micnormal

quality posts: 0 Private Messages micnormal

Here is my idea for this derby. My mother has used all of these quotes at some time during my life.

sokowa

quality posts: 3 Private Messages sokowa
Turbotuff wrote:How many colors is that? I worry the gun may not show up well on that color shirt but the smoke coming out of it may make it look obvious what it is. Or it will look like she is smoking from far away?

I see seven ;(
blue, red, white, black, grey, two shades of brown

sokowa

quality posts: 3 Private Messages sokowa
sokowa wrote:I see seven ;(
blue, red, white, black, grey, two shades of brown

NVM, black shirt . .duh

Chugaboy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Chugaboy
sokowa wrote:NVM, black shirt . .duh

no worries

wootvan

quality posts: 62 Private Messages wootvan
Chugaboy wrote:

thoughts?

Chug, I wonder if you should omit the text or maybe just use the word "mom" Maybe use this image for inspiration:

ansharp

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ansharp

I actually have a design ready for noon (1:00 EST), but I won't be near a computer at that time. Figures.

Chugaboy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Chugaboy
wootvan wrote:Chug, I wonder if you should omit the text or maybe just use the word "mom" Maybe use this image for inspiration:

I actually tried that last night and it didn't fit. You need the two 0's to make the connection.. then it just ended up saying MooM! No fun!

whyskurs

quality posts: 0 Private Messages whyskurs
mia3mom wrote:I would change the shirt color - people have a thing against white shirts.

otherwise, I like the concept!

Thank you. That's very good to know.

So, anyone have a shirt color suggestion for "The Armament of Mothers: Guilt & Pie?"

mjc613

quality posts: 48 Private Messages mjc613
whyskurs wrote:Thank you. That's very good to know.

So, anyone have a shirt color suggestion for "The Armament of Mothers: Guilt & Pie?"

I think your best bet would be the darker blue in the apron, for the least amount of change to your color scheme. In fact, you need to count your colors, because right now I see 7 plus the shirt color: 2 blues, 2 yellows, gray, red and black on white. Could be my monitor making the yellows look different?

NeedsMoreHobbies

quality posts: 1 Private Messages NeedsMoreHobbies

I really want to see my username on a shirt guys...please? [/quote]

I might actually try that-- look for it in the derby

whyskurs

mjc613 wrote:I think your best bet would be the darker blue in the apron, for the least amount of change to your color scheme. In fact, you need to count your colors, because right now I see 7 plus the shirt color: 2 blues, 2 yellows, gray, red and black on white. Could be my monitor making the yellows look different?

No you got it right. There are 2 yellows but I'm still messing with colors at the moment. For instance I really need to change the color of the oven mits since they look like boxing gloves right now.

I was thinking either light blue or the dark blue for the apron or the yellow for the hair and pie. The yellow seems a bit pale though. Guess I'll play around with the blues then. Thanks : )

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus

Can anyone suggest a title for me?

TurboGraphx16

quality posts: 0 Private Messages TurboGraphx16
Josephus wrote:Can anyone suggest a title for me?

ANOTHER penguin entry?

:-(

mjc613

Here's a few:

Penguin Play Date
Mothers' Day Out
Trip to the Zoo
Visiting Day at Camp Iceberg
Debutantes and Moms Benefit Luncheon to Save the Krill
Life in Antarctica in the 1950s

mjc613

whyskurs wrote:No you got it right. There are 2 yellows but I'm still messing with colors at the moment. For instance I really need to change the color of the oven mits since they look like boxing gloves right now.

I was thinking either light blue or the dark blue for the apron or the yellow for the hair and pie. The yellow seems a bit pale though. Guess I'll play around with the blues then. Thanks : )

The yellow you have for the hair right now looked a little too strong to me, and the paler yellow reminded me of Scandinavians. But it sounds like you are on the right track. I do like the checked apron, but am no means married to it.

judycallgirl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages judycallgirl

Ohhh, like the Mothership Connection? P-Funk Mama. Niiice.

Webfoot08

quality posts: 6 Private Messages Webfoot08

Now on olive... I've challenged myself to do my least-favorite type (zombie) on the shirt color I like least.

Opinions? Toss it and do something all hearts-and-flowers, which is my first impulse always, or stick with the new and different?

Webfoot08

Jersey girl penguin moms?

eyeslikesugar

quality posts: 2 Private Messages eyeslikesugar
Webfoot08 wrote:Jersey girl penguin moms?

More like Far Side penguin moms. =D

-James Cho -EdgarRMcherly Shirt.Woot.Com - Ye Oldest Sucker - 2009

Webfoot08

eyeslikesugar wrote:More like Far Side penguin moms. =D

Exactly! Good call.

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
eyeslikesugar wrote:More like Far Side penguin moms. =D

***winner***
But I can't title it that-

maybe "Keeping up with the neighbors"?

JustJiggles

quality posts: 0 Private Messages JustJiggles
toby8915 wrote:my first thoughts on thiis topic:

Nuts! I was almost done with a wire hanger shirt... Well, if this gets sold, I'm in for one... what does that say about our upbringing when wire hangers are the first thing to come to mind when Moms are mentioned?

waacodemon

quality posts: 12 Private Messages waacodemon
whyskurs wrote:Thank you. That's very good to know.

text looks like it could be hard to read.

I once ate a cricket.

whyskurs

Icedrift Gossip?

Those two on the bottom left seem to be talking it up.

mjc613

Webfoot08 wrote:Now on olive... I've challenged myself to do my least-favorite type (zombie) on the shirt color I like least.

Opinions? Toss it and do something all hearts-and-flowers, which is my first impulse always, or stick with the new and different?

For working with things you don't like, I think it came out well.

But keep in mind, if you don't like them, do you think others will? I am one of the people who are tired of zombies. While this is not my favorite shirt color, it works well with the design. I don't think the color will affect votes, but I think the meme will.

klswoot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages klswoot

Here's the first one I did last night. I tried to do it in a style of my art deco cubist paintings. It features a mother holding a child in a chair....but there's actually 3 chairs to show the 3 generations of motherly love given a newborn via the mom, grandmother and great-grandmother. (I'll post more information under the description, but you might be able to figure it out by the design. )

mjc613

Josephus wrote:***winner***
But I can't title it that-

maybe "Keeping up with the neighbors"?

Can't beleive you're not going with
Visiting Day at Camp Iceberg
I'm shocked.

(She's only kidding)

Webfoot08

mjc613 wrote:For working with things you don't like, I think it came out well.

But keep in mind, if you don't like them, do you think others will? I am one of the people who are tired of zombies. While this is not my favorite shirt color, it works well with the design. I don't think the color will affect votes, but I think the meme will.

I figured that might be a factor. Thanks for the confirmation. Think I'll do another one and submit both. You never know!

klswoot

Then I wanted to do a mother-nature themed design, so I did this one based on a design I didn't submit in the spring derby - the one originally had my daughter's face, my face and my mom's face...but I decided to use just generic simple faces instead:

I also did a less-bright version on creme with a more 'heart-shaped' design....a tad more simple.(?)

Webfoot08

klswoot wrote:Here's the first one I did last night. I tried to do it in a style of my art deco cubist paintings. It features a mother holding a child in a chair....but there's actually 3 chairs to show the 3 generations of motherly love given a newborn via the mom, grandmother and great-grandmother. (I'll post more information under the description, but you might be able to figure it out by the design. )

Utterly amazing. Great art, and you are advancing at the speed of light with your use of color and form. Well done!

mjc613

klswoot wrote:Here's the first one I did last night. I tried to do it in a style of my art deco cubist paintings. It features a mother holding a child in a chair....but there's actually 3 chairs to show the 3 generations of motherly love given a newborn via the mom, grandmother and great-grandmother. (I'll post more information under the description, but you might be able to figure it out by the design. )

I love this! It's Picasso meets Gee's Bend. There's even some medieval Mother Mary things going on. I think this is a WOW!

Webfoot08

klswoot wrote:Then I wanted to do a mother-nature themed design, so I did this one based on a design I didn't submit in the spring derby - the one originally had my daughter's face, my face and my mom's face...but I decided to use just generic simple faces instead:

I also did a less-bright version on creme with a more 'heart-shaped' design....a tad more simple.(?)

See? Hearts and flowers, what did I say. Both are very, very pretty, but I would choose the yellow one for myself.

klswoot

mjc613 wrote:I love this! It's Picasso meets Gee's Bend. There's even some medieval Mother Mary things going on. I think this is a WOW!

Thank you! I haven't submitted anything like this in a derby yet. Yes. There's a mother nature element, a mother mary (crown and angelic halo) and a couple other hidden messages.

Thanks to you and Webfoot for the early feedback.

Webfoot08

mjc613 wrote:For working with things you don't like, I think it came out well.

Afterthought: Well, I may not LIKE such a shirt, or wear one, but I'm satisfied with the outcome, and I did my best, which is all we can do. I didn't put any negative juju on it, or anything, hehehe. Who knows, maybe it'll appeal to the 14-year-old boy contingent.

klswoot

Webfoot08 wrote:Well, I may not LIKE such a shirt, or wear one, but I'm satisfied with the outcome, and I did my best, which is all we can do. I didn't put any negative juju on it, or anything, hehehe. Who knows, maybe it'll appeal to the 14-year-old boy contingent.

Webfoot...I like the zombie design on the olive. The colors really stand out and I actually like the subtle zombie reference. Don't know if I'd wear it...but it gave me a good laugh. You should do something similar to the one you submitted on DBH. That'd be pretty!

tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

Caligumby

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Caligumby
ansharp wrote:Amazing. The only pregnant shirt I might consider wearing.

Personally, I think this resembles Mr. Toast WAY to much. He just took away the wings and the feet nd made it a pregnant waffle...

wanderwal

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wanderwal

AnSharp, What about this for another variation:

Make a "Hello, My Name Is" MOM sticker in the chest area, except turn it upside down. You get a more subtle "WOW" effect still.

MiracleMax

quality posts: 0 Private Messages MiracleMax
Chugaboy wrote:ohhhh I dig that a lot! The vacuum didn't register right away in my brain. Very cool

I like your big brother one too

I never noticed it was a vacuum and not a hockey stick until right now, and I've loved that shirt since the first time I saw it. Ha!

klswoot

tgentry wrote:

I knew you would do this!!!

When I saw the zombie shirt of webfoot, I thought "heck...that looks like how I feel when I haven't had my morning coffee!"....then I immediately thought about your bear entry.

I knew you'd submit it. Cute color choices. Nice addition of the roller in the fur.