mjc613

quality posts: 47 Private Messages mjc613
zewkin wrote:This is a redesign of one I submitted for the Nutrition derby. I don't know about anyone else but I remember sitting at the kitchen table until 10pm at night because my mom wouldn't let me leave or have any dessert without finishing my broccoli. Strangely, broccoli is now one of my favorite vegetables. Who knew?

I ate my broccoli. I REFUSED however to eat my liver.

mjc613

AdderXYU wrote:Some people don't care to hear the truth, and that truth is that at least one in four babies are alien spawn.

Are you serious? Human babies??

mjc613

Galenthegreat wrote:I don't get it...

This is one of several shirts that emphasize that MOM is WOW spelled upside down.

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
mjc613 wrote:Are you serious? Human babies??

presumably. I'd rather have the alien tho, as the other three are probably hellspawns

mjc613

nzieg wrote:Here's a hint for anyone still scratching their heads.

"Guess what?"

"Chicken butt."

Maybe I am not watching enough TV or movies to know what this is. Or maybe I'm not leet enough. I obviously have some company in people who don't understand this or you'd have more votes.

Please explain this to the huddled masses yearning to buy shirts.

eyeslikesugar

quality posts: 2 Private Messages eyeslikesugar
mjc613 wrote:Maybe I am not watching enough TV or movies to know what this is. Or maybe I'm not leet enough. I obviously have some company in people who don't understand this or you'd have more votes.

Please explain this to the huddled masses yearning to buy shirts.

It's something people say when they're like, 5 years old. It's not that deep. =) Vote if you get it, if you don't .. move on. ;)

-James Cho -EdgarRMcherly Shirt.Woot.Com - Ye Oldest Sucker - 2009

mjc613

eyeslikesugar wrote:It's something people say when they're like, 5 years old. It's not that deep. =) Vote if you get it, if you don't .. move on. ;)

Ah. When I was 5, there was a joke, "What did the mayonnaise say to the butter? Close the door! I'm dressing!" My sister and I thought that was just the funniest thing.

toe2254

quality posts: 0 Private Messages toe2254
AdderXYU wrote:sometimes rude is honest. all you're saying with a phrase like that is "please don't offend my poor little sensitive soul."

no, i'm pretty sure rude is not a synonym of honest. of course rude people may think it is because that's their mentality, but honest people know the difference.

AdderXYU

toe2254 wrote:no, i'm pretty sure rude is not a synonym of honest. of course rude people may think it is because that's their mentality, but honest people know the difference.

they are not synonyms, but they can be synonymous. If someone looks like a horse that got run over, telling them so is honesty. It's also rude. You'll get over it.

toe2254

quality posts: 0 Private Messages toe2254
AdderXYU wrote:they are not synonyms, but they can be synonymous. If someone looks like a horse that got run over, telling them so is honesty. It's also rude. You'll get over it.

if you had said "in my opinion you look like a horse that got run over" i'd agree it's honest and not even that rude.

jordoharpo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jordoharpo
Re: I Have The _______ Mom Ever

I definitely think it needs est on the end of the adjective line. It took me a while to get it. I just kept thinking "I have the orange mom ever."

Seattlejo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Seattlejo

Never said it was a plan or even a movement, its just what I am choosing to do. And if they only get $10 it will be $10 more then they had before.

redghia69

quality posts: 1 Private Messages redghia69
Re: Mother and Child in Chairs

It’s good to see you submitting more of this type of work kls, and good to see art can make a top 10 finish in a derby like this where pretty much anything goes. Your music design for the line art derby is still one of my favorites – I wished that one had done better. Btw, I followed a link from one of your posts last week and eventually found my way to your prints page showing more of your cubist work. Some good stuff there. I hope you’ll continue to develop the style for shirts.

daedalusknight

quality posts: 1 Private Messages daedalusknight
AdderXYU wrote:Jenny speaks the truth.

I understand where you're coming from re: live tracing vs. what you've done... as I said before, it's clear you drew the cats, to me, and it's certainly not a live-trace, but the issue is that whatever method you used to draw them, the end result is far too similar to the original. Woot has rejected more for less.

I've said this before, and I suppose I have to say it again, even though J touched on it in the quote... the best way to really cement your design as unique and safe from rejection is to build a design from your head first. Everyone needs references now and then, and that's fine, but there's a difference between looking at pictures to form your idea and having an idea that can be specifically traced to one picture. The problem for you now is that even if you drew it freehand with the pic for reference, you've added an element of question to your future, as well as your past. As a good artist, one who could definitely pump out a winning design without a heavy aid (look at Canada, after all) it's something that could haunt you more than a crappy one, and it's something I'd definitely suggest combating as soon as possible with your future work. I hate to see that happen to someone who, thusfar, has come across as one of the nicer guys 'round the wooterverse.

What's done is done, man. New theme tomorrow. Make it original and make it count. There's nothing that infuriates a detective like not being able to find evidence. Don't give 'em the pleasure.

Thanks for the advice, Adder. I've clearly misinterpreted what Woot permits and does not (perhaps based on what they let slide in previous entries). I'm certainly going to be a far deal more vigilant in the future. Thanks also for the encouragement.

derekfilley

quality posts: 0 Private Messages derekfilley
AdderXYU wrote:Some people don't care to hear the truth, and that truth is that at least one in four babies are alien spawn.

My wife would like you, adder, to know she enjoyed this comment immensly.

Check out my blog:Here!

daedalusknight

quality posts: 1 Private Messages daedalusknight
2thFairy wrote:I think that is the best solution by far. All of the people who said they would buy this shirt should now donate that same $10 directly to the Susan Komen Foundation.

I'm very touched that people are contemplating doing this kind of thing, still. It's not the outcome I would have originally hoped for, as Adder points out, but I think even in adversity we can do the best we are able. Thanks to everyone who chooses to donate to the Susan Komen foundation. We may not raise a thousand dollars, but they appreciate whatever you can give.

I'm going to send them a donation later this week. Join in, if you like.

semitalentedfool

quality posts: 2 Private Messages semitalentedfool

why is finnish on there twice?

infallible

quality posts: 7 Private Messages infallible
Re: Mother Teresa

Hurm, I think it'll hit for the likeness. But even so, she was one of the most overrated people. In actual life, she was something of a sadist and freely associated herself and her "charity" with theives, murderers, and despots. But nobody's got the orbs to criticize her except Christopher Hitchens.

19 www.Woots / 1 tech.Woot / 1 wine.Woots / 13 shirt.Woots / 6 sellout.Woots

heartluce

quality posts: 10 Private Messages heartluce
Re: OH! For ME?

Love your work! Wearing sleeping problems now. Wish there were a larger group picked this derby!

Terribliz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Terribliz
Re: If all your friends...

vote vote vote. must get top 3!

NinjaChloe

quality posts: 0 Private Messages NinjaChloe

--

AdderXYU

derekfilley wrote:My wife would like you, adder, to know she enjoyed this comment immensly.

Do thank her for me. Graciously. I understand she's got a hell of a ninja kick, and I'd like to be on her good side

africadoug

quality posts: 0 Private Messages africadoug
Re: Nobodys' child

It looks good in the picture on the person, but in the other pictures the birds don't contrast as well against the background. Which background will be on the shirt?

NinjaChloe

quality posts: 0 Private Messages NinjaChloe
Terribliz wrote:vote vote vote. must get top 3!

I agree- story of my life, I would actually wear this one.
Lets get this into the TOP folks!

egsaba

quality posts: 0 Private Messages egsaba

I thought it was some kind of bizarre murder scene.

[I still kind of think it might be.]

AdderXYU

africadoug wrote:It looks good in the picture on the person, but in the other pictures the birds don't contrast as well against the background. Which background will be on the shirt?

Black. Like it's shown in the main picture. Woot takes the shirts as presented. Radiomode just wanted to present other options that would work.

geoffreysteinman

quality posts: 7 Private Messages geoffreysteinman
mkdir121 wrote:HAHAHAHAHA

nice

underblueskies

quality posts: 0 Private Messages underblueskies
Re: Dragonly Love

Its adorable!!! I love it. I like the knight and the expressions on the dragons. If this one wins I might actually buy it. =D

angler03

quality posts: 0 Private Messages angler03
Re: llo evolution.

This bio-geek voted. This design is well done (and hysterical), and one of the few I've seen in this derby that would really make a good SHIRT for more than just women.

banjodude95

quality posts: 0 Private Messages banjodude95

I love this shirt i hope it wins!!!!!

angler03

haxrox wrote:Bad news - they rejected my shirt with the same phrase:

Read it aloud

Also, good design (who doesn't like a rebus?), but Woot can't print gradients or transparencies, so use solid colors, or just turn off pressure sensitive coloring if you're using a tablet.

I don't get woot sometimes. I thought for sure this one would get rejected for the same reason yours did. Sometimes I wonder if it's because they don't think it will win, and it's not totally offensive, so they let it slide.

angler03

Re: Your Eggo Is Preggo

I think this is funny and wicked creative. I'm afraid it it falls into the 'have to explain it' column.

jel2301

quality posts: 30 Private Messages jel2301
eyeslikesugar wrote:It's something people say when they're like, 5 years old. It's not that deep. =) Vote if you get it, if you don't .. move on. ;)

I still have no idea what's it's trying to depict, so I don't even know if I know the saying. Please do explain just to satisfy my insatiable curiosity, if for no other reason.

phinxae

quality posts: 0 Private Messages phinxae

gosh, I wish this doing better, I would totally buy it; I think its hilarious but also kind of pro-environmentalist.

mjc613

Re: Her Motherly Nature

Edgar's Amoeba and this one have been taking turns coming in and out of the fog. It just makes me sick.

ilstu99

quality posts: 5 Private Messages ilstu99
jel2301 wrote:I still have no idea what's it's trying to depict, so I don't even know if I know the saying. Please do explain just to satisfy my insatiable curiosity, if for no other reason.

You know how lots of people start a conversation by saying, "Guess what??"

A historically humorous way to respond is to say, "Chicken butt?!?!?!"

Then much merriment is had.....apparently.

The t-shirt is a lovely close-up of a chicken's butt. It seems as though it fits the derby theme by being a mother chicken's butt, nesting her egg.

eyeslikesugar

quality posts: 2 Private Messages eyeslikesugar
jel2301 wrote:I still have no idea what's it's trying to depict, so I don't even know if I know the saying. Please do explain just to satisfy my insatiable curiosity, if for no other reason.

see definition #2

-James Cho -EdgarRMcherly Shirt.Woot.Com - Ye Oldest Sucker - 2009

derekfilley

quality posts: 0 Private Messages derekfilley
Re: Can you tell the difference?

AdderXYU wrote:Do thank her for me. Graciously. I understand she's got a hell of a ninja kick, and I'd like to be on her good side

The last guy who crossed her just winced in agreement.

Check out my blog:Here!

radiomode

quality posts: 3 Private Messages radiomode

Yes, suppose to be on perfect black
Like the one on the middle:

hmmxkrazee

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hmmxkrazee

Clever idea but seriously, that bridge is WAY too big. I can't believe enough people are willing to wear that ginormous bridge.