Schrobblehead

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Schrobblehead
SkekTek wrote:okay, someone please help me understand this. Why is this considered not original content? It's text referencing Ghostbusters, but it's just a hand-edited shaded font with a no symbol. No ghost, no others... halp??? Or is rejector just getting stupid?

You could submit "I am the Gatekeeper. Are you the keymaster?" just to mess with them now. or "There is no Dana... only Zuul!"

I think woot is stretching their reasoning too far. They should just say they don't have a good reason but they felt like rejecting it.

That vacuums about your wrist. Hand/wrist injuries are the worst because a cast will probably prevent you from using that hand at all for several weeks. Hope its not your drawing hand.

I'm a Christmas Unicorn! In a uniform made of gold, with a billy-goat beard, and a sorcerer's shield, and mistletoe on my nose!

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
Schrobblehead wrote:You could submit "I am the Gatekeeper. Are you the keymaster?" just to mess with them now. or "There is no Dana... only Zuul!"

I think woot is stretching their reasoning too far. They should just say they don't have a good reason but they felt like rejecting it.

That vacuums about your wrist. Hand/wrist injuries are the worst because a cast will probably prevent you from using that hand at all for several weeks. Hope its not your drawing hand.

oh boy, I have a serious sickness about me. I nearly posted a comment about the ceiling cat here. thank goodness that I didn't.

;^)

mjc613

quality posts: 47 Private Messages mjc613
eHalcyon wrote:

I'm no longer in the running for Reject King! LoreHera is at 9. She sort of asked for it with her 42 entries though.

Congrats eH. As for LoreHera, I think she asked for rejections because of what she put in the entries, not just because she had 42. But she is one reason I think they need a rule of no more than 8-10 entries.

Less than 28 hours until the entries stop. I think I will celebrate.

SkekTek

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek
mjc613 wrote:Congrats eH. As for LoreHera, I think she asked for rejections because of what she put in the entries, not just because she had 42. But she is one reason I think they need a rule of no more than 8-10 entries.

Less than 28 hours until the entries stop. I think I will celebrate.

no doubt. i'm buying everyone a virtual round when its over...

dekonstruct

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dekonstruct
SkekTek wrote:no doubt. i'm buying everyone a virtual round when its over...

Amen, this is the first derby where I just couldn't look at the submission page due to full body convulsions.

ansharp

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ansharp

I hope you didn't break your virtual drinking hand.

mia3mom

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mia3mom

It's not Mom's Maundering's, this is 5 picks from mia3mom. It would probably make more sense if it was 3 picks, but I can't narrow it down more than this. So, um, 5 picks because we have 5 humans in the house.

Best beachy/water entry
Vaarrsity

JadenKale is much loved in our house, but no matter who had done this entry it would've gotten a nod. A great combo of water and pirates, how could you go wrong? It was sadly rejected, and the subsequent Pirate Aerobics is cool, but not as must-have abfab as Vaarsity

Best mammal entry:
um, none - sorry! But more mammals would be alive if they paid attention to the message on SkekTek's entry, which would get me to buy 3:
I did not look both ways

Entry I want to hang in our house:
I am not a spy

Zenne is another frequent favorite in our house, and her designs haven't won as often as they should have. I am not a Spy is easily the most artistic in the derby, and her hand-drawn font is lovely with great accent colors. Plus, I'd love to see some of our art-snobby family end up with their nose to the frame.

Dragons? Do we have dragons?
not that I saw - did anyone else? with 1200+ entries I lost track

Top 10 pick:
Thor is my Co-Pilot

My husband loves Norse Myths, and he has infected me and the girls with that love. We all really, really want this shirt. Yes, there are a couple other great shirts in the top 10-20, but this is the one that would get me to buy 5.

Of course, there's my favorite entry of mine, My other dog is a Werewolf, and my favorite under-12 entry, Knives are Evil

What are everyone else's favorites?

& the Gaggle of Girls; so many shirts, so little space in the dresser!

mia3mom

SkekTek wrote:Go shan go! get in that fog!

Intaglio entered the carmen sandiego shirt right before mine yesterday, and we both are doing well (im 15th and hes in the fog). out of 900 entries, what's the odds?

i screwed up my wrist at softball tonight. some bone in my rt hand above the wrist joint. makes typing and doing anything with that hand difficult - why im not capitalizing and parentheses hurt. so im gonna go but everyone kick butt in the derby and ill catch you later.

I hope your wrist feels better soon! I whacked my ankle friday night, and it took hours of ice (more than how long woot was down!) and an ace bandage - it's finally OK now.

I love shan's entry, but I've got a feeling it'll be rejected 'cos aquariums sell ones like that. If it doesn't, and gets into the fog, I'd be happy to pick one up!

good luck to everyone with their entries. There's not a lot in this derby that I'd pay money to buy, but ah well. I'm hoping thursday sees a great new theme

PemberDucky

quality posts: 41 Private Messages PemberDucky

Staff

I did not submit anything and am barely checking the derby. (No nipples = I no longer care.) Do I still get a virtual libation?

-----------------------------------------------
Not sure if you should post that? This slightly-nsfw-flowchart will help.

Iambusyeating

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Iambusyeating

Entry Iambusyeating would most like to wear:
Geekfighter12's delightful mockery of neo-Christians and sendup of Norse myth.
Thor is my Co-Pilot

PemberDucky

Staff

No, please, no. Don't be another day of prolonged silence, Cyberpub. I have too much energy for this today. If ya'll don't post more, I'm just going to start babbling random stories to myself (and perhaps the rogue lurker or two).

SkekTek

mia3mom wrote:I hope your wrist feels better soon! I whacked my ankle friday night, and it took hours of ice (more than how long woot was down!) and an ace bandage - it's finally OK now.

I love shan's entry, but I've got a feeling it'll be rejected 'cos aquariums sell ones like that. If it doesn't, and gets into the fog, I'd be happy to pick one up!

good luck to everyone with their entries. There's not a lot in this derby that I'd pay money to buy, but ah well. I'm hoping thursday sees a great new theme

thanks mia for the nod! I broke a "carpal bone"- those little ones in the hand below the wrist. Smarts, and on my dominant hand which makes everything difficult. so excuse the lack of images here...

my faves this week??

1. shan's otters
2. v8r's emo kids don't understand me
3. illushin's gas prices- defying gravity since 2007

But my best fave is:

SkekTek

PemberDucky wrote:I did not submit anything and am barely checking the derby. (No nipples = I no longer care.) Do I still get a virtual libation?

uh, hmm... yes b/c you listened to the rest of us b*tch about it?

PemberDucky

Staff

SkekTek wrote:uh, hmm... yes b/c you listened to the rest of us b*tch about it?

Nice! I also would have accepted, "Yes, because everybody knows a duck is more fun with a little liquor in her."

SkekTek

Schrobblehead wrote:You could submit "I am the Gatekeeper. Are you the keymaster?" just to mess with them now. or "There is no Dana... only Zuul!"

some numnut thought my minion was a direct quote- it never appears in the movie. i resubbed it with my rationale why i thought it was unfairly rejected. So i might be on probation soon...

SkekTek

PemberDucky wrote:Nice! I also would have accepted, "Yes, because everybody knows a duck is more fun with a little liquor in her."

ducked up pember...

Iambusyeating

SkekTek wrote:some numnut thought my minion was a direct quote- it never appears in the movie. i resubbed it with my rationale why i thought it was unfairly rejected. So i might be on probation soon...

I did that during the Text As Art Derby for my Anti-Che design. They just rerejected it. Apparently Woot has a very different idea of parody than the rest of the world.

shan24

quality posts: 3 Private Messages shan24
SkekTek wrote:thanks mia for the nod! I broke a "carpal bone"- those little ones in the hand below the wrist. Smarts, and on my dominant hand which makes everything difficult. so excuse the lack of images here...

my faves this week??

1. shan's otters
2. v8r's emo kids don't understand me
3. illushin's gas prices- defying gravity since 2007

But my best fave is: JadenKale's Looking at Stars in Bed

Thanks Skek! But it looks like you'll have to go to your favorite aquarium or zoo shop, since apparently they are all selling the same slogan shirt. Who knew? Oh well...now my best design in this derby has 14 points.

ansharp

Iambusyeating wrote:I did that during the Text As Art Derby for my Anti-Che design. They just rerejected it. Apparently Woot has a very different idea of parody than the rest of the world.

Agreed, but I think it's a "we-don't-want-to-be-sued" idea of parody, which is understandable, but still a bummer for us "designers" (the quotes are only necessary for me, not for you ). So really, we should be blaming the irrational legal system.

Iambusyeating

ansharp wrote:Agreed, but I think it's a "we-don't-want-to-be-sued" idea of parody, which is understandable, but still a bummer for us "designers" (the quotes are only necessary for me, not for you ). So really, we should be blaming the irrational legal system.

I don't know... sometimes I wonder. Are they more afraid of a poor Cuban photographer or the 26 game companies Cho knocked off in his shirt? At least my design commented on the photo.

PemberDucky

Staff

Iambusyeating wrote:I don't know... sometimes I wonder. Are they more afraid of a poor Cuban photographer or the 26 game companies Cho knocked off in his shirt? At least my design commented on the photo.

You leave James out of this!!!!

ansharp

Skek, re-rejected. Bummer man.

ansharp

Iambusyeating wrote:I don't know... sometimes I wonder. Are they more afraid of a poor Cuban photographer or the 26 game companies Cho knocked off in his shirt? At least my design commented on the photo.

Yeah, Cho's shirt is one HUGE exception, and I'm still surprised they let it fly. Maybe it was a good week for woot, and the rejectionator had too much bubbly in his system. Maybe they don't like you.

In other news, the next derby better allow lots of artistic freedom and NO text, or I might just have to take a break from woot (llo, j/k, how could I live?).

Iambusyeating

ansharp wrote:Yeah, Cho's shirt is one HUGE exception, and I'm still surprised they let it fly. Maybe it was a good week for woot, and the rejectionator had too much bubbly in his system. Maybe they don't like you.

In other news, the next derby better allow lots of artistic freedom and NO text, or I might just have to take a break from woot (llo, j/k, how could I live?).

Yeah this isn't really me claiming Cho gets special treatment... He doesn't. I just get bitter over specific things and have trouble letting go. Ignore me .

Iambusyeating

GRRRR!!! I did SMARTPOST on my free shirts again.

I guess I'll see them next year.

ansharp

Iambusyeating wrote:GRRRR!!! I did SMARTPOST on my free shirts again.

I guess I'll see them next year.

If you e-mail service@woot.com, they will probably change it for you (unless they've already been processed for shipping).

Iambusyeating

ansharp wrote:If you e-mail service@woot.com, they will probably change it for you (unless they've already been processed for shipping).

It has...

Why am I so stupid? I wanted to post a picture of it.

geekfactor12

quality posts: 11 Private Messages geekfactor12

Thanks for mentioning Thor, Mia and Iambusyeating

It makes me happy that people like it.

PemberDucky

Staff

Meeting with magazine honchos in a few hours. Please to be sending good vibes and sweet lovin' this way so I can nail this?

eHalcyon

quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
PemberDucky wrote:Meeting with magazine honchos in a few hours. Please to be sending good vibes and sweet lovin' this way so I can nail this?

Good vibes on your way.

I was feeling masochistic so I decided to submit one more entry. 10 points to anyone who knows what it's about without having to look it up!

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

mia3mom

dekonstruct wrote:Amen, this is the first derby where I just couldn't look at the submission page due to full body convulsions.

absolutely

I stocked up on hard cider, so thursday will include much celebrating. forget Friday, TGIT and this derby will be kaput

Schrobblehead

I just got over a 5 day long cold, the Spurs won last night and something very cool just happened at work, so I need to celebrate........ oh carp. being out sick means CATCHING UP ON WORK. dang it.

I'm a Christmas Unicorn! In a uniform made of gold, with a billy-goat beard, and a sorcerer's shield, and mistletoe on my nose!

mia3mom

PemberDucky wrote:Meeting with magazine honchos in a few hours. Please to be sending good vibes and sweet lovin' this way so I can nail this?

good vibes and luck!

I'm sending you all my "good luck and get a job" vibes, because I didn't need them.

Went to an interview today only to find out that I had the job when i walked in the door. Now I need to figure out childcare and if I can do it health-wise.

mine is tech person for a private school 1 day a week. or two 1/2 days. very flexible, which is great

bluchez

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bluchez
mia3mom wrote:absolutely

I stocked up on hard cider, so thursday will include much celebrating. forget Friday, TGIT and this derby will be kaput

I think I'll celebrate wednesday, because it will be the end of submissions.

SkekTek

ansharp wrote:Skek, re-rejected. Bummer man.

im not probated... cool. it was worth a shot.

Schrobblehead

Josephus wrote:oh boy, I have a serious sickness about me. I nearly posted a comment about the ceiling cat here. thank goodness that I didn't.

;^)

That ceiling cat is your homeboy?

SkekTek

wow... my smell shirt is 7th! but i got a post that someone saw it at walmart (which i doubt). Means people are actively trying to reject it... hope it survives...

Iambusyeating

Alright I'm already sick of this Derby... actually I was on Friday. So I started working on this NO TEXT shirt just for fun. What do people think so far? Advice? Seen it on cafepress?

Schrobblehead

Iambusyeating wrote:Alright I'm already sick of this Derby... actually I was on Friday. So I started working on this NO TEXT shirt just for fun. What do people think so far? Advice? Seen it on cafepress?

Shoudn't there be a kitchen, study, observatory, and some secret passages and stuff like that?

eHalcyon

quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
Iambusyeating wrote:Alright I'm already sick of this Derby... actually I was on Friday. So I started working on this NO TEXT shirt just for fun. What do people think so far? Advice? Seen it on cafepress?

Not sure about your colour choices, but I like it anyway.

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)