usayhi2me

quality posts: 0 Private Messages usayhi2me

love this shirt-- MAKE IT! Everyone's going to get it for mothers day for their mother

tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

stargrey wrote:hope.....it......loses......again........

I have no personal squabble with either gentry or cho, but I'm so sick of seeing the same designs getting resubmitted all the time. It's almost as if every time w00t comes up with some buttery croissant-ass theme, all the "good" designers resubmit something that lost because they know it'll be the best of the rest. Pretty weak. You two have great design skills, but now it's beginning to look like you have very little originality. Too bad I can't draw, because even *I* have had original ideas with each Derby.

Please consider my other entry then. Before you rip on Cho or me for doing unoriginal entries all the time, you should know that both of us do original entries every week, and a resub probably once a month if that.

daedalusknight

quality posts: 5 Private Messages daedalusknight
ambergreen wrote:My mom died last year 5 months after her cancer returned. She was the youngest of 5 sisters. I walked in the Seattle 3-Day last year and am walking again this year. Fundraising is the hardest part!

I would buy the kitty shirt for a friend with lung cancer who Loves cats.

http://08.the3day.org/goto/teamgreeninpink

I'm sorry to hear of your loss, and about your friend in danger. I'm so glad to hear that you're doing something positive and I hope you get your shirt for your friend. Thanks for your support!

dsladek

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dsladek

Alright guys I decided to take down the other submission. I went with my gut on this one. I think I was splitting the votes. Please vote vote vote! if you voted on the design without text and not this one please add your vote here. I hope that it can pick up enough speed to make it to the top. If this wins it would make a wonderful mothers day gift. I know i will be buying one for my own mom(if it gets printed)

thanks for all your awesome comments!

daedalusknight

quality posts: 5 Private Messages daedalusknight
macntosh wrote: Best of luck and be sure to post an image of the check made out to Komen.

I'll be sure and do that. Actually, I had been planning to donate online so that I can donate in my mother's name (and save them the cost of check processing) but I can send them a check instead if people want to see one.

Headrow

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Headrow
folkkevi wrote:a very nice submission for someone still becoming acquainted with photoshop. I made the exact same mistake with my first shirt (the boxing issue). However, mine was far more noticable. May I ask how you made the image? Tablet, filter, something else?

Pencil and paper - based on a photo. Dirtius Maximus is my husband and he has a degree in art and could teach classes in photoshop. But since he was busy with his own design (Mother Goose), I had my nephew help.

Thanks, btw. I used to draw quite a bit back in high school but haven't done much in the last 15 years.

DirtiusMaximus

quality posts: 0 Private Messages DirtiusMaximus
Re: Mother Teresa

I did help with scanning and making the drawing print-ready in Photoshop.

Webfoot08

quality posts: 6 Private Messages Webfoot08
tgentry wrote:Please consider my other entry then. Before you rip on Cho or me for doing unoriginal entries all the time, you should know that both of us do original entries every week, and a resub probably once a month if that.

If the artists on this site tried to obey the dictates of the self-appointed Committee of Critics that have taken up residence on this site, the artists would all be standing in line at attention each week, presenting their ideas on paper (of a certain size only, mind you!) in hopes of being approved. Of course, the Committee of Critics can't agree on anything amongst themselves, so nothing ever gets approved. No designs make it past their surly critique, and no t-shirt ever gets printed, and all the Woot shirt fans go without.

Isn't the way we do it now so much better? Freedom of expression, people. Freedom of choice. Woot's rules are sufficient for their purposes, and they have shown that they are flexible in listening to the demands of the Committee, but in the meanwhile, how about curbing the criticism for a while, and kicking back, and enjoying what the artists have to offer each week?

(Maybe Valium would help the Committee members. They seem to have their knickers in a big ol' twist most if not all of the time! )

Webfoot08

Re: how precious

There's at least one poo joke in every derby.

hworksinc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hworksinc
Re: Bonds of motherhood

This would be much more attractive to chemistry geeks such as myself if it used DNA instead of random chemicals. When we explain our t-shirts to other geeks, there needs to be some kind of significance...

jandt4ever07

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jandt4ever07

I'm pretty sure woot doesn't allow poop jokes.

~By Edgar R. Mcherly

sundbe11

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sundbe11
thedoc00 wrote:Really...

What's the point in having a shirt "in the running" if it's a poor copy of a trademarked logo? This will get removed also.

Come up with something original... Even if it wasn't trademarked, this shirt wouldn't have a chance... The background and everything about the shirt screams "TV Show" and does not stay on the topic of the derby.

Come up with something original.

wow... sorry if you don't think it's original, but I thought it was fairly clever. It's supposed to be similar to the TV show logo, that's the whole point. It's a parody of the show. I used the well known logo, but changed it up a bit, so that people would get the reference. I'm not saying it won't get rejected again, but at least people who like mine can vote for it. I have just as much right as anyone else to put a shirt design on the site. If you don't like it, fine; I respect your opinion, but you don't have to attack me like that.

sundbe11

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sundbe11
Re: The Polar Mom

Nice! like the shading

ilstu99

quality posts: 5 Private Messages ilstu99
Re: Bonds of motherhood

I really like the idea, but think I'd prefer some actual genetic symbols (which might be too close to a recent derby winner) or a split helix or something.

ilstu99

quality posts: 5 Private Messages ilstu99
Re: llo evolution.

This one still rocks out as my absolute favorite. Thanks so much for the creativity, edgar.

sariavo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sariavo
Re: Mother Nature

I knew you could do it!! Gorgeous, I hope this makes it! When the 60 days are up you should totally look somewhere else to print the other one!! =)

Webfoot08

Re: I can bring home the bacon - fry it up in a pan.

Is that a woman murdering a pig? I'm confused.

EDIT: Oh, wait. It's a frying pan, not a hammer. Okay, sorry!

tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

ilstu99 wrote:This one still rocks out as my absolute favorite. Thanks so much for the creativity, edgar.

I agree, this and Momspit are probably my two favorite entries this week.

Chugaboy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Chugaboy
sozoones wrote:I like it without the words better. hope it gets lots more votes!!

Me too! Gotta bring more people to see it! I'm really glad you guys enjoy the design.

Webfoot08

dsladek wrote:Im sorry but I just like the text I think it grounds the design and strengthens the idea. Im thinking about getting rid of the other one. any objections?

The text is what puts AttilaTheMom's name on it! And I like it better with - it adds humor to the design and defines it. I wouldn't really know what the picture was trying to say if I didn't read the words underneath. *Hmmm, tough lady dragging two costumed Sumo guys by the ear? What IS this?*

The text is necessary, IMHO.

Chugaboy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Chugaboy
shan24 wrote:Nope, I didn't steal an image off the internet and trace it, this is from my own picture I took just the other day and it took forever to make.

But it's been rejected anyway now because it was deemed off topic.

pwnd! Nice picture!

Andy47240

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Andy47240
Re: Father Sun, Mother Earth, Baby Moon

Very creative and original. I like it.
-Andy

dsladek

Webfoot08 wrote:The text is what puts AttilaTheMom's name on it! And I like it better with - it adds humor to the design and defines it. I wouldn't really know what the picture was trying to say if I didn't read the words underneath. *Hmmm, tough lady dragging two costumed Sumo guys by the ear? What IS this?*

The text is necessary, IMHO.

i agree I hope this gets more votes! we are pretty behind. I dont want to witness the rage of AttilaThe Mom if this dosent win a spot to be printed.:0

parkermc

quality posts: 23 Private Messages parkermc
Re: Her Motherly Nature

Wow! This is marvelous. The colors are fantastic and the faces complete it. Great job!

Andy47240

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Andy47240
Re: Mother Goose

Very good illustration. Excellent use of light.
-Andy

tallworm

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tallworm

If this one wins it will be my wife's first woot tee. gmv

Jenyfer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Jenyfer

This is a perfect shirt.

My mom has five daughters. When we were all kids and still living at home, we took in a stray cat, who later had 5 kittens. As we each claimed a kitten for our own, Dad could not give any of them away for who's kitten would be the one to go? So we kept them all.. and Dad put up with his 5 girls and 5 cats.

(We also each had a parakeet, 5 birds. The only other woot shirt I have is "for the birds" which features 5 birds on a tree.)

Recently the mother cat had to be put to down when her brain tumor got too large.

I am a cancer research scientist and give my support to any form of cancer awareness.

Good luck!

parkermc

Re: OH! For ME?

llo llo llo llo! This is awesome! I love the expressions and the destroyed background. Very creative! This absolutely GMV.

eyeslikesugar

quality posts: 2 Private Messages eyeslikesugar
Re: Mother Nature

Thank you for all the kind words, everyone.

-James Cho -EdgarRMcherly Shirt.Woot.Com - Ye Oldest Sucker - 2009

recchiap

quality posts: 0 Private Messages recchiap
thedoc00 wrote:Really...

What's the point in having a shirt "in the running" if it's a poor copy of a trademarked logo? This will get removed also.

Come up with something original... Even if it wasn't trademarked, this shirt wouldn't have a chance... The background and everything about the shirt screams "TV Show" and does not stay on the topic of the derby.

Come up with something original.

I think this shirt is the epitome of the theme. Sundbe11 took a TV design, parodied it, and is giving mom's the respect they deserve. Everyone know Mothers are all hero's, they deserve their due, and this shirt tries to do it.

I'd also like to see some of your original shirt designs please.

Webfoot08

Re: Pandamommyum!

Wow, over 100 votes! See, talent really does tell in these derbies. You go, Miss Laura!

ugomona

quality posts: 4 Private Messages ugomona

K- my 7 year old just saw this and said, "Mom, we should get this for us since we both love flowers so much!" So, you definitely have our/my vote for this! Lovely job!

Headrow

Re: Mother Teresa

just trying out a signature

parkermc

Re: Nobodys' child

Very nice! My teenagers already have a design of yours and love it http://www.uneetee.com/category/productInfo.asp?idx=115 . This one, though, would be for the grownups of the house.

jandt4ever07

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jandt4ever07
Re: The Look

Is the baby supposed to be pooping?

~By Edgar R. Mcherly

Headrow

Re: ATTILA THE MOM

I thought it made perfect sense without the text and I definitely preferred it. Not bad with, but I would be much more likely to wear it without the text. I'm voting for this one anyway because there are some really dumb ones that don't deserve to beat this.

girlhobbit

quality posts: 0 Private Messages girlhobbit
Re: Mother Leads the way

this is by far the best duck one.

meladoriestar

quality posts: 0 Private Messages meladoriestar
Re: Unconditional Love

this is my first comment ever on this site...but i felt compelled...

even though this doesn't have too many votes, this is absolutely the cutest thing i've ever seen and i want this shirt so badly! i'm in love.

metalwolf

quality posts: 0 Private Messages metalwolf

thats nasty

dsladek

Headrow wrote:I thought it made perfect sense without the text and I definitely preferred it. Not bad with, but I would be much more likely to wear it without the text. I'm voting for this one anyway because there are some really dumb ones that don't deserve to beat this.

everyone has their own opinion i guess, thankyou so much for the vote! I hope others will do the same