SkekTek

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek
Iambusyeating wrote:Alright I'm already sick of this Derby... actually I was on Friday. So I started working on this NO TEXT shirt just for fun. What do people think so far? Advice? Seen it on cafepress?

nice start! only suggestion- since you have shading in the rope, pipe and wrench, you might want to do the same with the others to make them more consistent...

superspryte

quality posts: 21 Private Messages superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

I'm uninspired to give awards this time. To many entries and I don't want to load the derby page. Meh.

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | tg.w: 0 | sp.w: 0 | a.w: 0 | k.w: 0 | s.w: 15 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

SkekTek

superspryte wrote:I'm uninspired to give awards this time. To many entries and I don't want to load the derby page. Meh.

you too? i am not going back until entries are closed. going to derbystats for all my vote updates.

mia3mom

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mia3mom
bluchez wrote:I think I'll celebrate wednesday, because it will be the end of submissions.

brilliant.

I've decided to either drown my sorrows (derby-wise) or toast my success (life-wise) tonight. just one, so the stockpile is still safe. plus there's a lovely bottle of wine I'm sure spryte would turn her nose up at. but I likes it.

& the Gaggle of Girls; so many shirts, so little space in the dresser!

mia3mom

SkekTek wrote:you too? i am not going back until entries are closed. going to derbystats for all my vote updates.

brilliant. I'm refreshing to learn more about the top few. but it's a lot easier to look at sds than reload all the urls.

found out that the vampire shirt (less than 20 votes) was rejected. I missed a zazzle shirt.

but the fricassee shirt is a quote from a book, and I tattled on it myself when i found out they were rejecting quotes. but it's still up. the world of woot is a mystery.

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
mia3mom wrote:but the fricassee shirt is a quote from a book, and I tattled on it myself when i found out they were rejecting quotes. but it's still up. the world of woot is a mystery.

They're rejecting quotes? Next they'll be rejecting shirts that have any words previously published in a dictionary!

Schrobblehead

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Schrobblehead
no1 wrote:They're rejecting quotes? Next they'll be rejecting shirts that have any words previously published in a dictionary!

Noh prahblem.

I'm a Christmas Unicorn! In a uniform made of gold, with a billy-goat beard, and a sorcerer's shield, and mistletoe on my nose!

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
Schrobblehead wrote:Noh prahblem.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/noh

Noh

Main Entry:
Noh
Variant(s):
also No \ˈnō\
Function:
noun
Inflected Form(s):
plural Noh also No
Etymology:
Japanese nō, literally, talent
Date:

: classic Japanese dance-drama having a heroic theme, a chorus, and highly stylized action, costuming, and scenery

Schrobblehead

no1 wrote:

Doh!

I'm a Christmas Unicorn! In a uniform made of gold, with a billy-goat beard, and a sorcerer's shield, and mistletoe on my nose!

Andy47240

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Andy47240

So when this icky derby is over do you think all of the new submitters and vote spammers will stick around? I know we were all new at one point, but I feel like someone left the back door open and there are about 150 people I don't know in my house spilling there drinks on my floor and leaving their cigarette butts and solo cups everywhere.
I'm sure some of them will be an asset, but way too many to figure that out now.

bluchez

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bluchez
Andy47240 wrote:So when this icky derby is over do you think all of the new submitters and vote spammers will stick around? I know we were all new at one point, but I feel like someone left the back door open and there are about 150 people I don't know in my house spilling there drinks on my floor and leaving their cigarette butts and solo cups everywhere.
I'm sure some of them will be an asset, but way too many to figure that out now.

Most of the new people are just entering because they know how to type, so I don't expect that in the certainly NO TEXT derby next week, that they will enter.

JadenKale

quality posts: 181 Private Messages JadenKale
Andy47240 wrote:So when this icky derby is over do you think all of the new submitters and vote spammers will stick around? I know we were all new at one point, but I feel like someone left the back door open and there are about 150 people I don't know in my house spilling there drinks on my floor and leaving their cigarette butts and solo cups everywhere.

I agree, this is the high school underage party from hell, in terms of derbies. It's cool to invite friends to partake in the fun, get some new artwork and artists to open our minds to new ideas and creative concepts. But it's another to have every person on the internet with a graphics program and a stitch of information about creating a 'design' (and I use that term incredibly loosely this week) getting in on the action.

I know last I checked we had surpassed the 1100 mark on entries and I am fairly sure we've passed 1300 or we're close to that number. How many people actually sat down, came up with really clever ideas and tried to make them as unique as possible for the sake of this derby? The majority of the entrants used whatever basic fonts they had on their computer and didn't bother to use it in a unique fashion. The derby is still about creativity, not "let's slap any ol' saying on a shirt and use this font everyone's seen before".

I foresee many of the contestants dropping out once they realize what they must achieve for most derbies, since I'm under the impression that most cannot draw on a computer. I hope I'm pleasantly surprised and we get some great new artists. Unfortunately, like some of our finest have shown this week, really great artists think that text competitions are simply a waste of time.

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
JadenKale wrote:I agree, this is the high school underage party from hell, in terms of derbies. It's cool to invite friends to partake in the fun, get some new artwork and artists to open our minds to new ideas and creative concepts. But it's another to have every person on the internet with a graphics program and a stitch of information about creating a 'design' (and I use that term incredibly loosely this week) getting in on the action.

I know last I checked we had surpassed the 1100 mark on entries and I am fairly sure we've passed 1300 or we're close to that number. How many people actually sat down, came up with really clever ideas and tried to make them as unique as possible for the sake of this derby? The majority of the entrants used whatever basic fonts they had on their computer and didn't bother to use it in a unique fashion. The derby is still about creativity, not "let's slap any ol' saying on a shirt and use this font everyone's seen before".

I foresee many of the contestants dropping out once they realize what they must achieve for most derbies, since I'm under the impression that most cannot draw on a computer. I hope I'm pleasantly surprised and we get some great new artists. Unfortunately, like some of our finest have shown this week, really great artists think that text competitions are simply a waste of time.

Given the events of this derby, I wouldn't be shocked if we've lost some good designers irreparably. Woot has done nothing but screw us over between inconsistent rejections, complete overturning of rules, frequent site crashes... every single derbyist has been disenfranchised this week. I wouldn't be surprised if woot decides next week to further compromise their standards, instead of using this week to force them to be more solid.

JadenKale

quality posts: 181 Private Messages JadenKale
AdderXYU wrote:Given the events of this derby, I wouldn't be shocked if we've lost some good designers irreparably. Woot has done nothing but screw us over between inconsistent rejections, complete overturning of rules, frequent site crashes... every single derbyist has been disenfranchised this week. I wouldn't be surprised if woot decides next week to further compromise their standards, instead of using this week to force them to be more solid.

I call derby next week:

Purchased Vector Graphics Derby. (All you can use are vector graphics purchased from a certain company)

1 place: RobGlenn
2 place: RobGlenn
3 place: Cho (come on, he always wins)
Close 4 place: Some unknown that people will wish won instead of RobGlenn.

mia3mom

JadenKale wrote:I agree, this is the high school underage party from hell, in terms of derbies. It's cool to invite friends to partake in the fun, get some new artwork and artists to open our minds to new ideas and creative concepts. But it's another to have every person on the internet with a graphics program and a stitch of information about creating a 'design' (and I use that term incredibly loosely this week) getting in on the action.

beautifully said.

the fact that there are now well over 1300 entries and 24% have been rejected, plus those removed, horrifies me.

I can't wait until thursday. but at least I will save money this weekend.

And today gave me the push to buy Angry Day

mia3mom

JadenKale wrote:I call derby next week:

Purchased Vector Graphics Derby. (All you can use are vector graphics purchased from a certain company)

who would vote against that?

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
JadenKale wrote:I call derby next week:

No one wants RobGlenn to win $2000 dollars, tho...

I think it'll be "carp we normally say is against the rules" as a theme. We have to submit something submit somewhere else, or too pg-13, or with an unrepresentative thumbnail, or else we won't get to place.

bluchez

AdderXYU wrote:No one wants RobGlenn to win $2000 dollars, tho...

I think it'll be "carp we normally say is against the rules" as a theme. We have to submit something submit somewhere else, or too pg-13, or with an unrepresentative thumbnail, or else we won't get to place.

Wait.....that's this week. HAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

mia3mom wrote:brilliant.

I've decided to either drown my sorrows (derby-wise) or toast my success (life-wise) tonight. just one, so the stockpile is still safe. plus there's a lovely bottle of wine I'm sure spryte would turn her nose up at. but I likes it.

What makes you think that I would? Just because I buy lots of wine doesn't necessarily mean I know what's good wine vs. what's not. ^_~

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | tg.w: 0 | sp.w: 0 | a.w: 0 | k.w: 0 | s.w: 15 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

bluchez

superspryte wrote:What makes you think that I would? Just because I buy lots of wine doesn't necessarily mean I know what's good wine vs. what's not. ^_~

I think she meant "turn her nose up" like "tip her head back and chug".

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

bluchez wrote:I think she meant "turn her nose up" like "tip her head back and chug".

Were you reading the wine.woot forums or something? o_O

mia3mom

superspryte wrote:What makes you think that I would? Just because I buy lots of wine doesn't necessarily mean I know what's good wine vs. what's not. ^_~

eh, usually people who buy lots of wine that costs more than $10 a bottle snub the lovely under-appreciated wines.

I suggest Casa Del Garcia Vinho Verde from portugal. most I've ever spent on it is $6.99 enjoy!

I've been to the vineyards, but I get no kickbacks. sadly

AttilaTheMom

quality posts: 5 Private Messages AttilaTheMom

I like cheese. And wine.

AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH........ whatever.

Iambusyeating

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Iambusyeating
SkekTek wrote:nice start! only suggestion- since you have shading in the rope, pipe and wrench, you might want to do the same with the others to make them more consistent...

This here is good advice.

Schrobblehead

mia3mom wrote:eh, usually people who buy lots of wine that costs more than $10 a bottle snub the lovely under-appreciated wines.

I suggest Casa Del Garcia Vinho Verde from portugal. most I've ever spent on it is $6.99 enjoy!

I've been to the vineyards, but I get no kickbacks. sadly

There is a wonderful wine they sell here in the grocery store that's like in a one gallon box for $7.99. mmmm... franzia

lulz.

Part of my name is german for beer keg, so drinking beer must be in my genes.

SkekTek

hi folks, on this last day of submissions. today i get my hand looked at too see what i did to it, and hopefully get a splint that does not completely immobilize my writing/typing hand (like now). hope my smellyshirt makes it to tomorrow w/o being rejected.

mjc613

quality posts: 48 Private Messages mjc613
SkekTek wrote:hi folks, on this last day of submissions. today i get my hand looked at too see what i did to it, and hopefully get a splint that does not completely immobilize my writing/typing hand (like now). .

I hope they find nothing broken, and nothing that a couple of days of a splint or brace can't fix.

mjc613

This post and JK's reply made me LAUGH!!!!!!

This is exactly the problem with making things easier and less restrictive. Since I don't draw, I was caught totally off guard, but I'm surprised Woot was too.

And yes, they have received entries from new people who could enhance future derbies, but with the site being so slow, it may have discouraged those same people.

We shall see what we shall see.

ansharp

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ansharp
Schrobblehead wrote:There is a wonderful wine they sell here in the grocery store that's like in a one gallon box for $7.99. mmmm... franzia

A friend recently asked if I would prefer a classy box o' wine or a jumbo jar of pretzels as a house-warming gift. I really hope she opts for the wine.

mjc613

mia3mom wrote:

I can't wait until thursday. but at least I will save money this weekend.

And today gave me the push to buy Angry Day

AHA!!! This derby was the idea of dekonstruct, so that he could sell more shirts!!! The truth comes out!

SkekTek

mjc613 wrote:I hope they find nothing broken, and nothing that a couple of days of a splint or brace can't fix.

i looked at the x-ray and it appears to be a minor chip. problem is that the area is very swollen, and most of the problem is bc all the tendons go through there...

SkekTek

ansharp wrote:A friend recently asked if I would prefer a classy box o' wine or a jumbo jar of pretzels as a house-warming gift. I really hope she opts for the wine.

seriously- best cheap wine is Cafe Zinfandel by Gallo (I think that's the vineyard). Red wine but light on palate. great value

ansharp

So I've started showing some of my designs to my co-workers, and I recently told my 65-year-old boss about woot and the contests and such. She just came in and said she looked at all the shirts currently for sale by woot, and she thinks my designs are way better than all of them. Now she may be somewhat out of touch with this sort of thing, but I'll take it where I can get it. llo.

ansharp

Keywords:

SkekTek wrote:cheap Red wine light value

You're speaking my language here. I'll have to check it out before said party.

SkekTek

ansharp wrote:So I've started showing some of my designs to my co-workers, and I recently told my 65-year-old boss about woot and the contests and such. She just came in and said she looked at all the shirts currently for sale by woot, and she thinks my designs are way better than all of them. Now she may be somewhat out of touch with this sort of thing, but I'll take it where I can get it. llo.

i will say that my wife went through them lat night, and had a good laugh at a lot of them. but she said the problem was most of the funny ones had la_me text/font choices,and would have been much funnier if there was art with it too...

kenney9226

quality posts: 6 Private Messages kenney9226

ansharp

SkekTek wrote:i will say that my wife went through them lat night, and had a good laugh at a lot of them. but she said the problem was most of the funny ones had male text/font choices,and would have been much funnier if there was art with it too...

I think she looked at the shirts currently for sale, not the derby entries, but I agree. If some thought went into the font/color/PLACEMENT choices, we'd have many more viable options to vote on. Of course, a little design would have improved this derby 1000-fold, but I'm through bitching about it. 27 hours until a new (and improved?) theme... and counting.

Schrobblehead

ansharp wrote:A friend recently asked if I would prefer a classy box o' wine or a jumbo jar of pretzels as a house-warming gift. I really hope she opts for the wine.

I would totally go for the pretzels. I like reislings and moscato and not much else when it comes to wine... i'm a beer junkie...just having a laugh about the wine

ansharp

Schrobblehead wrote:I would totally go for the pretzels. I like reislings and moscato and not much else when it comes to wine... i'm a beer junkie...just having a laugh about the wine

The boy was like, "Dude, obviously the pretzels, yo!" But I was like, "No way, man, you gotta go with the boxed wine!" And he was like, "Whatever, dude." And I was like, "We'll just let her decide, man!"

llo.

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

SkekTek wrote:i will say that my wife went through them lat night, and had a good laugh at a lot of them. but she said the problem was most of the funny ones had male text/font choices,and would have been much funnier if there was art with it too...

Mine wasn't male-centric, but it got rejected from the fog (legitimately; apparently I missed one). This is three; soon I'll be on a level with Derek for fogged rejections, llo. I'll just need to get a few 4th place finishes to complete the likeness. Poor guy.