eHalcyon

quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
Schrobblehead wrote:How about this? I haven't checked to see if its already been made:

I don't get it...

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

Schrobblehead

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Schrobblehead
eHalcyon wrote:I don't get it...

Someone has never seen Animal House.

This is an extremely popular shirt:

I'm a Christmas Unicorn! In a uniform made of gold, with a billy-goat beard, and a sorcerer's shield, and mistletoe on my nose!

eHalcyon

Schrobblehead wrote:Someone has never seen Animal House.

This is an extremely popular shirt:

True.

I was expecting a joke like... "Junior Colege" (which has probably been done)

Schrobblehead

I'm not really going to submit this.

I'm a Christmas Unicorn! In a uniform made of gold, with a billy-goat beard, and a sorcerer's shield, and mistletoe on my nose!

SkekTek

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek
eHalcyon wrote:True.

I was expecting a joke like... "Junior Colege" (which has probably been done)

Go search for that. It'd be a good idea....

How about this: "fewture JUCO athleat" actually, if I redo the JUCO part (remove it), can I do that idea?

eHalcyon

SkekTek wrote:Go search for that. It'd be a good idea....

How about this: "fewture JUCO athleat" actually, if I redo the JUCO part (remove it), can I do that idea?

Huh... I couldn't find it on cafepress or zazzle. Maybe I'll do it then... but I was sure it had been done before. =\

Schrobblehead

eHalcyon wrote:Huh... I couldn't find it on cafepress or zazzle. Maybe I'll do it then... but I was sure it had been done before. =\

Do you mind if I do this one?

eHalcyon

Schrobblehead wrote:Do you mind if I do this one?

Only if you win.

We'll figure it out if we get there. You can send me a free shirt or something!

eHalcyon

SkekTek wrote:How about this: "fewture JUCO athleat" actually, if I redo the JUCO part (remove it), can I do that idea?

Err... I didn't see this part even though I quoted it early. Go for it, Skek. Both of you do your takes on it and if one of you wins, send me a free shirt or two. =D

SkekTek

eHalcyon wrote:Err... I didn't see this part even though I quoted it early. Go for it, Skek. Both of you do your takes on it and if one of you wins, send me a free shirt or two. =D

You got it. I'll cut ya some cash too... might be in Schrutebucks though...

kenney9226

quality posts: 6 Private Messages kenney9226
eHalcyon wrote:For shame. Audio books are bad for literacy.

I prefer those audiobooks to the pitiful radio on my commute. I realized that they're not making any more classic rock, so there's really no new music for me. And those talk radio stations just repeat the same "shocking" things over and over. And really, if I haven't started an IRA yet, no amount of convincing by any radio financial guru will convince me, and I'll kick myself when I'm working as the 85-year-old greeter at Wal-Mart.

And also, you can't skip any sentences or pages when you listen to the book on CD.

And the dude who read the books made up different voices for each character. That was neat.

SkekTek

Schrobblehead wrote:I'm not really going to submit this.

Pity. I love it. But it'd get rejected... You know, Joel better get some sleep, since we're as a group going to give him fits. I see record numbers of entries and rejections. And bitching...

eHalcyon

eHalcyon wrote:Err... I didn't see this part even though I quoted it early. Go for it, Skek. Both of you do your takes on it and if one of you wins, send me a free shirt or two. =D

Gragh. Earlier. I blame my 2.5 hours of "sleep".

And I checked before I went to "bed" - "I blame sleep deprivation" has been done.

kenney9226 wrote:I prefer those audiobooks to the pitiful radio on my commute. I realized that they're not making any more classic rock, so there's really no new music for me. And those talk radio stations just repeat the same "shocking" things over and over. And really, if I haven't started an IRA yet, no amount of convincing by any radio financial guru will convince me, and I'll kick myself when I'm working as the 85-year-old greeter at Wal-Mart.

And also, you can't skip any sentences or pages when you listen to the book on CD.

And the dude who read the books made up different voices for each character. That was neat.

You could skip on CD. I don't skip when I read...

I'm a sucker for long fantasy novels. I read Deathly Hallows in one long sitting, and I recently got pulled into the Malazan Book of the Fallen.

SkekTek wrote:You got it. I'll cut ya some cash too... might be in Schrutebucks though...

Hoorahs! I don't know what Schrutebucks are though...

mia3mom

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mia3mom
kenney9226 wrote:I prefer those audiobooks to the pitiful radio on my commute. I realized that they're not making any more classic rock, so there's really no new music for me. And those talk radio stations just repeat the same "shocking" things over and over. And really, if I haven't started an IRA yet, no amount of convincing by any radio financial guru will convince me, and I'll kick myself when I'm working as the 85-year-old greeter at Wal-Mart.

He's fabulous! We have other favorite audiobook readers, to - John McCollough is great, and the person who reads Little House on the Prairie is, too.

I'd rather listen to audio books than the girls squabbling. Plus, their comprehension is way above reading level, so it's a great way to listen to thicker books without me going hoarse.

& the Gaggle of Girls; so many shirts, so little space in the dresser!

eHalcyon

mia3mom wrote:He's fabulous! We have other favorite audiobook readers, to - John McCollough is great, and the person who reads Little House on the Prairie is, too.

I'd rather listen to audio books than the girls squabbling. Plus, their comprehension is way above reading level, so it's a great way to listen to thicker books without me going hoarse.

You should try to get them to read as well though, in order to boost their reading level.

I recall a teacher or librarian telling me that you're reading below your reading level if you don't need to look up a new word every two pages.

mia3mom

eHalcyon wrote:You should try to get them to read as well though, in order to boost their reading level.

I recall a teacher or librarian telling me that you're reading below your reading level if you don't need to look up a new word every two pages.

um, really? do you really think that they aren't? I'm mildly offended by this

kenney9226

eHalcyon wrote:You should try to get them to read as well though, in order to boost their reading level.

Yes, reading is good too. The audiobooks fill my otherwise wasted commuting time (14 days in 2007!). My kids are required to read for 15 minutes a day by their schoolteachers. They frequently go over time, although I know not where they get that from. Perhaps it skipped a generation!

ansharp

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ansharp

Good morning, everyone!

I feel like such a slacker with only two entries ready for noon... I guess I'm keeping in par with my usual zero entries ready at noon, so alas.

eHalcyon

mia3mom wrote:um, really? do you really think that they aren't? I'm mildly offended by this

Eep, sorry! I wasn't insinuating anything - just sharing an interesting tidbit I remembered (that might not even be true).

mia3mom

eHalcyon wrote:Eep, sorry! I wasn't insinuating anything - just sharing an interesting tidbit I remembered (that might not even be true).

no one in our family can read in the car without getting carsick. so audiobooks rock for us. I also read to them for about an hour a day, and they read for at least a half hour a day, and I read over 100 books this past winter.

Our librarians know us by name and taste in books. Trust me, audio books aren't damaging the literacy of anyone here.

But also, if you have a learning disability that pertains to reading, audio books are a great way of "reading" books that you might otherwise not be able to read for several years. which can be a social handicap if everyone else you know has read them.

We also loved Series of Unfortunate Events in audio book and Artemis Fowl series, too

eHalcyon

mia3mom wrote:no one in our family can read in the car without getting carsick. so audiobooks rock for us. I also read to them for about an hour a day, and they read for at least a half hour a day, and I read over 100 books this past winter.

Our librarians know us by name and taste in books. Trust me, audio books aren't damaging the literacy of anyone here.

But also, if you have a learning disability that pertains to reading, audio books are a great way of "reading" books that you might otherwise not be able to read for several years. which can be a social handicap if everyone else you know has read them.

We also loved Series of Unfortunate Events in audio book and Artemis Fowl series, too

I get a bit dizzy when I read in the car but I sometimes do it anyway. My mom always told me not to.

My comment about damaging literacy was really just a joke. I am sincerely sorry if I've insulted you.

kenney9226

eHalcyon wrote:I get a bit dizzy when I read in the car but I sometimes do it anyway. My mom always told me not to.

My comment about damaging literacy was really just a joke. I am sincerely sorry if I've insulted you.

Here's a slogan:

My child ain't more illiterate than yours

Schrobblehead

eHalcyon wrote:I get a bit dizzy when I read in the car but I sometimes do it anyway.

Hopefully not while driving.

Canadians always do think Americans are dumb, ey? I know some Canadians and they always ask me to remind them if we started learning to read in junior high or high school. I'm always like "for the hundrieth time. Junior High!"

eHalcyon

Schrobblehead wrote:Hopefully not while driving.

Canadians always do think Americans are dumb, ey? I know some Canadians and they always ask me to remind them if we started learning to read in junior high or high school. I'm always like "for the hundrieth time. Junior High!"

I think most Canadians are aware that Americans are just as smart as Canadians, if not more so. I mean, we don't have any ivy league colleges up here. It's just another common stereotyping joke.

Similarly, I think most Americans are aware that it isn't always cold and icy in Canada (we have two months of warmth) and that we do have electricity in our igloos. There's also the stereotype that Canadians drink a lot of beer, but that isn't true either. Probably. I'm actually a teetotaler.

Since this is somewhat on topic...

Here's a vocabulary game brought to you by the United Nations. For every word you get right, a grain of rice will get donated to some needy nation.

Iambusyeating

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Iambusyeating
eHalcyon wrote:
Here's a vocabulary game brought to you by the United Nations. For every word you get right, a grain of rice will get donated to some needy nation.

I'm a big fan of Free Rice. Here's a spoof of the site I made when I was first learning Photoshop.

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm32/iambusyeating/finalricekrispiepsdcopy.jpg

Schrobblehead

eHalcyon wrote:I think most Canadians are aware that Americans are just as smart as Canadians, if not more so. I mean, we don't have any ivy league colleges up here. It's just another common stereotyping joke.

Similarly, I think most Americans are aware that it isn't always cold and icy in Canada (we have two months of warmth) and that we do have electricity in our igloos. There's also the stereotype that Canadians drink a lot of beer, but that isn't true either. Probably. I'm actually a teetotaler.

Since this is somewhat on topic...

I took it, but when I got to "aphasia" I couldn't find the correct response -- "half of asia" spoken in a cockney accent.

Edit: does that thing ever end? I donated 980 grains of rice, which is like $.50 worth of rice. Couldn't I just send them a check for $1 and save 10 minutes.

eHalcyon

Iambusyeating wrote:I'm a big fan of Free Rice. Here's a spoof of the site I made when I was first learning Photoshop.

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm32/iambusyeating/finalricekrispiepsdcopy.jpg

I applaud thee, occupied-with-consumption guy.

Iambusyeating

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Iambusyeating
Schrobblehead wrote:I took it, but when I got to "aphasia" I couldn't find the correct response -- "half of asia" spoken in a cockney accent.

Edit: does that thing ever end? I donated 980 grains of rice, which is like $.50 worth of rice. Couldn't I just send them a check for $1 and save 10 minutes.

Donate $100 worth and then take the SAT.

eHalcyon

Schrobblehead wrote:I took it, but when I got to "aphasia" I couldn't find the correct response -- "half of asia" spoken in a cockney accent.

Neverending. You could set yourself a goal and quit when you get there. The best I've done I've done is level 47, but I didn't stay there long. I generally hover around 42.

Webfoot08

quality posts: 6 Private Messages Webfoot08
mia3mom wrote:um, really? do you really think that they aren't? I'm mildly offended by this

Good morning everyone.

eHalcyon, I'm just guessing, but I don't think she means she's offended at you, just at what that librarian said. I thought it was kind of dumb, too, but you didn't say it, they did.

My kindergarten teacher, upon discovering that I was reading at 4th grade level when I started school, told my mom it was better to give a child a loaded gun than to teach them to read before they started school. My mother said something unrepeatable here and promptly put me in a different school.

I have 3 entries this derby, one of which will likely be rejectorated. May think of another, but I'm feeling lazy these days so perhaps not.

Webfoot08

eHalcyon wrote:Neverending. You could set yourself a goal and quit when you get there. The best I've done I've done is level 47, but I didn't stay there long. I generally hover around 42.

Isnt aphasia the inability to swallow? No, that's aphagia. Aphasia is like unconsciousness, I think. Without looking it up, and drawing on my experience in medical transcription.

EDIT: I keep quoting the wrong entry and replying in a seemingly crazy way. Oh, well.

Webfoot08

Here's a scrabble game you can play solitaire. It sometimes burps and kicks you out in mid-game, but there's always another one to play.

http://www.scrabulous.com/solitaire_scrabulous.php

eHalcyon

Webfoot08 wrote:Good morning everyone.

eHalcyon, I'm just guessing, but I don't think she means she's offended at you, just at what that librarian said. I thought it was kind of dumb, too, but you didn't say it, they did.

My kindergarten teacher, upon discovering that I was reading at 4th grade level when I started school, told my mom it was better to give a child a loaded gun than to teach them to read before they started school. My mother said something unrepeatable here and promptly put me in a different school.

I have 3 entries this derby, one of which will likely be rejectorated. May think of another, but I'm feeling lazy these days so perhaps not.

No, I said "you should get them to read" and unintentionally implied that they weren't. I need to think more before I speak.

Also - your kindergarten teacher was nuts.

Schrobblehead

Iambusyeating wrote:Donate $100 worth and then take the SAT.

Good advice. I just need a time machine so I go back 11 years and make it useful.

Webfoot08

eHalcyon wrote:No, I said "you should get them to read" and unintentionally implied that they weren't. I need to think more before I speak.

Also - your kindergarten teacher was nuts.

Ah, I see.

Trying to think of a way to do the thumb (the 240 x 240 image) so it won't just have a bit of text on it, - I suppose that's really all you can do, right?

eHalcyon

Webfoot08 wrote:Ah, I see.

Trying to think of a way to do the thumb (the 240 x 240 image) so it won't just have a bit of text on it, - I suppose that's really all you can do, right?

I'm just displaying full text. Meh.

SkekTek

Another potential entry:

eHalcyon

eHalcyon wrote:I'm just displaying full text. Meh.

Scratch that on at least one design... it looks super fuzzy if I show it all.

Webfoot08

SkekTek wrote:Another potential entry:

Heh. Funny.

Webfoot08

eHalcyon wrote:Scratch that on at least one design... it looks super fuzzy if I show it all.

On mine, I'm just displaying the key word in a repeating pattern, and on one, I put the classic "click here" reminder, as if people didn't know.