eyeslikesugar

quality posts: 2 Private Messages eyeslikesugar
daedalusknight wrote:When someone accuses my design of being 99% similar to a copyrighted work, that feels to me like an attack. Perhaps you don't see it that way, but please understand my perspective.

I think we've both fully made our cases here. Your claim is that the works are too similar, that the lines are nearly exactly the same and thus this shirt should be rejected due to copyright infringement.

My claim is that the lines are not nearly exactly the same. That the original design and my own are significantly different and that it does not constitute copyright violation.

I think we've both agreed to let Woot be the arbiter here. They have my large size image and now have the other images as well. Let's let Woot compare the two and decide just how similar they are. I'd like to let the matter rest on that point, unless you have anything to add to my above assessment of our differing points of view? Let's leave it up to Woot and we will see by the end of the derby which one of us Woot agreed with. Do you agree to leave it at that?

For some reason this popped into my head during all of this drama. I think your design is as similar to the source pic as theirs was to their source pic. =(

Wow took a long time to find that old entry! The cat design was rejected in the time it took to find it! D=

-James Cho -EdgarRMcherly Shirt.Woot.Com - Ye Oldest Sucker - 2009

2thFairy

quality posts: 2 Private Messages 2thFairy
bluchez wrote:I would have loved to see this one on the purple with gold foil, but I think it is still cool. Great job.

I liked the original in purple better too. Nice shirt.

klswoot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages klswoot
Re: Her Motherly Nature

Thanks for keeping this one in there! I know it's not the shirt for everyone, but I hope voters feel that it fits the Motherhood theme and would be a nice shirt to give a mom, sister, aunt, etc. on a special day.....maybe in place of a bouquet of flowers. You know the flowers will cost you more than $10.00.

Thanks again for the votes this week. They are greatly appreciated.

Good luck to the other fogged contenders and nearby contenders as well. See you at noon tomorrow for the new theme.

bluchez

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bluchez
2thFairy wrote:I liked the original in purple better too. Nice shirt.

Maybe I just drank too much Crown Royal when I was younger, but I just loved the idea of gold foil on purple.

2thFairy

bluchez wrote:Maybe I just drank too much Crown Royal when I was younger, but I just loved the idea of gold foil on purple.

I hear that!!

eyeslikesugar

quality posts: 2 Private Messages eyeslikesugar
bluchez wrote:Maybe I just drank too much Crown Royal when I was younger, but I just loved the idea of gold foil on purple.

Then there's people like myself whose high school colours were purple and "gold" (yellow) -- so now purple and gold are a negative Pavlovian response. *shudder* so glad it's been almost (in 3 years) 10 years since high school.

-James Cho -EdgarRMcherly Shirt.Woot.Com - Ye Oldest Sucker - 2009

cheapojoe

quality posts: 2 Private Messages cheapojoe
ilstu99 wrote:I think you gotta connect it to mom somehow. Just being something that a mom might say hasn't been enough so far.

I agree with ilstu99, the message may be too subtle. Maybe have a Mother Broccoli on the other side of the plate scorning the other broccoli. Just a thought. Still, I wouldn't comment on the design if I didn't think it was clever and original. Nice work!

cheapojoe

quality posts: 2 Private Messages cheapojoe
burtonrider404 wrote:awesomest is not a word

Its part of the humor. I'm guessing similar to how a kid would describe their mother; therefore, I like the concept.

The pink, turquoise and yellow make the shirt a little too retro though. Maybe a blue name tag, with black lettering on the yellow shirt?

2thFairy

eyeslikesugar wrote:Then there's people like myself whose high school colours were purple and "gold" (yellow) -- so now purple and gold are a negative Pavlovian response. *shudder* so glad it's been almost (in 3 years) 10 years since high school.

Hahahaha!!

Boarder88493

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Boarder88493

i iz pwn3d

Myztri

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Myztri
Re: Feeding v2

This really is a shame. For thsoe who are saying they wouldnt wear it... urm.... dont buy it? I doubt 14 year old girls would WANT to wear something like this.
I think it is awfully silly for shirts like this to get rejected when those who don't care for it simply do not have to wear it. I hope you will have this printed elsewhere because I would love my staff and staff of volunteers to have one to wear to nursing events, seminars, and breastfeeding rallys.

aerodino

quality posts: 0 Private Messages aerodino
Re: A Soft Spot For Mom

Vote for the hairy arm!

Myztri

Re: Queen Bee: The Ultimate Mother

This reminds me of the bee shirt i did a few derbies back...

2thFairy

Myztri wrote:This really is a shame. For thsoe who are saying they wouldnt wear it... urm.... dont buy it? I doubt 14 year old girls would WANT to wear something like this.
I think it is awfully silly for shirts like this to get rejected when those who don't care for it simply do not have to wear it. I hope you will have this printed elsewhere because I would love my staff and staff of volunteers to have one to wear to nursing events, seminars, and breastfeeding rallys.

What exactly is a breastfeeding rally? On second thought, nm.

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
2thFairy wrote:What exactly is a breastfeeding rally? On second thought, nm.

I think it's where teams of five women run topless with a suckling baby, passing it off to the next one until they cross the finish line.

kristynk

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kristynk
Re: Mom's Greatest Hits

I almost voted for this..and then I realized I'd have to kill myself if I ever wore it because of the grammatical error in the second line..

I most recently rock out in Lust Is Like A Flame, but am almost always seen wearing Jimmy...Is That You?. In addition, I am the proud member of 26 total shirt.woots.

Bryan818

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Bryan818
brizz wrote:good to see you're really stretching those creative muscles bryan.

Good to see i your still a jerk...

check out my meaningful entry this week which did stretch my creative muscles
http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=13759

Please check it out

hookajoe

quality posts: 11 Private Messages hookajoe

Brilliant.

Too bad there's so much crap between this and the fog. I'd love to buy one for my wife for Mother's Day.

Just brilliant.

2thFairy

eHalcyon wrote:Bears have hair. Except for Fuzzy Wuzzy.

Ah yes.. Fuzzy Wuzzy. heh

2thFairy

Re: Mother and Child in Chairs

Man, this is just so nice.

mia3mom

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mia3mom
AdderXYU replied to 2thFairy's question about a breastfeeding rally and wrote: I think it's where teams of five women run topless with a suckling baby, passing it off to the next one until they cross the finish line.

Adder, I don't think I've actually laughed out loud due to a comment in faaaaaar too long. thank you.

As to the shirt, I do hope the designer prints it somewhere after the 60 day hold, it would be a great shirt for many moms.

(I can't help myself, I have to clarify: a breastfeeding rally is when a group of people who support breastfeeding gather in one place to show support for or protest a company's policy about breastfeeding) But I like Adder's idea. It would definitely attract more attention!

& the Gaggle of Girls; so many shirts, so little space in the dresser!

AdderXYU

jenny78 wrote:You're just doing damage control now. What's done is done. You got called out, who cares? Why don't you just ask woot to remove it already, and stop trying to defend a trace of a copyrighted photo. So, it's not traced EXACTLY like the picture? Doesn't matter. In the motion derby someone entered a little boy dancing, and it got rejected because people recognized it as Calvin from the Calvin and Hobbes cartoon, and it wasn't even traced. Traced or not people will recognize it as the original photo. I was actually agreeing with you at first because most cats do look alike, but after oopsie posted the morphing picture it was obvious. Here's a thought. If those cats are original, and not traced then draw some different and original cats in a different pose, resub with your sad story, and gain even more sympathy votes because you had to resub to donate to charity. Just be original. You can't trace stuff around here, or try to submit something that isn't original. These people are like detectives. They.Will.Call.You.Out.

Jenny speaks the truth.

I understand where you're coming from re: live tracing vs. what you've done... as I said before, it's clear you drew the cats, to me, and it's certainly not a live-trace, but the issue is that whatever method you used to draw them, the end result is far too similar to the original. Woot has rejected more for less.

I've said this before, and I suppose I have to say it again, even though J touched on it in the quote... the best way to really cement your design as unique and safe from rejection is to build a design from your head first. Everyone needs references now and then, and that's fine, but there's a difference between looking at pictures to form your idea and having an idea that can be specifically traced to one picture. The problem for you now is that even if you drew it freehand with the pic for reference, you've added an element of question to your future, as well as your past. As a good artist, one who could definitely pump out a winning design without a heavy aid (look at Canada, after all) it's something that could haunt you more than a crappy one, and it's something I'd definitely suggest combating as soon as possible with your future work. I hate to see that happen to someone who, thusfar, has come across as one of the nicer guys 'round the wooterverse.

What's done is done, man. New theme tomorrow. Make it original and make it count. There's nothing that infuriates a detective like not being able to find evidence. Don't give 'em the pleasure.

2thFairy

AdderXYU wrote:I think it's where teams of five women run topless with a suckling baby, passing it off to the next one until they cross the finish line.

BWAHAHAHA!!!!

2thFairy

mia3mom wrote:(I can't help myself, I have to clarify: a breastfeeding rally is when a group of people who support breastfeeding gather in one place to show support for or protest a company's policy about breastfeeding)

Interesting.. thanks for the info.

Myztri

2thFairy wrote:What exactly is a breastfeeding rally? On second thought, nm.

I was trying to find a nice way to put "nurse-in". When a business, location, company, etc ticks off a breastfeeding mama by asking her to leave a location for nursing her baby (which is an act protected by law in most states) many mamas will stage a nurse in, where all of their breastfeeding friends go to that location simply to nurse their babies. Kind of a quiet, non-violent protest.

Bryan818

AdderXYU wrote:Jenny speaks the truth.

I understand where you're coming from re: live tracing vs. what you've done... as I said before, it's clear you drew the cats, to me, and it's certainly not a live-trace, but the issue is that whatever method you used to draw them, the end result is far too similar to the original. Woot has rejected more for less.

I've said this before, and I suppose I have to say it again, even though J touched on it in the quote... the best way to really cement your design as unique and safe from rejection is to build a design from your head first. Everyone needs references now and then, and that's fine, but there's a difference between looking at pictures to form your idea and having an idea that can be specifically traced to one picture. The problem for you now is that even if you drew it freehand with the pic for reference, you've added an element of question to your future, as well as your past. As a good artist, one who could definitely pump out a winning design without a heavy aid (look at Canada, after all) it's something that could haunt you more than a crappy one, and it's something I'd definitely suggest combating as soon as possible with your future work. I hate to see that happen to someone who, thusfar, has come across as one of the nicer guys 'round the wooterverse.

What's done is done, man. New theme tomorrow. Make it original and make it count. There's nothing that infuriates a detective like not being able to find evidence. Don't give 'em the pleasure.

ok so im hoping for no server errors cause i just lost my last attempt at this...

For the first time i think ever, I agree 10000% with Adder... i know this wasnt live traced and know it required work. but its a fine line to draw when dealing with anothers photos. And altho most of us dont have 5 kittens layin around, you need to get you reference from either your own stash, an untracable source, or change the image enough to the point where its unrecognizable... but anyway just keep it moving tomorrow your yesterdays news and somethin else will grab our attention... i know i been there... the wooters can gang up on you quick but they can also be pretty forgiving. sometimes.

learn from your mistakes. i make plenty

Please check it out

Hapuman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Hapuman

Tenderness is only part of motherhood though. Protection of the child is the flip side of the coin.

2thFairy

Myztri wrote:I was trying to find a nice way to put "nurse-in". When a business, location, company, etc ticks off a breastfeeding mama by asking her to leave a location for nursing her baby (which is an act protected by law in most states) many mamas will stage a nurse in, where all of their breastfeeding friends go to that location simply to nurse their babies. Kind of a quiet, non-violent protest.

Hmm... I did not know that..

Thanks to you and mia3mom, I can now get some of the more obscure images out of my head. (Though they were pretty funny!!)

AdderXYU

kristynk wrote:I almost voted for this..and then I realized I'd have to kill myself if I ever wore it because of the grammatical error in the second line..

nearly 100 people don't care. Of course, since this is a kenney shirt, 100 votes may mean 20 actual wooters.

Still, even a poorly planned, entirely text shirt is better than a pucker.

klswoot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages klswoot
Re: Mother and Child in Chairs

hookajoe wrote:Brilliant.

Too bad there's so much crap between this and the fog. I'd love to buy one for my wife for Mother's Day.
Just brilliant.

Thanks Joe! I'll try putting it up on DBH or in my cafepress store in 60 days. I hadn't submitted this style to a derby before because I had a few designs like this submitted as a daily. But, none were selected, so I figured I'd try one as a derby design. I really enjoyed the Motherhood theme....even though it doesn't seem to have resonated as well with the voters, I enjoyed the theme.

Thanks to 2th too for leaving a comment!

Bryan818

AdderXYU wrote:nearly 100 people don't care. Of course, since this is a kenney shirt, 100 votes may mean 20 actual wooters.

Still, even a poorly planned, entirely text shirt is better than a pucker.

why was there no pucker shirt???? this theme was perfect for a

_______ mother pucker

Please check it out

2thFairy

Bryan818 wrote:why was there no pucker shirt???? this theme was perfect for a

_______ mother pucker

Ohhh man..that's great; mother pucker!! hahahaha!!

SkekTek

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek
QuigglyPhD wrote:Do what you want. My picture isn't going to win anyways so it doesn't really matter other than just being really discouraging

It's definitely not Watterson... Calvin's mom has short hair and the build is all wrong. I have this strong feelng I've seen this somewhere (either as a variant of Non-Sequitur or something). It's possible it's the pose more than anything that's got peoples' hackles raised, which is very iconic, but regardless, I'm sure the zombification is all yours. I wouldn't support getting it rejected just because it "looks" familiar. May want to work on the 600px comp in future entries- it's pretty pixelated on the enlarged design despite being sharp on the shirt.

QuigglyPhD

quality posts: 0 Private Messages QuigglyPhD
Re: Mother Goose

I am amazed this shirt isn't doing better. Maybe there's a way to submit it to a big design house that does graphic tees for kohls, tjmax, or someplace else. This is such an awesome design i'd hate to see it go to waste just because it doesn't get printed at woot

tjflashman77

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tjflashman77
zekecatz wrote:Very nice use of color.

It is a very pleasing and well balanced design and I have nothing critical to say about it... but isn't it more than 6 spot colors? As far as I can tell it is. I think I see at least eight.
1. white pink
2. light pink
3. medium pink
4. purple
5. light blue
6. green
7. black
8. beige-ish gray
9. gray

Greatest song ever written about JFK here. NSFW... or children... or anyone who's offended by the idea that JFK might have been a robot... fair warning.

zfranciose

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zfranciose
Webfoot08 wrote:It's very cute and nicely drawn and colored. Unfortunately, you may find that submitting a design this late in the derby can hurt your chances of getting into the top 3, because it does take a while to move upward. Submissions that are made in the first day or two (starting each Friday at noon) have a much better chance of making it to the fog. It could happen, though. One never knows.

Also, take a look at the other top competitors and see how they dress up their shirt comps - (what you see when you click on the thumbnail) you can help your design get votes by making a nice presentation.

I like your design. If this one doesn't get lots of votes this time around, be sure and enter more designs in upcoming derbies. You're a better artist than many, and we need more talented artists because it means we'll have more variety in what's available to buy!

hey thanks man. good advice and support. I should have submitted it much earlier.
Do appreciate it a lot.

aerodino

Re: A Soft Spot For Mom

Only about 500 more votes and I'm foggy!

aerodino

Re: Tough Love

I'm arm wrestling: hairy heart arm against plain hairless arm - vote for the one you like best! I know hairless is in, but think macho, too

aerodino

mjc613 wrote:OK Mom. Can I have the keys to the BMW?

No, but you can drive my Oldsmoblie wagon with 206,000 miles on it any time you want! No that's not a typo, that's 206K.

macntosh

quality posts: 0 Private Messages macntosh
daedalusknight wrote:I'm not sure what motivates you folks to go to such lengths to discredit me, but please feel free to submit a tattle to Woot and see if they agree with your comparisons.

Guess they aggread...