klswoot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages klswoot
Re: Mo-om... he’s squishing me!

Hey Daedalus -

I noticed in your description that you will allow Woot to donate the money earned from this design to Cancer research. I think this a wonderful idea and it just made me think of an idea for Woot. Don't know if they'd be on board, but maybe we could have a derby devoted to a charitable cause(?) They could sell the shirts for $11.00 on the opening day and donate $1.00 from each shirt's sale to the charity of the designer's choice.

That way, 3 charities would benefit with each of the 3 derby winners.

Just a thought....it could work, no?

dsladek

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dsladek
QuigglyPhD wrote:A lot of people don't like text in designs, but I for one don't think it detracts from the design at all. (So whatever you think is best is what I'd stick with) Great artwork as usual. What program(s) do you use because your designs are so detailed. I'm amazed you can do this level of artwork.

I always hand draw my designs first with a pencil on paper and then I ink the pencil work on a new sheet of paper. after that I scan the line art into the computer and live trace it in illustrator. this makes it vector based so that I can make it any size i want without destroying the resolution. once I have the line art in illustrator I export it to flash or photoshop for coloring, flash is nice because it keeps your work vectorized but it can sometimes be weird and change your coloring when you export the file back to illustrator. this design was colored in flash and illustrator.

mjc613

quality posts: 48 Private Messages mjc613
Re: ATTILA THE MOM

Can I wear this if I don't have children? If not, I will adopt one. I WANT THIS SHIRT with or without text.

dsladek

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dsladek
AttilaTheMom wrote:<deep breath>

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

totally awesome, I want want WANT it! (Fear me woot if I dont get this shirt).

I am so glad you like it! Thanks again for the insparation:D

ilcarriz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ilcarriz
Re: The Original Mother V.2

Love it!! Definitely gets my vote! I like this version even better than the first.

mjc613

seebach33

quality posts: 0 Private Messages seebach33

you're proud that your grandmother used to threaten you with a spoon? seriously?
did you even get my point? What about those that weren't as lucky in that they WERE beaten? Guess they don't count. "Oh yes", naive fits.

I dare say hypocrite fits as well as you seem to be rejecting my opinion so readily but can't take a challenge to yours.

mjc613

Re: Mother and Child in Chairs

Canvas? I'd Like to have one. Cards? I would definitely get some. Where else can we put this work?
KLS- I have been dreaming about this. I think this is the best thing you have done, period.

daedalusknight

quality posts: 1 Private Messages daedalusknight
zekecatz wrote:I for one voted because I really like the design. I just happen to have been touched by cancer as well so I shared my story but I would have voted for this even had that not been the case. Most of the voters did not post comments so perhaps they simply like cats.

I think, by and large, most voters at woot don't even look at the comments. The sheer number of votes that people get compared to the (comparatively) small number of people who ever make a peep in the forums suggest that this is so. So If I had to guess where most of the votes are coming from, I would say they see the derby theme this week is motherhood and that they want to buy a kitten shirt for their mom. But it's certainly true that I'm getting votes for other reasons as well.

Some people are just cat people, and buy any shirt with a cat on it. Some people love my art (I've seen the love in past derbies with no story about my mother in sight). Some people, I imagine, just need a gray shirt and saw this one was closest to the fog.

And, yes, I'm sure there are sympathy votes out there too. But I like to think that being sympathetic to another person's pain is a good thing, that it should be encouraged in humanity, especially when the end goal is to provide funding for cancer research, in hopes that nobody else will ever have to lose a mother to this disease. Or a wife. Or a sister. Or a friend.

I realize others might disagree with that, but that's how I see it.

klswoot

Dsladek - I can only imagine how incredibly happy Attila is right now to see this entry! I'm sure you've made her Mother's Day already! Fabulous illustration. You have some serious talent. Kudos on a great design!

seebach33

ilstu99 wrote:Oh yes. That I disagree with your assessment MUST be because of naivete. It can't possibly be because my opinion and/or experiences are simply different, and just as right/wrong as yours.

I am proud to be the granddaughter of a woman who threatened to whip us all with a wooden spoon that hung on her kitchen wall. I was 33 when she died, and she had still never taken it down for anything other than a good cleaning.

I should also add that you started with your very definite opinion without considering that someone else might have problem with a belt. I asked a simple question and got a snitty answer back....so who started with not respecting someone else's opinion?

mjc613

Re: Mom's Been Busy

Thanks for bringing this back, artulo!!! It's still got my love.

ommers74

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ommers74
Re: Kicked Out!

Beautiful colors and interesting style - kind of old-fashioned. I like it!

smithsonia

quality posts: 2 Private Messages smithsonia
Re: Bust of Frigg

I think I like the other version better, but this still gets my vote.
and I should apologize for liking your shirt-- historically, my picks don't make it.

good luck, anyway-- and I really hope you make it to the fog!

klswoot

mjc613 wrote:Canvas? I'd Like to have one. Cards? I would definitely get some. Where else can we put this work?
KLS- I have been dreaming about this. I think this is the best thing you have done, period.

MJC - You are too funny! Thanks for the nice post! You've made my day! I'd love to have it stay in the top 10, but it's just barely hanging on. I knew it was a risk and I certainly don't think it was a waste of time to put the effort into this one. Hopefully, I'll be able to do something with the design another time.

Thanks again!
(Still thinking of something great for a red shirt..... one of these derbies, I promise!)

ommers74

Re: Modern Avian Motherhood

Brilliant!

daedalusknight

klswoot wrote:Hey Daedalus -

I noticed in your description that you will allow Woot to donate the money earned from this design to Cancer research. I think this a wonderful idea and it just made me think of an idea for Woot. Don't know if they'd be on board, but maybe we could have a derby devoted to a charitable cause(?) They could sell the shirts for $11.00 on the opening day and donate $1.00 from each shirt's sale to the charity of the designer's choice.

I think Adder mentioned that idea already and I'm totally for that. I'd have no problem whatsoever designing a shirt for a charity and I'd love if Woot made a derby specifically for designs that support a charity. I've got no idea if the powers that be would be interested, but they'd have my support.

mia3mom

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mia3mom

way to go, dsladek! I have a feeling Attila's kiddo will be hard pressed to beat this on mother's day.

With or without the text, I can totally relate to this design. It's also balanced, detailed, and generally cool. I'd wear it happily.

& the Gaggle of Girls; so many shirts, so little space in the dresser!

mia3mom

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mia3mom
Re: Modern Avian Motherhood

beautifully done, tgentry. I love your work.

but this one makes me so sad for the chicks. poor little birdies. poor mom having to leave them. sniffle... I may be overly emotional, though.

& the Gaggle of Girls; so many shirts, so little space in the dresser!

ommers74

mylee712 wrote:When I saw the design on the mainpage, it looked too chunky to me. I imagined the image was large and smack-dab in the middle of the shirt. But when I opened the thumbnail and saw the whole design and placement--Wow! It's chunky, yes, but so very delicate too! Beautiful and balanced design! GMV :-)

Thanks for the feedback. I never know how to present the thumbnail - too small and you can't see what it is, and too big and it looks "loud" and overbearing.
Next week I will give it more thought.

jamesjad

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jamesjad

i changed this from my old version a little all based on the comments i recieved from it. I like this one a lot better, i think the message gets across a lot better, and the placement of the shirt is less awkward. Hope you like it.

mjc613

klswoot wrote:Hey Daedalus -

I think this is a superb idea. I hope they jump on this!!

Daedalus, I never got to say how wonderful your design tribute to your mom is, and I am positive she would be so proud to share it with the ribbon in your signature. I lost a good friend to breast cancer last year, and I also have friends and relatives who are survivors. Many reasons for the shirt to resonate for me.

wooterer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wooterer
Re: All Hail The Queen Version 2

Nice design. My guess it's outside of the woot's printing area. You may want to shrink and resubmit it...

mjc613

llonvent wrote:Doesn't this fall into the "celebrity likeness" category?

Dag nab it. Or however you say it.

I was so happy about getting a red shirt, that I overlooked something obvious.

daedalusknight

mjc613 wrote:I think this is a superb idea. I hope they jump this!!

Daedalus, I never got to say how wonderful your design tribute to your mom is, and I am positive she would be so proud to share it with the ribbon in your signature. I lost a good friend to breast cancer last year, and I also have friends and relatives who are survivors. Many reasons for the shirt to resonate for me.

I'm saddened that so many people have lost friends and family to cancer, but I'm encouraged by so many stories of cancer survivors that are out there. Once again, I encourage everyone out there to check out the Susan G. Komen link I posted above and consider a small donation. You can make a difference in people's lives directly, you don't even need to buy a shirt with cute kittens on it.

They are awfully cute kittens, though. :-)

eHalcyon

quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
Re: Mum's the Word

I've little knowledge of flowers. Is it a carnation? It's very beautiful. =)

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

eHalcyon

eHalcyon wrote:I've little knowledge of flowers. Is it a carnation? It's very beautiful. =)

Oh wait... crysantheMUM?

mjc613

Re: Mom's Apple Pie

I agree with the previous comments - wish I had clicked on this sooner.
The lady's apple cheeks and the title hide the fact that this is not your average Mom - but whose is?

And now that woot has rejected most of the red shirts, I an happy that I have a decent cranberry alternative.

eHalcyon

Re: Computing for two

So that's how we get new technology!

Thumbs up!

Bryan818

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Bryan818
Re: Mother Leads the way

I didn't wanna do it but if other duckies are gonna be subbed... its only fair they see the original.

Please check it out

ilstu99

quality posts: 5 Private Messages ilstu99
seebach33 wrote:I should also add that you started with your very definite opinion without considering that someone else might have problem with a belt. I asked a simple question and got a snitty answer back....so who started with not respecting someone else's opinion?

You made an inquiry. I explained it in what I thought was a helpful way. I even agreed that I was surprised that the "mom's tools" made the cut. Later, I simply explained the foundation for my belief, and clearly stated that both opinions are equally as valid. I'm sorry that you read it differently.

Take up the rest of the issues with a counselor.

eHalcyon

dsladek wrote:really? Does anyone else feel the same? I like the text but I will resub it without the text if you guys want, let me know what you think.

I like the text too, but I think your illustration is plenty clear enough, with or without it. Great job!

seebach33

ilstu99 wrote:You made an inquiry. I explained it in what I thought was a helpful way. I even agreed that I was surprised that the "mom's tools" made the cut. Later, I simply explained the foundation for my belief, and clearly stated that both opinions are equally as valid. I'm sorry that you read it differently.

Take up the rest of the issues with a counselor.

Helpful? are you serious? Wow, I can read your past messages and you were not as mature as you are trying make yourself out to be. Your last comment is particularly mature. You are hypocritical at best but likely delusional and you yourself should seek help. Really. Go ahead type more bs...i'm not spending anymore time reading or responding to it.

Bryan818

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Bryan818

this came out sooooooooooooooooooooooo awesome

Please check it out

ilstu99

Re: Mothering the Queen (v.2)

I think this works very well! No trying to figure it out at all. The best part is that it could really work for anyone as a t-shirt. Totally cool. Nice job!

folkkevi

quality posts: 0 Private Messages folkkevi
ilcarriz wrote:Love it!! Definitely gets my vote! I like this version even better than the first.

Thanks, i tried to take everyone's suggestions into account.

mjc613

Re: If all your friends...

This is so perfect for Mother's Day.

ilstu99

Oh my gosh. I think I know her! I love this. Such a great job!!!

folkkevi

quality posts: 0 Private Messages folkkevi
Re: The Original Mother V.2

Thank you for those who voted and got this into the hotness, made me quite happy.

eHalcyon

Bryan818 wrote:I didn't wanna do it but if other duckies are gonna be subbed... its only fair they see the original.

When I heard the theme, I thought of ducks as well. Mallards though, so that's different.

I also thought of turtle ducks...

I'll give you a vote. My pastor collects all things duck, so if it wins I'll buy one for him. =P