVD's, Thomas DVD's. And then I go to work for most of the day, come home and spend an hour with him before he goes to bed. Recently he started going to day care and it was a very strange feeling leaving him with someone else to take care of him. I thought about what a strange concept it is to work all the time so you can pay for someone else to raise your kid for you. Also I thought about how I occasionally drop him in front of the TV so I can have a moment of peace and quiet. Those two things made me think of the pine cone bird. I guess not all these things come across clearly, it's more of a mishmash of the different feelings I had/have on being a parent.

Thanks for the explanation TG! I think you did a great job portraying this with your design. It's like she carries the weight of the household with her ... even if she has a 'stand in' mom, she's never far from home.

This entry is one of my top 5 favorites this derby.

mjl9320

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mjl9320

worst... theme... ever.

daedalusknight

quality posts: 1 Private Messages daedalusknight
AdderXYU wrote:The other thing to watch out for is art vs. shirt. Shirts are different than a sketchbook or a canvas, and a big part of shirt design is how the art fits the "canvas"... not all art is equally wearable. I don't think this design really has that problem (I'd pass that question to someone more skilled than I) but I'd say that's the #1 downfall of most of the best artists on the site. Cho and Gentry win so often not because of their superior artistry as compared to most of the site (though that certainly helps) but because they both have a strong sense of the medium... they know how to make their art compliment a shirt, how to make it wearable. Something worth watching out for if you're new to the medium and serious about trying your hand at the derbies.

Yeah, I've been seeing this a lot lately... people who make up really clever designs but don't stop to think "Hey... would I wear this on a shirt? Would anyone wear this on a shirt?" A number of designs I see would be fabulous as framed art... or as greeting cards... or as a wacky image you forward your friends through e-mail... but very few people would want to wear those images on shirts.

Seattlejo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Seattlejo
tgentry wrote:Any thoughts on how I could improve this one? I had high hopes for it just because I really liked it myself, but it pretty much hit a wall and is now treading water. Just not everyone's cup of tea? Something wrong with the colors/design/concept?... I'd appreciate any feedback.

To be honest, I usually like your work, i just don't get this design. the flowers are nice, but the fake baby birds seemed just odd.

derekfilley

quality posts: 0 Private Messages derekfilley
tgentry wrote:I guess the concept doesn't come across completely. First I was thinking about all the extra stuff that goes along with parenting these days. When my son was born we had to get car seats, strollers, Baby Bjorns, walkers, cribs, walkie talkies, signing DVD's, Elmo DVD's, Thomas DVD's. And then I go to work for most of the day, come home and spend an hour with him before he goes to bed. Recently he started going to day care and it was a very strange feeling leaving him with someone else to take care of him. I thought about what a strange concept it is to work all the time so you can pay for someone else to raise your kid for you. Also I thought about how I occasionally drop him in front of the TV so I can have a moment of peace and quiet. Those two things made me think of the pine cone bird. I guess not all these things come across clearly, it's more of a mishmash of the different feelings I had/have on being a parent.

The thing that confused me was the nest-backpack. Perhaps the concept would have been a bit clearer if it was obvious the bird was going off to work. If it were a male bird, you could simply add a briefcase, but for a mother bird... pantsuit perhaps? purse?

Tricky.

Check out my blog:Here!

klswoot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages klswoot

You do beautiful work Jimi. Love the virgin mother design. There's a festival in my husband's hometown in Spain where they pay tribute to "La Virgen de la Soledad". This illustration reminds me of the statue that they carry from the church during the festival. (Sorry for the poor photo.)

whyskurs

quality posts: 0 Private Messages whyskurs

Second entry

The recipe:

The Mother Recipe

- 37 Lts. water

- 15 lbs. Unconditional Love

- 15 lbs. OverBEARing Protection

- 10 lbs. Hugs ‘N’ Kisses

- 9 lbs. Culinary Expertise

- dash of Omniscience

Pre-heat oven to 98.6 degrees Fahrenheit.
Pour Unconditional Love and OverBEARing Protection in water. Mix until it’s thick with love and tells you to be careful not to burn yourself!
Throw in as many Hugs ‘N’ Kisses as you can (don’t be alarmed if you here some smacking noises; those are the kisses hard at work).
Slowly stir in Culinary Expertise and you’ll receive a compliment on your baking skills.
Add a dash of Omniscience and the mix will know what’s best for you, and where you are and what you’re doing at all times! (growth of eyes in back of head is normal!)
Pour batter in mom-shaped pan and bake for 9 months.

Vote here if you'd like.

redcoulter

quality posts: 0 Private Messages redcoulter

I had a surge. I'm at the top of the hotness. Thanks everyone

Vote for me

DirtiusMaximus

quality posts: 0 Private Messages DirtiusMaximus

Wow! Momspit got rejected! I thought that one was going straight to #1.

daedalusknight

DirtiusMaximus wrote:Wow! Momspit got rejected! I thought that one was going straight to #1.

Wait... there's actually a product out there called "momspit"? That... that's mindboggling...

Deliverance2005

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Deliverance2005

Have thrown in my entry a little bit late this week, but let me know what you think and drop in and vote as well. Thanks all!

Motherhood = Ensuring Your Child Sleeps Well

DirtiusMaximus

quality posts: 0 Private Messages DirtiusMaximus
SkekTek wrote:This is a late entry.

I kinda like it, but isn't the Klingon logo copyrighted?

tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

Is anyone else getting a password popup from arrowheadministry.com when they load this page? Anyone know what that's about?

bluchez

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bluchez
tgentry wrote:Is anyone else getting a password popup from arrowheadministry.com when they load this page? Anyone know what that's about?

bkarrowhead's post is attempting to show an image off of an ftp site that requires a login.

daedalusknight

tgentry wrote:Is anyone else getting a password popup from arrowheadministry.com when they load this page? Anyone know what that's about?

Not I... do you have your popup blocker turned off?

bluchez

daedalusknight wrote:Not I... do you have your popup blocker turned off?

I think it depends on the browser as to whether it attempts to login for an image. I don't think that IE even tries (does not even w/ popup blocker off), but both Firefox and Opera do and I get a prompt.

daedalusknight

bluchez wrote:I think it depends on the browser as to whether it attempts to login for an image. I don't think that IE even tries (does not even w/ popup blocker off), but both Firefox and Opera do and I get a prompt.

I've got Firefox, but I also have an external popup blocker (anyone remember adsubtract from back in the day?) so that may be why I'm not seeing it.

Anyway, we can just post a bunch of stuff until we get to the next page and then it won't be a bother anymore. :-)

bluchez

daedalusknight wrote:I've got Firefox, but I also have an external popup blocker (anyone remember adsubtract from back in the day?) so that may be why I'm not seeing it.

Anyway, we can just post a bunch of stuff until we get to the next page and then it won't be a bother anymore. :-)

Report fixed it.

daedalusknight

bluchez wrote:Report fixed it.

Heheh. I'm glad someone's reading the reports. :-)

findingthefourth

quality posts: 0 Private Messages findingthefourth

Honestly, I didn't know if this idea would work... but I thought about playing it in a couple of different ways and chose the way I liked the best.

That being said, the main interpretation I was going for was the classic "If all of your friends jumped off a bridge... would you???" peer pressure offensive used by my mother and at least 200 other wooter's mothers.

Also, this is my first shirt design so thank you for all of the great comments and the votes!

Keep voting!

folkkevi

quality posts: 0 Private Messages folkkevi

Please consider checking out and voting for my earlier shirt entry, thank you!
The Original Mother V.2

SkekTek

DirtiusMaximus wrote:I kinda like it, but isn't the Klingon logo copyrighted?

I've seen it on fanbased things before. It is itself a derivation of a Sanscrit character, and of course a minor element of the design. It's intended as satire, so I assume under those grounds it should be fine as such. I can't see it scoring more than 50 votes regardless.

wooterer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wooterer

wooterer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wooterer

I was just thinking that I'd resubmit it for the next "Pattern" derby

thatrobert

quality posts: 26 Private Messages thatrobert
klswoot wrote:Robert - Do you still want us to nominate other designers for 'best loser' awards? If so, when do you need the nominations? And, do we post them here, or email them to you?

Yes, please! Either PM or email me. I'd love to print someone's opinion besides my own.

JadenKale

quality posts: 181 Private Messages JadenKale

Trying to give my shirts their last little push before the end of the week.

Failoan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Failoan

Teach Me How To Jump Mum

Thank you!

mia3mom

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mia3mom

Hunh, the rejectionator is moving slowly this week! There are several that I expected to be rejected (due to not following rules), but they're still there.

Glad the offensive one was pulled, though!

I forget over the weekend how tense it is waiting for the final votes, and watching your favorites in the fog and moving toward the fog!

& the Gaggle of Girls; so many shirts, so little space in the dresser!

daedalusknight

mia3mom wrote:Hunh, the rejectionator is moving slowly this week! There are several that I expected to be rejected (due to not following rules), but they're still there.

Glad the offensive one was pulled, though!

I forget over the weekend how tense it is waiting for the final votes, and watching your favorites in the fog and moving toward the fog!

Yeah, some days he gets busy and doesn't get to rejections right away. If people use tattle appropriately, though, he'll get around to them soon. Or people can kindly point out why a shirt will be rejected and the designer can take it down himself or herself. :-)

artulo

quality posts: 13 Private Messages artulo

The dish ran away with the spoon according to mother goose - apparently they had a couple of kids but nobody has ever seen them. Here they are immortalized in punnett square style.